Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 750305 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2011, 10:33:38 AM »
As soon as comparisons are made between Abbott and Latham, you know you're on borrowed time  :thumbsup

lol

Throw Damir Dokic in the mix and you have 3 of the country's finest

The Australian Abbott and Latham and the Serbian Dokic.

Three of the country's finest?

Yeah right.

:lol

Serbian, Australian dont matter. All 3 are losers. FACT!!

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2011, 03:49:13 AM »
Here's the front on footage of Abbott during that Ch 7 interview with Mark Riley

http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/national/watch/24172767/248154/?cmp=twitter

FNM

« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2011, 05:18:53 AM »

Offline dizza

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2011, 07:29:30 PM »
don't mind the tax in itself, the problem is that it just seems like yet another one in a whole line of new taxes. i think that's what the main argument is against it, the principle of introducing taxes rather than coming up with other ways of funding it is what annoys most of the people who are against it. the $1 per week surely can't be the problem!
Push up!

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2011, 09:41:16 AM »
How much again did the Howard/Abbott government give to the tsunami appeal?
Not that I'm against a donation, but it was whopping in comparison to other countries
Who are they to complain about a small levy FFS!

Yeah but they had a surplus to play with. You can do that sort of thing when you have fiscally responsible government. ::) Can you honestly say that we are financially better off since Labor took power in 07? Sure the economy is good on the back of the mining industry but that does not mean the country is financially better off. On the face of things, this tax may seem like a nice shiny feel good type of arrangement, pulling at the heart strings of the average Australian,  but in the end all the proceeds go to the governments bottom line and its just another attempt by this farcical labor government to try and dig its way out of its own financial black hole. It knows that its estimates on the back of the resources sector revenue forecasts will not get them into surplus in the promised time so they are looking for anything that will bring revenue back into their water bucket with holes.

Jillard and Swine are the political version of Zig and Zag. If they used their tiny brains for just one moment, all they had to do was say that we will tax you if you do not make a donation to an official charity supporting flood relief. In other words, if you cannot produce a receipt for the required amount at tax time, we will hit you with a levy on your tax return. At least we would be given the opportunity to send the money directly to the organisations that need it instead of it going into the governments coffers and while it sits there, it also makes their bottom line look oh so much better!!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2011, 02:28:55 PM »
Jillard and Swine are the political version of Zig and Zag. If they used their tiny brains for just one moment, all they had to do was say that we will tax you if you do not make a donation to an official charity supporting flood relief. In other words, if you cannot produce a receipt for the required amount at tax time, we will hit you with a levy on your tax return.

Interesting idea tiga. How would you get it to work though? Would you set a minimum limit on what people would have to donate?

Because I can see people donating say $10 (but can afford alot more) and saying "i've donated so you can't charge me the levy of $50-$100" and that wouldn't be fair on those who donate say $50+
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2011, 10:59:55 PM »
Jillard and Swine are the political version of Zig and Zag. If they used their tiny brains for just one moment, all they had to do was say that we will tax you if you do not make a donation to an official charity supporting flood relief. In other words, if you cannot produce a receipt for the required amount at tax time, we will hit you with a levy on your tax return.

Interesting idea tiga. How would you get it to work though? Would you set a minimum limit on what people would have to donate?

Because I can see people donating say $10 (but can afford alot more) and saying "i've donated so you can't charge me the levy of $50-$100" and that wouldn't be fair on those who donate say $50+
The levy is towards rebuilding major infrastructure anyway while donations temporarily help the victims of the floods until the get back up on their feet so if people only donated then nothing would be rebuilt and it would delay people ever getting back to some form of normality. Donations such as via a telathon don't generate $1.8b either.

I don't buy that line that a levy will reduce donations anyway. The levy is going to cost the vast majority of people less than $5 a week for a year. Hardly a dent to the family budget. We didn't see a sudden surge in donations to charities when taxpayers were handed $900 by the Government as part of the stimulus package so why would the reverse necessarily be true. The opposition to the levy is mainly political postering.

ps. By the way where are those who say there's no factionalism in the Liberal party :wallywink.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2011, 12:11:17 PM »
Firstly to answer WP's question, I would recommend a set amount based on a persons income as they are doing with the proposed tax.

Now onto MT's comment. As far as I am concerned, infrastructure should be sorted by the government without new taxes but they are obviously not competent enough to do so. How have we done this in the past?? We have had major disasters before...Cyclone's Tracy & Larry, Vic Bushfires etc...etc...and we have rebuilt from those without adding a whole new tax!  Just because this government is so financially incompetent and we have no surplus to play with why should we have to pay again?? We are encouraging the government to be incompetent by supporting another tax.
Cut waste in other areas!! Scrap the NBN....Oh I forgot...that won't help at all...Why?? Because its all borrowed money.... :banghead

Oh hang on...Hey here's a good idea...how about we sort out the asylum seeker issue to the point where we are no longer spending 2.5 million dollars a month on hotel accommodation for them. There's $30 million a year that could go to infrastructure rebuilding for starters. And then we get onto the if only's like the BER, Insulation scheme & cash for clunkers....ROFLMAAAOO

if we were one of Jillards kids with a bad cold She would be say to us..."Sorry, I know you're not well but I will have to take the cost of your medicine out of your pocket money this month as I've spent all our spare cash on ciggies, pokies and beer!"

Answer one question.....Are we better off financially as a country since labor has been in power?? There is only one answer despite what some of you might say and that is NO!!
I'm all for donating to flood relief and I have done so already, but I am not going to prop up this totally incompetent labor government just because they do not know how to manage their own finances.
 Oh and while we are at it. how about Jillard on one hand draping herself in her patriotic Aussie flag recently and on the other hand she will not approve a measly $30,000 of annual funding to maintain the Australian War memorial. I'd forget about factionalism MT and start looking at this governments double standards!!

2.6 million dollars a month to people who are not even australian citizens vs $30000 a year towards the memory of our Men and women who fought and died for this country...Food for thought ....

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2011, 03:05:39 PM »
Oh and while we are at it. how about Jillard on one hand draping herself in her patriotic Aussie flag recently and on the other hand she will not approve a measly $30,000 of annual funding to maintain the Australian War memorial. I'd forget about factionalism MT and start looking at this governments double standards!!

2.6 million dollars a month to people who are not even australian citizens vs $30000 a year towards the memory of our Men and women who fought and died for this country...Food for thought ....

Just to clarify tiga, my understanding is they want $3 mil for the war memorial now and then $30k a year, I am sure that's what I read in yesterday's paper under Andrew Bolt's weekly rant  ;D

But like you IMHO it should be given to them whatever it costs and get it done  :thumbsup

And in aswer to your question tiga about are we better off now under this govt? In all seriousness, I can honestly say that yes my family is better off than what we were say five years ago.... why? there is a mutlitude of reasons for it and I don't necessarily give kudos to the govt for it but overrall I can say yep we (my family) are generally better off now

10 FLAGS

« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2011, 03:58:18 PM »
If Gillard and the rest of the circus invent a Tiger Levy forcing every scumbag pie and bloo and bomber supporter to pay up then I will consider that she has done a great thing for the nation. Until then I stick with my appraisal that this is the worst government in Australian Political History.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2011, 04:57:36 PM »
If Gillard and the rest of the circus invent a Tiger Levy forcing every scumbag pie and bloo and bomber supporter to pay up then I will consider that she has done a great thing for the nation. Until then I stick with my appraisal that this is the worst government in Australian Political History.

Flagman, you need to go back further and look at the late 60's & early 70's some shockers there  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2011, 05:18:49 PM »
Answer one question.....Are we better off financially as a country since labor has been in power??
I am  :thumbsup

Wouldn't we rather spend money on the living than the dead tiga? Showing compassion to a fellow human being isn't a sign of weakness. Cutting back on foreign aid as Abbott and Mr "one nation" Morrison wanted especially cutting funding towards building schools overseas is insular thinking. I'd rather kids in impoverished countries be given a chance to learn at a real school. It's better than them being brainwashed from a young age by religious and/or political nutcases to attack and kill Aussies.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2011, 10:08:20 AM »
Why should we be forced to choose MT? We haven't had to in the past. Don't forget its the actions of these brave men and women in the past who have provided for us the freedoms that we enjoy today. Lest we forget.

Not sure if everyone knows this but the reason why this tax is going to be implemented is because unlike every other state, Queensland decided not to take out infrastructure disaster insurance. Why? because life has been very good in the sunshine state for quite some time and during this time they have self insured. So whilst Anna Bligh has been genuinely saddened by what has happened, she really needs a big boot up the rear end for not taking the correct precautions in the best interest of her state and the country, and as such the Federal government as per agreement has to pay for any costs not covered by insurance. And since they have no insurance, The Australian people have to pick up the entire tab! Thanks Anna, you are a completely incompetent saint!  :banghead   

FNM

« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2011, 10:25:48 AM »
John Key has said NZ will contemplate a similar levy after their disaster
Haven't ruled it in or out as yet, but will more than likely come up for consideration.
I wonder if Kiwis will be more generous and not so whining as their Aussie counterparts.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2011, 10:47:51 AM »
They have disaster insurance as a start.