Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 739259 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2011, 03:58:04 AM »
I agree Riley should be ashamed of him self.
I have lost all respect for him as a political reporter.

yeah he should be ashamed; doesn't even know how to ambush a politician  :rollin

Fancy briefing Tony's press secretary about the upcoming story they intended to run by giving them a transcript of the defense video and then having a number of conversations with said press secretary 2.5 hours before Tony met with Riley (btw it was Tony's press sec who arranged the "interview"....

Disgraceful effort by Mark Riley. Laurie Oakes would never do such a thing, he just blindsides and ambushes - National Press CLub anyone  ;D

Actually what yesterday's "story" highlighted was that without his minders around Tony continues put his foot in it. That was why he was so good during the election campaign the miders wouldn't allow him to get into situations like yesterday

And if we want to point fingers at who should be "ashamed" of themselves may I suggest that the Libs can put their hands up because if the hadn't of surpressed the defense force video in the first place then they could have controlled this whole thing rather than creating the mess Tony now finds himself in   
please just consider this for a minute. 

If Tony said something so wrong in the context your talking about then why were ALL the SOLDIERS agreeing with him? You think atleast ONE of them would have said something? 

Riley admitted he watched the whole footage looking for something because the libs only wanted a short edited 8 minutes of footage which was initialy released.
Well did ANY of you who are so quick to judge Tony, even consider that out of respect to the dead soldiers and their families they didn't want to release anything that would be more torture for all families involved?

I admit that the silence and nodding during the exchange that I saw with Riley and Tony was uncomfortable to say the least. After hearing 3 radio interviews with Riley he admitted he was perplexed at the anger that Tony was manifesting toward him. Are you serious? Trying to drudge up something out of nothing without any thought if the families involved and the impact it may cause, especially the soldier in question. I'm sure he was thinking "Id like to clock this guy but out of respect to the families I'm gonna keep my mouth shut". 
Did Riley ask the Soldiers why they were so insensative as to agree with what Tony had said? I'm sure they would have knocked his teeth out.
The context was in relation to this leaked email from a soldier criticising the lack of firepower and military intelligence
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/top-brass-angry-over-soldiers-email-leak/1948292.aspx

Obviously some on the front line disagree with the top brass Abbott was talking to that "s--- happens". The generals with military and combat experience may get away with such a poor turn of phrase but not a pollie who wouldn't have a clue about what combat on the front line is like. Sorry it's very easy to say "s--- happens" when you never ever had your own life on the line.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

FNM

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2011, 04:48:59 AM »
all we got was rAbbott in the headlights :wallywink.
Oh, I like that. Permission to use elsewhere? lol  :rollin
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:58:29 AM by FNM »

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2011, 05:14:46 AM »
Oh, I like that. Permission to use elsewhere????? lol  :rollin

I was thinking the same thing and will use it elsewhere.

A classic line that we need to feed to the papers.

:thumbsup

FNM

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2011, 05:23:11 AM »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2011, 07:04:36 AM »

If Tony said something so wrong in the context your talking about then why were ALL the SOLDIERS agreeing with him? You think atleast ONE of them would have said something?  

Riley admitted he watched the whole footage looking for something because the libs only wanted a short edited 8 minutes of footage which was initialy released.
Well did ANY of you who are so quick to judge Tony, even consider that out of respect to the dead soldiers and their families they didn't want to release anything that would be more torture for all families involved?

Well if you use that argument then doesn't that just further highlight that the words Tony used were dumb, stupid and insensitive towards the families as well?

Bottom line Tony as our alternate PM (that's what he is don't forget that) made a serious error in judgement in the choice of words he used. His minders tried to cover it up by trying to stop the release of the video by contestng Ch7's FOI request.

Simply they stuffed up, they should accept it because as a result we have "s--- happens gate"

Seems they can dish it out but can't take it

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:24:47 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2011, 08:56:06 AM »

Well if you use that argument then doesn't that just further highlight that the words Tony used were dumb, stupid and insensitive towards the families as well?

Bottom line Tony as our alternate PM (that's what he is don't forget that) made a serious error in judgement in the choice of words he used. His minders tried to cover it up by trying to stop the release of the video by contestng Ch7's FOI request.

Simply they stuffed up, they should accept it because as a result we have "s--- happens gate"

Seems they can dish it out but can't take it

that's rubbish WP. The libs withheld the tape because of the sensitivity of the subject in respect to all families concerned. I don't think anyone expected that one statement could be misinterpreted as it was.

It was more likely the fact that he's shooting firearms which doesn't look good to some for the reason not to show that.

I'll mention it again incase you all didn't understand.
IF TONY SAID ANYTHING WRONG THEN WHY DID ALL THE SOLDIERS AGREE WITH HIS STATEMENT?  

Edited to correct quote
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:24:16 AM by WilliamPowell »
The club that keeps giving.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2011, 09:36:19 AM »
that's rubbish WP. The libs withheld the tape because of the sensitivity of the subject in respect to all families concerned. I don't think anyone expected that one statement could be misinterpreted as it was.

It was more likely the fact that he's shooting firearms which doesn't look good to some for the reason not to show that.

IF TONY SAID ANYTHING WRONG THEN WHY DID ALL THE SOLDIERS AGREE WITH HIS STATEMENT?  

Mr Tigra, no need to yell  ;D :thumbsup

The issue is not whether the soldiers agreed the issue is the words he used. Although, your use of the word "ALL" is a bit of poetic license as I would hope you mean "all the soliders with him at the time" as opposed the broad sweeping "ALL SOLDIERS"  

Personally I dont think he meant in any to be disrespectful towards the soldier that was killed in battle but I have a major probelm with how the alternate PM of this country conducted himself in that interview with Riley

The reality is he should have chosen his words more carefully. His choice of words was simply stupid.

He has been misinterpreted in part because of the way he conducted himself in the interview with Riley. Seeing his press person was briefed (they were given the entire transcript) on what was going to be shown and one can only assume the press person then briefed Abbott. They had ample opportuinity to be have the answer ready but didn't

There is absolutely no excuse for his "bubble head doll" effort the other day. If he believed he was taken out of contect then he could have explained how because I will tell you with 2.5 hours to prepare myself if wouldn't have been that hard. But instead he stood there and showed that he is still the hothead he has always been when he is under the pump.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:35:49 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2011, 01:34:44 PM »

Mr Tigra, no need to yell  ;D :thumbsup

The issue is not whether the soldiers agreed the issue is the words he used. Although, your use of the word "ALL" is a bit of poetic license as I would hope you mean "all the soliders with him at the time" as opposed the broad sweeping "ALL SOLDIERS"   

Personally I dont think he meant in any to be disrespectful towards the soldier that was killed in battle but I have a major probelm with how the alternate PM of this conutey conducted himself in that interview with Riley

The reality is he should have chosen his words more carefully. His choice of words was simply stupid.

He has been misinterpreted in part because of the way he conducted himself in the interview with Riley. Seeing his press person was briefed (they were given the entire transcript) on what was going to be shown and one can only assume the press person then briefed Abbott. They had ample opportuinity to be have the answer ready but didn't

There is absolutely no excuse for his "bubble head doll" effort the other day. If he believed he was taken out of contect then he could have explained how because I will tell you with 2.5 hours to prepare myself if wouldn't have been that hard. But instead he stood there and showed that he is still the hothead he has always been when he is under the pump.

Sorry WP I wasn't yelling just using capitals for emphasis.
And yes I meant ALL soldiers present at the time.

As I said in an earlier post that the silence was excruciatingly uncomfortable to watch. But as it may detract  from his personality with some people I think it shows how much of a real person he is. Putting his foot in it now and again shows he's as human as you and I. And not just some puppett wheeled out every so often robotically saying what HAS to be said.
Julia showed true emotion the other day.... Magnificent. It proves to us all she is actually real. I don't mind the odd gaff by a politician. I think alot of us are all sick of all the spin and want real people to stand up and show real leadership.

As of Riley and channel seven. I guess it was a ratings winner but in reality they just made up a story and went with it. They obviously had no concern with the impact it had on the families of the dead soldiers. I heard 2 radio interviews yesterday with two seperate families that were truly disgusted with 7 and Riley to confirm to me that they weren't pleased with the topic being raised. They also stated that they weren't upset at what Tony had said at all.
Fact was that it was a total media beatup if I've ever seen one.     
The club that keeps giving.

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2011, 01:44:25 PM »
Simple fact is that there was nothing wrong with Mr Abbott's "poo happens" comment.

It was the silence that was a little disturbing, either he was like a rabbit stuck in the headlights or he was trying to control that anger of his.

The idea that it was a dignified silence is a crock and everyone knows it even though some won't admit it.

:outtahere

FNM

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2011, 06:20:59 AM »
As soon as comparisons are made between Abbott and Latham, you know you're on borrowed time  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2011, 01:14:06 PM »
Oh, I like that. Permission to use elsewhere? lol  :rollin
:thumbsup
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

10 FLAGS

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2011, 04:07:44 PM »
Gillard and Labor are trying to stitch up University students now. Its just disgraceful. Thankfully Abbott and the Libs are trying to ensure that Labor doesnt get to cut benefits for university students who are already on the breadline. Labor should be ashamed of themselves. They really should. Its just disgraceful.

Offline Fruity Morgan

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2011, 06:49:01 PM »
However it was the libs that gutted university funds for services and clubs by introducing the VSU.

ALP are bringing it back

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2011, 10:48:44 PM »
As soon as comparisons are made between Abbott and Latham, you know you're on borrowed time  :thumbsup

lol

Throw Damir Dokic in the mix and you have 3 of the country's finest
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2011, 08:13:25 AM »

lol

Throw Damir Dokic in the mix and you have 3 of the country's finest

The Australian Abbott and Latham and the Serbian Dokic.

Three of the country's finest?

Yeah right.

:lol