Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 774455 times)

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #1485 on: June 27, 2013, 07:40:31 PM »
Despite the fact Julia Gillard isn't attractive, I find myself wanting her. Not sure what that means.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1486 on: June 27, 2013, 07:59:21 PM »

Game on.

:lol

This election just got interesting.

Time for another Don's Party.

:cheers

Offline Crazy_Ivan

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1487 on: June 27, 2013, 08:27:10 PM »
No Centrelink payments for Julia.As a taxpayer i admire her.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1488 on: June 27, 2013, 09:03:43 PM »
Don't know if you call it lying but Abbott's been threatening bring a "no confidence" motion against the govt for months now. Said if they changed leaders he'd do it, well they changed leaders and Tony refused to do it.

So he promised the people a no confidence motion and then said nope is that lying? Wimping out? Or both  :rollin :rollin

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1489 on: June 27, 2013, 09:08:24 PM »
It's been a good year with the Tiges doing well and so much to laugh at with the Demons, Dons and the labor party.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #1490 on: June 27, 2013, 09:24:20 PM »
Don't know if you call it lying but Abbott's been threatening bring a "no confidence" motion against the govt for months now. Said if they changed leaders he'd do it, well they changed leaders and Tony refused to do it.

So he promised the people a no confidence motion and then said nope is that lying? Wimping out? Or both  :rollin :rollin
Grasping at straws there WP?
Kevin '07 will probably call an early election.
..well that's what the "experts" reckon anyway.

Try again. Im looking for a more substatial lie. Something more blatant think of how Julia goes about it.  :thumbsup
The club that keeps giving.

Rampstar

« Reply #1491 on: June 27, 2013, 10:13:56 PM »
Gillard lacked political judgement but she was a better PM than KRudd. In time people and when the memories fade of the gender war rubbish, the peter slipper speaker situation, the issues surrounding craig thompson, and the mistakes on policy for example even one of the more minor policy mistakes - banning the entire live export cattle industry and stuffing up an entire industry instead of just banning individual slaughterhouese, when all those start to fade Gillard will find a place as Australia's first woman PM and the woman who delived DisabilityCare in particular. I think she can be most proud of this. Rudd on the other hand just has pink batts. So IMHO history will judge her much kinder than Rudd. Its why Whitlam is still much loved today, he ran a brothel of a government but today we have Medicare which he started. Its a core policy that will stand the test of time, Gillard IMO produced one of these but Rudd hasnt.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1492 on: June 27, 2013, 10:32:20 PM »

Try again. Im looking for a more substatial lie. Something more blatant think of how Julia goes about it.  :thumbsup

You asked for lie or broken promise and I gave you one. All pollies lie, some are just better at hiding it than others. No grasping at straws Tony said one thing but when the acid was on he wimped out again. Lets see if can keep his promise about the boats you know stopping them and turning them around.

But I am done with politics, don't care anymore. Because the choice we have is between 2 ego driven duds with not a policy betwen them, so we really have no choice at all
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1493 on: June 27, 2013, 11:10:20 PM »

From memory didn't Gillard say she would put the migration amendments so the Malaysia solution could happen to the floor for a vote so she would have a name of everyone who voted against it but yet she never did in the end because she didn't have the numbers. The same with Abbott's no confidence motion why put it to the floor when the independents have already publicly said they wouldn't support it.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1494 on: June 28, 2013, 03:55:21 AM »

http://www.phonytonyabbott.com/

Take your pick.

The man is a lying prick who will do and say anything to get power.

The one good thing about Rudd taking over is that it will stop Tony getting control of the Senate.

As for me I have no idea who to vote for but it will not be Tony.

Pity Turnbull hasn't the guts (or the numbers) to challenge Tony, him I could vote for.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1495 on: June 28, 2013, 05:38:25 AM »
Bill Shorten is like a typical hawthorn supporter.
He just supports whoever is winning at the time.

This guy is touted as the next labour leader. He will be the most distrusted leader in history.

And most certainly will be a victim of his own disloyalty.
Live by the sword die by the sword.
And he has knifed, not one, but two prime ministers.
  :fencing
It's the nature of politics on both sides. Bad polls equals bye bye leader. No different to the coach always getting the sack when the footy team is losing. Fraser killed off Gorton's prime ministership but it didn't stop him becoming PM just 4-5 years later. Peacock then used Fraser's own words (used against Gorton) against him when he challenged (but failed) and then along with Jeff Kennett back-stabbed Howard via a phone call. Hawke rolled Hayden on the eve of the 1983 election when Hayden was in front in the polls. Hawke then bumped Hayden up to GG as a thank you.

It's very easy to explain Shorten's thinking. Labor's internal polls showed their second Senate spot in a number of states (Qld being one of them - hello Kev and welcome back) was under threat. This second spot is usually a given for both parties (4 Senate seats in total) and it's typically the 3rd spot on each ticket that is up for grabs between Labor, Coalition and any alternative individual/party (Greens or  Family First nowdays or from the past Democrats & DLP). Remember there are 6 senators voted in per state. Losing a stack of seats in the House of Reps is painful but at the end of the day it doesn't matter if a majority government has one more seat or 50 - their legislation stills gets through the lower house. It's in the Senate where bills are passed into practice. Labor wants to at least hold onto their second Senate seat in each state and then along with the Greens prevent Abbott gaining a majority in both houses. Shorten is still a relatively young man compared to his political peers and he can play the long game. He knows that within 5-10 years the wheel turns in politics and he also knows neither Rudd nor Gillard (who is now quitting politics) will still be around by then.
The facts remain that Bill "we're a happy team at hawthorn" Shorten.

He said "I continue to support our Prime Minister".
That was until someone said "billy, big Kev has the numbers"
And then just like every typical whorethorn wanker I know jumps back on board the Ruddster.

You might have got away with that rubbish years ago but not this time buddy.

...and MT I read every Post you write as I value your opinion but I haven't read what your thoughts are on the joke that is the ALP. Waiting patiently.
You'll find regarding Shorten, it was the other way round. Rudd didn't have the numbers for sure until Shorten switched (Penny Wong was another high profile Gillard supporter to switch). Shorten sat down with Rudd either Monday or Tuesday.

I do find people arcing up over leadership changes quite amusing. We have a Westminster political system and as much as people find it hard to accept, you do NOT get to vote for the leader of any party. You only get to vote to elect your local MP to the House of Reps plus 6 senators (12 if there's a double dissolution). The MPs and Senators who belong to particular party (that party's Caucus) then determine that party's leader. That's the system we've had for the past 112 years since Federation. There is NO mention of either the position of Prime Minister nor Cabinet in our Constitution. We don't have a Presidential system where the leader is "voted by the people, for the people".  If you don't like the system and think this is a "joke" then you should be out there advocating Constitutional change/reform which is something we do need. It's the costly elephant in the room for a number of reasons. If you voted against the Republic in 1999 and voted to stick with the current system then you have no right to whinge about it. You voted for it!

As for Labor - they'll lose the upcoming election obviously so as I said this was done to save as much of the furniture and to attempt to stop the Coalition gaining control of both houses. We all know what happened last time that happened (Workchoices introduced without a mandate ... ummm that was a lie wasn't it by Abbott's definition and he was apart of that Government :whistle ). You can't trust any politician.

If you want a joke there's the Coalition's broadband policy - you get two tin cans connected by a piece of copper wire while we as taxpayers will pay $29 billion for a broadband service that doesn't reach us unless we individually fork out a further $6000 :rollin. That's the issue for me - policies. Labor has had its duds (pink bats, promising a surplus when it didn't need to :facepalm) and poorly sold to public the good ones but despite all the shananigans though, the country is still in strong shape - a growing economy, low unemployment, low interest rates, low debt and AAA rating. Of the very few major Lib policies that we have some actual detail about, they are all duds. There's Abbott's parental leave tax on business. The so-called 'direct' action plan where we subsidise polluters/emitters to the tune of $1300 each without any guarantee nor mechanism to actually lower emissions. Isn't that just another new tax? The irony is the actual Carbon Tax isn't really a major issue anymore - it's more the broken promise that nailed Gillard. What's actually embarrassing for Labor is those behind the scenes who are meant to be election strategists don't no how to explain nor fight for their policies and overall record and against Abbott's. As a relative said to me, it's an indictment on Labor right now that a moron like Abbott will become PM. I would say that's another reason that swayed Labor MPs back to Rudd. He's shown in the past to be an effective election campaigner unlike Gillard. It won't save Labor but it might save some seats particularly in the Senate.

Btw Tigra & daniel, a question for you guys - Do you get (or have in the past been) paid any penalty rates?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1496 on: June 28, 2013, 09:51:49 AM »
Not since about 2005, your point is MT.

I'm self employed but my wife is on mat leave and operates under the penalty rates system and if it gets abolished well so be it i wont be complaining.

Small businesses are doing it tough also and a move on penalty rates might help that sector. It may also lift employment  as they can now pay wages that they previously couldn't.

We are in a good shape but guess what we were in a better shape under a coalition government. Low rates is hardly a win all round. Low rates means the economy is slowing and not all people benefit.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1497 on: June 28, 2013, 09:56:04 AM »

Mr Rabbit is a lying slimy turd who will put his own personal yearning for power ahead of what is good for the country.

Since when has he lied?
Did he say he was going wasn't going to bring in a carbon tax under a government he leads and then bring in a carbon tax?
Did he say he wasn't going to contest the leadership of his party and then context the leadership of his party?

Since when has he put his own personal yearning for power ahead of what good for the country?
Did he side with the greens after he told his MP's to explicitly deny they were in a power sharing deal with the greens?
Did he side with the independents and pull his pants down to get rooted up the arse to give them every demand just to gain power?

I'm no expert on politics but I know who fits the answer to those questions. 

P. S. ... Now that Julia won't have a job and the bulldogs need a fiery forward she might be able to finally fulfill her promise to the "Australian people". 
And if she gets sledged on field or doesn't get a free kick she can just use her now famous catch cry "misogynist!" :lol
Now, 65 has given you a link to a site dedictaed to this subject, and ill give you a few direct examples shortly.

But first I'd very interested to know your thinking behind how pointing out that Abbot didnt do what someone else did, somehow is as argument that he is a good bloke?

You do understand that what Gillard did, or didn't do has absolutely no bearing on what abbot did, or didnt do, and vica versa? One does not negate the other, or make it acceptable

This sort of thinking actually highlights why most politicians hold and treat the voters with utter contempt. When someone points out a politician's lies and deceit, those that barrack for that side will steadfastly defend that politician by pointing out the lies and deceit of a politician for the other club. People are so wrapped up in their team that they just don't care what they do, as long as they can hang it on the the other team's players.

The ALP really dont care what people like you think of them, because you will never vote for them. The libs on the other hand think it is great that no matter how low they sink, they know that they can always count on your vote.

This works the other way with blind unthinking ALP barrackers too.

As for the swinging voters, well they see everyone doing it, so becomes a moot point, and we get politicians that will continue to lie to our faces and treat us with contempt.

As i said we get the politicians we deserve. Until the masses start turning away from the two major parties in droves, by either voting for smaller alternate parties, independents, donkey voting or even better simple not turning up to vote all, this will only get worse.

As for examples of Phoney Tony lying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmEULgdZI2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRouoxpF7S0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCT76sqo0bI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHALYgOQKzk

the full interview with abbot from the first link is a doozey. highlights just how inept our next prime minster is under pressure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShxmO4C6m0M

and probably the best clip that came up in the side box of one of these links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9JGQD-82zY

I understsand that sometimes people change their mind on things. In fact it is good that when circumstances change or new facts become known people change their mind rather than stick with some dogmatic view, but abbot will say what he wants when he wants and then just keeps digging deeper and deeper when he is caught out
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1498 on: June 28, 2013, 08:40:43 PM »

I like what I have seen from Rudd so far.

At least he has forced the Libs to talk about policy.

Might just have won my vote.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1499 on: June 29, 2013, 05:17:41 PM »

Even if Kevin doesn't win there will be a renewal for the Labor party.

There are seven ministers who will not recontest their safe seats.

This is an opportunity to get some much needed new blood into the party.

Interesting times.