Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766458 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #1680 on: September 06, 2013, 03:44:27 PM »

Anti Abbott but taking a bigger picture look at things.

Want Abbott to win narrowly without control of the senate and Rudd to lose his seat.

Abbott to take us to a double dissolution within 12 months. Would expect Abbott's lies and deceptions and hidden policies (see internet blocking policy accidentally announced yesterday) to emerge over the next 12 months and for him to lose at the next election.

:thumbsup   :cheers

:lol

But I can dream.

Ruanaidh

« Reply #1681 on: September 07, 2013, 11:41:30 AM »
What a diabolical state our Political scene is in. Other than the 3 usual suspects I had 3 'Christian' candidates to choose from. I wrote a commentary on the Rep voting chit and voted Wikileaks in the senate.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1682 on: September 07, 2013, 12:31:35 PM »
Election Day and we miss Ma Powell how she loved to vote  :laugh:

Anyway turn up and it's a schmoozle.

One polling booth but a booth allowing people vote in 2 different electorates (Gellibrand and Lalor)

Seems with a change in boundaries there is confusion as to which electorate certain residents of Altona Meadows are in.  :banghead :banghead :banghead

So we had 2 queues one for Gellibrand and one of Lalor but in a room so tiny that when I was actually voting the people on the Lalor queue waiting to get their names marked off were so close to me that hey could see who I was voting for

What a joke

Certainly sums up the state of politics in this country, a sick joke

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

dwaino

« Reply #1683 on: September 07, 2013, 12:52:49 PM »
My postcode is split between 2 electorates too, but they had separate classrooms at the school for Isaacs and Goldstein (and our local member is Mark Dreyfus, so how's that for the Jewish trifecta  :lol). I believe they also had booths for Hotham at the same school too. I just got there early and I had absolutely no issue. We had a change in boundaries in 2010 as well. I'm in an estate that would be no more than 18 months old that doesn't even appear on the electorate map and the road that the estate comes off is actually the electorate boundary so we got a fair bit of mail for candidates for the electorate across the road still but no issues. I just had a joke with the lady who gave me my ballot papers because it was only 8:30am and she was already struggling trying to find names.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1684 on: September 07, 2013, 01:02:40 PM »
If they had split the room it would havent been an issue but they are using one third of the room to service 2 electorates

Not good enough

AEC staff being clueless doesn't help

AEC Bloke says to me "where do you live in Altona Meadows?" I said "I'm in the Gellibrand electorate mate, no need to ask" his reply was "no your street what's the name of your street?"

Said "no need mate, I am in the Gellibrand Electorate can I please just go to get my name marked off and vote please?"

He said "No you have to tell me you street"

What the? Errr no I don't.

Clueless and he's getting paid good tax free dollars to be a moron today  :banghead

Gigantor

« Reply #1685 on: September 07, 2013, 01:10:26 PM »
Vote early and vote often good Richmond folk

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1686 on: September 07, 2013, 02:55:11 PM »

Out here in the electorate of Deakin (which will be one of the first to fall) they were set up in one of the new school gyms.

Lots of room, four tables for the normal voters and one for absentee voters.

All very efficient.

We had 12 candidates in the House of Reps and it seemed most of them had people handing out how to vote cards.

I'm all set up for the traditional Don's Party. Although tonight might be a bit of a wake. Good thing my Italian forebears know how to hold a wake.

Lots of Grappa and good food.

:cheers

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1687 on: September 07, 2013, 02:56:12 PM »
Vote early and vote often good Richmond folk

$70 fine but each vote still counts.

:thumbsup

:lol

Ruanaidh

« Reply #1688 on: September 07, 2013, 02:59:01 PM »
Election Day and we miss Ma Powell how she loved to vote  :laugh:

Anyway turn up and it's a schmoozle.

One polling booth but a booth allowing people vote in 2 different electorates (Gellibrand and Lalor)

Seems with a change in boundaries there is confusion as to which electorate certain residents of Altona Meadows are in.  :banghead :banghead :banghead

So we had 2 queues one for Gellibrand and one of Lalor but in a room so tiny that when I was actually voting the people on the Lalor queue waiting to get their names marked off were so close to me that hey could see who I was voting for

What a joke

Certainly sums up the state of politics in this country, a sick joke
It seems we are virtually neighbours ;)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1689 on: September 07, 2013, 03:08:29 PM »
Not half as disgusting as allowing thousands of people to drown by inviting queue-jumping immigrants to sail illegally to our country.
It's not illegal to seek asylum and if people are desperate enough they will choose to risk their lives for a chance of a better life. I'd guess it's easy for some Aussies to demonise others around the world when we're fortunately born into and living in a first world nation and can turn a blind eye to 90% of the rest of the world that isn't :whistle. Hate the people smugglers by all means that peddle lies and false promises to these people for $$$ but it's laughable a lot of Aussies blame, hate and are afraid of desperate people, often families, on rickety barely-seaworthy fishing boats who make up up to around just 7% of our total immigration intake (even when they are "flooding" in). It's so much about "border security" that our pollies on both sides waited years before trying to stop thousands of boat people arrivals until conveniently doing so just prior to an election when they were well behind in polls and needed a political circuit breaker :whistle. It's also so much about "border security" that the vast majority of these boat people have been eventually allowed into Australia as opposed to say arrivals via plane where the majority are found to be illegals. If there wasn't any political mileage from the boat people issue, the pollies wouldn't care. In time, future generations will look back on this period in Australian history with shame.

The great irony is cutting back significantly on foreign aid is more likely a genuine border security issue, at least in the mid-to-long-term, as one of major purposes of foreign aid is to help create and preserve stability and promote progress and development in third world nations so they don't regress into lawless rogue states that would pose a real direct threat to Australia and our interests. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1690 on: September 07, 2013, 03:25:12 PM »
Foreign aid 'not ATM for parties' 

by: Brendan Nicholson
September 06, 2013 12:00AM

THE Coalition's plan to slash foreign aid by $4.5 billion if it wins government has been widely condemned by aid agencies.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/election-2013/foreign-aid-not-atm-for-parties/story-fn9qr68y-1226712538909
Abbott wouldn't have needed to do this if he wasn't going to hand out up to $75,000 in even more middle and upper class welfare ::). No doubt it's popular (hey it's free $$$) to the electorate Abbott is targeting but so much for Joe Hockey rightly saying the Age of Entitlement is over. What happened to couples budgeting the year before having the baby like they had the baby already and then saving up the would-be expenses of the baby and putting it into a bank account so it was there when the baby actually arrived. Nah why take any self-responsibility when pollies throw around taxpayers' money like it's confetti to those that don't need it. Welcome to Australia - the welfare state!  :banghead.

As for the claim the foreign aid money will be used to build badly needed infrastructure - that's why virtually every major rail project will be cut. Oh well we've only waited the past 83 years and counting in Melbourne for a new suburban railway line to be built ::).

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1691 on: September 07, 2013, 03:37:42 PM »
If they had split the room it would havent been an issue but they are using one third of the room to service 2 electorates

Not good enough

AEC Bloke says to me "where do you live in Altona Meadows?" I said "I'm in the Gellibrand electorate mate, no need to ask" his reply was "no your street what's the name of your street?"

Said "no need mate, I am in the Gellibrand Electorate can I please just go to get my name marked off and vote please?"

Clueless and he's getting paid good tax free dollars to be a moron today  :banghead

Isn;t your address along side your name in their book. I didn't really pay attention and look this morning. Are you sure they aren't allowed to ask for your address incase their is 2 people with the same name,

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1692 on: September 07, 2013, 03:41:26 PM »
Anyway what's everyone predicting in terms of seats?

Looks like the ALP will lose 10-12 seats in NSW, 3-4 in Vic, 3 in Tas, 1 in SA. WA and Qld to remain as is as Labor holds few seats in those states anyway. That's a 1996-like 53-47 TPP victory to the Coalition and 90-ish seats to 50-ish. The main interest will be on the Senate. Greens holding the balance of power could mean double dissolution in 12-18 months time if Abbott carries through with his threat.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1693 on: September 07, 2013, 04:40:05 PM »

Not good enough

Isn;t your address along side your name in their book. I didn't really pay attention and look this morning. Are you sure they aren't allowed to ask for your address incase their is 2 people with the same name,

Not talking about going to the table and getting your name marked off, have to confirm your address sometimes no problem with that

I am talking about the moron at the door, who questioned ever person as they walked in to determine if they had to go the Lalor queue. He's job was to help people who were unsure not ask every single person what their street was. I know what bloody electorate I am in dont need this moron wasting my time

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #1694 on: September 07, 2013, 06:03:57 PM »
Ok ill have a stab.

Predicting an 82 to 55 result, 13 to be distributed between the greens, the overweight sunburnt others etc

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018