Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766158 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #2145 on: April 01, 2014, 04:40:13 AM »
Malcolm Fraser was asked once for his definition of poor.

He said poor families couldn't afford a second car.

Gigantor

« Reply #2146 on: April 01, 2014, 09:13:22 PM »
was he actually defining the term?Or just pointing out something that's probably true

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2147 on: April 01, 2014, 10:04:27 PM »
was he actually defining the term?Or just pointing out something that's probably true

No what he pointed out with that comment was he didn't have clue.

For the time it was stupid statement.

Wasn't a great PM Mr Fraser.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2148 on: April 01, 2014, 10:11:09 PM »
credit where credit due, he kept one promise
"Life wasn't meant to be easy"
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2149 on: April 02, 2014, 04:59:22 AM »
credit where credit due, he kept one promise
"Life wasn't meant to be easy"

Sounds a bit like the crap that comes out of Joe Hockey.

"The end of the age of entitlement"

For cleaners and pensioners at least but not for the rich who will get $75,000 in maternity leave.

:banghead

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2150 on: April 02, 2014, 05:48:41 AM »
 :lol

Tony Abbott has gone barking mad

March 27, 2014

Mike Carlton 

"Abbott !" said the Queen sharply. "Off the sofa, please. Sit there by the fire with Thatcher and Blair."

The corgi glared balefully at the monarch and gave a sullen little yap, but then waddled over to join the other dogs on the hearth. The Duke of Edinburgh raised his head from his customary breakfast fare of kippers and Horse & Hound magazine.

"Did I hear you call that dog Abbott?" he said. "I thought you named them after your prime ministers."

"We've run out of British PMs, dear. Abbott is the new Australian Prime Minister. Terry Abbott. Or is it Tony? One or the other."

Philip forked another fishy blob onto the ducal plate.

"Abbott," he said. " Abbott Abbott Abbott. Terry Abbott. Can't say I've ever heard of him."

The Queen gave a light sigh.

"Of course you have, Philip," she said. " We had him to lunch at Windsor last year. You said it was the most excruciatingly dull occasion you'd endured since the state dinner for George Bush."

"Ah yes. He kept banging on about being a Rhodes scholar."

"And told us some of the colleges at Oxford were very old and historic," said the Queen with a wry smile. "Who'd have thought it ?"

She poured herself another cup of tea. Spode china, milk and one, a tinkle with the teaspoon. The Duke lowered Horse & Hound.

"I suppose he's one of those Australian republican chappies, is he? Can't wait to get rid of us."

"Oh Lord no, " said the Queen. "Quite the opposite. He's more Tory than we are. He's just asked me to reintroduce knighthoods. Sir This and Dame That in the Order of Australia. Ridiculous, but one had to go along with it, of course. "

Philip snorted. "Some of your colonials still love the baubles," he said. " I suppose that means we'll have to fly out there for another bloody tour. "

"No dear. Been there, done that. Too old now. William and Kate are going out in a few weeks. Good practice for 'em."

"Thank Geez for that."

The Duke returned to his magazine. His wife selected a triangle of toast and spread it liberally with best Welsh butter and chunky Dundee marmalade.

"Here, Abbott," she said. "Come to mummy."

The dog stirred from the fireplace and positioned itself by the royal chair, eyeing the toast proffered in the royal hand.

"Now beg!"

The animal settled back on its haunches, front paws raised, mouth open. In went the morsel. Snap went the jaws.

"Good boy, Abbott," said the Queen. "Good boy."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/tony-abbott-has-gone-barking-mad-20140328-zqnnv.html#ixzz2xf6KYTTz

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2151 on: April 02, 2014, 09:05:25 AM »
The good Samaritan parable is a mirror image of the tony boat person policy

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2153 on: April 03, 2014, 10:30:55 AM »
Yeah right.

Arthur Sinodinos' memory lets him down about donations to NSW Liberals

April 3, 2014

Sean Nicholls

Arthur Sinodinos insists he has ''no recollection'' of more than $70,000 in donations to the NSW Liberals by his former firm Australian Water Holdings - despite being honorary party treasurer and an AWH director at the time.

As he prepares to appear in the witness box at the Independent Commission Against Corruption on Thursday, Senator Sinodinos seems somewhat forgetful when it comes to giving to the Liberals - or ignorant of the rules.

NSW election funding records show he and his wife Elizabeth personally made payments totalling $1500 to the NSW Liberals in January 2009, just months after he became a director of Australian Water Holdings.

But while the NSW Liberals declared the payments - one of $1040 and another of $460 - as required by law, the Sinodinoses have failed to do so, more than five years later.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/arthur-sinodinos-memory-lets-him-down-about-donations-to-nsw-liberals-20140402-35yvs.html#ixzz2xm605sQf

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2154 on: April 10, 2014, 07:53:45 AM »

Read the article and find out exactly who is in charge of our national government.

Ms Fix-it

April 5, 2014

Jane Cadzow

As chief of staff to Tony Abbott, Peta Credlin is regarded as the organisational brain behind the prime minister - and by some as having way too much power.

Credlin, 43, is the most discussed woman in Canberra, and probably the most powerful. She heads the prime minister's office, effectively the command centre of the Liberal-National Coalition government, and is widely believed to have more influence over the way the country is run than most of our elected representatives. (She has been known to refer to parliamentarians as "the front men".) The key to her clout is the nature of her alliance with Abbott. "He relies on her heavily and respects her judgment," says a senior Liberal. "She is the person in politics he's closest to, no doubt about that."

Unlike desk-bound chiefs of staff of the past, Credlin is at the PM's side at many official events. Internet entrepreneur Daniel Petre tells of a dinner at which "a person across the table asked a question of Tony Abbott and she jumped in with the answer. Not only did he let her finish the answer, he didn't actually say anything." I relay the anecdote to a former senior Liberal Party official, who replies: "I've seen that on a number of occasions. And it makes me very, very uncomfortable."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/ms-fixit-20140331-35shb.html#ixzz2yQdMR7ao

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2155 on: April 10, 2014, 10:01:56 AM »
CBF

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #2156 on: April 10, 2014, 11:14:12 AM »
Honestly, WGAF?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2157 on: April 17, 2014, 03:47:22 PM »
What's going on up in NSW? Corrupt and crooked pollies everywhere and all sides.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2158 on: April 17, 2014, 04:08:23 PM »

Galatians 6:7

Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap.

or in modern parlance

Suffer in your jocks

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2159 on: April 20, 2014, 05:50:23 AM »
God help us.

Gospel truth: Catholics come to power

April 20, 2014

The federal Coalition's cabinet is the most powerful collection of Catholics ever assembled in Australia, with almost half its 19 minister being members of that faith, nearly double the proportion of Catholics in the general population.

The Prime Minister, Treasurer and finance, trade, communications, education, agriculture and social services ministers are Catholics, and at least four others belong to other Christian denominations.

Asked by Fairfax Media about their Easter plans, half the Abbott cabinet confirmed they would be attending church. And while almost a quarter of the population ticked "no religion" in the 2011 census, nobody in the Coalition cabinet would admit to being an atheist.

Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce, a Catholic who plans to attend four church services over the weekend, said: "I'm no saint but I try to go to all the services that are part of the Easter ritual."

The Catholicism of the Coalition has evolved over the past several decades, said John Warhurst, an expert in religion and politics at the Australian National University.

Asked whether this government was the most powerful coalition of Catholics ever assembled in Australia, Professor Warhurst said: "I don't think there's any doubt about it. Many of the same [Catholic ministers] were in the Howard cabinet . . . but they didn't enjoy the level of influence they have now."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/gospel-truth-catholics-come-to-power-20140419-36y46.html#ixzz2zMbGNMmE