Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 747669 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #3885 on: February 08, 2017, 02:45:17 PM »
you can turn your phone off
if you used the term "exploit workers" in the 50s you'd be labelled a commie and gang bashed by Ruanaidh types
the world saw just as many conflicts when the yanks and ruskies were sabre rattling
The 50s was the start of the over processing of food, not to mention the start of the greatest scientific scam in history that misled the world into eating foods that caused the exact problems they were meant to avoid ( the seven countries study was the catalyst)
paedophilia was a subject never mentioned and it flourished amongst Christian organisations and covered up or ignored by authorities, so perpetrators never even faced the legal system.
after visiting an out house you needed all the fresh air you could get, but if you lived anywhere near industrial areas it wasn't that fresh due to lack of controls on what could be pumped into the environment.
Aboriginal people were still regarded as fauna, not people.
Our government thought it was Ok to expose it's people to nuclear radiation to see what happened.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3886 on: February 08, 2017, 04:13:09 PM »
you can turn your phone off How many people turn their phone off - most idiots are addicted to the stupid things , let alone those who risk losing their jobs if not contactable....
if you used the term "exploit workers" in the 50s you'd be labelled a commie and gang bashed by Ruanaidh types
Yeah, despite Menzies referendum to ban the Communist Party, which was soundly defeated, it wasn't quite that bad - we weren't the USA, the only opposition party was still run by unions and considering of the developed world, only South Koreans work longer for less than us and there's far less job security and greater unemployment , how far have we really come? Seems to me it's been one step forward two steps back.

the world saw just as many conflicts when the yanks and ruskies were sabre rattling There's always been conventional wars and always will be but bar the week long Cuban Missile Crisis-which was in the 60's - there was never really going to be a nuclear war - and we didn't have rogue states with nuclear weapons or a genuine possibilty of them falling into the hands of fanatical terrorist groups. More people probably genuinely feared a nuclear war though so you do have half a point.
The 50s was the start of the over processing of food, not to mention the start of the greatest scientific scam in history that misled the world into eating foods that caused the exact problems they were meant to avoid ( the seven countries study was the catalyst) True but it was only the start of things and wasn't nearly as bad as it is now.... we were still behind the states with things like fast food, frozen food & TV dinners
paedophilia was a subject never mentioned and it flourished amongst Christian organisations and covered up or ignored by authorities, so perpetrators never even faced the legal system. Fair point, it was also harder to get rape convictiobs too,  though I'm not sure murderers were getting lenient sentences and to use the old cliche - people did leave their doors open, though maybe they were just blisfully ignorant..but that wold also pertain to perceived happiness which in turn relates to standard of living.
after visiting an out house you needed all the fresh air you could get, but if you lived anywhere near industrial areas it wasn't that fresh due to lack of controls on what could be pumped into the environment. No doubt outhouses stunk, not sure the walk to it at least was such an ordeal though....and are you sure pollution levels have improved? We have roughly twice the population and even more motor vehicles now....plus  we keep getting told the environment's  at critical levels.
Aboriginal people were still regarded as fauna, not people.Yeah that sucked for that 1-2% of the population, though many of them still seem just as unhappy, angry and disillusioned with the country now as they've ever been .
Our government thought it was Ok to expose it's people to nuclear radiation to see what happened. On military personnel mainly and perhaps a few associated civilians, not sure they did it to the general populace but I could be wrong.

People only knew what they knew and it was still  -for most Australians- the highest standard of living the world had ever seen up until that point in history -(you might say that's naturally true of all eras but improvements in living standards haven't always been linear and certainly not as sudden & rapid as they were post-war). Are Australians in general any happier, more content or unified now then they were back then?

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #3887 on: February 08, 2017, 04:25:58 PM »
Maybe its the millenials that are skewing the happiness average of the country.

Given everything and aporeciate nothing.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Ruanaidh

« Reply #3888 on: February 08, 2017, 06:48:27 PM »

And yet there is a ray of hope. The next generation of voters are tipped to be the most conservative for over 50 years. BTW when the right talks about days gone by being 'greater' than now of course they aren't referring to technology or the acceptance of aberrant social behaviour that is always insinuated by the left no matter the time period. They refer to personal freedoms, less statism and nil identity politics. They also refer to the eminency of Western Culture.....an indisputable fact!

The left, and in that collective I throw the ALP and the weak bastards who installed 'Trunbull' (lol), is dead. Patriotism and unfettered Capitalism (they way Adam Smith envisaged it) is the new black. The internet(particularly early doors) is an example of what happens when individual access and rights are not constrained by the majority. Viva Farage! Viva Trump! Viva Le Pen! and then Viva Bernadi! - who will form a coalition with Hanson (vomits in mouth) when pragmatism is required. I can see a river of leftist tears on the horizon and I for one will bathe in it.......

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #3889 on: February 08, 2017, 08:59:37 PM »
Identy politics should be confined to oneself.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #3890 on: February 08, 2017, 09:36:11 PM »

And yet there is a ray of hope. The next generation of voters are tipped to be the most conservative for over 50 years. BTW when the right talks about days gone by being 'greater' than now of course they aren't referring to technology or the acceptance of aberrant social behaviour that is always insinuated by the left no matter the time period. They refer to personal freedoms, less statism and nil identity politics. They also refer to the eminency of Western Culture.....an indisputable fact!

The left, and in that collective I throw the ALP and the weak bastards who installed 'Trunbull' (lol), is dead. Patriotism and unfettered Capitalism (they way Adam Smith envisaged it) is the new black. The internet(particularly early doors) is an example of what happens when individual access and rights are not constrained by the majority. Viva Farage! Viva Trump! Viva Le Pen! and then Viva Bernadi! - who will form a coalition with Hanson (vomits in mouth) when pragmatism is required. I can see a river of leftist tears on the horizon and I for one will bathe in it.......

Unfettered capitalism hey? Be careful what you wish for.  Even less competition with banks, and oil companies and the media with even greater profits. 
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3891 on: February 09, 2017, 12:00:50 AM »
lol
welcome to the mad prepper's tea party
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3892 on: February 27, 2017, 03:21:36 AM »
Latest Newspoll has Turnbull government now trailing 45-55. No wonder Abbott is publicly trying again to get his old job back.

As for the speaker and deputy speaker in Victoria :facepalm. The whole pollie and their "entitlements" process is beyond a joke now. They can claim for all sorts of ridiculous things in the first place and secondly it's so easy to abuse by MPs of all sides.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3893 on: February 27, 2017, 06:58:31 AM »
Let's hope it's the final nail in the coffin for dan. Bloke is a disgrace and the public are starting to see it.

Not talking about Shaw type 4K spending these are big dollars these MPs have abused.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

tony_montana

« Reply #3894 on: March 01, 2017, 03:51:39 PM »
Latest Newspoll has Turnbull government now trailing 45-55. No wonder Abbott is publicly trying again to get his old job back.

As for the speaker and deputy speaker in Victoria :facepalm. The whole pollie and their "entitlements" process is beyond a joke now. They can claim for all sorts of ridiculous things in the first place and secondly it's so easy to abuse by MPs of all sides.

yep absolute joke - like the previous treasurer claiming rent for living in his wife's home

Ruanaidh

« Reply #3895 on: March 07, 2017, 12:02:52 PM »
Typical of the leadership of a collectivist cadre. Both parties are riddled with corruption and cronyism.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3896 on: March 11, 2017, 11:03:22 PM »
16% fall in the Liberal vote in WA  :o. There will be massive pressure on Turnbull now if there wasn't already with the Libs fracturing.

Best news is One Nation has been a total flop (<5%)  :lol. Interestingly, the WA Nats vote held up. The Libs hopping into bed with Hanson and her far-right conspiracy theory nutjobs obviously did them a favour.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #3897 on: March 12, 2017, 08:21:38 AM »
16% fall in the Liberal vote in WA  :o . There will be massive pressure on Turnbull now if there wasn't already with the Libs fracturing.

Best news is One Nation has been a total flop (<5%)  :lol . Interestingly, the WA Nats vote held up. The Libs hopping into bed with Hanson and her far-right conspiracy theory nutjobs obviously did them a favour.

I think Turnbull is safe.

If the Libs get rid of him he will quit parliament.

This would cause a double dissolution and a wipe out for the Libs.

:cheers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3898 on: March 14, 2017, 03:59:27 AM »
16% fall in the Liberal vote in WA  :o . There will be massive pressure on Turnbull now if there wasn't already with the Libs fracturing.

Best news is One Nation has been a total flop (<5%)  :lol . Interestingly, the WA Nats vote held up. The Libs hopping into bed with Hanson and her far-right conspiracy theory nutjobs obviously did them a favour.

Turnbull quitting parliament would cause a by-election in his safe Liberal seat. A double dissolution is when the Senate rejects a government bill twice and the government uses it to call an election to clean the slate of both houses and hold a joint seating afterwards to try again to pass the bill. Turnbull tried the latter at last year's election but it backfired.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #3899 on: March 14, 2017, 12:53:27 PM »

Turnbull quitting parliament would cause a by-election in his safe Liberal seat. A double dissolution is when the Senate rejects a government bill twice and the government uses it to call an election to clean the slate of both houses and hold a joint seating afterwards to try again to pass the bill. Turnbull tried the latter at last year's election but it backfired.

Labor only needs a swing of 18%.

and yes you are quite correct re a double dissolution.