Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766274 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #4095 on: August 23, 2018, 12:45:26 PM »
first i have ever heard MT say abbott was a good politician. haha
Sarcasm aside, Abbott is the most destructive individual I've ever seen in Aussie politics. The Liberal party is now paying for allowing in religiously fanatic DLP types like him who will blackmail a party out of government to achieve a takeover by force. Menzies must be turning in his grave. The Libs need a total cleanout like Labor had in the 1970s to get rid of the old deadwood.

Dutton will make an excellent PM and what he did to those criminals was fantastic. Kidding yourself WP if you think otherwise.
Dutton may be illegal himself (re: section 44 of the constitution)  ;). Morrison has thrown his hat into the ring so it's not a one horse race either. The party is split in two.

if only that loser dan andrews had the same mentality the city would be sitting pretty good right about now
Did the Herald-Sun tell you that, FH?  :lol

Fact is it was under the previous Liberal state government that crime began to rise as soon as they came to office in late 2010. They inherited falling crime rates from Bracks/Brumby but then cut police numbers and surprise surprise crime numbers went up every year of their 4 years in charge  ::). That upward trend carried on for a further two years until new increased police resources under the current state government could catch up. Crime numbers are now falling again (you won't read that fact in the Herald-Sun  ::) ). The law and order issues now that still need to be addressed are repeat juvenile offenders, sexual assaults & domestic violence.

https://www.crimestatistics.vic.gov.au/media-centre/news/key-figures-year-ending-31-march-2018

By the way, it must be hard for the LNP/Herald-Sun to cope with Victoria now having the best economy in the country (up from 5th when Andrews took office in late 2014). Amazing what happens when you have a leader who sticks to his election promises, runs a stable government full term, and gets on with the job of building infrastructure for the people (eg: Metro tunnel, level crossing removals, road upgrades, new schools, new hospitals, etc). Just in my area we've had 12 level crossings removed & 8 new/modernised stations in just the past 4 years after decades of inaction (by both sides). Still plenty to do after decades of neglect (it's going to take a couple of decades to fix all of it) but heaven forbid we go back to the do-nothing party that couldn't last beyond a single term at state level and is in utter chaos federally :facepalm.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #4096 on: August 23, 2018, 03:30:45 PM »
Gotta laugh at anyone who thinks maintaining the LNP-ALP duopoly will change anything let alone be good for their state or the country. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4097 on: August 23, 2018, 03:43:13 PM »
A shambles indeed.

Bit of Latham v Beazley about it, but a far bigger poo show. Crean loses the party but gets his backers behind Latham to prevent backstabbing Beazley from returning to leadership. Similar deal here but a lot more hatred :lol
Hardly similar given Labor was in opposition then :huh3. Oppositions have regularly changed leaders in general throughout Aussie political history. That's the time to do it. What is unusual until the past decade is governments not lasting a one term without changing leaders.

The difference this time is this has nothing to do with polls (Turnbull had got Newspoll back to 49-51 which as Keating once said is a winnable position for a sitting government). This is instead is about ego/payback (nothing new there) but more importantly a battle over the philosophy of the Liberal party (which is new). Small "l" liberals and Conservatives within the Liberal party are split in two and can't stand each other's beliefs & policy direction (eg: the NEG which set off this latest leadership crisis). It's a civil war. Each faction refuses to follow/serve under the other.

Labor's split of 1954/55 was similar in the sense that the ultra-religious members to the right of the party disliked the leader (Doc Evatt) and saw as being too much to the 'left' and tried to forceably take over the ALP including affiliated unions via Santamaria's "The Movement". Labor ultimately expelled the Movement's members who then formed the DLP. It brought down the Victorian Labor government and kept the ALP out of government here for the next 27 consecutive years and federally in opposition until 1972 as the DLP would give its preferences to the Libs purely to keep Labor in opposition as a means to try and blackmail the party into giving into them. The DLP died out as a party in the 70s (hardcore followers and descendants like Abbott switched to the Libs) but the wounds weren't healed until the expelled unions rejoined the ALP by the late 80s/early 90s.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4098 on: August 23, 2018, 03:44:16 PM »
Turnbull refusing to go. He wants a petition given to him with 43 names on it before he calls a leadership vote and he won't call one until midday tomorrow at the earliest. If there is a leadership vote then he won't contest and will go. He has also sort advice from the solicitor general whether Dutton has breached section 44 of the constitution.

Right now we have no functioning government and the House of Reps has been abandoned as there's no PM nor ministers to answer questions. It's a total farce :facepalm.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #4099 on: August 23, 2018, 03:51:58 PM »
No government? No parliament? No politicians? Sounds like Utopia.... :birthday
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4100 on: August 23, 2018, 04:11:37 PM »
Julie Bishop has now thrown her hat into the ring.

Gotta laugh at anyone who thinks maintaining the LNP-ALP duopoly will change anything let alone be good for their state or the country. :shh
The conventions of the Westminster system function on a duopoly (government and opposition).

I think we've learnt the hard way that minor parties in Senate and their loopy candidates only make things worse  :help. The rules have changed in the Senate so if we have general election then half the crossbench will be wiped out. Most are only there thanks to the half-quota of the 2016 double dissolution. They've need get a full quota in a general election which most won't achieve.

ps. The minor parties just voted down a vote of no-confidence in the government in the Senate. Saving their own skins ahead of the good of the country as well  ::).

I'll pay that. :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 05:31:02 PM by one-eyed »

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #4101 on: August 23, 2018, 04:50:13 PM »

Malcolm Turnbull - Dead but not yet buried

Peter Dutton - our next PM? (heaven help us)

Or could there be a third candidate? The Bish? ScMo?

I just hope Christoper Pyne gets the job. That would be entertaining.

:cheers

I'm still hoping Pyne will make a late charge.

:lol

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4102 on: August 23, 2018, 05:19:29 PM »

:clapping

:bow
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #4103 on: August 23, 2018, 05:37:31 PM »

:clapping

:bow

Sounds like NAZI Germany

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #4104 on: August 23, 2018, 05:58:06 PM »
Is Dutton a front for Tony Abbott?

:help

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #4105 on: August 23, 2018, 07:42:30 PM »
A shambles indeed.

Bit of Latham v Beazley about it, but a far bigger poo show. Crean loses the party but gets his backers behind Latham to prevent backstabbing Beazley from returning to leadership. Similar deal here but a lot more hatred :lol
Hardly similar given Labor was in opposition then :huh3

Identical leadership situation apart from one being in government and the other in opposition. Party is suffering, guy gets tapped on the shoulder. Everyone expects a certain someone to take over and lead, yet another candidate emerges and will get support from the original leaders backers.

Geez MT wake up  :shh :lol
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4106 on: August 23, 2018, 07:43:31 PM »
Time for a Latham led 3rd force :cheers
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4107 on: August 23, 2018, 07:51:37 PM »
Is Dutton a front for Tony Abbott?

:help
Of course. The ultra-conservatives now backing Dutton want him to be Abbott mk.II. Mind you if Dutton becomes PM and fails they will turn on him too. The likes of Andrew Bolt and the conservative radio shockjocks hated Turnbull and really want their man Abbott back.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4108 on: August 23, 2018, 08:04:13 PM »
A shambles indeed.

Hardly similar given Labor was in opposition then :huh3

Identical leadership situation apart from one being in government and the other in opposition. Party is suffering, guy gets tapped on the shoulder. Everyone expects a certain someone to take over and lead, yet another candidate emerges and will get support from the original leaders backers.

Geez MT wake up  :shh :lol
Completely different scenarios. The ALP at that time was never ideologically split. It just lacked a leader who could match Howard. Crean was seen as never being popular enough to win (similar to Bill Hayden), Beazley had had his chance at two losing elections, while Latham was then new, different and the ALP in desperation was willing to risk such a loose cannon against Howard. It backfired. Latham lost ground for Labor at the 2004 election, blamed everyone else for losing and has become just another unhinged "controversial" commentator who has sold his soul and beliefs chasing easy $$$ from the fringe whacky alt-right conspiracy theory brigade.

Time for a Latham led 3rd force :cheers
Good luck with that lunatic winning over mainstream Australia :rollin.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4109 on: August 23, 2018, 08:24:36 PM »
Who cares that snowflakes and conservatives are clashing? I said there's a bit of Beazley vs Latham about it and there certainly is. At the top it's playing out exactly as it did in 03. Yes, the Libs are divided internally but who cares.

Why is Latham a lunatic? He's extremely popular actually dude...you might wanna follow politics a little more