Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 774210 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #4815 on: April 12, 2020, 02:26:23 PM »

knew it wouldnt take you long to start throwing debt around WP. Can you only bring up our debt prior to this crisis, or are you going to include the debt position after and including the crisis? Just curious.  :shh

Hate to break it to you Frankie but it was in fact Ramps who bought up debt (he will claim he didn't of course). He was critical of ScoMo when the wage subsidy was announced.  He constantly brings up how Labor would have us broke... I just pointed put that under this govt before this crisis this govt that you and he proclaim as being just on perfect has increased the countries debt (deficit) significantly. Whether you or anyone else wants to admit it the stimulus packages that were introduced during the GFC saved this country going into recession. Did they get 100% right? NO, but we avoided recession and that is a bloody good thing.

On your question of debt, I have no issue at all with the debt level rising due to the measures the govt has introduced to assist people during this crisis. Have they got it 100% right? NO, but they are doing the best they can under the circumstances. ***NB, ScoMo needs to do more around the rent situation. Domestic landlords are not "working it out" at all they are kicking out  >:(

What I won't do though is excuse then for the cuts they have made to so many things prior to this crisis.  You know my passion towards the NDIS and the cuts they have made to that are nothing short of abhorent. And on this there is nothing you or anyone else can say that will alter my view. Live with the system, see it get decimated and you'd feel the same way.

Ramps yet again on the mark. Imagine Shorten in charge. Well lucky for us he is not because he lost and it seems some still cant get over the fact Scomo is delivering. Would they rather more deaths or a curve thats not flattening so they can blame Scomo? or would they rather a team led by the PM that works together for the country. Scomo has shut a few people up and the tears shown by TT types is proof of that. TT you have lost the plot, time for a spell. You are treading down 65 territory at a rate of knots. By the time this curve truly flattens you will overtake his mantle.

WP is quite intellectual about these matters, once the bias is removed, so take some lessons there.

The only thing I would say here is that to suggest that if Shorten was PM or Albo or any other leader for that matter things would do things different and that here would be more deaths, the curve wouldn't be flattening is simple foolish and scare mongering. It wouldn't be. I believe anyone willing to take their politically biased glasses (whichever side) would know that. There is not one pollie in this country that would not do everything they could to keep Australians safe.

We may not like certain pollies but there is one thing I know and this is we are all in it together all us and the pollies know it too

Glad we agree on the debt issue from this crisis onwards so it doesnt come up again.

to answer your question about if the alp were in power, i could agree on albo yes, perhaps even that chalmers but not shorten. I would struggle to believe that guy could run anything let alone a country. He is/was a disgrace. That is not bias, that is what many alp members think of the bloke too.

No issue with your NDIS stance. Obviously its personal and its a consistent gripe of yours so fair enough.

Surely you can see where ramps is coming from. Lets just point out what schemes the ALP they came up with the last time our country was in crisis? You couldnt be pleased with everything they dished up last time. I mean people died on the back of their half arsed schemes.

Did we avoid a recession, sure. Nothing to do with the previous governments work? As in nil? Honest question.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4816 on: April 12, 2020, 02:34:07 PM »
Rudd and Gillard got nothing right during the GFC. They put billions of dollars into the hands of fly by night pink batt installers, dodgy car deals and portable builders who fleeced the taxpayers. Billions wasted on products and services worth at best a couple of hundred million.
Gillard deserves credit for the NDIS but its the only decent policy her government delivered. They also should have stopped the NBN which is a national white c elephant. Instead of mothballing it they spent billions over 6 years. A complete waste.

no one in their right mind can compare the performance of both parties. Recession avoidance or not, those schemes lost money and lives. Dead people were given $1000 if i recall, which probably still sits with the state trustees in some cases.

Thats a fail in my mind. I still think the recession was avoided mainly due to the work of the previous government. What did rudd inherit. 20-30 billion surplus?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4817 on: April 12, 2020, 05:58:57 PM »
Sorry Frankie no, I cannot see where Ramps is coming from. He bangs on and on about the same thing and his arguments fall short when he constantly plays the man and not the ball. He attacks Gillard over the GFC she wasn't PM, nor was she treasurer but her includes for the sake of whacking the ALP. Argument IMO falls very short

In fairness to you Frankie, despite your disdain for Shorten you raise valid points,  so have no issue in answering your questions and debating the topics.

The two of you bring up the batts scheme and fair enough. It was a good idea poorly executed. However, and I have said this before drive around country town's and see the modern school buildings that were built under the govt stimulus projects during the GFC. It was the first time in decades they got anything from amy govt.To say they did nothing right is simply wrong.

I will give you the stuff up with money going into bank accounts of a deceased people, again poorly executed. But I doubt you or Ramps gave your $900 Back when it lobbed in your bank accounts

If you were across the state of the countries finances when the Howard govt got thrown out you would be aware that the surplus was not as great as believed. Because the then govt went on a spending splurge to try and get re-elected.

You can spin to anyway you want but Australia avoided a recession during the GFC one of a few that did. The other thing that cannot be disputed is that prior to this crisis the Australian economy was on road to nowhere... zero growth, spiralling debt and a dummy surplus that didn't exist in reality but existed when diverting funds from he futires finds and essential services (read NDIS)

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4818 on: April 14, 2020, 11:23:47 PM »
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/queensland/coronavirus-qld-scott-morrisons-video-message-to-teachers/news-story/a8fe16a3e8e13d63d489fa3b05cc5758

Now that's leadership :bow  Great speech Scomo.

The fear drivel from Andrews regarding the schooling has been as pathetic as the fishing rule.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #4819 on: April 15, 2020, 06:41:39 AM »

Empty words. I'm surprised he didn't revive his "Where the bloody hell are you" campaign
Once again it is the state premiers making decisions not Scotty from Marketing.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4820 on: April 15, 2020, 09:11:29 AM »
Paywall :(

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4821 on: April 15, 2020, 09:20:41 AM »
Have to say the schooling issue worries me a lot.

Day 1 today of home school.

My fiance and I are both healthcare/essential workers but she is on maternity leave with our 5 month old baby who is teething and very unhappy at the moment.

School won't let us send the 6 year old prep in because technically my fiance is at home and not working today so she needs to home school him despite having a baby to care for and a 3 year old girl as well.

School expects her to complete essentially a full school day on a computer with a boy who isn't computer literate yet while caring for a 3 year and 5 month old. To make matters worse she is slightly dyslexic. The school work requires reading, explanation and almost constant supervision. For a kid that is learning to read it's impossible to do with any meaningful level of independence.

Really don't think it's going to work. The oldest really struggles with concentration to the point I wonder if he has some ADHD. Will be very challenging without the school structure and his teacher who plays that specific role in his life etc.

She goes back to work in a month and even then we will only be able to access school when she has a shift and the other two are in care. When he goes to school he will sit on his own and work with minimal supervision. Can't even play with other kids etc.

Honestly it's a real pain. I think the schools and government need to drop the bar a little or provide more support. Most of us aren't teachers so tutoring a kid all day is no easy task.

Hopefully this doesn't go on much longer

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4822 on: April 15, 2020, 11:36:21 AM »
Have to say the schooling issue worries me a lot.

Day 1 today of home school.

My fiance and I are both healthcare/essential workers but she is on maternity leave with our 5 month old baby who is teething and very unhappy at the moment.

School won't let us send the 6 year old prep in because technically my fiance is at home and not working today so she needs to home school him despite having a baby to care for and a 3 year old girl as well.

School expects her to complete essentially a full school day on a computer with a boy who isn't computer literate yet while caring for a 3 year and 5 month old. To make matters worse she is slightly dyslexic. The school work requires reading, explanation and almost constant supervision. For a kid that is learning to read it's impossible to do with any meaningful level of independence.

Really don't think it's going to work. The oldest really struggles with concentration to the point I wonder if he has some ADHD. Will be very challenging without the school structure and his teacher who plays that specific role in his life etc.

She goes back to work in a month and even then we will only be able to access school when she has a shift and the other two are in care. When he goes to school he will sit on his own and work with minimal supervision. Can't even play with other kids etc.

Honestly it's a real pain. I think the schools and government need to drop the bar a little or provide more support. Most of us aren't teachers so tutoring a kid all day is no easy task.

Hopefully this doesn't go on much longer

well said Andy

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4824 on: April 15, 2020, 02:45:40 PM »

Now here is real leadership.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceania/pay-cut-for-nz-cabinet-as-opposition-pushes-for-easing-of-lockdown-20200415-p54jzy.html

Only 20%.

Real leadership would have seen who work for nothing in the next 6 months. Shes just another lefty who knows how to play the PR game even though shes done nothing for New Zealand since becoming PM.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #4825 on: April 15, 2020, 02:48:18 PM »
So will Scotty from Marketing follow her lead?

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4826 on: April 15, 2020, 02:54:07 PM »
We dont follow the sheep herders. We run our own show. Scotty from marketing just racking up points towards another outstanding electoral victory whilst labor wastes time with Albo and his lefty mates.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #4827 on: April 15, 2020, 03:00:15 PM »
 :lol

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4828 on: April 15, 2020, 06:23:27 PM »

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceania/pay-cut-for-nz-cabinet-as-opposition-pushes-for-easing-of-lockdown-20200415-p54jzy.html

Only 20%.

Real leadership would have seen who work for nothing in the next 6 months. Shes just another lefty who knows how to play the PR game even though shes done nothing for New Zealand since becoming PM.

20% more than ours are

And are suggesting our pollies should not get paid for the next 6 months too. Wouldn't that be real leadership. :huh

Ardern is an outstanding leader. One of the best around these days. The mosque mass murders and now this has proved it

And thanks for providing exhibit B  :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4829 on: April 15, 2020, 06:36:25 PM »

Only 20%.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-26/whats-eating-jacinda-arderns-ratings-new-zealand-politics/11998556

dio is right though she wore a hat during the terrorism crisis or whatever they call that thing