Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 751076 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #5715 on: May 17, 2022, 10:24:02 AM »
Can't say I'm thrilled by Albo but the idea of another term with Morrison is surely worse.

This new policy they are suggesting whereby younger people can access their super to buy a house is bloody insane. It will only make housing affordability for first home buyers even worse and will damage their retirement savings.

Best thing to do would be abolish negative gearing progressively over a few years. If I buy blue chip stock and lose my cash does anyone give me a tax kickback for it? No. It's just a bad investment. Real estate needs to be treated the same - if you're losing money then you either wear it for the capital gains or don't bother ever-extending yourself to properties you don't live in ffs.

Edit: people should be encouraged to put more into super. This could be achieved by implementing a tax-free contribution to replace negatively geared deductions etc. Would mean that more people dump money into super later in life instead of buying more houses.

yes they kind of do in future years. If you end up making a profit, it will reduce that gain. If you borrowed for those stocks it works exactly the same way.

Dumping the tax will never happen Andy as both of them are aligned, and thats a good thing. Much like they will never dump the franking credits fiasco that the fools lost the last election over. ALP have learnt their lesson now.

People should be encouraged to put more into super. This could be achieved by implementing a tax-free contribution to replace negatively geared deductions etc. Would mean that more people dump money into super later in life instead of buying more houses.

I think you will find Andy they are quite a few things in place now that encourage this exact thing. Its not their fault that no one does take advantage of these things, or that people rent in elwood and munch of smashed avo every day, instead of digging deep and saving in the burbs. :shh

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5716 on: May 17, 2022, 10:39:16 AM »
I am aware that we can make voluntary contributions at reduced tax rates but those are capped.

I think we need to find ways to discourage people collecting houses and driving up prices.

If that tax money (neg gearing) could be redirected to super, heck even as a matched contribution for example, I think that would encourage people to stick it in a fund rather than a house they don't need.

Me personally I bit the bullet years ago and bought in the burbs when I was 23. Most of my friends laughed at me for living in a 'dump' like Boronia but I am enjoying the fruits of my sacrifices now because my wife and I are years ahead of many others.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5717 on: May 17, 2022, 11:00:10 AM »
I am aware that we can make voluntary contributions at reduced tax rates but those are capped.

I think we need to find ways to discourage people collecting houses and driving up prices.

If that tax money (neg gearing) could be redirected to super, heck even as a matched contribution for example, I think that would encourage people to stick it in a fund rather than a house they don't need.

Me personally I bit the bullet years ago and bought in the burbs when I was 23. Most of my friends laughed at me for living in a 'dump' like Boronia but I am enjoying the fruits of my sacrifices now because my wife and I are years ahead of many others.

Boronia nice area. Andy there is nothing wrong with house prices. Its been going up since the start of time.https://www.homely.com.au/news/property-news/australias-median-house-price-from-1970-2016. Im not sure when negative gearing began but i dont think it was popular in the 60's, 70's and 80's and prices still went up.

issue is the way people spend and lack of wage growth, and this is why the boomers have accumulated wealth and the main reason is because they worked bloody hard for their money, sometimes working 2/3 jobs. Some of the folk in these last few generations are weak as pee, and want everything for free and blame the boomers for their mistakes and spending habits. There is also no supply so long term its only going one way.

If you pay to the max every year then yes you are capped, but if you havent done it then i think you will find you may play "catch up" Trust me there is help but people dont take advantage as they are too busy blaming everyone else. :banghead

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5718 on: May 17, 2022, 03:21:05 PM »
We can certainly agree re: weak as pee haha.

When I moved into Boronia it had a bad rep! Nice play now but we have outgrown and moved to Ferny Creek which is gorgeous.

I don't think negative gearing is the sole cause of housing going up but it certainly doesn't help, and although I think buying a home is 100% possible for young people (like me actually still at 33) it's very difficult. I don't mind it being difficult though - most good things in life are difficult!

Ultimately though if we wanted to do something to make housing more affordable I think this should be on the agenda. It still blows my mind that we give tax deductions to people losing money on their investments.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #5719 on: May 17, 2022, 06:34:33 PM »
Labor Party supporters must be so proud of “Albo” today at his press conference.

What a weak excuse for a leader that man is. How sad that he will most likely lead this country.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5720 on: May 17, 2022, 08:32:30 PM »
Labor Party supporters must be so proud of “Albo” today at his press conference.

What a weak excuse for a leader that man is. How sad that he will most likely lead this country.

That would be a bit rich coming from anyone voting for Morrison bahaha

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #5721 on: May 17, 2022, 08:48:56 PM »
As someone voting for neither I can say, IMO, Albo may be a slightly better person but he sure as poo will be a far worse leader. He is clueless
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5722 on: May 17, 2022, 08:55:21 PM »

Why because he walked away from the press? After answering the same question at least 8 times?

ScoMo walks out on pressers too, he just doesn't let them ask the same question over and over again. He usually walks as soon as he gets a question he doesn't like.

Actually just on the 2 leaders today. Haven't heard much about ScoMo rudeness and refusing to answer a indigenous journo from NITV up in the NT today

Will be so glad when this circus of an election campaign is over

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5723 on: May 17, 2022, 09:02:40 PM »

That would be a bit rich coming from anyone voting for Morrison bahaha

I’m voting for neither .. I’ve always been a Liberal voter, but the way they stranded Aussies during the pandemic has left a very bad taste in my mouth .. watching other foreign nationals get home while we were left with no way home was a kick in the balls ..

But that aside, Albo is a clueless moron.

Seriously, are these the best two leaders we can produce from a country of 25ml people

These imbeciles make the American fool Biden look positively brilliant.

The western world leaders are an embarrassment..

Boris Johnson
Joe Biden
Albo/scomo

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5724 on: May 17, 2022, 09:03:12 PM »

Why because he walked away from the press? After answering the same question at least 8 times?

ScoMo walks out on pressers too, he just doesn't let them ask the same question over and over again. He usually walks as soon as he gets a question he doesn't like.

Actually just on the 2 leaders today. Haven't heard much about ScoMo rudeness and refusing to answer a indigenous journo from NITV up in the NT today

Will be so glad when this circus of an election campaign is over

He’s a rude pig and answered squat

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5725 on: May 17, 2022, 09:16:47 PM »
Been saying for years the lack of true leaders in politics these days is pathetic

Look at this election; the choices

ScoMo or Albo will be PM

Barnaby or Marles (does anyone know who is) will Deputy PM

I could go on

End of the day it comes who is the best option out of the 2

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5726 on: May 17, 2022, 09:35:41 PM »
Anybody think ScoMo has a chance of winning next Saturday?

Yeah he does.

Don't think he will. I believe people have had a gutful of his lies, mismanagement of the pandemic, his refusal to establish an anti-corruption commission, his handling of Brittany Higgins rape allegations, the Tudge disgrace, the rorting (car parks, sports granrs) and his treatment of women

Will the ALP win enough seats to form a majority govt? Not sure on that one either

But whatever the result the Libs need to look at why seats that they've always held they are now losing. This mentality they have which Credlin espoused the other week of certain seats being "their right" to hold is IMHO the actual reason they are losing these seats. Kooyong is great example. I think Frydenberg will lose his seat. Rather than moaning about the teal and other independents they need to understand what they have done to rile folks so much that a once "blue ribbon" seat is likely to fall

As for the ALP if they can't win this one, they never will.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5727 on: May 17, 2022, 11:43:29 PM »
As they say in South Park...

...every election is a choice between a douchebag and a turd sandwich.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5728 on: May 18, 2022, 06:17:35 AM »
Those that say "I am not voting for either Albo or ScoMo" don't understand our voting system. You have to number each box in the house of reps and therefore have to put one of Labor or Libs ahead of the other. Which becomes a vote for either Labor or the Coalition.
The exception to this is where there is an independent in a strong enough position to gain enough preferences to end up in first place.
Clear as mud.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5729 on: May 18, 2022, 07:20:17 AM »
65, Those that say I’m not voting for either scomo or Biden usually mean they aren’t voting for anyone.

Donkey vote…