Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 738926 times)

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #5775 on: July 27, 2022, 11:10:02 PM »
I don't do the acknowledgement when I chair a meeting. Has got so old it just feels fake, like asking how someone is when you dgaf.

How are you Andyy?

:lol :lol :lol

Yeah good thanks, yourself?

:snidegrin

:lol :lol :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5776 on: July 28, 2022, 03:43:22 AM »
https://www.smh.com.au/national/australia-news-live-labor-to-introduce-signature-climate-bill-to-parliament-covid-cases-grow-across-the-nation-20220726-p5b4t4.html

Here’s the statement in full:

Senator Hanson considers that ‘acknowledgement of country’ perpetuates racial division in Australia. Like many non-Indigenous Australians, Senator Hanson considers this country belongs to her as much as it does belong to any other Australian, Indigenous or otherwise.

From this point forward, Senator Hanson will refuse to acknowledge country in the Senate. Senator Hanson does not accept that acknowledgement of country is any sort of Indigenous Australian tradition, given that at most it has only been in use for the past 25 years (and in parliament only 12 years).

Senator Hanson will also oppose a motion in the Senate today for the Aboriginal flag to be displayed in the Senate. Senator Hanson considers that only one flag, the Australian national flag, truly represents all Australians.
The acknowledgement to country has been around for a decade. Hanson would've been in parliament for a thousand of these yet only now she had a hissy fit.

No surprise Hanson the ignorant moron doesn't know the Aboriginal and Torres Strait flags are official flags of Australia. The national flag stands or flies to the left (most prominent), followed by any state flags (if required), and then the Aboriginal and Torres Strait flags are next. Our military flags are also official flags of Australia by the way. It's been that way for decades.   

https://www.pmc.gov.au/resource-centre/government/australian-flags-booklet/part-3/flags-australias-indigenous-peoples

Poor little diddums Hanson no longer holds the balance of power in the Senate and decided to have an attention seeking tantrum because she is now irrelevant. The day she is no longer around in public life with her sooky la la hateful bile will be a great day for Australia.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 04:11:21 AM by one-eyed »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5777 on: July 28, 2022, 02:06:35 PM »
The acknowledgement to country has been around for a decade.

Well I am well and truly sick of hearing it multiple times per day for the last decade

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5778 on: July 28, 2022, 03:29:10 PM »

Well I am well and truly sick of hearing it multiple times per day for the last decade

Sorry MT, but I’m with Chuck here.
It’s not how long it’s been around, it’s how often it’s said these days. You can’t compare 10 years ago with what’s happening today … today it’s constant

Gotta laugh in a room of six businessmen and the acknowledgment takes place .. not a single percent of aboriginal blood amongst them .. therefore the relevance is zero

I understand showing respect , but I think it’s gone over the top

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5779 on: July 28, 2022, 04:32:56 PM »
I don't do the acknowledgement when I chair a meeting. Has got so old it just feels fake, like asking how someone is when you dgaf.

:lol :lol :lol So true.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #5780 on: July 30, 2022, 12:34:37 AM »
No surprise Hanson the ignorant moron doesn't know the Aboriginal and Torres Strait flags are official flags of Australia. The national flag stands or flies to the left (most prominent), followed by any state flags (if required), and then the Aboriginal and Torres Strait flags are next. Our military flags are also official flags of Australia by the way. It's been that way for decades.   

https://www.pmc.gov.au/resource-centre/government/australian-flags-booklet/part-3/flags-australias-indigenous-peoples

You forgot to mention the most important flag in Australia today

The club that keeps giving.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5781 on: July 30, 2022, 02:00:37 AM »

It’s not how long it’s been around, it’s how often it’s said these days. You can’t compare 10 years ago with what’s happening today … today it’s constant

Gotta laugh in a room of six businessmen and the acknowledgment takes place .. not a single percent of aboriginal blood amongst them .. therefore the relevance is zero

It could be argued that that kind of attitude in bold is the reason why we have it and still need it reinforced. If you are an Australian then the complete history of this land is relevant to you regardless of your ethnicity. 

The 'not my ethnicity' excuse doesn't wash either given the majority of Aussies aren't poms yet we still have a pom as our head of state, the pom's flag in the canton of our flag, and we have our national day as the day the poms arrived (Jan 26, 1788) rather than the actual anniversary of the birth of our nation (Jan 1, 1901). Do these businessmen laugh at needing to celebrate Australia Day on the wrong historical date? Something tells me they don't. However, see the howls of outrage from the same types who mock Indigenous acknowledgment if anyone dares say we should replace any of these now irrelevant foreign things :shh with actual relevant Aussie ones  :whistle.

I'm not ethnically Indigenous nor Anglo. This is about acknowledging the full and correct history of this land which didn't begin in 1788 as some still falsely want to (make) believe. British colonialism is just one part of this land's history. While it has some significance, it is neither the beginning, the present, nor the main part to who and what Australia is now. It's just one part in the long history of this land and its people. We should strongly acknowledge all parts of our history from indigenous history all the way through to becoming and being proudly and fully independently Australian as a modern nation. Problem is we either still don't in terms of the latter or if we try to regarding the former there's always the usual cultural cringers opposing or sooking about it  :sleep.

A lot of the basic Australian "history" we were taught as kids was BS and I'm not just talking about the nonsense that Cook "discovered" Australia or "our nation began in 1788". We have been fed crap as so-called "history" to diminish anything that were uniquely Australian achievements that had nothing to do with Britain. Nah, let's not be proud that beginning with the fallout that followed the Eureka stockade, everyday Australians ("white" at least) were one of the first on Earth to have actual democracy: full adult male suffrage, full adult female suffrage (after NZ), the secret ballot, the 8-hour working day, plus a democratic bicameral parliament. None of these were inherited from the UK. We took the plutocratic Westminster system at the time from Britain and made it democratic here. Then most of these Aussie democratic innovations were exported/adopted by other nations around the world including the UK. That's something as Australians to be proud of. The days of being told "you little Aussies have no history and no culture and are insignificant to world history" be it indigenous or non-indigenous are gone! We desperately need more real actual Australian history promoted and taught to overcome the rubbish that lazily still gets sprouted [hello ignorant morons like Pauline Hanson  ::)]. If that annoys certain folk then so be it!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5782 on: July 30, 2022, 03:07:09 AM »

Oh no a rainbow flag lol. Btw, that pic is from 2017 and that's the Canberra city side of the Commonwealth Ave Bridge. Some of us have been to Canberra you know. They fly all sorts of banners and flags from those poles along the median strip depending on what day it is or what local festival is on that week. Much better than in the 90s when the centre of Canberra was dead outside work hours :help. Back then they only had fireworks and weed (both legal there as it's a territory) to entertain themselves at night lol.

ps. seems someone is an avid reader of outinperth.com  ;)  :snidegrin.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5783 on: July 30, 2022, 11:41:53 AM »

It could be argued that that kind of attitude in bold is the reason why we have it and still need it reinforced. If you are an Australian then the complete history of this land is relevant to you regardless of your ethnicity. 

Don’t think you understand what I mean ..
In a room of 6 white businessman , where the acknowledgment happens, the relevance is zero

BECAUSE

There is nobody in the room to appreciate or receive the acknowledgment

THUS

Irrelevant

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5784 on: July 30, 2022, 02:22:29 PM »

In a room of 6 white businessman , where the acknowledgment happens, the relevance is zero

BECAUSE

THUS

Irrelevant

Yep.

Couldnt give a flying stuff, aka irrelevent. The exception to this was when my late Gen y lecturer brought it up and i mentioned to her the importance of it be taught in a non relevant course, and how glad i was for her for alerting it to us, along with the LGBTQ movement that was "close to her heart"

Its all very important if you ask me.  :lol

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5785 on: July 30, 2022, 08:13:31 PM »

BECAUSE

THUS

Irrelevant
The acknowledgement to country isn't for and to acknowledge any indigenous people that may be present. It's for everyone to acknowledge people existed here before 1788 and particularly the local indigenous people/tribe/clan (called nation) that has existed and is still culturally connected to the land the meeting/gathering is held on. It's a recognition statement not an address to somebody.   

On the forum, we praise our past and present club champions without them being present or them reading it and posting here. It's a recognition of our history and culture.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #5786 on: July 31, 2022, 11:28:08 PM »

Oh no a rainbow flag lol. Btw, that pic is from 2017 and that's the Canberra city side of the Commonwealth Ave Bridge. Some of us have been to Canberra you know. They fly all sorts of banners and flags from those poles along the median strip depending on what day it is or what local festival is on that week. Much better than in the 90s when the centre of Canberra was dead outside work hours :help. Back then they only had fireworks and weed (both legal there as it's a territory) to entertain themselves at night lol.

ps. seems someone is an avid reader of outinperth.com  ;)  :snidegrin.
  :lol  :rollin I have no idea what that is. Is it bad?  :help I was just looking for a photo to post of rainbow flags.  :rollin. It’s a gay site isn’t it  :facepalm
My point was to emphasise the most important flag in vogue today.

Serves me right.  :shh :lol :wallywink  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5787 on: August 16, 2022, 07:10:27 AM »
Well it looks like we dodged a bullet by getting rid of ScoMo.   :lol

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #5788 on: August 16, 2022, 10:54:39 AM »
Couldn't think of anything of less interest to the current needs of Australian people than how many portfolios Scomo was sniffing about
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5789 on: August 16, 2022, 03:11:15 PM »
As someone voting for neither I can say, IMO, Albo may be a slightly better person but he sure as poo will be a far worse leader. He is clueless

AT, do you still think Albo is clueless?