Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766316 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #6525 on: January 02, 2024, 08:24:42 PM »
If January 26 is a made up holiday, why is it so offensive to a loud minority?
Because it belongs to different and earlier part of history that for Aboriginal Australia began the false claim of "terra nullius" as well as leading to introduced diseases and many massacres. Jan 26 is hardly a day of celebration for them. Even as late as 1938, Aboriginal people in rural NSW were forcibly rounded up and made to reenact Phillip's arrival for the 150th anniversary in Sydney. Why stick with a fake date from only 1994 that deliberately divides us when most of us wouldn't give a flying firetruck about that date if it was changed to another?

ps. We should be celebrating our many own Aussie achievements anyway if we are proud Aussies.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6526 on: January 02, 2024, 09:31:36 PM »
Albo tried to divide Australia with his cost of a pizza referendum

Thankfully only 38% of Australians are stuffwits

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6527 on: January 02, 2024, 09:54:59 PM »

Because it belongs to different and earlier part of history that for Aboriginal Australia began the false claim of "terra nullius" as well as leading to introduced diseases and many massacres. Jan 26 is hardly a day of celebration for them. Even as late as 1938, Aboriginal people in rural NSW were forcibly rounded up and made to reenact Phillip's arrival for the 150th anniversary in Sydney. Why stick with a fake date from only 1994 that deliberately divides us when most of us wouldn't give a flying firetruck about that date if it was changed to another?

Sorry you've confused me MT. What do you mean by "why stick with a fake date from only 1994"?

My entire life and I'm old  ;D Australia Day has always been 26th January. Granted it is only in the last 30 years that the public holiday has been on the actual date. Prior to that for reasons I will confess I never understood the public holiday was always on the Monday closest to the 26th.

Disappointed Chuck, I don't appreciate being called a stuffwit. >:(
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #6528 on: January 02, 2024, 10:16:49 PM »
MT
Do you have a link for those recent articles ?

Side note

Chuck’s “cost of pizza referendum” had an entire bar in the Philippines laughing

Got to admit, was expecting something like that from Dio, but being a different source added an extra punch of humour

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6529 on: January 02, 2024, 10:19:27 PM »

Sorry you've confused me MT. What do you mean by "why stick with a fake date from only 1994"?

My entire life and I'm old  ;D Australia Day has always been 26th January. Granted it is only in the last 30 years that the public holiday has been on the actual date. Prior to that for reasons I will confess I never understood the public holiday was always on the Monday closest to the 26th.

1935 actually according to google

Cue some muppet crapping on about 40 000 years or so

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6530 on: January 02, 2024, 10:30:53 PM »
1931 in Victoria

But hey , let’s roll with 1994

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #6531 on: January 02, 2024, 11:46:15 PM »
Albo tried to divide Australia with his cost of a pizza referendum

All the stuffwits who still believe Bruce Pascoe is indigenous and Dark Emu is non-fiction.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6532 on: January 06, 2024, 05:27:09 AM »

As you say WP it was not a national public holiday until 1994.

And despite both of us being old  ;D, it hasn't always been on Jan 26 either:

The last question of yours is easy to answer: a freebie long weekend in summer. Though few cared about the reason for it nor organised public events. The only thing I remember about that long weekend was the Adelaide test match but that was dumped long ago. So much for "tradition"!

And it's a fake day as Australia's real national birthday is 1st Jan 1901. Lying to ourselves and ignoring our own history and identity and not celebrating our own more significant achievements which are many is not displaying being proud independent Aussies.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6533 on: January 06, 2024, 05:41:20 AM »
MT
Do you have a link for those recent articles ?
Opposition against an Australian being Governor-General.
The Argus, 5th December 1930.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/4232022?searchTerm=governor-general

Liberal Party to oppose new anthem.
Canberra Times, 7th March 1974.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/110764843?browse=ndp%3Abrowse%2Ftitle%2FC%2Ftitle%2F11%2F1974%2F03%2F07%2Fpage%2F12215898%2Farticle%2F110764843

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #6534 on: January 06, 2024, 01:07:25 PM »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6535 on: January 06, 2024, 03:50:15 PM »
I’ve always enjoyed The Argus for a bit of light reading in the morning

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6536 on: January 06, 2024, 06:45:30 PM »
Bump. Yes, it must be embarrassing to support a side that for at least a century has been anti-Australian independence :shh.

As for the LNP and its various previous incarnations, they've been wrong so many times before on this stuff that they've had to be dragged kicking and screaming to reality. When you go back in time their anti-independent Australian chicken little hysterics are as hilarious as they are cringeworthy and embarrassing :lol.

LNP opposition to us having our own national anthem

Opposition to us having our own Aussie-born GG

Add opposing Australia having its own separate independent parliament even when the Poms promoted it.

Britain said yes in 1931 (Statute of Westminster), yet the UAP (forerunner to the LNP) refused to ratify it across 10 years in government and then continued to oppose it in opposition.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/271898681?searchTerm=UAP%20statute%20Westminster

:chickenlittle :scared :doh  :rollin

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6537 on: January 06, 2024, 06:57:26 PM »
HOMG

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #6538 on: January 06, 2024, 07:48:50 PM »
At what point will something relevant to the normal Australian be discussed in here?

Non-stop wankathon over irrelevant rubbish this board. Same as Airbus and his policies
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6539 on: January 06, 2024, 09:13:48 PM »
At what point will something relevant to the normal Australian be discussed in here?

Non-stop wankathon over irrelevant rubbish this board. Same as Airbus and his policies

The natives are getting restless
You know they are clutching at straws when posting articles that are nearly 100yo

Very very nervous obviously

It’s panic from a group that is seeing incompetence from Airbus close the gap significantly towards the next election

Good work Albo , keep it up

As for me being embarrassed for “supporting a side” .. I’ll get over it 😂