Author Topic: Chris Newman [merged]  (Read 93900 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Re: Chris Newman [merged]
« Reply #240 on: June 02, 2012, 11:59:48 AM »
Thought he made one glaring error of judgment last night.  Early in the last quarter the ball came to Morris on the HBF who went sideways to Newman on the other flank.  Newman was about 20mts clear and had a golden opportunity to run straight through the centre before delivering a trademark 60mt kick down Riewoldt's throat (who would have been in a one on one).  Instead, he stopped, waited and invited all the Saint's momentum and pressure back into their forward 50 before delivering the ball back to where it came from.  The resultant pressure caused a turnover and goal and it was the start of a change of momentum at a critical part of the game.  His actions were almost like telling his teammates I'm not sure, I'm not confident and I'm panicked and that sort of stuff from the captain can very quickly become contagious.  Sent my voice into overdrive when I saw it.
yeh I it was a mindboggling decision by the captain, I lost it also when he stopped but his game was good and Hardwick reckons he's a playing coach for the boys.   
The club that keeps giving.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #241 on: June 02, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
newman made one mistake so what lol
yes we all have opinions lol

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #242 on: June 02, 2012, 01:00:35 PM »
Thought he was fantastic last night. Clearly his best game of the season.

In games like this, this is where leadership is shown and last night he showed it in spades. :thumbsup

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #243 on: June 02, 2012, 01:17:18 PM »
Thought he made one glaring error of judgment last night.  Early in the last quarter the ball came to Morris on the HBF who went sideways to Newman on the other flank.  Newman was about 20mts clear and had a golden opportunity to run straight through the centre before delivering a trademark 60mt kick down Riewoldt's throat (who would have been in a one on one).  Instead, he stopped, waited and invited all the Saint's momentum and pressure back into their forward 50 before delivering the ball back to where it came from.  The resultant pressure caused a turnover and goal and it was the start of a change of momentum at a critical part of the game.  His actions were almost like telling his teammates I'm not sure, I'm not confident and I'm panicked and that sort of stuff from the captain can very quickly become contagious.  Sent my voice into overdrive when I saw it.

Yes I saw that as well and I was just as peeved. But in hindsight I recognise that he was under instruction to do that "hold things up a bit" and that is exactly what he did.

Apart from the above I saw him impose himself on the game more in the back half in the last quarter when we were going down the gurgler as a leader he stood up.

The "hold things up" strategy I believe nearly cost us the game. We should have been pushing on and scoring not stopping things.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #244 on: June 02, 2012, 01:32:33 PM »

Yes I saw that as well and I was just as peeved. But in hindsight I recognise that he was under instruction to do that "hold things up a bit" and that is exactly what he did.

Apart from the above I saw him impose himself on the game more in the back half in the last quarter when we were going down the gurgler as a leader he stood up.

The "hold things up" strategy I believe nearly cost us the game. We should have been pushing on and scoring not stopping things.

Yeah, agree also RRJ, I thought he did stand up when it counted and he played well, I was just highlighting what I thought was a glaring (and potentially game-changing) error.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #245 on: June 02, 2012, 01:36:06 PM »

Best game this season & BOG for mine

??? Based on.....?

tony_montana

« Reply #246 on: June 02, 2012, 02:40:24 PM »
I think hes been better in a couple of games this year and didnt think he had much impact last night let alone bog  ;D

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #247 on: June 02, 2012, 04:22:32 PM »

Best game this season & BOG for mine

??? Based on.....?

Based on what I saw and more importantly heard from over the fence giving instructions/directions super impressive leadership wise last night

Just my opinion   ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #248 on: June 02, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
Easily in our top 5 last night

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #249 on: June 02, 2012, 04:45:48 PM »
Would have him in our top 10, not 5.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #250 on: June 02, 2012, 04:47:54 PM »
All about opinions  ;D :cheers :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Gigantor

« Reply #251 on: June 02, 2012, 04:53:37 PM »
Chris is still our captain and one of our better players....Just think that with the inclusion of morris ,batch ,Dea,and Houli he seems lost at times to define what his role actually is.Last night he played the loose man at times and did very well

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #252 on: June 02, 2012, 05:38:56 PM »
He really stood up last night, i was sitting in the Saints cheer squad and it was late in the last qtr and Newy was going to run for a spell. Batch was running off also and only one of them could go. Newy sent Batch off and took a few deep breaths and dug deep and played the rest of the qtr out.

That was a great effort last night and probably went under the radar.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #253 on: June 02, 2012, 09:54:43 PM »

In the interests of fairness I need to correct an error in my original post.  The turnover didn't cause a goal, it was only a point to Milne from a set shot but that doesn't change my opinion of Newman's play.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #254 on: June 02, 2012, 10:33:52 PM »
Chris is still our captain and one of our better players....Just think that with the inclusion of morris ,batch ,Dea,and Houli he seems lost at times to define what his role actually is.Last night he played the loose man at times and did very well

Concur :thumbsup
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled