Author Topic: Chris Newman [merged]  (Read 93901 times)

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Re: Chris Newman [merged]
« Reply #255 on: June 04, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »
Thought he made one glaring error of judgment last night.  Early in the last quarter the ball came to Morris on the HBF who went sideways to Newman on the other flank.  Newman was about 20mts clear and had a golden opportunity to run straight through the centre before delivering a trademark 60mt kick down Riewoldt's throat (who would have been in a one on one).  Instead, he stopped, waited and invited all the Saint's momentum and pressure back into their forward 50 before delivering the ball back to where it came from.  The resultant pressure caused a turnover and goal and it was the start of a change of momentum at a critical part of the game.  His actions were almost like telling his teammates I'm not sure, I'm not confident and I'm panicked and that sort of stuff from the captain can very quickly become contagious.  Sent my voice into overdrive when I saw it.

It seems he has the memory of our victory over Adelaide when we went into slow down mode. A wonderful Wallace innovation. When newy slowed down we lost impetus. Next time I want us to bury them as we did against Hawthorn. What is the point of slowing the play down when we have the flow. It just allows the opposition in and we have seen how that goes.

In the interests of fairness I need to correct an error in my original post.  The turnover didn't cause a goal, it was only a point to Milne from a set shot but that doesn't change my opinion of Newman's play.

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #256 on: June 04, 2012, 05:14:45 PM »
Thought he played a captain's game against the saints. Played well aginst the Hawks as well. Hope he continues to play well for rest of year. Suits him being loose in the backline. Was very disciplined on Friday

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #257 on: June 04, 2012, 05:25:03 PM »
With
- rance/griff/grimes
- batch/dea/morris/houli

We have the cattle to play lock down defenders roles. No reason newy cant play as the loose man.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #258 on: June 06, 2012, 12:07:19 PM »
Newman a captain-coach
richmondfc.com.au
Wed 06 Jun, 2012

Richmond captain Chris Newman has taken on an unofficial playing-coaching role within the Tigers’ line-up, according to the Club’s senior coach Damien Hardwick.

The unassuming Newman, who recently reached league football’s 200-game milestone, is highly regarded by Hardwick for his astute football brain and leadership qualities.

“Unless you’re within our four walls, you wouldn’t know the impact he (Newman) has had on our playing group,” Hardwick said on SEN.

“His leadership, on and off the field, is outstanding.

“He’s a great character - one of those guys you love having around your footy club . . .

Read the whole article here: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/137923/default.aspx

gerkin greg

« Reply #259 on: June 06, 2012, 04:22:55 PM »
Thought he made one glaring error of judgment last night.  Early in the last quarter the ball came to Morris on the HBF who went sideways to Newman on the other flank.  Newman was about 20mts clear and had a golden opportunity to run straight through the centre before delivering a trademark 60mt kick down Riewoldt's throat (who would have been in a one on one).  Instead, he stopped, waited and invited all the Saint's momentum and pressure back into their forward 50 before delivering the ball back to where it came from.  The resultant pressure caused a turnover and goal and it was the start of a change of momentum at a critical part of the game.  His actions were almost like telling his teammates I'm not sure, I'm not confident and I'm panicked and that sort of stuff from the captain can very quickly become contagious.  Sent my voice into overdrive when I saw it.

In the interests of fairness I need to correct an error in my original post.  The turnover didn't cause a goal, it was only a point to Milne from a set shot but that doesn't change my opinion of Newman's play.

There was a Saints player guarding the centre square on his own as well as a spare man back on the 50m arc. Had Newman gone up the guts he would either have turned the ball over in a tackle or turned it over to the loose man in defense. All our players were manned up in front of him.

In the end the ball ended up back on the other wing for a stoppage closer to our F50 than Newman started. It then went inboard where Conca was caught and there was yet another stoppage. From there the Saints got the quick kick forward to Milne.

In the interests of fairness, hardly poor play from Newman.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #260 on: June 06, 2012, 07:55:29 PM »

There was a Saints player guarding the centre square on his own as well as a spare man back on the 50m arc. Had Newman gone up the guts he would either have turned the ball over in a tackle or turned it over to the loose man in defense. All our players were manned up in front of him.

In the end the ball ended up back on the other wing for a stoppage closer to our F50 than Newman started. It then went inboard where Conca was caught and there was yet another stoppage. From there the Saints got the quick kick forward to Milne.

In the interests of fairness, hardly poor play from Newman.

Disagree Gerks.  Newman was on the back edge of the square and well clear enough to have run 20+ metres before delivering deep into our forward 50 with one of his long penetrating kicks.  He would have either gone well over the head of the loose man (a common tactic to beat the press) or been able to isolate a one on one second option (Vickery springs to mind as the option) and in either case a better result given field position than where we ended up.

gerkin greg

« Reply #261 on: June 06, 2012, 08:46:21 PM »
watch the replay. just finished watching it twice.

if he kicks long he's kicking to a contest where % says the saints spare man cuts it off, he's perfectly set up to do so
if he tries to go for a run % says he'll come unstuck in the square, there is a man waiting for him and a man coming across to stop him from playing on

he sees that unfold before it can happen and pulls up then goes looking for another option

my only issue is he was a probably too slow in switching it

also, if you watch dimma's direct vid he talks about them playing offensively too quickly, so newy was doing what the coaches were asking and trying not to blaze away because the saints were set up for it and were coming back the other way too easily

harsh assessment if you ask me, considering it also took another 20 odd possessions and 2 stoppages after newy gets rid of it for the saints to turn it into a scoring opp

but you are entitled to your opinion  ;D

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #262 on: June 06, 2012, 09:44:35 PM »

if he kicks long he's kicking to a contest where % says the saints spare man cuts it off, he's perfectly set up to do so
if he tries to go for a run % says he'll come unstuck in the square, there is a man waiting for him and a man coming across to stop him from playing on

he sees that unfold before it can happen and pulls up then goes looking for another option

also, if you watch dimma's direct vid he talks about them playing offensively too quickly, so newy was doing what the coaches were asking and trying not to blaze away because the saints were set up for it and were coming back the other way too easily

harsh assessment if you ask me, considering it also took another 20 odd possessions and 2 stoppages after newy gets rid of it for the saints to turn it into a scoring opp

If he kicks long he kicks to a one on one and regardless of which one on one he kicks to I would think that those odds are ok given how our forward line was performing on the night.  He had the run and stacks of space to run into the centre before he would have come under any pressure so I don't agree with you that the best (correct) option was to prop, stop and look around.  If you look at the picture he would have easily made it to the Toyota logo and from there he would have been able to lob it very close to the square, taking any loose man on the 50 out of the equation.  And the "loose man" was only loose in that he was leading his opponent to the ball by about 5mts, he wasn't a loose man without an opponent; a well placed kick or change of direction from his opponent would have seen the Richmond player on his own inside 50.  Momentum in the play and the game was on our side and we needed to exploit that, not invite the Saints back into our faces.

gerkin greg

« Reply #263 on: June 06, 2012, 10:17:30 PM »

If he kicks long he kicks to a one on one and regardless of which one on one he kicks to I would think that those odds are ok given how our forward line was performing on the night.  He had the run and stacks of space to run into the centre before he would have come under any pressure so I don't agree with you that the best (correct) option was to prop, stop and look around.  If you look at the picture he would have easily made it to the Toyota logo and from there he would have been able to lob it very close to the square, taking any loose man on the 50 out of the equation.  And the "loose man" was only loose in that he was leading his opponent to the ball by about 5mts, he wasn't a loose man without an opponent; a well placed kick or change of direction from his opponent would have seen the Richmond player on his own inside 50.  Momentum in the play and the game was on our side and we needed to exploit that, not invite the Saints back into our faces.

Have looked at this photo twice and the loose man is not in frame. The two players just past the Toyota sign run towards Newman closing that space up. Watch it unfold twice. You may still not agree. The coach does.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #264 on: June 12, 2012, 11:19:50 AM »
Barrett has ranked Newy as the 9th best captain in the AFL

Rating The Captains
1. Joel Selwood
2. Jobe Watson
3. Adam Goodes (Jarrad McVeigh)
4. Darren Glass
5. Chris Judd
6. Nick Riewoldt
7. Luke Hodge
8. Gary Ablett
9. Chris Newman
10. Matthew Pavlich
11. Nathan van Berlo (OK)
12. Jonathan Brown
13. Nick Maxwell
14. Matthew Boyd
15. Dom Cassisi
16. Andrew Swallow
17. Jack Trengove (Jack Grimes)
18. Callan Ward (Phil Davis, Luke Power)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/138311/default.aspx

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #265 on: June 12, 2012, 11:27:36 AM »
lol Nick Riewoldt
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Ox

« Reply #266 on: June 12, 2012, 02:40:29 PM »
Barrett has ranked Newy as the 9th best captain in the AFL

Rating The Captains
1. Joel Selwood
2. Jobe Watson
3. Adam Goodes (Jarrad McVeigh)
4. Darren Glass
5. Chris Judd
6. Nick Riewoldt
7. Luke Hodge
8. Gary Ablett
9. Chris Newman
10. Matthew Pavlich
11. Nathan van Berlo (OK)
12. Jonathan Brown
13. Nick Maxwell
14. Matthew Boyd
15. Dom Cassisi
16. Andrew Swallow
17. Jack Trengove (Jack Grimes)
18. Callan Ward (Phil Davis, Luke Power)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/138311/default.aspx

9th

r u stuffing joking ?

HARDY stuffen HAH !

Newman is a likeable guy but he fails at kick in,f not thru consistant turnovers by foot that result in major scores but the ridiculous amount of time he sucks in his decision making.If it is a planned tactic,then he fails at that too.
Our productivity is higher when others kick in.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #267 on: June 12, 2012, 03:52:55 PM »
Yeah gee nice tongue in cheek there with ninth, stich my sides up now Barret, they be split with your prep school / weather man comedy
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #268 on: June 12, 2012, 03:59:29 PM »
I know the ball was in play but itbwas such a shame rfc didnt fight to protect the skippers honour.

dwaino

« Reply #269 on: June 12, 2012, 05:58:05 PM »
I agree with the extreme tops and bottoms. But the middle are just picked at random (except Newy at 9th hurr hurr). Ablett has to be either at the top or the bottom for starters. Either he's a ripper captain for carrying his team, or he's lousy because despite doing everything he can't get his team up in the clutch moments.