Author Topic: Chris Newman [merged]  (Read 93757 times)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Chris Newman [merged]
« Reply #420 on: April 23, 2013, 10:38:46 AM »
Is being left behind at present. Would Helbig offer more???

I'd rather 15 disposals and game time into Helbig, than 15 disposals a game from Newman who isn't getting any younger.

yep 100%

i cant understand why he isnt tried on the HFF. Its that position or Coburg IMO.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #421 on: April 23, 2013, 04:09:23 PM »
Is being left behind at present. Would Helbig offer more???

I'd rather 15 disposals and game time into Helbig, than 15 disposals a game from Newman who isn't getting any younger.

Either is Helbig  ;)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #422 on: April 23, 2013, 10:55:54 PM »
Can tell you Newys mind and body is fresher than ever. And from what I have heard the coaching panel have been happy with what he has produced this year. If you guys think he is going to win games off his own boot than yes he has struggled this year. But if you just want him to play his roll in the side, like he has always tried to do, than maybe he is going ok.
What makes me laugh about people expectations on players is i think they expect every player to be a champion. Let's face it, there isn't many champions in each side, there are a few and the rest are roll players. And the better the roller players, the better the side. Take a look at Sydney.

gerkin greg

« Reply #423 on: April 24, 2013, 09:35:57 AM »
As one of the few leaders in the side he needs to have an impact in changing momentum and setting the tone, Tone

Offline Tigger

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #424 on: April 24, 2013, 10:02:25 AM »
As one of the few leaders in the side he needs to have an impact in changing momentum and setting the tone, Tone

I agree...he is one of the leaders but at the moment, from the stands at least, it doesnt show on the field. 

Also, against the saints he missed the set shot for goal and a snap in the last quarter after Kingy (I think) handballed it to him at the top of the square.

Having said all that, for all we know, the coaches may be happy as larry with his game/output and this is all pure speculation.

I dare say that somone with Newys experience, they will not drop him in a hurry.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #425 on: April 24, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »
He was laughing about that missed shot at half time  :banghead >:(

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #426 on: April 24, 2013, 11:45:51 AM »
Just on the leadership thing

I actually watched a bit of the replay last night and noticed while the Captain was giving his pre-game in the huddle address Newy was standing on the outer of the huddle and not looking at the Captain, he was looking down the ground. Obviously, it caught my eye and my initial thought was "not a good look" especailly from a previous captain/leader

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #427 on: April 24, 2013, 06:01:54 PM »

I actually watched a bit of the replay last night and noticed while the Captain was giving his pre-game in the huddle address Newy was standing on the outer of the huddle and not looking at the Captain, he was looking down the ground. Obviously, it caught my eye and my initial thought was "not a good look" especailly from a previous captain/leader
Had to take a look at what you were talking about- OMG! "standing on the outer" Come on WP.  Are you serious! I am speechless if you have a problem with that. Jack no good either? Lighten up man. Do you seriously think DH would have a problem with that? The world's turned mad!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #428 on: April 24, 2013, 06:12:23 PM »

Had to take a look at what you were talking about- OMG! "standing on the outer" Come on WP.  Are you serious! I am speechless if you have a problem with that. Jack no good either? Lighten up man. Do you seriously think DH would have a problem with that? The world's turned mad!

Re-read my entire comment big tone. Don't highlight only part of it

I don't give stuff that he was on the outer of the huddle.

The bit that didnt look good was the fact he wasn't looking at the captain while Cotchin was speaking to the team. That was my point.

Guarantee you if if was another player and highlighted my the media folks would jump all over it.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

gerkin greg

« Reply #429 on: April 24, 2013, 06:51:58 PM »
He wasn't looking at Chimp because being on the outer all he could see were bloke's backs

Could you discern if he was listening?

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #430 on: April 24, 2013, 08:16:23 PM »

What makes me laugh about people expectations on players is i think they expect every player to be a champion. Let's face it, there isn't many champions in each side, there are a few and the rest are roll players. And the better the roller players, the better the side. Take a look at Sydney.

That's an incredible statement considering your comments on Ellis, especially as one player is a seasoned veteran who has no impact on a game and the other a second year player.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #431 on: April 24, 2013, 08:18:34 PM »

The bit that didnt look good was the fact he wasn't looking at the captain while Cotchin was speaking to the team. That was my point.

Guarantee you if if was another player and highlighted my the media folks would jump all over it.

If it was Jack we would still be hearing about it both from the whingers in the media and on here

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #432 on: April 24, 2013, 08:40:13 PM »

I think a player of Chris Newmans experience, age, loyalty, inelegance and footy nous can actually check to see who of Collingwood is heading to the forwardline,..... or who the umpires are for the day,..... and listen to Cotch at the same time.
Talk about over dramatizing things!  :thumbsup

Offline Tigers of Old

• Premiership Captain
  • @Tigers_of_Old
« Reply #433 on: April 24, 2013, 10:01:20 PM »
Been a fan of Newie for a long time but his decline is noticeable. Will do well to be in the best 22 by years end..

tony_montana

« Reply #434 on: April 24, 2013, 10:09:36 PM »
Harsh reality is he has little impact. He goes missing all too often