Author Topic: Who will be captain?  (Read 15985 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Who will be captain?
« on: January 24, 2005, 04:55:57 AM »
Royal mentioned on SEN on the weekend that the choice of captain was out of the following 4 - Bowden, Brown, Johnson and Richo. Who should and/or will get it?

I'll still stick with Johnno as although he arguably isn't the superstar footballer of the four, he has shown over a number of years he is the most consistent quality performer out of all of them IMO.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 04:59:05 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

Re: Who will be captain?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 09:20:13 AM »
I'll go for Bowden - winning the B&F last year and turning his form around hasn't hurt his chances.
Plus he's a pretty good communicator - his interviews on tellie are always good - and represents the club well.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 11:53:53 AM »
Forget exactly where and when, but I think it might’ve been Greg Miller who was being interviewed at some stage late last year and he mentioned that we didn’t really have anyone who was the whole package, as far as a Captain goes.  I guess, meaning someone who was an on-field leader, who could inspire his teammates, can work well in the media and be a good communicator and have the necessary maturity to match the role.

Having someone like TW as coach, who works really well in the media, probably places less priority on the Captain needing to gain a high media profile, so the emphasis on Captain could probably be geared towards the on-field side of things, seeing as the media side is pretty much handled and our biggest weakness is on-field leadership anyway.

Because we don’t see what goes on behind the scenes, of the 4 mentioned, it’s hard to know who the players look up to and how they relate to their teammates and all the other areas that will decide who the Captain will be.

So all we have to go on is probably not much.  Whoever is chosen will obviously need to earn the role first and all of them could probably do the job justice.  Of the 4 though, the one with the most obvious potential to grow in the role is Bowden.  To me, he seems the most likely to get something different out of himself by being Captain, if he put his mind to it.

So I’ll go Bowden as well.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 12:14:12 PM »
With no standout candidate I'd be happy with Johnson or Bowden. Brown may also be captain material, but I think there could be a favouritism perception with a TW - Brown combination, however unfair that might be.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 01:01:00 PM »
I reckon it will be out of Johnson or Richo.

I reckon Richo is a big show.

Also, I heard on them say on 3AW on Saturday that Tezza is due to be on Sports Tonight this week - Dwayne Russell said it was probably going to be tonight. maybe tezza will shed some light on it

I'll keep an ear out for it  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Who will be captain? Brown wants it!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 02:00:38 PM »
Brown wants to be Tiger captain
24 January 2005   Herald Sun
Rebecca Williams

A MORE mature attitude has Nathan Brown convinced he is ready to take on the Richmond captaincy.

The 26-year-old forward has revealed he will put his hand up to lead the Tigers in only his second year at Punt Rd.
Brown is one of four players who have been told they are in contention to replace Wayne Campbell, who stood down as captain at the end of last season.

Midfielder Kane Johnson, full-forward Matthew Richardson and 2004 best-and-fairest Joel Bowden are understood to be the other contenders.

Brown, whose TV role as a gay doctor on Footy Show spoof Bulger MD came under scrutiny by the club last year, said he had a lot to offer as captain.

"There's four of us who have been told that we're up for captaincy nomination," Brown said. "I'll definitely put my hand up.

"Two or three years ago, I wouldn't have thought that (I'd want to captain). But in the last two or three years, I guess I've matured and grown up a bit.

"At a club with so many young blokes now, I feel like I've got a lot to offer and a fairly good football brain.

"If that (captaincy) came my way, I'd grab it with two hands."

Despite the Tigers' woes last season, Brown is confident the new captain will be taking on the role in a stable environment.

Brown said new coach Terry Wallace, his former mentor at the Western Bulldogs, had already made a big impression.

"We've got a good relationship and it's just good to be reunited again," said Brown, who helped play a role in luring Wallace to the club.

"I can see after two years apart how good a coach he is, what he has to say and his ideas on football. I don't want to offend anyone else, but in my view he's easily the best coach I've played under.

"But he doesn't play any favourites. He's very hard on me as he always has been."

Like all at Punt Rd, Brown is desperate to make amends for a horror 2004, in which the Tigers finished last with just four wins.

"It was probably the worst season team-wise that I've ever had," Brown said.

"I finished on the bottom with the Bulldogs, but that was nothing compared to last year. We really hit rock-bottom.

"It's a very lonely place, football, when you're not winning and everyone wants to have a shot at you.

"Everyone was having a shot at us last year, and rightly so. We were terrible and we've got to try and gain respect back from the football world."

Brown is confident the Tigers can bounce back in 2005.

He said the injection of fresh blood, which included five of the top 20 draft picks, had already made a difference.

"We're not going to get ahead of ourselves and aim for anything ridiculous, but with a new coach and a new game style, it's been a fantastic summer to get our confidence back," Brown said.

"New guys really get the enthusiasm up around the club."

Brown said he felt fit and had added bulk this pre-season, but was aware "there are no heroes made in January".

He said he was prepared to take on whatever playing role Wallace required of him.

"I think under Terry it's going to be different," he said.

"It will probably go back to where I played at the Bulldogs. I'll probably spend 60 per cent of my time up forward and then releasing up the ground as Terry sees fit."

Despite the Dr Pink issue last year, Brown said he planned to continue his work in the media.

"Dr Pink has hit the skids now. I think he's in jail somewhere," he joked.

"But I'll continue to do my media work . . . there's got to be a balance there and you've got to be able to enjoy yourself outside of football, too."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12030593%255E20322,00.html

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 02:16:23 PM »
Brown for me.

Brown has as big a reputation ( meaning spectator and supporters alike) as any of them.
Brown is as good if not a better player than any of them.
Kane Johnson is carrying an injury.
Brown communicates to the media off the field better than any of them.
Brown is ready for the job, wants the job and knows what Wallace needs and wants better than any of them other than Royal and Royal is a coach and not a player so can't be captain.
Brown will better direct the game plan on the ground having played under Wallace before.

I just think he is the logical choice (all emotion aside) If Kane was 100% fit then he might have a bit more of a chance but doesn't match it with Brown (experiance wise) on other factors.

Now having posted this, they'll Pick Richo for the job.  ;D
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Who will be captain? Brown wants it!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 05:18:42 PM »
"I can see after two years apart how good a coach he is, what he has to say and his ideas on football. I don't want to offend anyone else, but in my view he's easily the best coach I've played under.

"It was probably the worst season team-wise that I've ever had," Brown said.

"I finished on the bottom with the Bulldogs, but that was nothing compared to last year. We really hit rock-bottom.

Not a tough choice for best coach after back to back wooden spoons for Browny under Peter Rhode and then Spud  :P.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 05:31:03 PM »
If Kane was 100% fit then he might have a bit more of a chance

Yeah that's the main negative against Johnno although he appears to be able to stay healthy moreso now than he did a few years ago with his hamstring problems.

I don't necessarily see that your best player has to be captain. Mark Bickley won back to back flags as captain and although he was a good player he was no superstar compared to the likes of Macleod and Riccuito.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 08:37:29 PM »
Also, I heard on them say on 3AW on Saturday that Tezza is due to be on Sports Tonight this week - Dwayne Russell said it was probably going to be tonight. maybe tezza will shed some light on it

I'll keep an ear out for it  :thumbsup

Well from what i heard there was no Tezza on 3AW - some tennis match going on until about 7.45pm ::) ::)

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 12:22:56 AM »
We shouldn't have a captain if we don't have a suitable candidate.

But as deficient as everyone is, I think Johnson has the least deficiencies.

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 12:10:33 AM »

I don't necessarily see that your best player has to be captain. Mark Bickley won back to back flags as captain and although he was a good player he was no superstar compared to the likes of Macleod and Riccuito.

Pls forgive my ignorance MT but why did Bickley lose the Crows captaincy?

(i was in the UK at the time.)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 12:57:26 AM »
Pls forgive my ignorance MT but why did Bickley lose the Crows captaincy?

(i was in the UK at the time.)

IIRC he did a Cambo. The crows missed the finals so he stepped down to play the last year or so of his career as just a player and passed the baton onto someone younger.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 12:59:08 AM by mightytiges »

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2005, 01:54:05 AM »
Bowden would be my choice for captain. Richo vice-captain.

Harshly judged by many Richmond supporters, more harshly than by opposition supporters. Along with Brown, the players who would be walk-up starters at any club.
Apparently both dropped from the leadership group in an unfair manner by Spud but still regarded as leaders by the players.

Bowden grew up in the NT where being laconic seems to be second nature, and I think many mistake this as laziness. He is a class act on and off the field and comes across very well in the media. I think he would handle all aspects of the captaincy and be distinguished in the job. Out of all the Richmond players he is the one I would actually feel proud to have as the captain.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tigers test leadership hopefuls
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 12:37:56 AM »
Tigers test leadership hopefuls
The Age
By Melissa Ryan
Mildura
February 3, 2005

Richmond's captaincy candidates get the chance to display their credentials under match conditions.

Richmond's captaincy choice will be forged "in the heat of battle" during the pre-season competition.

Tigers coach Terry Wallace will decide which of the four heirs apparent - Matthew Richardson, Nathan Brown, Kane Johnson or Joel Bowden - will lead the club into its new era after testing each one's leadership and performance.

Each of the four will have a trial game as captain in Richmond's Wizard Cup and practice match series, with Wallace hoping to name Wayne Campbell's replacement "deep into the Wizard Cup".

"We're very much in a situation where I said to the football club that I wanted to see the blokes in the heat of battle before I made my decision," Wallace said. "I always believe at this time of year, although it's physically hard, it's managed more.

"You follow instructions, you're told when to get there, what to do and everything's pretty much managed."

Two weeks ago, Wallace asked the playing group to rank the four players in a private vote, with their ballots to be seen only by the coach. He will also consult the board, the match committee and "I will probably ask a couple of people I respect outside the footy club" before making his final decision.

Neither Richardson - whose leadership prospects have previously been questioned after outbursts against teammates and towards opposition fans - nor Bowden were part of Richmond's leadership group last year, but both enjoyed superb individual seasons despite the team's poor showing.

Richardson booted 65 goals at full-forward and the often-maligned Bowden blossomed at centre half-back to claim the club's best-and-fairest award.

Johnson has been a model of consistency since crossing from Adelaide while Brown's impact after only a year with the Tigers has been sizeable.

"Those four will be the team leaders of the club," Wallace said. "Matthew's won best and fairests and is a top-level player, you've got Nathan who was vice-captain of Australia this year.

"You've got Joel who's a best-and-fairest winner and has history at the club, and you've got Kane who's been a really solid performer over a long period of time and a premiership player."

Young star Mark Coughlan, touted as a future club captain, and former vice-captain Darren Gaspar were not considered by Wallace, who opted to let them concentrate on overcoming groin and knee injuries respectively.

The four players were yesterday keen to play down any competition between them and reinforced their support for each other no matter who got the nod.

"Terry was in the media last year and the year before, and as an opposition coach, and to have him come in straight away and say, 'I see you as a strong consistent good player at this club and I think you can lead us into the future' is a boost for my aspirations to do that," Bowden said.

Johnson said: "All along we've said to each other we'll support who gets it. We don't really care which one - obviously we'd all like to do it - but at the end of the day whoever gets it will be the best man for the job and we'll be supporting who it is."

Richardson has longed for the captaincy "so if the opportunity came up, it would be fantastic".

Brown, meanwhile, said it was a "great honour" to be in the running after only a year and said he would be humbled if chosen. As well as an exciting batch of youngsters, he said, the club had "a great new coach, we've got two new ruckmen now so it would be a good time to be captain now".

CAPTAINCY CANDIDATES

Joel Bowden
Age 26
Debut 1996
Games 170
"The four of us are all very good friends and I think that's a positive. Regardless of who's annointed it will be a group of four who work together."

Kane Johnson
Age 26
Debut 1996 (Adelaide, joined Richmond in 2003)
Games 143
"It would mean a lot to me and I suppose it would mean a lot to all the boys ... If it came along I'd be more than happy and delighted to do it."

Nathan Brown
Age 26
Debut 1997 (Western Bulldogs, joined Richmond in 2004)
Games 157
"I'd be quite humbled and very excited at the same time ... If I get the opportunity to, I'll take it with both hands and do it to the best of my ability."

Matthew Richardson
Age 29
Debut 1993
Games 194
"Like anyone if you get the opportunity to captain an AFL team you'd love to take it, so if the opportunity came up it would be fantastic."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/02/02/1107228768709.html?oneclick=true