Author Topic: Andrew Krakouer threads [merged]  (Read 69102 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Krakouer's battle to beat trouble within (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #390 on: May 26, 2007, 04:47:04 AM »
Krakouer's battle to beat trouble within
26 May 2007   Herald-Sun
Mark Robinson

ON THE eve of Dreamtime at the 'G, Andrew Krakouer carries a dream.
 Krakouer night

Out of contract at Richmond at the end of the season, Krakouer - just 24 and playing his 100th game tonight - knows the next 14 games will decide his AFL career.

He admits to doses of anxiety, even fear, but is matter-of-fact.

"That's reality. You can look at it in each and every different aspect, but at the end of the day, it's reality. I've just got to do everything I can, and do what I am paid to do," he said.

"I've been in and out of the side and my form hasn't been too good, and it's something I'm not too happy with, but I know these last 14 games will decide whether I'm here or not at the end of the year.

"I know that and I'm going to do everything I can to make sure I am here next year."

It's been a tumultuous 2007 for the Tigers forward.

But those who have known him since a young boy, when he straddled the knee of his famous dad Jimmy back at Arden St in the mid-1980s, say life has been tumultuous.

Greg Miller, the Tigers football director, was at North Melbourne when Jim and his brother Phil arrived from Perth and changed football in regards to indigenous players.

He is a mentor to Andrew Krakouer as much as Kangas stalwart Ron Joseph was to the wayward Jimmy.

"He's had to handle a lot in his life," Miller said. "Everything has been a battle from day one and he's still battling.

"Not just family situations but personally. Everything. He grew up with his father in jail. I went with him a few times to jail."

Krakouer won't talk about his dad's troubled past, but loves talking about him.

"He's brutally honest about my footy which is what I need," Andrew said.

Young Krakouer's season has lurched from a nightclub punch-up, to court, to playing good footy, to being dropped, to tonight, where he will represent his people at the MCG.

The court case, in which he is answering to assault charges after an incident in Perth in December last year, continues. And Miller, much like a worried uncle, has concerns.

"I am concerned for him. Football is a vehicle for him and his family and I hope he continues to learn to push himself harder," Miller said.

"I've seen the difficult times in the last six months, with what happened in Perth and what he's gone though mentally with that. I think it weighs on his mind, no doubt."

Krakouer doesn't make excuses, but admits the Perth fracas is a heavy burden.

"People sometimes don't understand, they don't know what's going through your head . . . but there's a lot behind the picture, behind the player," he said. "The things that happened over in Perth have been playing on my mind a bit.

"In a way people might be (looking at me differently) ... I'm not quite sure what they would think, but I know who I am, and the people around me know who I am."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21795447%255E19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Krakouer night (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #391 on: May 26, 2007, 04:48:31 AM »
Krakouer night
26 May 2007   Herald-Sun
Mark Robinson

WHEN you look at Andrew Krakouer, you often wonder if he's happy in life.

On the field he shakes and bakes with minimal fuss, as most brilliant Aboriginal players do, but with Krakouer it seems even the most breathtaking of moments don't awake the exhilaration in him.

Off the field, Krakouer is private. Quiet. Certainly not one for media street, and never one to give too much away at press conferences when the rare occasion graces us, like this week in the lead-up to tonight's Dreamtime at the 'G.

That's who he is, but he seems to argue happiness, like beauty, is more than skin deep.

"I am quite happy and I am quite shy. I keep to myself, but I am a happy person," Krakouer said.

"I've got a pretty good rapport with people around the club. The side people don't probably see a whole lot of is the family side, I'm a bit more of a joker and my girls bring that out in me.

"But I'm not a very emotional man. I don't smile a lot on the field, but I do get excited at times. I just stay in my shell. I'm not quite sure why that is. That's just the nature of me. My dad was a pretty shy bloke."

For those old, and lucky, enough to remember, Jim Krakouer was a phenomenal player. He and his brother Phil took football to somewhere else. In the 1980s, Jimmy and Phil at the Kangaroos were Aaron and Alwyn Davey, Sean and Peter Burgoyne, Andrew McLeod and Adam Goodes all rolled into one . . . I mean two, though they often played like one, if that makes sense.

For Krakouer, life as the son of Jimmy has been mixed. Good and bad. Some say he has several of Jimmy's traits. And it's why, when Krakouer runs out to play his 100th game for Richmond tonight, there'll be no more prouder person than Krakouer himself.

"Yeah, I am proud," he said. "My background, where I've come from, I think it's a great effort. A lot of people wouldn't know much about my background, what I've had to deal with, what I've come through.

"They would probably know the things I had to deal with with Dad, but, yeah, all the people who know me and what I've come through . . . to be able to play 100 games means a lot."

And to do it tonight?

"It's like a fairytale, like a dream come true. I thought I might've been playing my 100th at Adelaide, but I was dropped for Port Adelaide and it didn't work out, but now it works out, it's amazing.

"I don't want to think about it too much, but to be able to play 100 games and get your name on the locker . . . I'm just overwhelmed with it."

Krakouer was drafted by the Tigers as a 17-year-old in 2000. He had been at the famed Clontarf Academy in Perth, had played no senior footy and had almost zero fitness base and no real pace. But he could play.

He grew up in Perth with his mum Fiona, to be near Dad while he was in jail, and then, at 16, his girlfriend Barbara became pregnant. They had Allira, now seven, and Tekia the year after. He moved to Melbourne as a young father, wide-eyed and keen, knowledgeable even then, that football had given him the opportunity to provide for his girls.

Tigers football director Greg Miller, a long-time family friend, is defensive of Krakouer, and shakes his head when Tigers fans heap criticism on the small forward and occasional midfielder.

He lacked consistency, said Miller, who seems hopeful more than confident that Krakouer will get another contract.

"I think he will because he is desperate to continue," Miller said.

"I think he is maligned by some Richmond supporters, and I don't like seeing our supporters make judgments on our players when they are not aware of all the facts, and the hard work and what the players need to go through to make the top grade.

"It's been tough for Andrew on a lot of fronts. He wasn't blessed with a lot of the natural ability other players have got. He hasn't got natural speed or a natural endurance base, therefore he has had to work harder than most in those areas to make up for it.

"And he's worked so hard to get 100 games. I've seen his improvement in work ethic grow from next to nothing to what it is now . . . and he works extremely hard.

"He knows he's in a vulnerable situation, he knows his contract is expiring, he knows that every game is so important to him. He knows to be able to provide for his family, which is the most important thing in his life, football is the vehicle and every game counts.

"I admire the battle he's made to improve himself in so many areas of his life."

Family is everything to Krakouer. His girls. His mum. And his dad.

"He respects his mum for the sacrifices she's made for the family over and over again under very difficult circumstances," Miller said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Krakouer night (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #392 on: May 26, 2007, 04:49:48 AM »
cont.....

Krakouer says his mum is an angel. "Without Mum around when we first came over, I don't how I would've coped with it," he said.

When it comes to his girls, it gets back to the next 14 weeks.

"It's very, very important to provide," Krakouer said.

"They are two beautiful little daughters, they are my world and I love them to death and to be able to give them whatever they want, like any father would, is important. Whatever they need, knowledge, anything, is really important to me.

"I can do that through footy, which I love doing, so it is win-win. And it gets back to the next 14 weeks, it's that important for me, to get everything back on track so I can do everything right."

Krakouer's pre-season was his best, but his form has not progressed into the season.

He started solidly, then trailed off before being dropped for the Bulldogs game in Round 4. He went back to Coburg seconds, because the seniors had the bye, and rallied for 36 kicks against Frankston.

He was promoted again, and then dropped after the Port Adelaide game, but saved himself with his best effort of the season against Adelaide, after receiving the call-up for the injured Chris Hyde.

Against the Crows, he tried a different approach to get into the game. After talking to Tigers director of football Brian Royal, Krakouer marked his hand with an "X".

"I've been drifting in and out of games and the cross was a reminder for me, like how can I get involved, how can I get my next possession, how can I stay involved in the game, instead of going through the motions and waiting for the footy to come down," Krakouer said.

"So every time I was out of the play, I'd look around, look at my hand, and make constructive talk, make a tackle, a shepherd, just do something, as long as I'm involved in the game."

Krakouer says being the son of a famous footballer hasn't been a burden, and that he loves his dad's involvement and advice.

"You know, a lot of people have said to me, 'Oooh, Jimmy Krakouer's son'. They probably might have expected a lot from me, but in a way I don't think it's a burden. Since I was drafted, I thought I've got to make my own way, my own name. We are totally different people, different players.

"He's a massive part of my life, a great support, and he loves going to footy games, getting down to the rooms after the game. The players love having a chat to him. They say to me, 'Yeah, just had a chat to Jimmy'. And Dad says the same. He loves getting down to have a chat with the boys and I love seeing him down there.

"He's always ringing me during the week, asking how I'm going, am I doing extra training, am I doing this, am I doing that? He's on to me. He gets pretty down on me, I suppose, but that's a good thing.

"He's my most critical judge, which is good. He's brutally honest, which I need. Terry (Wallace) is as well, but Dad's been there done that and knows what it takes to be the best."

Jimmy will be there tonight, as will Fiona and the girls.

Andrew was planning to ask the club if he could run out with Allira and Tekia to make the night even more memorable. His face lights up at the prospect - he and his two on the MCG for Dreamtime.

"They would love it," he said. "Most blokes do it in massive milestones -- 250s, 200s, 300s . . . it would be great. I have thought about it, so I might have to ask."

To the suggestion he might wait for his 200th, he says: "I'm not even looking that far. Most blokes who play, say, 250 games, they are just young men. If I ever play that many games, my kids will run out and they'll be teenagers."

Yep, Andrew Krakouer is happy.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21794440%255E19742,00.html

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Krak's 100th this week
« Reply #393 on: May 26, 2007, 08:22:06 AM »
Good articles on Krakouer.  I just hope he can live up to all the hype and put in a real corker for us tonight.

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
Re: Krak's 100th this week
« Reply #394 on: May 26, 2007, 08:24:47 AM »
Good articles on Krakouer.  I just hope he can live up to all the hype and put in a real corker for us tonight.

a bag of 5 would be nice!
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #395 on: May 26, 2007, 11:28:58 AM »
Against the Crows, he tried a different approach to get into the game. After talking to Tigers director of football Brian Royal, Krakouer marked his hand with an "X".

;) ;D :shh  ;D

:gotigers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #396 on: May 26, 2007, 06:10:05 PM »
"It's been tough for Andrew on a lot of fronts. He wasn't blessed with a lot of the natural ability other players have got. He hasn't got natural speed or a natural endurance base, therefore he has had to work harder than most in those areas to make up for it.
Not sure if that's what a AFL footballer wants on his CV when he is out of contract.

All the best to Andy tonight. I hope he kicks another bag against the Dons.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #397 on: May 26, 2007, 07:44:15 PM »

;) ;D :shh  ;D

:gotigers
Oh I just got that.  Very funny :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Is this the end for Krak?
« Reply #398 on: May 31, 2007, 05:45:54 PM »
After getting dropped this week, it looks like the dreamtime game was Krak's 100th and potentially one of his last games for Richmond. Hard to see him surviving after this season when as a more seasoned player you get dropped from a team half full of kids for the second time in a month.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
Re: Is this the end for Krak?
« Reply #399 on: May 31, 2007, 09:28:09 PM »
After getting dropped this week, it looks like the dreamtime game was Krak's 100th and potentially one of his last games for Richmond. Hard to see him surviving after this season when as a more seasoned player you get dropped from a team half full of kids for the second time in a month.

Just hasn't done enough this year. He has fumbled the ball at absolutely critical times this year and it may well cost him his career.

I think it's fair to compare him to Milne, and despite Milne's occasional brain fades he is simply more dangerous around goal. Krak will never kick 10 in a game...

It's sad to think that his career is on the wane, he seems a dedicated father & he has certainly given me moments of excitement during his career, he should get some good coin to play over in WA and he'd be a leading player over there. 
Heinrich Heine

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #400 on: May 31, 2007, 10:11:03 PM »
Yep finished and not before time.

More likely to be delisted at seasons end than picked up either.

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #401 on: May 31, 2007, 10:20:22 PM »
When I say WA I mean the WAFL.
Heinrich Heine

Offline Officer Barbrady

• Tiger Rookie
  • OK, move along people nothing to see here.........
« Reply #402 on: June 01, 2007, 02:41:31 PM »
Must admit mt, that was the exact thought I had when I saw him in the 'outs'.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #403 on: June 01, 2007, 04:02:04 PM »
David King on Krak's demotion...

David King said the axing of Krakouer, who played his 100th AFL match last week, did not signal an end to the 24-year-old’s career.

“We are certainly not putting anyone’s careers on the line or anything like that,” he explained.

“Selection is based on how your form is going and if it is not somewhere near your best then you are a chance to be replaced.”

http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=44396

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Port Adelaide interested in Krak
« Reply #404 on: July 07, 2007, 03:28:29 AM »
Port Adelaide are after Krak according to today's Australian.

So what would we want in return in a trade for Krak?

Port Adelaide has also expressed an interest in Richmond forward Andrew Krakouer, who recently played his 100th game but has been in and out of the Tigers line-up this year.

He comes out of contract at the end of the season.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,22031878-2722,00.html