Author Topic: Official Team for Round 15  (Read 7308 times)

Offline akhoury

• Tiger Rookie
Re: Official Team for Round 15
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2011, 12:20:44 PM »
I think people are kind of missing the point. Fact is Coburg have been horrible this season and we have yet to have a forward have a dominant game at that level. Perhaps its better off putting Griffiths in the seniors where the midfielders and other forwards can give him a bit of the footy. All players who have shown reasonable form at Coburg this season have been either midfielders or backman, because the ball never leaves there D50.

Kind of highlights the fact that we need our own reserves team.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2011, 12:30:19 PM »
I think people are kind of missing the point. Fact is Coburg have been horrible this season and we have yet to have a forward have a dominant game at that level. Perhaps its better off putting Griffiths in the seniors where the midfielders and other forwards can give him a bit of the footy. All players who have shown reasonable form at Coburg this season have been either midfielders or backman, because the ball never leaves there D50.

I'm a big believer to only call up players based on form but you make a great deal of sense here. Griffiths was playing down back to get some run in his legs and perhaps the other reason was, as you mentioned, at Coburg our midfield isn't strong enough to win the ball and deliver the ball to our forwards. So using this logic, Thursfield should have had plenty of opportunities to shine - did he? And also following on with this logic does this mean Helbig has been non-competitve for Coburg?

Interesting

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2011, 12:32:59 PM »
you aren't the bloke picking up kids in Boronia by any chance?

Golly gosh

Offline akhoury

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2011, 01:46:28 PM »

I'm a big believer to only call up players based on form but you make a great deal of sense here. Griffiths was playing down back to get some run in his legs and perhaps the other reason was, as you mentioned, at Coburg our midfield isn't strong enough to win the ball and deliver the ball to our forwards. So using this logic, Thursfield should have had plenty of opportunities to shine - did he? And also following on with this logic does this mean Helbig has been non-competitve for Coburg?

Interesting

Truth is you can put Thursfield in the VFL reserves and he still won't get 15 marks and provide run and carry. Its not his style of game, he will never be in the bests unless his defensive job was on a player of high calibre. From all reports his defensive game was good last week. Something had to give after last week, our defence leaked way too many marks inside 50.

Helbig has been good at Coburg, but has hardly been dominant. Thats no blight on him though because as a first year player I dont expect him to be above that level as of yet.

In all honestly I think injuries are beginning to really affect our team, ideally we would have Connors and Morton in the side ahead of Helbig. Also Grimes was a real find and its a shame he was injured as well as Astbury.

Tigermonk

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2011, 01:48:45 PM »

Can hardly make out what your trying to say with the spelling of a 4 year old. You talk too much for a guy with no sense.

Gourdis played a blinder was rewarded with a senior game and looked horrible. Doesn't always work like that.

We don't have a gun first 22 players that need our reserves to play blinders to take positions off them. We carry our last 10 players picked.

Common sense prevails, drop guys who aren't playing well. We haven't got playing ripping up the VFL to come in. Would you like to play with 16 players instead?

And cut the Coliingwood crap out  ;D l know l have brought it on myself owning a membership, its just to make it easy to enter games with my family.
l hate Collingwood with a passion just like Carlton. The Melbourne membership is carried on for my late father because Melbourne is my second club l follow taking him to games when he was unable to take himself. Same as he was a Richmond member so he could take me to games when the club was powerful & winning premierships in the 60, 70, as a kid growing up it was the greatest thing to see & hear.

Now back to the football topic Lets debate this

Gourdis got rewarded because of continued good form you say, "Oh thats what l was saying" you just contridicted my post. players must play well over a period to be rewarded. Why drop Gourdis for 1 bad game when he is clearly the best defender at Coburg & played several consistant games there for all of us wanting him to be selected.   Let him settle & learn how to play with the senior list. That cannot be achevied on the training track. It can only be done in a game under preasure at that level. l find that de-selection a bit of a shock considering Rewoldt is out of form.

We could use that as a example of Griffiths in for Rewoldt but l wont cause Rewoldt is clearly in our best,  But needs a reminder to get on top of his game. He has no injury as said.  Players who carry bad hips from previous games dont try to outmark 200cm giants who are marking well

Thursfield clearly has no form to be rushed in, We know his coming back from injury & played 1 game at Coburg (?) was he in the Coburg best because l never looked.  He lacks match fitness at any level & it will show by halftime in a AFL game. This is not fair nor should be done to the other players in the squad,  to pick up for a player who will run out of match fitness & be a burden on the rest. Maybe Dimma will manage him through & if so l hope he does lead by example cause someone down the backline need to stand up & help mold a defence.

McGuane clearly needs dropping, His game is riddled with flaws. Shouldnot be recalled till his game is clean. Honestly l dont know where his at.

Defense is where we are losing the games. Send Millar down the back is what l would do. He does have good skills & is strong.  We have forwards in Rewoldt & Vickery so maybe this is the structure to bring in Griffiths. His also been down the backline but l would prefer him in the forward if fit. l got nothing against Griffo if he works & maintains his body. l got nothing against Rewoldt by BTW apart from berating his own teammates when he is clearly not in good form.

The only way for Dimma to fix the defence is to build it himself over the next few years with drafting new KPD,  the type that will mold around our running backmen Deledio who is backing himself  with his ball & carry & confident. Even Newman is making crucial mistakes but the preasure is constantly on him.

Now the other thing is all of us are saying how bad some of these players went on the weekend. None of us have given credit to Melbourne who's team were cocky & came to play football.  

1 other thing you said we dont have a gun 22 players for our reserves to take positions off, Thats a good comment & if thats the case you dont reward players like Thursfield or Griffiths that dont have form by pushing out a player like Gourdis after 1 bad game.

But l'm not the coach or do l know his thinking & its obvious to me he knows what his doing cause he is a premiership player at 2 clubs & been involved in premierships at several clubs but l have faith in him. If Thursfield & Griffiths are in then we will just have to watch & if l'm wrong then l will face my critics. If l'm right l still dont get nothing out of it because my team might lose.

Edited: as the original offending post has been edited, therefore the quote referencing it has been edited as well
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 02:00:07 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2011, 01:53:04 PM »

Although I agree the time has come for the RFC to have its own VFL team, I don't think the on-field performance of Coburg highlights it at all. They are 2 very seperate issues IMHO

Facts are for the majority of the the VFL season thus far the Coburg side has a had majority of RFC players in it (10-14 a week) so the on-field results are actually more than likely mirroring what the reuslts would be if we had our own VFL side.

Regarding stand alone AFL teams in the VFL comp the question should simply become are our young players development being enhanced or hindered with an alignment? The results are irelevant TBH

Anyone who thinks a stand alone RFC VFL team would be winning games with such a young group of players is (a) kidding themselves and (b) missing the point of why you'd field your own team IMHO But here's a hint, it isn't about wining VFL premierships,
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2011, 02:00:29 PM »
Snip topic people

gerkin greg

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2011, 02:26:37 PM »
Send Millar down the back is what l would do. He does have good skills

:chuck

19yr old nearly kicked 7 goals on him in Round 12

Tigermonk

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2011, 03:09:25 PM »

l like this post, so thats one way of looking at Griffiths development.  :thumbsup

Tigermonk

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »

Although I agree the time has come for the RFC to have its own VFL team, I don't think the on-field performance of Coburg highlights it at all. They are 2 very seperate issues IMHO

Facts are for the majority of the the VFL season thus far the Coburg side has a had majority of RFC players in it (10-14 a week) so the on-field results are actually more than likely mirroring what the reuslts would be if we had our own VFL side.

Regarding stand alone AFL teams in the VFL comp the question should simply become are our young players development being enhanced or hindered with an alignment? The results are irelevant TBH

Anyone who thinks a stand alone RFC VFL team would be winning games with such a young group of players is (a) kidding themselves and (b) missing the point of why you'd field your own team IMHO But here's a hint, it isn't about wining VFL premierships,

l just think our overall development would improve. VFL should go back to what is used to be & all AFL clubs field reserves sides. playing on the same day & same ground.

Remember what it was like to go to a game & sit there watching the Richmond reserves, l still got the last premiership coached by Swabby on video. Time to upgrade it onto DVD & upload it onto the net me thinks  ;D

Tigermonk

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2011, 03:32:41 PM »
Send Millar down the back is what l would do. He does have good skills

:chuck

19yr old nearly kicked 7 goals on him in Round 12

maybe so Gerks but thats 1 game, surely his got something more to offer, otherwise its no different mistake than like the past with Kingsley.
l really beleive Millar is doing his job, just aint kicking goals

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2011, 04:46:36 PM »
Melbourne is my second club

What is a second team ?  There can be only one !
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2011, 05:00:50 PM »

Nah Black you can have a soft spot for another team, especially those ones our parents followed.

« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2011, 05:19:32 PM »

Nah Black you can have a soft spot for another team, especially those ones our parents followed.

Dad was in the 1948 under 19's North Melbourne premiership team (North's first flag),

I have a soft spot for them now that Dad is no longer with us.

But I still remember being dragged along to Arden St as a kid to watch them play and putting up with the mud and the fights and blokes peeing into empty cans next to me. Then having to take a drunk father home on the train most Sat arvos.

Was invited to watch Richmond in a match at the MCG one day and we sat up in the old southern stand, I was dry, I could see and their were toliets that worked (and were used). I converted on the spot, the year was 1965, and never went back to Arden St ever.

End of story.  :cheers

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2011, 05:43:32 PM »
miller out for griffiths, as was always going to happen once griffiths was ready. should keep the myopic chicken littles happy, for a while

mcguane and goo out for post and and thursty,

conca and webberly out for king and helbig.

Keeping Miller in the side makes no sense if our most promising KPP is match fit and available. His development comes at the expense of Miller. Miller knows it, BG knows it, Dimma knows it and all would be okay with it. How is that chicken little or are you getting bit chicken little yourself?

not real sure what you are trying to say, but perhaps you have misinterpreted what i was saying.

I'm rapt to see see griffiths replace miller, but i'm glad they waited until they felt he was ready , which is why i tolerated him being in the side for the short term, unlike some.

I get the logic, I don't get this chicken little poo. You say you're happy to see griff in (when ready get that), You're happy enough he replaces miller (still with you at this point) but then make some obscure, smug reference to chicken littlers being kept happy for a few weeks (lost me wtf are YOU talking about)
Bizarre.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.