Author Topic: Stopping the boats  (Read 64950 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Stopping the boats
« Reply #420 on: June 27, 2014, 04:37:51 PM »
What about the ones that die in their own country

Cause they are going to get killed - be it due to religion nor ethnic minority

Yet unable to come here via legal means

Please give me the nationalities and I will give you my thoughts. Without listing 100.

Be sensible in the nationalities and I'll provide what I think they should do.

Where to start ?

Tamel sir lankians
Afgans of Mongol ancestry
Palestinian ...
Kurd iraq
Girls that want to study without having acid throw at them or there sex organs sliced off...

tony_montana

« Reply #421 on: June 27, 2014, 05:25:49 PM »

Have you no heart?

:huh

Don't get smart.

I sponsor an entire primary school in the Philippines and help teach English and maths.

It's the illegal boat people that make it so difficult for legitimate people like my wife to migrate here the correct way.

Don't question my heart when it comes to people less fortunate.

:clapping

x2  :clapping

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #422 on: June 27, 2014, 06:44:23 PM »
I'm sure your wife is a gun and I am sure she should be allowed in our country if me or you or her were in charge

It's not about my wife mate.

I'm using her as an example in point.

She is one of 10's of 1000's looking to migrate to our great county legally and with the means to do so. The process is made so much harder for all those thousands.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #423 on: June 27, 2014, 07:04:53 PM »
how do refuges seeking asylum affect people who simply want to migrate?

They are different processes completely.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #424 on: June 28, 2014, 12:36:47 AM »

Tamel sir lankians
Palestinian ...
Kurd iraq
Girls that want to study without having acid throw at them or there sex organs sliced off...

I'll start with an easy one being Palestine.

Go to Cyprus. No luck there, Greece, dont like Greece? Keep paddling a bit further to Italy. Italy won;t have you? Ok, I get it, this isn't working, paddle a bit more in the Mediterranean to France or Spain, WHY GO MORE THAN 3 TIMES AS FAR TO AUSTRALIA. There are dozens of countries a lot closer.

Or won't those countries have them? What arseholes. To quote 1965, "don't they have a heart?".

Wow, all those countries must not be letting them in.

So lets battle the high seas and head for the soft country Australia.

We move onto anyone from Iraq.

SAME DEAL. You Spanish, French, Greek, Italian, Cypriat dogs. Now they are Aussie problems.

Afghans of Mongol ancestry. Not being rude here, but is Mongolia an option? If not, give Russia or China a go? Hek, lets trek half way round the globe to the funny looking big island, whats it called again?

Sri Lankans. Please. They sail straight past Singapore.  What? Singapore won't have them? Why not?????

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #425 on: June 28, 2014, 05:47:29 AM »

Tamel sir lankians
Palestinian ...
Kurd iraq

Go to Cyprus. No luck there, Greece, dont like Greece? Keep paddling a bit further to Italy. Italy won;t have you? Ok, I get it, this isn't working, paddle a bit more in the Mediterranean to France or Spain, WHY GO MORE THAN 3 TIMES AS FAR TO AUSTRALIA. There are dozens of countries a lot closer.

Or won't those countries have them? What behindholes. To quote 1965, "don't they have a heart?".

SAME DEAL. You Spanish, French, Greek, Italian, Cypriat dogs. Now they are Aussie problems.

Afghans of Mongol ancestry. Not being rude here, but is Mongolia an option? If not, give Russia or China a go? Hek, lets trek half way round the globe to the funny looking big island, whats it called again?

Sri Lankans. Please. They sail straight past Singapore.  What? Singapore won't have them? Why not?????

All of this true but it is not illegal to seek asylum in Australia and it is not illegal to come by boat.

And this is true by both Australian and International law.

Again stopping people dying at sea is a good thing but acting almost as bad as NAZI Germany is wrong.

'65

PS I loved your story about yourself and your family.  :lol

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #426 on: June 28, 2014, 08:38:45 AM »
the Mediterranean countries have a much bigger problem with asylum seekers already than we do, and many many more associated drownings 

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #427 on: June 28, 2014, 08:48:47 AM »
And it's not illegal to protect your sovereign borders, especially in these days of global terrorism.  If these people were all genuine refugees then I would have a lot more compassion but they aren't, they're queue jumpers and for them I have zero sympathy.  A good mate of mine applied a number of years back to migrate from England with his family - he was a tradesman that fitted our country's work requirements, had plenty of money in the back, working wife, teenage children and family already settled in Australia (some of them born here).  It took him 3 years to get approved to migrate and the process included security checks, financial checks and health checks, and at the 11th hour he was nearly rejected because of a minor health issue related to his age (mid 40's).  So if a family from his culture and background is required to go through all this in an effort to migrate here, why the hell should queue jumpers from other countries skip the steps and time required just because they have sold up everything to pay it to unscrupulous and illegal people traffickers to get to their country of choice?  The fact that many of them don't get approved proves the need to go through the process and I for one, am damn glad we do make them wait until we have fully checked them out.  No-one would have anything but sympathy and compassion for genuine refugees but I do question people who, as Damo says, bypass any number of countries that are signatories to the same UN Refugee Charter that we are, just to get to Australia.  A genuine refugee gets to the first point of sanctuary they can, and at that point they are then free to put into action any plan for their future that they are able.  So to all the queue jumpers waiting at Manus, Christmas or any other holding camp - wait your bloody turn and next time, try becoming Australian residents the legal way, the way that everyone else in the world has to.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #428 on: June 28, 2014, 09:28:43 AM »
Approximately half those seeking asylum arrive on our shores via other means than "illegal" boats or Irregular Maritime Arrivals.
That means these people have means to legitimate forms of entry (ships and planes) but often still arrive on our shores without valid Visas.

These people are not locked up or threatened with long periods of incarceration as a deterrent, nor do they invoke the sort of response from the public as the Irregular Maritime Arrivals do.

Yet less than half of these people end up being genuine refugees.

Of those that arrive by boat on our northern borders, about 90% end up being legitimate refuges.

It all seems a bit arse about to me.

Why do those that are predominately legitimate refugees get treated like criminals and cop all the hatred, while those that are lucky enough to have the means to catch a plane or cruise ship and are largely non legitimate refugees not get a mention?

These are the real cue jumpers. These are the people that are simply wanting to migrate but abuse the system by falsely claiming asylum, rather go through the correct immigration channels.

Yet not a mention. All the angst is for those that are genuinely fleeing for their lives.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #429 on: June 28, 2014, 11:29:59 AM »

Did I miss something? What part of it was funny? Thought it highlighted a reasonable point of the debate

Rather than having a heart, perhaps a bit of respect rather than one of these   :lol would be more apt
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:29:38 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

tony_montana

« Reply #430 on: June 28, 2014, 05:02:01 PM »

Did I miss something? What part of it was funny? Thought it highlighted a reasonable point of the debate

Rather than having a heart, perhaps a bit of respect rather than one of these  :LOL would be more apt

x2

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #431 on: June 28, 2014, 05:19:53 PM »

All of this true but it is not illegal to seek asylum in Australia and it is not illegal to come by boat.

And this is true by both Australian and International law.

Again stopping people dying at sea is a good thing but acting almost as bad as NAZI Germany is wrong.

'65

Damo

I'm told your story is correct.

My apologies for doubting you.

:cheers

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #432 on: June 28, 2014, 07:08:40 PM »

Tamel sir lankians
Palestinian ...
Kurd iraq

Or won't those countries have them? What behindholes. To quote 1965, "don't they have a heart?".

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #433 on: June 28, 2014, 07:25:16 PM »
Judge.

Lets say there was a massive war and crisis in New Caledonia and the refugees set sail for Italy, Spain, France etc????

Of course they wouldn't.

They would head to Australia and fair enough too. We are a logical port for a genuine refugee in that instance.

The inverse is happening with your examples.

It would be like a boat from New Caledonia bypassing Australia and setting sail past 10 more options before lobbing on Italy's door.

It's rediculous to think that would occur.

How are people on the other side of the world Australia's responsibility?

I feel for them, I do.

But there are better, cheaper, quicker options closer to home.

Coming to Australia via illegal people smugglers takes money, planning, time AND A LOT OF RISK. Avoid the high seas and head somewhere safer.

Use them!

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #434 on: July 07, 2014, 05:47:10 PM »
Its funny how boat people get a all the air time

And Chinese investors buying inner Melbourne private property is a none issue

Imo