Author Topic: Stopping the boats  (Read 64508 times)

Him

Stopping the boats
« on: September 17, 2011, 09:58:31 AM »

I am beginning to wonder if the immigration/boats debate is being manipulated by Julia Gillard to such a degree that it would make Machiavelli proud.

Julia has said that she is committed to stopping the boats through her "Malaysian" solution. Her proposed changes to the Immigration Act will clearly not get passed by Parliament.

By asking Abbott and the Libs for help she has backed them into a position where they will be the cause of the policy failing.

Julia can then say that the only solution is to instigate a policy of onshore processing of the "boat people".

:thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Stopping the boats
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 07:10:53 PM »
Of course it's pure politics. Both sides are trying to look "tough" and are just pandering to the anti-immigration losers and the media who freak out over refugees arriving by boat by not by plane  ::).

Ironically when we didn't have any mandatory detention in the 80s nor offshore processing not one boat arrived for 7 straight years! Just shows overseas conflicts play the major role in the number of refugees arriving rather than what stupid pollies in Australia come up with.

http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/bn/sp/boatarrivals.htm#_Toc285178607

The most people who have arrived by boat in any one year is 6,600. So it's not even half our required annual international obligated refugee intake of 13,500. It's also just 3% of our total immigration intake per year. All this fuss and taxpayers money wasted on pretending to stop a small number of asylum seekers entering the country who even if taken to Nauru or somewhere offshore they enter Australia eventually anyway. So yep they are all playing politics trying to wedge the other. It's all about perception instead of reality.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 07:26:16 PM »

Just shows overseas conflicts play the major role in the number of refugees arriving rather than what stupid pollies in Australia come up with.

After fighting against Italy in WW11 we went through a period of large italian immigration into the country.

After getting involved in Vietnam we received a large influx of vietnmese.

Lately it was the iraqis, and more recently Afghanistan.

Eff i hope we dont go to war with the Yanks
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 07:53:21 PM »
After fighting against Italy in WW11 we went through a period of large italian immigration into the country.

After getting involved in Vietnam we received a large influx of vietnmese.

Lately it was the iraqis, and more recently Afghanistan.

Eff i hope we dont go to war with the Yanks
A few Yanks here already :yep

You're right btw al. Even after WWI a few Italians migrated here  :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 01:59:37 PM »
Blow a couple up and they will stop coming.

Offline Sabretooth

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 02:13:05 PM »
Promote shark infested waters instead of, "oh by the way, they've relaxed the laws".

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 05:44:28 AM »

Turning the boats back 'risks lives': Admiral Ray Griggs

by: Brendan Nicholson and Paul Maley
October 20, 201112:00AM

THE new chief of the navy has highlighted the dangers to defence personnel and asylum-seekers of turning back boats at sea, as promised by Tony Abbott under his border protection plans.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/defence/turning-the-boats-back-risks-lives-admiral-ray-griggs/story-e6frg8yo-1226171197750

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 07:16:49 PM »

Six "Boat People" have died today.

This could have been prevented if Tony A had stopped playing politics for a minute.

And don't even pretend that this is Julia's fault.

RIP six citizens of the planet

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-01/six-asylum-seekers-believed-drowned-en-route-to-australia/3613528

Asylum seekers drown on way to Australia

Six asylum seekers including two children have drowned after their boat bound for Australia sank, Indonesian authorities said.

The West Java Anti-People Smuggling Task Force says about 18 asylum seekers are missing after the boat, carrying about 70 people, sank off the coast of Java.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 07:45:29 PM »
Perhaps the adults who in all likelihood paid for themselves and their kids to be placed in the dangerous situation, should take responsibility for their deaths. Why is it any polititians fault?

Modern Australia is the 'soft touch', and all taxpayers are getting taken for a ride.

I'd rather pump that money into the Heath system, increasing pensions or putting homeless people in homes.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 06:05:47 AM »
Perhaps the adults who in all likelihood paid for themselves and their kids to be placed in the dangerous situation, should take responsibility for their deaths. Why is it any polititians fault?

Modern Australia is the 'soft touch', and all taxpayers are getting taken for a ride.

I'd rather pump that money into the Heath system, increasing pensions or putting homeless people in homes.

i don't care who is at fault.

But clearly Tony A could have prevented this if he wasn't so power hungry.

I wonder how many liberal voters out there are feeling just a little remorse at his actions.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 07:10:00 AM »

I wonder how many liberal voters out there are feeling just a little remorse at his actions.

You say you don't care who's fault it is but in the next sentence you are saying it's Abbott's fault because he "could have prevented this"

Look I detest the man but the simple facts are the people at fault are the smugglers and those stupid enough to get on the boats that clearly not safe

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 07:51:49 AM »
It could also be that that no matter how unsafe the journey is,people undertake it because their current lot is just so bad, not that they are stupid?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 09:50:41 AM »

You say you don't care who's fault it is but in the next sentence you are saying it's Abbott's fault because he "could have prevented this"

Look I detest the man but the simple facts are the people at fault are the smugglers and those stupid enough to get on the boats that clearly not safe

I was not and will not apportion blame but...

FACT is Tony A has it within his ability to stop this happening again.

But he won't because he is a power hungry little grub.

People are dying but bringing down the Government is more important.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 10:16:53 AM »
It could also be that that no matter how unsafe the journey is,people undertake it because their current lot is just so bad, not that they are stupid?

Fair point

I was not and will not apportion blame but...

You are apportioning blame by saying .....

FACT is Tony A has it within his ability to stop this happening again.

That is where you are wrong

And BTW Tony is wrong in spruiking his policy will stop the boats and trying to con the Australian people that he can stop the boats - he cannot, the ALP cannot. Just because the don't make it to Aust waters doesn't mean the boats stop

No policy will stop the boats & anyone who believes that is living in "noddy" land

Fact is people who are despearate enough will try anything and the smugglers know that and and they will keep supplying the unsafe boats

Lock up one smuggler and there will be another one waiting in line to send out the next boat
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 11:30:19 AM »

WP

Tell me how the "Malaysian" solution won't work?

A boat arrives and they all get shipped off to Malaysia and go to the back of the refugee queue.

Why hop on a boat?