Author Topic: Stopping the boats  (Read 64536 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Stopping the boats
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 12:01:30 PM »

Tony has the opportunity to show some compassion (wouldn't hurt his standing with the public) and pass this legislation.

It is time to do something that will stop these needless deaths.

And Narau is not an option, neraly all of the refugees sent there have ended up in Australai. It is not a deterrent to the people smugglers or the refugees.

FACT

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/asylum-seekers-drown-on-way-to-australia/story-e6frf7jo-1226182962789

Up to 20 feared dead after asylum seeker boat sinks off Indonesia

THE Federal Government is urging the Coalition to reconsider its opposition to the Malaysia people-swap solution in light of the drowning deaths of asylum seekers en route to Australia.
But the Opposition says the tragic event should not be used for political purposes.

At least seven people were confirmed dead late last night by Indonesian authorities, who said the vessel went down just hours after leaving from a port in Central Java.

The death toll was expected to rise with more people still missing.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 12:58:21 PM »
65 you are laughable. You are still ranting on with your political vitriol and losing credibility with every contradicting post.
Why not forget about politics for one second and stop and look at why these people are coming, how they are getting here and why more and more are coming every day.

Ponder this analogy, If horse manure was being dumped on your doorstep every day, would you 1, look at how to stop who is dumping it or two concede that it cannot be stopped and then just look at various costly options for someone to remove it, spray a bit of air freshener on it and then send it straight back to you.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 01:15:57 PM »

Tony has the opportunity to show some compassion (wouldn't hurt his standing with the public) and pass this legislation.

Maybe its time you did something if you feel so strongly about it. Certainly opening up your house to a few refugees or newly arrived immigrants would be an appropraite action, and one which is consistent with your viewpoints. So tell us, when will you be registering your house with the relevant authorities, or have we mistaken you?

And Narau is not an option, neraly all of the refugees sent there have ended up in Australai.
FACT

FACT: - Australai is spelt A U S T R A L I A. Irrespective of what your poitics are, we all love this country so the least can do is not insult every one and try to spell it properly. Get it right or go back to school.  :police:

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 01:28:30 PM »

Maybe its time you did something if you feel so strongly about it. Certainly opening up your house to a few refugees or newly arrived immigrants would be an appropraite action, and one which is consistent with your viewpoints. So tell us, when will you be registering your house with the relevant authorities, or have we mistaken you?

And Narau is not an option, neraly all of the refugees sent there have ended up in Australai.
FACT

FACT: - Australai is spelt A U S T R A L I A. Irrespective of what your poitics are, we all love this country so the least can do is not insult every one and try to spell it properly. Get it right or go back to school.  :police:

Yeah right.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 01:36:28 PM »

WP

Tell me how the "Malaysian" solution won't work?

A boat arrives and they all get shipped off to Malaysia and go to the back of the refugee queue.

Why hop on a boat?

Tell me how it can?

I would be willing to give it a try but struth you are grasping at straws if you think it will stop all the boats I will say it again FACT is wont.

But to humour you as to why I think it wont work:

One becasue it only covers 800 people, dont' need many boats for 800 people - so what happens once the hit we magical 800 number. Where do they go then? You are assuming that after a few interceptions of boats all the smugglers will say "oh dear this is too hard & we're not doing this anymore" - Isn't going to happen

And 2ndly and most importantly it doens't matter where they get shipped off to people will still hop on a boat and try to get to Australia or wherever because desperate peole do desperate & stupid things

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 02:10:31 PM »

FACT

Yeah right.

You still haven't answered my question, so I assume you have chosen to avoid the question because it the answer weakens your earlier rants.

Your opinion is therefore flawed. Not that we didn't know any different  ;)

I'll be in the spa

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 02:31:09 PM »

FACT

Yeah right.

You still haven't answered my question, so I assume you have chosen to avoid the question because it the answer weakens your earlier rants.

Your opinion is therefore flawed. Not that we didn't know any different  ;)

I'll be in the spa

Yeah right.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 02:39:09 PM »
Tell me how it can?

I would be willing to give it a try but struth you are grasping at straws if you think it will stop all the boats I will say it again FACT is wont.

But to humour you as to why I think it wont work:

One becasue it only covers 800 people, dont' need many boats for 800 people - so what happens once the hit we magical 800 number. Where do they go then? You are assuming that after a few interceptions of boats all the smugglers will say "oh dear this is too hard & we're not doing this anymore" - Isn't going to happen

And 2ndly and most importantly it doens't matter where they get shipped off to people will still hop on a boat and try to get to Australia or wherever because desperate peole do desperate & stupid things

It won't be the people smugglers who will decide it's not worth it, it will be the refugees.

These are not stupid people (you are sounding a little racist but I'm sure that wasn't the intent).

And you don't think Malaysia will enter into another agreement. They accept 800 Australia funded refugees and get to offload 3000.

It will work, just think about it logically.

'65

PS I spell checked this reply just to keep the grammar NAZIs happy

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 04:37:01 PM »
These are not stupid people (you are sounding a little racist but I'm sure that wasn't the intent).

excuse me?

Please tell me where I was sounding a little racist?

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 05:04:19 PM »

excuse me?

My apologies but I did say you "are sounding a little racist but I'm sure that wasn't the intent"

Your words "because desperate people do desperate & stupid things" sounded a little racist to me.

But back to the topic, I gather from your deflection you might find merit in what I am saying but don't want to admit it.

'65

I wait for more deflection, prove me wrong.  :bow

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 05:14:15 PM »
How could this be interpreted as racist , in any sense?

You are one weird cat 65.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 05:37:01 PM »
Your words "because desperate people do desperate & stupid things" sounded a little racist to me.

But back to the topic, I gather from your deflection you might find merit in what I am saying but don't want to admit it.

Er there was no deflection

I had no idea what thew hell you were referring too and still don't

Because I don't understand how you've come to the conclusion that saying "because desperate people do desperate & stupid things" sounds "a little racist" to you

My comment had nothing to do with race - it was a simply a point of view that desperate people sometimes do desperate & stupid things. Their race has absolutely nothing to do with it

ANd no I don't find any merit in what you said because IMHO the smugglers will still line up the boats and the refugees will still and get on them. The only difference is we wont hear about it

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 06:35:07 PM »
WP

What do you think should happen?

'65

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 08:26:12 PM »
The only difference is we wont hear about it
And that appears to be the only aim of the pollies. Who cares about the asylum seekers just as long as the issue is politically killed off for their sake and they appease the losers in society who need a scapegoat and those in the media who are obsessed with every boat arrival as if we are being invaded  ::) despite the fact the number of boat people arrivals has never ever reached more than half our required annual refugee intake.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 10:00:46 AM »

excuse me?

My apologies but I did say you "are sounding a little racist but I'm sure that wasn't the intent"

'65

I wait for more deflection, prove me wrong.  :bow
Wow I ordered a Burger the other day and asked for BBQ sauce instead of Tomato. :o I had better stop that for fear of being labeled a racist.

Comedy gold 65! Keep em coming champ.  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 11:15:46 AM by tiga »