Author Topic: Stopping the boats  (Read 66060 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Stopping the boats
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2012, 08:40:32 AM »
What if aliens substituted our government with idiots, and we're all just part of a massive tv program to see how long it takes to figure it out?

What if we are all fooled but we are too unintelligent to know? This is correct

What if the first humans were super smart and the reason we are so dumb is because we are all inbred?  according to the bible, this is probably true

What if what we are living is so stuffed up because its an alternate reality to the real world?

What if we cant walk through mirrors only because our reflection is in the way?

What if every time we have déjà vu, its because we actually died and we have just reincarnated to the last save point?

What if all the animals talk the same language and were the odd ones out? This is definitely true

What if you are the only person that exists, and everyone else is a robot?

What if you are in the process of dying, and your life you live is simply flashing before your eyes?

What if in an alternate world, girls hump guys, poot tastes good and hamburgers eat people?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2012, 09:38:50 AM »
we make everything too complicated and drawn out these days.

The whole immigration policy could so much simpler;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PfDro1UGUo

gerkin greg

« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2012, 11:31:40 AM »
 :lol

havent seen that for years

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2012, 09:09:45 AM »

Funny how this whole debate has gone quiet since we started processing on-shore.

:thumbsup

'65 (from sunny Queenstown NZ)

10 FLAGS

« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2012, 06:06:33 PM »
funny how labor goes from one crisis to the next hey 65. who you guys gonna get for a speaker next  ;D

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2012, 06:45:11 PM »
apparently the bloke making the complaint is also suing the commonwealth because he made similar complaints about slipper 8 or 9 years ago and howard govt did nothing.

Wilke is about to get his payback for the way he was shafted over his pokie reforms when slipper was appointed.

they all should be be shot and then we can start again

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2012, 02:47:42 PM »
Trouble in Tony's paradise?

Liberal MP calls for rethink on Malaysian solution
By chief political correspondent Simon Cullen
Posted June 22, 2012 14:25:55

All options, including the Malaysian solution, need to be reconsidered as part of a renewed effort at shutting down the people smuggling trade, according to Federal Liberal backbencher Mal Washer.

Dr Washer's comments come amid the unfolding tragedy north of Christmas Island, where dozens of asylum seekers are feared to have drowned after their boat capsized.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Opposition Leader Tony Abbott have both declared it is too early to talk about border protection policies, and the focus should be on rescuing those still in the water.

The latest tragedy will increase pressure on the major parties to try to end the stalemate over offshore processing and find a solution to the issue of boat arrivals.

The Coalition has argued strongly against Labor's proposed Malaysia deal, describing it as "bad policy" that will not work. They have instead insisted the Government restore the Howard government's policies, including reopening the detention centre on Nauru.

But Dr Washer says all options should be on the table.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-22/opposition-mp-flags-malaysian-solution/4086976

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #127 on: June 27, 2012, 04:04:23 AM »
The most sensible article written on the issue. If Tony is convinced the Labor Malaysian solution won't work, then pass it and watch it fail.

Sound-bite diplomacy no solution to asylum seeker quandary

Michael Gordon.

The impasse over boat people casts no credit on our politicians.

THERE is a simple way to end the impasse on asylum seeker policy, but Tony Abbott and his immigration spokesman refuse to embrace it. Why?

They say the so-called Malaysian solution won't work because the cap of 800 asylum seekers will be exceeded before the opposition leader can pump up the tyres on his bike. They say it won't work because conniving people smugglers will fill their boats with children, who will not be sent to Malaysia under the controversial people-swap arrangement. They say the 800 sent back to Malaysia will simply make their way back to Indonesia and jump on another boat.

If they are right - and they may be - the policy the government insists will deter people from risking their lives on leaky boats will be exposed as a cruel fraud within a matter of weeks.

The plan is predicated on the belief that the number of people prepared to hand their life savings to people smugglers will shrink to a trickle after the first couple of plane loads from Christmas Island touch down in Kuala Lumpur.

If this doesn't happen, assuming Prime Minister Julia Gillard remains committed to the deterrent-value of offshore processing, there would be no reason not to embrace the Abbott alternative.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/soundbite-diplomacy-no-solution-to-asylum-seeker-quandary-20120626-210cu.html#ixzz1yvJMUo8m

edited to correct spelling
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 06:17:59 AM by 1965 »

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2012, 09:08:58 PM »

Am I the only one who cares about this?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2012, 09:50:43 PM »

Oakshotts amended bill got passed in the Lower House

But will get defeated tomorrow in the senate and we still have the same problem = we go around in circles once more

In answer to your question I think some people do some don't. People have views perhaps they just don't want to discuss them.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2012, 11:04:38 PM »
I have a view......as long as the boats don't get to Tasmania who gives a Rats :cheers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2012, 11:12:29 PM »
But will get defeated tomorrow in the senate and we still have the same problem = we go around in circles once more
Spot on WP. It's not in Abbott's political interests to see it through pass through the Senate tomorrow so it won't. As you say around in circles we go.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #132 on: June 28, 2012, 06:15:20 AM »

As many know I am a Greens voter and voted Democrat back in the Don Chipp days but...

If the Greens put principles before the lives of aslyum seekers I will never vote Green again.

:banghead

The current law has a 12 month sunset clause so if it doesn't work then it can be thrown out and the Labor and Liberal parties can take their various policies to an election.

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #133 on: June 28, 2012, 06:51:05 AM »

I had this conversation yesterday with a group of friends and we decided that there's two groups - one that would like to see the asylum seeker boats sink to the bottom of the ocean and the ASs eaten by sharks and the rest who are two scared to voice their concerns because of the racist element in this country who would lay into them if they did.
I'm not afraid to say what I think.
I think people who could wish babies, women etc to drown at sea are despicable people, and an opposition party that wouldn't try its darndest to try and reach a resolution by refusing to even discuss the issue is not a party I would support.
I think the whole last week has been a blight on our country, it's lack of morals and integrity and total lack of compassion.
You lose your compassion for people and life, you may as well shoot yourself in the head because you're just a walking, talking zombie..
To answer your question, no, you are not alone.
But the chatter is definitely very quiet on this issue and you have to wonder why.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #134 on: June 28, 2012, 07:21:41 AM »

As many know I am a Greens voter and voted Democrat back in the Don Chipp days but...

If the Greens put principles before the lives of aslyum seekers I will never vote Green again.

:banghead

The current law has a 12 month sunset clause so if it doesn't work then it can be thrown out and the Labor and Liberal parties can take their various policies to an election.

Then I don't thnk you will be voting Green again

They will not change their stand on this so this bill will get defeated just like the Coalition wont change theirs because it doesn't suit thier political purpose at this time.

HAve to say we have a bunch of cowards up in Canberra these days
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)