Author Topic: Stopping the boats  (Read 66407 times)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Re: Stopping the boats
« Reply #180 on: August 12, 2013, 05:02:26 PM »
One way to stop the boats is to make them watch "Jaws" on high rotation in the days before they set sail in those dangerously crappy boats. I can imagine them all screaming down at the dock "We're going to need a bigger boat!! We're going to need a bigger boat!!!"

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #181 on: August 29, 2013, 10:32:19 AM »
AFP arrests 5 alleged people smugglers during dawn raids in three states

A series of raids nationwide by the Australian Federal Police (AFP) has netted several key people suspected of involvement in people smuggling in Australia and overseas.

The arrests of five men - from Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iran - during series of dawn raid across Victoria, South Australia and New South Wales came after a 12-month operation involving more than 100 officers, the AFP's national operations manager, Assistant Commissioner Steve Lancaster, told a news conference this morning.

Mr Lancaster says the arrests involved "key players" in several major offshore smuggling syndicates who were "actively involved" in recruiting and financing people smuggling to Australia.

Those arrested had allegedly been involved in planning and facilitating the arrival of up to 132 vessels bound for Australia, he said.

Operation Delfinium, which received hundreds of tip-offs from the community, would likely lead to more arrests and should serve as a warning to those involved in people smuggling, he added.

"There are two clear messages here that I would like to come out today: one from a disruption perspective, today's actions will have an impact," Mr Lancaster said.

"It will impact on those that are involved in those syndicates, no doubt, and [the arrests] will guarantee there will be further arrests made.

"From a deterrence perspective, this is not the end. If you are involved or you were involved in people smuggling, with the current intelligence we held and with intelligence that we have received from over 200 members of the community, it is likely that if you are a significant people smuggling organiser that you are likely to be known by us.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-29/asylum-seekers-human-trafficking-boatpeople/4920904
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #182 on: September 02, 2013, 10:01:22 AM »
Coalition's plan to buy the boats a 'crazy' policy that will not save lives or money

Date September 2, 2013

Jonathan Pearlman, Peter Martin

The claim

"Buy the Boats" has joined "Stop the Boats".

The Coalition wants to work with Indonesian police and an international partner to buy unsafe fishing boats. Spokesman Scott Morrison wants "the option to be able to get that boat before the people smuggler does and stop that boat from leaving Indonesia".

"That saves lives, it saves the taxpayers' money ultimately," he told a Darwin press conference.

It would, if it worked. If it didn't, it would waste money.

Does it stack up?

Indonesia has the world's fourth-largest coastline. Its fishing industry employs 6 million people. Fishing accounts for 5 per cent of its GDP. In 2004 the United Nations counted 729,682 boats in Indonesia. That number has risen.

Dr Sam Bateman, a retired Australian Navy commodore now at the Australian National Centre for Ocean Resources & Security, says it's not "a particularly bright idea".

"It is so open to abuse. What is a fair price for a boat?" he asks.

Morrison told PolitiFact he wasn't proposing wholesale purchases, but rather "targeted intelligence-led buybacks".

His policy has been put forward without the support of Indonesian authorities. Mahfudz Siddiq, the head of Indonesia's parliamentary commission for foreign affairs, says the plan is "crazy" and "degrading".

Dr Christopher Roberts of the ANU National Security College doubts whether it is feasible "in terms of implementation, let alone an agreement with the Indonesian side".

"Do people smugglers come forward and say 'please buy my boat'? It would need a lot of money when people smugglers can put 100 people on a boat at $5000 a person."

He says some analysts have labelled Kevin Rudd's plan to resettle all boat people in Papua New Guinea a "39-day policy" – an unworkable election fix. Morrison's might be labelled a "15-day policy".

On ABC's Insiders on Sunday Tony Abbott conceded it was possible the Coalition would never buy a single boat from Indonesia.

Finding

Morrison says buying Indonesian boats would save lives and save taxpayers' money. There's no evidence to support the contention.

A PolitiFact rating of ''pants on fire" applies where a statement is not accurate and makes a ridiculous claim.

PolitiFact rates Morrison's claim "pants on fire

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/coalitions-plan-to-buy-the-boats-a-crazy-policy-that-will-not-save-lives-or-money-20130901-2syzu.html#ixzz2dgl3rDRL
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Rampstar

« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2013, 10:36:10 AM »
No one cares 65. Labor did such a bad job over the past 5 years it doesnt matter anymore. Abbotts going to win.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #184 on: September 02, 2013, 10:37:08 AM »
Stop the boats.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #185 on: September 06, 2013, 05:00:01 AM »

The Libs are cutting $4.5 billion from foreign aid and up to $1 billion from aid to Indonesia.

No mention of PNG but similar cuts will happen there.

There goes any chance of Abbott being able to "Stop the Boats".

Don't be fooled by this prick.

Coalition figures clear as mud
Federal Election 2013 Date September 6, 2013
Tim Colebatch

So the poor will pay. Having already targeted local battlers and refugees to pay for new spending and tax cuts, the Coalition has now targeted the world's poor - cutting $4.5 billion from future development aid.

Under its formula, Indonesia alone stands to lose $100 million this year, and up to $1 billion over the next four years. This will not help Tony Abbott's chances of getting the Indonesian co-operation he needs to stop the boats.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/coalition-figures-clear-as-mud-20130905-2t85s.html#ixzz2e2v8LNpf

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #186 on: September 06, 2013, 08:50:09 AM »
Unlike being fooled by the 2 worst pricks this country has ever had as prime minister.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #187 on: September 06, 2013, 10:03:55 AM »
Unlike being fooled by the 2 worst pricks this country has ever had as prime minister.

We might resume this conversation in a couple of months.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #188 on: September 06, 2013, 10:33:20 AM »
 :thumbsup

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #189 on: September 06, 2013, 02:07:02 PM »
Looking forward to Saturday because its the only time when you can get a sausage sizzle without having to go to Bunnings where I always seem to spend a frikkin fortune.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #190 on: September 06, 2013, 03:45:40 PM »
Looking forward to Saturday because its the only time when you can get a sausage sizzle without having to go to Bunnings where I always seem to spend a frikkin fortune.

I have to make an excuse to not vote with the wife.

That's when I get to partake.

:cheers

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #191 on: September 08, 2013, 11:34:02 AM »

I have to make an excuse to not vote with the wife.

That's when I get to partake.

:cheers

Got to the booth too early no snags ready when I left.

:(

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #192 on: September 08, 2013, 01:00:55 PM »
You guys must vote at upper class booths - I've never struck a sausage sizzle at any booths I have ever voted at, although there was a cake stall at a couple.   :'(

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #193 on: September 16, 2013, 11:08:53 AM »
Voted at 8am and we had Sausage sizzle, Ice Cream Van, trinket stalls, Espresso Coffee truck, Plant sale and even a Mime or two! Jealous Smokey??  :lol

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #194 on: September 16, 2013, 12:24:27 PM »
 :P :P :P :P :P :P