Author Topic: Brandon Ellis to Gold Coast / Richmond receive pick 39 as compo [merged]  (Read 297854 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Brandon Ellis [merged]
« Reply #1845 on: May 20, 2019, 02:56:52 AM »
Ellis has staged a stunning turnaround

Two months ago, it was hard to see Brandon Ellis' long-term future being at Punt Road. One of just three restricted free agents in the AFL, Ellis was out of Richmond's best team – and looked on his way to being out the door at season's end. Tigers coach Damien Hardwick has since revealed that might have been his fault. He concedes he focused more on what Ellis couldn't do, rather than what he could. Since giving him a reprieve, he's allowed the premiership Tiger to show what he's good at. On Sunday, he did just that. He ran, he carried, he won his own footy and he delivered it precisely. His 35 disposals were the most he's won all season, complementing 13 marks and five clearances. It was the seventh time from eight matches this year in which he's had more than 20 touches. From being out of favour, Ellis now looks like one of the team's most important and influential players. Retain that consistency and he might also prove one of its most indispensable.

- Riley Beveridge

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-19/nine-things-we-learned-from-round-nine

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1846 on: May 20, 2019, 03:09:08 AM »
Hardwick admits he only has himself to blame in underestimating Ellis

Daniel Cherny
The Age
20 May 2019

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has pointed the finger at himself for focusing too much on what Brandon Ellis can’t do, rather than the premiership defender’s capabilities.

Ellis had been a regular under Hardwick since the start of 2012 but has found himself in and out of the side over the past 14 months.

But the creative dasher was one of Richmond’s best on Sunday, finishing with 35 disposals.

Hardwick accepted that he had become too concerned with the cons of Ellis’ game.

“He’s had some challenges, there’s no doubt. The great thing about Brandon, the thing I love, is he accepts the areas he’s got to get better at,” Hardwick said.

“But also as a coaching group, I probably didn’t understand and back in his strengths enough. That was on me. To his credit, he’s gone on and is playing some wonderful footy. He’s playing his natural game, his ability to run and create, use the ball, mark, has just been really evident for me to see, which is really pleasing.”

Hardwick acknowledged his own vulnerability as a coach.

“I was probably looking at areas of his game, they’re not poor, but they’re probably below in some areas. But what I sort of forgot as a coach, and it’s really poor on my behalf, is that he’s great in a lot of areas. I’ve got to remind myself to look at those areas. Now we’re seeing the dividends of our coaching group backing him in,” Hardwick said.

“It’s a good reminder to all of us coaches.

“It happens from time to time, and at stages I’ve got to get better at catching myself doing it. I know when I’m at my worst, unfortunately, Brandon’s one of those guys, he’s really close to me, that cops it the most.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hardwick-admits-he-only-has-himself-to-blame-in-underestimating-ellis-20190519-p51p2k.html

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1847 on: May 20, 2019, 10:29:10 AM »
Been better the last 2 weeks. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1848 on: May 20, 2019, 12:59:07 PM »
Elite marking display - but that's never  been his issue...more importantly he didn't apper to shirk the contest....Houli on the other hand.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1849 on: May 20, 2019, 04:02:19 PM »
I liked his game yesterday. His possessions were actually productive compared to his usual meaningless ones.
Maybe he traded himself out of his SuperCoach team and hence didn’t worry about the dinky sideways kicks and then the run around the back to get it back again. (Only joking)
Played well and yes I didn’t see any of “those” moments.
That effort should be the norm.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1850 on: May 20, 2019, 06:13:28 PM »
If he keeps playing like this he will poll very well in the B&F and is worth keeping. Keep it up Brando!

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1851 on: May 20, 2019, 06:51:45 PM »
having a good year so far, looks like getting dropped gave him a rocket.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1852 on: May 20, 2019, 07:17:02 PM »
I liked his game yesterday. His possessions were actually productive compared to his usual meaningless ones.
Maybe he traded himself out of his SuperCoach team and hence didn’t worry about the dinky sideways kicks and then the run around the back to get it back again. (Only joking)
Played well and yes I didn’t see any of “those” moments.
That effort should be the norm.
There actually was one of those moments, but it was only a little one and it happened right in front of me. However, he played a fantastic game overall and I am once again extremely happy to be proven wrong by a player. Well done Brando and keep it up!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1853 on: May 20, 2019, 07:27:58 PM »
Great call to move him back to the wing (which most here were saying all along).

I think we’ve all known that he is a great kick which made it even more frustrating to see him play safe with the sideways and backward chip passing coupled with him pulling out of contests.

The renewed freedom he has been afforded has obviously given him much more confidence and he is less likely to shirk a contest

The club that keeps giving.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1854 on: May 20, 2019, 08:28:21 PM »
Playing really well this year :clapping

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1855 on: May 21, 2019, 04:24:20 PM »
If he keeps playing like this he will poll very well in the B&F and is worth keeping. Keep it up Brando!

The problem the club will run into is the salary cap.

With Balta to sign as well, plus upgrading Ross and Stack there will not be many dollars to share around. Only Grigg's $ in the Bank.

Can see Ellis attracting some decent offers and we will be unable to match. Even if Ellis decides to stay for less it would mean someone else in the middle contract range would be squeezed out.

Going to take some creative accounting by the club.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1856 on: May 21, 2019, 08:37:40 PM »

The problem the club will run into is the salary cap.

With Balta to sign as well, plus upgrading Ross and Stack there will not be many dollars to share around. Only Grigg's $ in the Bank.

Can see Ellis attracting some decent offers and we will be unable to match. Even if Ellis decides to stay for less it would mean someone else in the middle contract range would be squeezed out.

Going to take some creative accounting by the club.
Every good side over the years have players that get squeezed out due to salary cap pressures.
I think with the kids we have coming through Bellis could be the one.
I hope he leaves with 2 premiership medals though.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Brandon Ellis to put contract talks on hold (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1857 on: May 24, 2019, 02:21:35 PM »
Can Tigers find space to keep Ellis?

Herald-Sun
24 May 2019

Damien Hardwick admits he has fallen back in love with Brandon Ellis.

Now the in-form Tigers wingman will have to hope the club’s list management has the will — and cap space — to show him some affection too.

Clubs that are crying out for leg speed and precision kicking like Carlton are expected to come hard at the restricted free agent.

No talks have started yet, with Ellis assessing his options but clearly keen to stay if the price is right.

He has peeled off four 100-plus point rankings points games in the past six weeks, including last week’s 35-possession, 10-contested possession game against Hawthorn.

Those who pot his kicking should note that it is in the elite category this season, with Ellis also kicking five goals in eight games.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/moneyball-latest-trade-whispers-contract-news-on-james-sicily-adam-tomlinson-brandon-ellis/news-story/6814111a735255d90a65a4882d9870e3

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1858 on: May 24, 2019, 02:36:18 PM »
Big name midfield target for next year so our cap's either not as tight as people think or - more likely- we'll be making some room... :shh

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1859 on: May 24, 2019, 03:02:53 PM »
Classic pump then dump  :shh
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.