Author Topic: Brandon Ellis to Gold Coast / Richmond receive pick 39 as compo [merged]  (Read 301156 times)

dwaino

Re: Brandon Ellis [merged]
« Reply #885 on: June 29, 2014, 06:21:15 PM »
I understand everyone's criticism of Ellis and not going to deny any of it but I'm not ready to write him off yet. At pick 15 in an uncompromised draft he would have gone to a top 4 side and looked like a superstar racking up a heap of touches on the outside and winning a little inside and many would be carrying on how another slipped through the cracks of the top 10. He's starting to get a lot of football, granted a lot uncontested, but you would hope that over time his decision making and execution will improve. If he's no better by the end of next season then sure. Otherwise might turn out a little like Chris Masten at the Eagles in regards to being a whipping boy for years before it finally clicked and became a decent cog in the midfield. One of the things really going for Ellis I think is his overhead and contested marking which is probably better than a lot of the players in his position.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #886 on: June 29, 2014, 06:30:19 PM »
I think the kid will be considered an elite midfielder in the next couple of years. His running capabilities and footskills are sublime at times (anyone see his left foot kick to Jack in the first quarter). I think he's also far braver than he's being credited for. Sure he's backed out of a couple of contests but he's still a kid and these deficiencies are still being ironed out of his game. He has a far greater upside to Grigg who plays the same role. :shh

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #887 on: June 29, 2014, 06:32:36 PM »
With the amount of average player in the mid 20s and late 20s plus groups of the list - given elllis age and potential to get better he is not worth looking at as a problem for a few season at least

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #888 on: June 29, 2014, 07:06:55 PM »
Haven't written him off completely but for the jury is still out sadly in a big way. I'll praise him when it's warranted but question when he puts out sub standard efforts that leaves me doing this  :huh3 or this :banghead just like we all do with other players

I suppose more than anything I've been frustrated with his progress, they (club) talked him up this year and as I said based on pre-season talk he hasn't delivered IMHO.

Said it somewhere in this thread a few pages back. His greatest strength is his long kicking, why he kicks short as much as he does is staggering.

I read the comments about his backing out of contests, some people say he doesn't do it too much but when certain players do it once they are crucified. For me I'll give a kid a season to get it out of their game. This is his 3rd and it hasn't got any better which is much an indictment on our coaches as it is on the player.

Just my take
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #889 on: June 29, 2014, 07:35:12 PM »
Willy P, he has been frustrating no doubt but I blame the club putting wraps on him when he's perhaps not ready.

He's 20 years old. We have SO many other targets.  ;D
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #890 on: June 29, 2014, 07:38:17 PM »
Averages more than 25 possies at 72% , could increase his contested rate however he can still be a damaging outside player which we need ....on his way to becoming a very good footballer! all bloated opinion aside  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #891 on: June 29, 2014, 08:32:39 PM »
Willy P, he has been frustrating no doubt but I blame the club putting wraps on him when he's perhaps not ready.

He's 20 years old. We have SO many other targets.  ;D

That's why I said about the backing out of contests this

I read the comments about his backing out of contests, some people say he doesn't do it too much but when certain players do it once they are crucified. For me I'll give a kid a season to get it out of their game. This is his 3rd and it hasn't got any better which is much an indictment on our coaches as it is on the player.

Coaches should have put him back to the VFL to teach him it wasn't acceptable. But no what have we done? Gifted games for the last 2.5 seasons, made him the face is this years membership campaign and had him take over the kids membership thing. That's basically telling him "it's OK, all good"
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

the claw

« Reply #892 on: June 30, 2014, 12:32:50 PM »
jury is out for me still.

ellis is another lacking in basic areas of the game. for afl players this is unforgivable.
i still dont see much difference between ellis and grigg. ellis has more skill.

ellis si supposed to be one of our better players yet we all lament the lack of chase the lack of tackling  the lack footy smarts with so many poor decisions. these things are basics  and ellis is poor in them so if hes supposed to be one of our better players what does it say for the rest of em.

i knoiw one thing if ellis played at fremantle he would not get a game. at fremantle lyon sets the bar in all areas, if you dont meet the standard in any are of your role you dont play.

i would realy like to know what the expectations are at richmond in this regard. and i would like to know what we do to address them. seems to me every yr the same  blokes run around making the same old mistakes with no improvement in basic deficiencies.

jury is out on ellis but yet your happy with the likes of A Edwards occupying a spot on the list because he fills some role

wake up and smell the coffee mate, Ellis will be a good player for our club. He has played 50 games and would take him in a heartbeat over Conca or most other names you throw up on our current list as would most other clubs.

Just on Fremantle. Dawson is averaging 1 tackle a game. Obviously tackling is an area of Lyon's game plan then.
sheesh for someone who portrays himself as a knowledgable footy person i dont know if ive ever seen such tunnel vision.
smelling coffee or roses has nothing to do with it. applying some plain old common sense does. seems this comodity is greatly lacking around here at times.
zac dawson gets a game every week for one simple reason. as unfashionable as he looks he does the job asked of him week in week out and that is stop a tall opponent.

dont think ellis has been written off by too many. but people have every right to expect players to be reasonably well rounded and perform well, basics of the game. if they dont or until they do  id say criticism is warranted.
 are you suggesting ellis does not deserve criticism, or doesnt have areas he must significantly improve to become a well rounded player. if so that would be unbelievable. if not what are you carrying on about.

on edwards when we actually discover a player capable of performing the role edwards does yet alone play anywhere close to afl standard then for sure play em. outside of riewoldt  i would still argue edwards is the second best fwd option we have, that must tell you something about how poorly i rate the rest of our permanent fwds. if we had a jack gunston type  for sure get em in and play em trouble is we dont.
id say angus instead of issuing advice out to others you take some of your own advice get a reality check and get your head out of that dark tunnell.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #893 on: June 30, 2014, 02:09:01 PM »

ellis is another lacking in basic areas of the game. for afl players this is unforgivable.

ellis si supposed to be one of our better players yet we all lament the lack of chase the lack of tackling  the lack footy smarts with so many poor decisions. these things are basics  and ellis is poor in them so if hes supposed to be one of our better players what does it say for the rest of em.

i knoiw one thing if ellis played at fremantle he would not get a game. at fremantle lyon sets the bar in all areas, if you dont meet the standard in any are of your role you dont play.

i would realy like to know what the expectations are at richmond in this regard. and i would like to know what we do to address them. seems to me every yr the same  blokes run around making the same old mistakes with no improvement in basic deficiencies.

jury is out on ellis but yet your happy with the likes of A Edwards occupying a spot on the list because he fills some role

wake up and smell the coffee mate, Ellis will be a good player for our club. He has played 50 games and would take him in a heartbeat over Conca or most other names you throw up on our current list as would most other clubs.

Just on Fremantle. Dawson is averaging 1 tackle a game. Obviously tackling is an area of Lyon's game plan then.
sheesh for someone who portrays himself as a knowledgable footy person i dont know if ive ever seen such tunnel vision.
smelling coffee or roses has nothing to do with it. applying some plain old common sense does. seems this comodity is greatly lacking around here at times.
zac dawson gets a game every week for one simple reason. as unfashionable as he looks he does the job asked of him week in week out and that is stop a tall opponent.

dont think ellis has been written off by too many. but people have every right to expect players to be reasonably well rounded and perform well, basics of the game. if they dont or until they do  id say criticism is warranted.
 are you suggesting ellis does not deserve criticism, or doesnt have areas he must significantly improve to become a well rounded player. if so that would be unbelievable. if not what are you carrying on about.

on edwards when we actually discover a player capable of performing the role edwards does yet alone play anywhere close to afl standard then for sure play em. outside of riewoldt  i would still argue edwards is the second best fwd option we have, that must tell you something about how poorly i rate the rest of our permanent fwds. if we had a jack gunston type  for sure get em in and play em trouble is we dont.
id say angus instead of issuing advice out to others you take some of your own advice get a reality check and get your head out of that dark tunnell.

ooh dear. I would think most people on here don't think A Edwards is the best option we have at the minute.

He is 30 years old what good is he ahead of say an Elton or Mcbean. Il tell you something mate i know i would rather see Elton or Mcbean given a go ahead of that bloke any day of the week, now or 12 months ago when we recruited him. In fact i would rather Pettifer ahead of him if you want the truth.
Not that he is a terrible footballer but having him on our list serves no purpose whatsoever. He was simply a wrong selection because once again the RFC over analysed the list and thought we were headed for premiership glory. Some may argue that Mcbean wasn't ready last year but most people said that about Joe D. So what, give them games and see what they have to offer. Edwards, Newman and those types are not the future so get rid of them.

Griffiths ahead of A Edwards, you cant be serious. Griffiths is our future be it on the field to see what his got, or at the trade table and Edwards is no more than a used condom that no one wants. Same goes for Chris Knights. We couldn't develop Matty White then went ahead let him walk and then recruited Knights from ADL with virtually the same money. A slow version of Shaun Higgins. Incredible!

As for Ellis what more do you want from a 50 gamer. He has areas he needs to work on(show me where i said he doesn't) but what i see each week when i go the footy is a good young player who will become one of our best players. He never stops running and in fact i would say outside the top echelon he is our next best. Look at Cotch with his 15 metre kicks and tell me what's his decision making like then.

Facts are the list is shot and we are mentally shot as an organisation and have no answers to the cancer that has riddled the club for 30 years.

Fix the culture, get rid of these second rate coaches and replace them with ruthless competitors (i.e Balme, Ling ), and we may start to rid the club of the disease.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #894 on: June 30, 2014, 02:22:31 PM »

O'Hanlon is our Jack Gunston type. Give him a sustained go in the team. His body is ready.  He just needs someone to show some confidence in him.

If we had drafted Jack Gunston,  I'm sure that he would be wallowing in the the magoos right now too!

Edited to correct quote
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:25:58 PM by WilliamPowell »
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

tony_montana

« Reply #895 on: June 30, 2014, 08:06:16 PM »

O'Hanlon is our Jack Gunston type. Give him a sustained go in the team. His body is ready.  He just needs someone to show some confidence in him.

If we had drafted Jack Gunston,  I'm sure that he would be wallowing in the the magoos right now too!

Edited to correct quote

Not even close that comparison - but I do agree we need to give O'Hanlon a run - personally I reckon he's not good enough for senior AFL football but nevertheless Id love the club to give him 4-5 games to see what hes got

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #896 on: June 30, 2014, 08:09:48 PM »
Helbig?
Donuts?
Lennon?
McBean?

How do you know. What you got if you don't have a look. Or let's go with McGaune a edwards king Newman Thomas  white and go for 9th

the claw

« Reply #897 on: June 30, 2014, 08:31:13 PM »
i can live with giving ohanlon a game in front of a edwards.  similar type and your right its time to see if this lad can play or not.
ohanlon is the only similar type to edwards that we have unless we play ricky petterd  in his original role as a fwd.

im all fro getting games into elton and even bringing griffiths back for a final shot at saving his career even though i think hes not good enough.
the difference between me and others is how i rate edwards as far as type goes.
most on here compare him to kpps where as i think of him as a medium sized player who can take a mark and  play tall. when i said i think hes the second best performed fwd we have i meant it.
do i think edwrds a part of the future hell no. do i think all clubs have a need to play some mature bit players of course.and finally i do think edwards an astute choice almost as an afterthought.  of course.why because he was the only medium sized fwd we have had who has been capable of making some sort of contribution. unlike angus i have no problem with taking short term fixes just as long as we take our share of kids as well.aron edwards actually met a need. he cost zilch, hes not on big money and hes one of only two of his type on the list. he is easily a better performed player than ohanlon who has done absolutely nothing to date to warrant a game. the real need is is to go out and recruit a player or two of this type.

ive basically written vickery off. i am almost to the point where i believe griffiths has no future just not good enough, i dont place em in the same type of player category as edwards.  so i dont agree with dropping edwards for elton or mcbean different type of player.   i would agree with dropping vickery for one of them or playing them in front of griffiths..as i said i would be happy with where we are at giving ohanlon a game in front of edwrds. who knows eh.
. seems to me people think it better to play a 18 - 24yo dud in front of a better performed  a 30 yr old who at least gives something.

for the last 30 yrs ive seen us and our supporters lurch from play the kids and nothing but kids,  to bloody hell we need to play experienced players while what kids we have develop.
im sick to death of it. if we want to learn from the better sides they find a good balance between the two as we must.  it is folly to totally ignore what good mature players can bring to our club.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #898 on: June 30, 2014, 09:14:15 PM »
Another respectable outing by Ellis and even took a nice grab running back

Have a lot of time for this bloke. Perhaps you need to widen your eyes WP.

Every club needs a Heath Shaw defender and he will be ours

Yep they do but unlike Ellis he actually defends and doesn't shirk it

Think Grigg comparison to Ellis isn't fair considering Grigg actually averages more tackles, contested possessions, clearances and, believe it or not, contested marks. Ellis is the better player but he is even more outside than Grigg the squib is.

Same goes for Chris Knights. We couldn't develop Matty White then went ahead let him walk and then recruited Knights from ADL with virtually the same money. A slow version of Shaun Higgins. Incredible!

We had Knights before we let White go  :wallywink

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #899 on: June 30, 2014, 09:52:30 PM »
Fair enough Claw you made some valid points. I think this whole forum is unanimous that we would rather youth ahead of these same old same faces. It's a shame the club just can't see it.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.