Author Topic: Brandon Ellis to Gold Coast / Richmond receive pick 39 as compo [merged]  (Read 338525 times)

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Brandon Ellis to leave as a free agent to the Gold Coast [merged]
« Reply #2115 on: October 04, 2019, 10:04:59 AM »
So here is the wash up of free agency for Richmond and Gold Coast over 2018 and 2019

Gold Coast have received - Izak Rankine and Ellis without losing any draft picks but lost Lynch = Out Lynch for In Rankine and Ellis

Richmond - Got Lynch but lost Conca will get a pick around #20 this year (assuming we do not pick up any free agents) = Out Conca for In Lynch and pick #20ish

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #2116 on: October 04, 2019, 12:37:56 PM »

Free agency is about players going where they want for the conditions they want.

Gaining + losing compensation restricts any club's ability to pursue free agents. For example if we get pick 20 for Ellis and bring in a FA then we will likely lose or at least downgrade that pick 20, so effectively we have to let him walk and take the pick.

It's terrible for the weaker clubs but the compensation doesn't quite mitigate that and I don't like the undisclosed formula the AFL allegedly has.

I think a great equalisation idea would be to allow weaker teams a higher TPP limit for the next year, which tapers off progressively.
For example if you finish 18th you could have an additional $1million TPP the following year, which tapers down the higher you finish up the ladder, maybe $800k for 17th, $600k for 16th, $400k for 15th or whatever.

This would allow the weaker clubs to attract established players with $$$ while they rebuild via the draft etc.

The mechanisms for this scenario already occurs where clubs have the opportunity to bank salary cap savings.

The key issue is the compromise after compromise in the system where the AFL have an ad hoc adjustment approach and react to every scream of anomaly from the muppets in the media.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2117 on: October 04, 2019, 12:44:55 PM »
Barrett is still going on about the compo pick in his 'Sliding Doors' column today.

IF ... the AFL decides to give you end-of-first-round draft compensation for losing Ellis ...

THEN ... it is simply wrong. Obviously, that's not your fault nor your problem. But I'm predicting the magic 11 herbs and spices, along with the sauces and jus and vegetable stocks and borage blossoms which the AFL magically applies to every free agent compensation "formula" decision will deem that you will only get a second-round pick. And even that's too high.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-04/sliding-doors-pre-trade-period

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #2118 on: October 04, 2019, 03:41:55 PM »
Geez Geez

How is he not worth a second rounder in compo? What is he advocating here. What sort of formula deems a two time premiership player at age 26, having played 170 odd games, is worth a 3rd or worst? 23 games in his most recent season + 11th in the B&F. 11th best player in a premiership year.

What is this guy smoking. Why am I even concerned with this gerbil thinks

Give us 2 first rounder for Brave Brando
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Gold Coast has officially made an offer to RFA Brandon Ellis (Trade radio)
« Reply #2119 on: October 04, 2019, 04:17:29 PM »
OFFICIAL: Gold Coast has officially made an offer to restricted free agent Brandon Ellis

The Tigers now have three days to decide whether to match that offer.

https://twitter.com/traderadio

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2120 on: October 04, 2019, 06:35:49 PM »
The AFL should never had intoduced compo picks when tey bought in Free Agency.

Free Agency in every other sport in the world is just that Free, you get nothing when a player leaves

But they did introduce it, so it is what it is. We get compo get over it Bin Boy
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2121 on: October 04, 2019, 07:21:12 PM »
"Based on what the Suns are offering Ellis, I can't see anyway the Tigers won't get an end of first round compensation pick" - Mitch Cleary

https://twitter.com/traderadio/

Online Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #2122 on: October 05, 2019, 03:32:05 PM »
Reports getting about the compensation is end of second round pick 39!!
The whole thing is a sham :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Brandon Ellis to Gold Coast / Richmond receive pick 39 as compo [merged]
« Reply #2123 on: October 05, 2019, 04:00:55 PM »
Richmond have elected not to match the offer and Brandon Ellis is now able to join the Gold Coast SUNS immediately.

Richmond to receive a Second Round compensation selection, currently selection 39.

https://twitter.com/AFL_House/status/1180350692814254080

:thumbsdown

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2124 on: October 05, 2019, 04:05:10 PM »
The AFL making things up on the run  ::).

Scott Lycett
5 year deal
600k per year
Comp: End of 1st round

Brandon Ellis
5 year deal
600k per year
Comp: 2nd round [ed. More like end of 2nd round]

https://twitter.com/OldSchoolPics_/status/1180354120600866816

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2125 on: October 05, 2019, 04:16:04 PM »
Why didn't we match them and force a trade

In a crap draft we essentially got nothing for him let's be honest

That's a load of poo

Almost the Same compensation  as the crows Ellis-Y hahaha

Gale should ask for a please explain to these cheats

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #2126 on: October 05, 2019, 04:46:46 PM »
Why didn't we match them and force a trade

In a crap draft we essentially got nothing for him let's be honest

That's a load of poo

Almost the Same compensation  as the crows Ellis-Y hahaha

Gale should ask for a please explain to these cheats
It has been mentioned a number of times in this thread.

He would never leave if we matched the offer.

We cannot offer what they are.

AFL screwed us with the compensation.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2127 on: October 05, 2019, 04:51:41 PM »
Trade deals: Ellis a Sun, compo pick in

Herald Sun
5 Oct 2019

The AFL free agency period is officially open, with the trade window to kick off on Monday.

But the first deal of the 2019 exchange period has been completed, with Richmond’s restricted free agent Brandon Ellis officially joining the Gold Coast Suns.

But the big surprise is the compensation pick Richmond will receive, with the AFL ruling the AFL premier will receive an end-of-second round pick - currently selection 39.

As expected, the Tigers did not match the Suns’ lucrative, multi-year deal, meaning Ellis is now a Sun.

Many believed, based on recent history, that the Tigers would earn an end-of-first round pick.

“I’m very excited to be on board. I’ve been impressed by the club and its people, there’s great facilities and really looking forward to the journey on the Coast,” Ellis said.

“I’ve been really lucky to play in two flags in the last three years, so hopefully I can bring some of that knowledge up here and help out this group. There is so much talent and I think it could be exciting times ahead.”

“I played with Anthony Miles for three or four years at the Tigers, I’m good mates with him, and had a few years with Corey (Ellis) so it makes it a bit easier to break the ice having those two boys up here.

“I’ve known Secco (Alex Sexton) for a while as well, so he’s been awesome the past few days,” Ellis said.

List manager Craig Cameron said the Suns were thrilled to secure Ellis.

“Brandon has proven his ability at AFL level over the past eight seasons and we’re excited by the opportunity to add a duel premiership player to our midfield group,” Cameron said.

“In line with our strategy we’re keen to target players who will complement our young group and are committed to help drive our club forward, Brandon fits that perfectly.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/every-completed-afl-trade-and-free-agency-deal-of-the-2019-player-exchange-period/news-story/1fb8f2254d616de8b40684477dd011e3

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #2128 on: October 05, 2019, 05:23:58 PM »
Absolute bare faced corruption on the back of an orchestrated media campaign led by AFL employee Barrett the Parrot... >:(
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #2129 on: October 05, 2019, 05:27:59 PM »
Ellis-Yeoman compo apparently only worth 8 picks less than Ellis compo...yeah righteo...must be for the extra surname... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.