Author Topic: Todd Elton  (Read 76487 times)

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Re: Todd Elton
« Reply #480 on: April 28, 2017, 06:13:15 PM »
Also, I've seen some posters say he has had good VFL form (e.g. WP said "he is one of those blokes who is betwixt and between = above VFL level but not up to AFL level"). When the stuff did he consistently play good VFL football to warrant the opinion he is "above VFL level". I can hardly remember one good game let alone a string of good games. That is the main reason a lot of us don't rate him, it's not a case of writing him off after "7 games" but actually writing him off after only a few good VFL games after 6 years of VFL and AFL footy.

Agree with this.

Strange comment from WP. Never seen him look above VFL.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #481 on: April 28, 2017, 06:15:50 PM »
...never seen him look up to VFL, let alone above it....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #482 on: April 28, 2017, 09:31:11 PM »
Todd keeps his place in the side for another week.
Is held in really high regard inside the club apparently.  :lol

On a serious note, I'm wrapt for him and I actually think he is competing really well. There was a few times the other night, and some seem to forget it was a wet slippery night, that instead of trying to take mark of the year and put his name up in lights, he tapped the footy front and square for our little guys.

I must admit I do have a soft spot for him as I think he works hard and plays for the team ahead of his own personal gain. Playing a roll. That is something Griff can learn from him.

I also find it annoying that people can write him off after so few games. I'm hoping for us and even as importantly himself, he gets some more confidence at this level and feels he belongs and starts getting a few more touches as that's what most on here judge most players by.
I can't see what you see BT. Ive watched him closely at vfl level when I have seen the odd game and he just "struggles" to mark the footy or impose himself on a game. Hopeless actually. Even without pressure he'll drop the footy.

From all reports at vfl level the most common description of his game is "Elton Struggled".
Besides the one miracle contested grab last week what else has he done? To me he just looks lost and miles off the pace.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #483 on: April 28, 2017, 09:38:34 PM »
Goodbye Yellow brick road.
Where the dogs of society howl
You can't plant me in your penthouse
I'm going back to my plough!

Taupin is such a prophetic lyricist  :snidegrin
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #484 on: April 28, 2017, 10:20:52 PM »
Career over. 6 wasted years. Crab.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #485 on: April 29, 2017, 01:38:16 AM »
This was written just before Elton was dropped this week.

-----------------------------------------------

Richmond 2017 Todd Elton’s story of persistence

Al Paton,
Herald Sun
28 April 2017 3:40pm

HE’S almost the accidental AFL player.

There isn’t much in his resume that stamps Todd Elton as a linchpin for Richmond’s 5-0 start, but the one-time VFL battler is on the ride of his life. And he seems to be enjoying every minute.

Elton has been on the Tigers’ list for six years and played seven matches; his three this year is the most he has played in a single season.

He is rated “poor” in just about every statistical category. Finding a photo of him for this article was a challenge and most footy fans wouldn’t recognise him if he sat next to them on the No. 70 tram; his Instagram following (4114) is dwarfed by teammates Dustin Martin (116,000) and Trent Cotchin (68,000).

But if there’s one quality Elton has, it’s persistence.

He was recruited from the Dandenong Stingrays with pick 26 in the 2011 draft and has played 74 VFL games since, averaging fewer than 10 disposals per game playing in defence, up forward and in the ruck. As the Tigers turned over their list, each year Elton survived.

In his three matches this year Elton has had nine, 13 and seven disposals, taken seven marks and kicked two behinds.

But he keeps presenting. On Monday night against Melbourne as players tired and the Tigers clawed to a famous win, Elton made a contest. Then another.

He took a strong mark from a get-out kick in defence as the clock ticked down in the last quarter and saw a few more over the boundary line, each time jogging back to his position at centre half-forward to do it all again.

With Ben Griffiths out indefinitely with concussion issues and Mabior Chol still developing, he might have to make a lot more of those contests this season.

TODD ELTON 2017    AVE    RATING
SuperCoach points    40    POOR
Disposals    9.7    POOR
Marks    2.3    POOR
Marks inside 50    0.7    POOR
Goals    0.0    POOR
Score involvements    2.7    POOR
Forward half pressure points    17.1    AVERAGE

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick said Elton, who turns 24 on Saturday, had “been OK” and was playing his role.

“He got his hands to a lot of balls but just couldn’t quite manage to take those marks,” Hardwick said on Friday.

“But he’s providing a contest for us, which is really important. We’re not after him to take 12 contested marks and kick five goals, we’re just after a contest down the line and to provide some second-tier ruck support — which he’s been doing.

“He’s incredibly athletic and has got some tricks.”

On Sunday he returns to the city where he made his AFL debut in 2012 after he was a surprise inclusion against the Crows.

He had to wait three years to play his second game, and another two years on he is still going.

If the Tigers continue the wonderful ride that is their 2017 season, he might not be unknown for much longer.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmonds-todd-elton-to-play-eighth-game-in-six-years-against-adelaide/news-story/75cac37b65d815aa1164f4cbb9e1fdec

Ruanaidh

« Reply #486 on: April 29, 2017, 06:56:51 AM »
I'm with BT....Well done Todd, keep up the good work. His pack spoiling efforts were great in the last half against Melbourne and that mark was crucial.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #487 on: April 29, 2017, 08:17:11 AM »
I have never claim him to be our next CHF, but like it says in the artical, he has a go.

In his 3 games this year I have watched him closely and I'll admit he should be getting a few more touches, taking a few extra marks and even kicking a goal or 2 but imo he has played a roll for us helping out Nank in the ruck and most importantly giving us a target to kick to coming out of defence and for that kick into our forwardline 10 to 20 meters out from goal for our small to be given a chance to do their thing.

I suppose when you are 5 and zip, he must be given some credit for that.

Anyway I still think we will beat the Crows on Sunday afternoon but I just hope that someone is willing to that person that stands under those kicks I mentioned.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #488 on: April 29, 2017, 08:17:32 AM »
I'm with BT....Well done Todd, keep up the good work. His pack spoiling efforts were great in the last half against Melbourne and that mark was crucial.
:thumbsup

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #489 on: April 29, 2017, 12:15:28 PM »
We have no real option but to play him ,the other options are not there as Nank needs a chop out from time to time
If he competes and brings the ball to the ground that's about as good as it gets for me. We need to recruit a potential and very good key position forward next year

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #490 on: April 29, 2017, 12:24:04 PM »
I'd like us to give Soldo a go.

Why?

Because he has shown form in the seconds. I know we have to elevate him, but he is actually a ruckman who can kick a goal. Todd is not a ruckman and still can't kick a goal.

Ultimately I prefer Chol to both but he isn't quite ready IMHO. Next year will be his year to shine as long as he continues to improve.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #491 on: April 29, 2017, 01:33:47 PM »
Chol just needs to develop a decent work rate. Too often he just doesn't put the effort in when tired

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #492 on: April 29, 2017, 08:21:18 PM »
I have never claim him to be our next CHF, but like it says in the artical, he has a go.

In his 3 games this year I have watched him closely and I'll admit he should be getting a few more touches, taking a few extra marks and even kicking a goal or 2 but imo he has played a roll for us helping out Nank in the ruck and most importantly giving us a target to kick to coming out of defence and for that kick into our forwardline 10 to 20 meters out from goal for our small to be given a chance to do their thing.

I suppose when you are 5 and zip, he must be given some credit for that.

Anyway I still think we will beat the Crows on Sunday afternoon but I just hope that someone is willing to that person that stands under those kicks I mentioned.

Agreed
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:51:04 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #493 on: April 29, 2017, 08:56:30 PM »
I'd like us to give Soldo a go.

Why?

Because he has shown form in the seconds. I know we have to elevate him, but he is actually a ruckman who can kick a goal. Todd is not a ruckman and still can't kick a goal.

Ultimately I prefer Chol to both but he isn't quite ready IMHO. Next year will be his year to shine as long as he continues to improve.
He can also do one thing both Hampson and Elton can't do...........

.....Mark the footy!
The club that keeps giving.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #494 on: April 29, 2017, 11:58:18 PM »
It shows our lack of depth in tall forwards that Elton, despite what little he has done at AFL level, is still ahead of our talls playing in our VFL side. Only Griffiths would be ahead of him if not concussed which is hardly an endorsement as Griff's good games are as rare as hen's teeth as well.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd