Author Topic: Brett O'Hanlon [merged]  (Read 51501 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Brett O'Hanlon [merged]
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 10:37:19 AM »
Is McCarthy worth more than a rookie wage at the moment? He has done little to fill me will hope that he will become a star. Collingwood are the most capable identifers and developers of talent in the country yet they delisted him. He may be a servicable depth player but paying him overs in fear of losing his to another club may be a little premature. $200 grand is still under the average but I would not feel comfortable if his asking price started pushing into the 'good' player range when he has not earned it to date. :-\

Stripes you are making the assumption he was de-listed because of talent or lack there of. Not sure this exactly the case here

Every team had to cut 3 players at a minimum, some had to cut more because salary cap pressures.

Pies were one of those teams. Only reason Mcaffer got another contract is because Davis got the sulks up because he wanted more $$$ and walked. The Pies always said that either McCarthy or Mccaffer had to go they could keep both so I am not sure it's all about talent in this case

Also if he puts an price on his head all he is really doing is setting the terms to ensure he gets to the club of his choice. If say he says 2 year deal for $320k in total he can then he can say year one he wants $210k and in year 2 he takes $110k - still paying below the odds but keeps Port away

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 10:41:09 AM »
Getting McCarthy wont be to hard. We can just get him to state a figure they wont match. Even front loading a 2 year deal would make it hard for Port.

obviously anything over $200k a season would make it hard for Port  ;D
$200k and one cent rounded down  ;D

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 01:23:46 PM »
I hear what you are saying WP but I haven't seen anything from his form to warrant us being devistated if we miss out on him. Perhaps I just haven't seen enough of him full stop. I will be more than happy to get him if he comes cheap. My fear is that he won't and its then I start to see a problem. Front ending his contract doesn't always work unless Port is hamstrung with their Salary Cap next year. Surely with Cornes and Brogan gone that would leave more financial flexibility at the club.

Interesting how it all works  ;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 01:57:42 PM »
I hear what you are saying WP but I haven't seen anything from his form to warrant us being devistated if we miss out on him. Perhaps I just haven't seen enough of him full stop. I will be more than happy to get him if he comes cheap. My fear is that he won't and its then I start to see a problem. Front ending his contract doesn't always work unless Port is hamstrung with their Salary Cap next year. Surely with Cornes and Brogan gone that would leave more financial flexibility at the club.

Interesting how it all works  ;D

To be honest Stripes I'm not sold on McCarthy either

But I'd rather take him than not and then we end making a stupid call with our selection  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 05:20:12 PM »
Does anyone on this forum have any idea about whether this fella can play or not?

dwaino

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
Does anyone on this forum have any idea about whether this fella can play or not?

Who? What?

..11  :huh

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 06:29:24 PM »

No......

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 07:24:24 PM »

Come again?

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 08:00:35 PM »
 :P

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 06:51:28 AM »
Agree with Stripes.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 11:26:59 AM »
I agree with Dookie.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 12:55:46 PM »
Agree with Willy.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 01:22:12 PM »
Agree with Donuts

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 01:32:40 PM »
Agree with Gary Busey.

too far?

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 10:20:47 PM »
Is McCarthy worth more than a rookie wage at the moment? He has done little to fill me will hope that he will become a star. Collingwood are the most capable identifers and developers of talent in the country yet they delisted him. He may be a servicable depth player but paying him overs in fear of losing his to another club may be a little premature. $200 grand is still under the average but I would not feel comfortable if his asking price started pushing into the 'good' player range when he has not earned it to date. :-\

I agree stripes, I wouldnt be paying silly money, Im ok with recruiting him but he is speculative in my mind...i would just as prefer Maric tbh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled