Author Topic: Brett O'Hanlon [merged]  (Read 51510 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Brett O'Hanlon [merged]
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2011, 03:30:52 PM »
Urquhart has gained permission to train now with Port. So the media reports appear on the money about him heading to Port in the PSD leaving McCarthy to slip through to us.

AFL_PKeane twitter:
"Permission to train.
Crows; Josh Gregg (N Adelaide), Ed Smart (Norwood).
Demons; Shannon Burnett (S Fremantle).
Power; Gavin Urquhart (Nth Melb)"

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2011, 04:26:57 PM »
What a bloody stupid wank permission to train is.

It's footy training not a bloody CIA operation.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2011, 09:52:22 PM »
What a bloody stupid wank permission to train is.

It's footy training not a bloody CIA operation.

do you agree with anything br, you wouldnt be a pom by any chance :lol
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2011, 11:46:11 PM »
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick last week confirmed the Tigers will take the ex-Magpie, who has managed 18 AFL matches in four seasons.

"We've committed to John at this stage, but we're not quite sure what Port Adelaide are doing," Hardwick said.

"He's a guy who can give us great flexibility - he can play forward, midfield and a little bit down back.

"He probably didn't get the opportunities at Collingwood because of their depth. But he can play the game."

I'm not necessarily a fan of this choice, and while I like Dimma and what he's doing, every coach talks up their new players.  I'm not putting much weight into this comment.

But to throw a grenade into this conversation, why aren't we looking at Leon Davis?  PSD draft picks that are any good from "unknown" or fringe players like McCarthy are pretty rare.  Leon, if he wanted to play for Richmond, would give us two years of good play.  McCarthy might give us 5-10 years but probably won't, odds on he will be gone after 2 years too.  I know its Cigar Butt recruiting and we are developing a young list etc etc. 

None the less footy is about playing the odds and the recruiters ought to consider this.
I'm not decided on this one myself and I don't know if Leon would want to play at the Tiges, but clearly he is the better odds option than McCarthy. 

All Australian players don't pop up in the PSD that often.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2011, 07:08:39 AM »

I'm not necessarily a fan of this choice, and while I like Dimma and what he's doing, every coach talks up their new players.  I'm not putting much weight into this comment.

But to throw a grenade into this conversation, why aren't we looking at Leon Davis?   PSD draft picks that are any good from "unknown" or fringe players like McCarthy are pretty rare.  Leon, if he wanted to play for Richmond, would give us two years of good play.  McCarthy might give us 5-10 years but probably won't, odds on he will be gone after 2 years too.  I know its Cigar Butt recruiting and we are developing a young list etc etc. 

None the less footy is about playing the odds and the recruiters ought to consider this.
I'm not decided on this one myself and I don't know if Leon would want to play at the Tiges, but clearly he is the better odds option than McCarthy. 

All Australian players don't pop up in the PSD that often.

Cost
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2011, 07:30:28 AM »
Cost doesn't have anything to do with it. If we were interested in him then we'd get him. Davis is 30 odd and we don't exactly lack half back flankers. he'd be good for a year or two but we're developing our own pretty well these days :thumbsup

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2011, 09:16:07 AM »
"Cost" as in saving salary cap room for free agency I would think.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2011, 10:42:23 AM »
We are going to have plenty of room once a few dud players contracts run out at the end of next year :thumbsup

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2011, 11:59:56 AM »
We are going to have plenty of room once a few dud players contracts run out at the end of next year :thumbsup

I'm with Davey I dont think money comes into it.  If anything having a better player for two years might push us into finals which would pay for itself.

As I said its Cigar Butt recruiting but the PSD is notorious for not getting a good result unless you have a targeted existing player, David Cloke, Bachar Houli, Darren Gaspar.  Its rare to get a Chris Bond, someone who another club has discarded.

More than likely McCarthy is going to be a failure, I don't know the guy, I don't know how good he is but he is a discard and I have never heard of him influencing games in the past.  Usually this means he can't influence games, which could be for many reasons, physical, mental, injury who knows.  He will probably fail, Davis would be good, for a limited time.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2011, 01:50:08 PM »
If we pick up Davis can we pick up Fev as well, what a potent forward line.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2011, 03:54:21 PM »

I dont think "cost" comes into to it regarding Davis, simply at 30 he is too old

In the 3 years of Dimma we haven't recruited anyone over 28  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2011, 04:10:38 PM »

I dont think "cost" comes into to it regarding Davis, simply at 30 he is too old

In the 3 years of Dimma we haven't recruited anyone over 28  ;D

Fully agree WP.  I wasn't saying cost was the reason for not picking him up, just referring to '65s post in that it would be the cost against our salary cap rather than the cost itself.  I am not a fan of taking Davis at all.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2011, 11:14:34 PM »
Nothing Earth-shattering but here is Emma Quayle's PSD prediction:

GWS - pass.
GC - Aaron Hall.
PA - Gavin Urquhart/Darren Pfeiffer.
Rich - John McCarthy.
Freo - Zac Dawson.
Dogs - Fletcher Roberts

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2011, 11:16:15 PM »

Like the muppet in your avatar  :lol

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2011, 11:32:02 PM »

Like the muppet in your avatar  :lol

:lol :rollin
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"