Author Topic: Wingmen for 2012  (Read 5113 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Wingmen for 2012
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 05:32:17 PM »
Was told the other day that Newy was most likely moving to a wing in 2012. I personally think that's a great decision. He is quick, good overhead, wins contested footy and is a fantastic kick which our young forwards will love. May need to work on his fitness a little and get a different mind set in being a little more attacking but i think he will add something pretty special there.
Our wingmen of late have been those bits and pieces types in White, Edwards and Helbig but personally i think it is a really important attacking position that we haven't really utilized for a long time (except the Richo man a few years back)
How reliable?  Someone from the club? :)
Not at the club anymore, but still speaks to some players.  :thumbsup

Your source is Jackstar?

:lol

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 05:35:23 PM »
Another position i think we need to try someone/something different in is that run-with midfield roll. Not a tagger like a few years back but today's footy has changed and that player also needs to be able to hurt the opposition the other way. That's why i think Jackson is a dead man walking unless he can play another roll.
That run-with roll, the player has to have pace, good endurance, be hard at it and want the contest, be a good tackler, be selfless but most importantly needs to be able to still get his own footy and be able to use it.
Three players IMO should be given ago at it over the pre season- Matt White, Nathan Foley and Brad Helbig.
Matt White- needs to find a roll in the side because at the moment he is just a top up player. And if he cannot, he will find himself looking for a new gig in 2013.
Nathan Foley- Think the attacking midfield roll has past him by a little. Still has some pretty handy qualities but with the likes of Cotch, Martin and Lids being our main mids with Conca, Ellis and even Arnot coming through the smart long term decision would be to lock himself into this position.
Brad Helbig- IMO would make a great run-with mid. Is as hard as a cats head, works hard and is young and looks to have a good head on his shoulders. Will need to be able to get some of his own footy but would be worth a chance. And IMO i cannot see any other roll for him in the side. Just doesen't have enough tricks.
What do you guys think?

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 05:36:55 PM »
Was told the other day that Newy was most likely moving to a wing in 2012. I personally think that's a great decision. He is quick, good overhead, wins contested footy and is a fantastic kick which our young forwards will love. May need to work on his fitness a little and get a different mind set in being a little more attacking but i think he will add something pretty special there.
Our wingmen of late have been those bits and pieces types in White, Edwards and Helbig but personally i think it is a really important attacking position that we haven't really utilized for a long time (except the Richo man a few years back)

Your source is Jackstar?

:lol
No..... :cheers

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 05:41:07 PM »
pretty sure matty white was playing that role early season before he got injured and dimma was happy with the jobs he did.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 08:51:53 PM »

Nothing like a good ...um ......er.... source  :rollin :rollin :rollin

:yep

:eyebrow

:outtahere :outtahere :outtahere :outtahere

;D ;D

;) ;) ;)

:thumbsup :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 08:05:21 AM »
Another position i think we need to try someone/something different in is that run-with midfield roll. Not a tagger like a few years back but today's footy has changed and that player also needs to be able to hurt the opposition the other way. That's why i think Jackson is a dead man walking unless he can play another roll.
That run-with roll, the player has to have pace, good endurance, be hard at it and want the contest, be a good tackler, be selfless but most importantly needs to be able to still get his own footy and be able to use it.
Three players IMO should be given ago at it over the pre season- Matt White, Nathan Foley and Brad Helbig.
Matt White- needs to find a roll in the side because at the moment he is just a top up player. And if he cannot, he will find himself looking for a new gig in 2013.
Nathan Foley- Think the attacking midfield roll has past him by a little. Still has some pretty handy qualities but with the likes of Cotch, Martin and Lids being our main mids with Conca, Ellis and even Arnot coming through the smart long term decision would be to lock himself into this position.
Brad Helbig- IMO would make a great run-with mid. Is as hard as a cats head, works hard and is young and looks to have a good head on his shoulders. Will need to be able to get some of his own footy but would be worth a chance. And IMO i cannot see any other roll for him in the side. Just doesen't have enough tricks.
What do you guys think?
good call bt  i'm not to sure about Hellboy having no tricks  he sure is hard at it  a good tackler and can kick a good goal as well I see he has bulked up some more  so think he will rotate through that midfield/defensive forward role
on a bye note it sure is great to see so much competition for a starting 22 spot no one gets a free ticket in 2012
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline tigtuff12

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 09:12:09 AM »
...could see some logic in this...from what i gather the club is still keen to get games into guys in positions that they think will help us win a flag - would therefore make sense that they'd be keen to develop all of the young half backs & get some continuity with the Deas, Bachelors, Ellis, Houlis etc....also HBF seems to be the spot we utilise for developing our onballers (re Conca etc) - play a few of the kids there & you can always rotate Lids and/or Newy back as required...also Newy could be damaging kicking to Jack, TV etc with his left foot & has been known to kick a goal or two himself when drifting forward...
...the fighting fury...

tony_montana

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 10:49:53 PM »
pretty sure matty white was playing that role early season before he got injured and dimma was happy with the jobs he did.

yep defensive fwd and played it very well, destroyed Yarran and kept him to 3 touches from memory and did some more good jobs before getting injured. Every player needs a defined role that suits there strengths and keeps them away from getting their weaknesses exposed consistently. Matty White will never be a great user of the ball  or have great skills, his assets are his pace, tenacity and passion, using them to shutdown the yarran, heath shaw types is an important role. Question is can we have 2 of these types in the same team (White/Kingy)?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 11:04:25 PM »
Ok, best wing set up in history will be Connors (WP....WP...hehe) on one side and Edwards on the other.... :lol
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 11:07:08 PM »
Ok, best wing set up in history will be Connors (WP....WP...hehe) on one side and Edwards on the other.... :lol

Lord give me strength  :laugh:

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2011, 11:18:41 PM »
i know you taking the pee wat, but anyway..

wingmen need to be a good kick.

Edwards does his best work in close where he handballs out rather than kicking.

Conners on the other hand would make a good wingman, if he ever learns to settle when he has time rather than blazing away blinded by adrenalin. he is a good kick and strong overhead, an attribute at least one of your wingman needs to have,  but i'd be surprised if we see him playing for richmond ever again, in the season proper anyway.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 11:41:38 PM »
i know you taking the pee wat, but anyway..

wingmen need to be a good kick.

Edwards does his best work in close where he handballs out rather than kicking.

Conners on the other hand would make a good wingman, if he ever learns to settle when he has time rather than blazing away blinded by adrenalin. he is a good kick and strong overhead, an attribute at least one of your wingman needs to have,  but i'd be surprised if we see him playing for richmond ever again, in the season proper anyway.

Yes Al I am taking the pee... :thumbsup

And you will be publicaly executed for your support of Connors...... ;D, but I do agree with you, he was a favourite of mine. Then injuries and atttitude got in his way.....very unfortunate.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2011, 10:04:24 AM »

Nothing like a good ...um ......er.... source  :rollin :rollin :rollin

:yep

:eyebrow

:outtahere :outtahere :outtahere :outtahere

;D ;D

;) ;) ;)

:thumbsup :thumbsup
Sorry WP, i forgot it was only you that has any um.... er..... mail.  :sleep
One of my best mates who recently used to sit in the coaches box on game day and is still good friends enough to be invited to a recent wedding of one of our current players- so i think my mail is pretty solid.  :thumbsup
And for the record, i hear a lot of things but don't mention them on here- but i just thought with the lack of footy talk on here lately, it would be a good topic to discuss- but all you could come up with is ....um.....er.....sourse     :rollin :rollin

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 10:14:46 AM »
One of my best mates who recently used to sit in the coaches box on game day and is still good friends enough to be invited to a recent wedding of one of our current players- so i think my mail is pretty solid.  :thumbsup
And for the record, i hear a lot of things but don't mention them on here- but i just thought with the lack of footy talk on here lately, it would be a good topic to discuss- but all you could come up with is ....um.....er.....sourse     :rollin :rollin

No need to apologies big tone, I am not disputing your mail I am sure it spot on I just found it ironic in way that's alll because..........

You gave me one massive right royal whack a few months back over my mail .. saying that just because I got mail doens't mean it was always right etc ...   :thumbsup

Lots of people have mail, it just seems I am the only person you've evere whacked over mail   ;D :thumbsup...  :rollin :rollin

As I said I just found some irony in what you posted that's all

Maybe I should say sorry to you as it was just my sarcastic sense of humour coming through that I know alot of people don't appreciate  ;D ;D

Oh and for the record I hear a lot of things too  :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

And just on the topic, my view is if they are looking at putting Lids in the mid-field then I'd keep Newman across half back with Houli as our main clearers (aka better kicks) until the newbies come through and show they can hit targets consistently
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2012, 11:03:27 AM »

No need to apologies big tone, I am not disputing your mail I am sure it spot on I just found it ironic in way that's alll because..........

You gave me one massive right royal whack a few months back over my mail .. saying that just because I got mail doens't mean it was always right etc ...   :thumbsup

Lots of people have mail, it just seems I am the only person you've evere whacked over mail   ;D :thumbsup...  :rollin :rollin

As I said I just found some irony in what you posted that's all

Maybe I should say sorry to you as it was just my sarcastic sense of humour coming through that I know alot of people don't appreciate  ;D ;D

Oh and for the record I hear a lot of things too  :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

And just on the topic, my view is if they are looking at putting Lids in the mid-field then I'd keep Newman across half back with Houli as our main clearers (aka better kicks) until the newbies come through and show they can hit targets consistently
All good buddy... :thumbsup
Happy New Year to you and your family  :cheers