Author Topic: New coach, new year... same old schit  (Read 9314 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: New coach, new year... same old schit
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2005, 02:17:32 PM »
+ Cogs: Not mentioned about his ridiculous error in the 2nd quarter which cost us a goal

Don't worry om21 - I'll give it a mention - if you are talking about him trying to run past Otten$ :-\

Granted the Tom Roach handball was dumb but Cogs ran straight past Mr Jelly   sorry I meant Ottens. All Brad had to do was stick out his arm and grab him - I mean for crying out loud. And then for it to mean that scumbag Otten$ gets a goal - geez I was p/off  :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

And finally I know he hasn't played much footy in the last 12 months and we expect alot from him because he is a quality player but I have to say 2 things. Firstly, the defensive side of his game yesterday eespecially when he was at half back was at times terrible- Chapman cut him to pieces. And 2 - i wish he'd stop kicking with his left foot if he deosn't haved too - costs us far too many turn overs

Go easy on me people ;D :help ;D

Please its called analysis.......

+ Richo: Dont blame his dummy-spits ANYMORE after seeing another putrid display of disposal to him

Agree here om21 - if some of the passes to Richo were coming from players under pressure well the "at your feet or over your head" kicks would be tolerable but some of those passes yesterday were just shocking, blokes under absolutely no pressure. It seems to me the less pressure the worse the kick.

Graham, when the game was over he played forward and actually presented himself, it really highlighted to me how crap our fwd line was when a guy 30+ from another club where he played as a backman shows us how to lead and make a contest inside our 50 even when it was all over.

I reckon it also showed that Graham has something between the ears PRR - while some of our blokes seem to either not have anything or chose not use what they have.

His goal came directly from the Geelong defence following Richo and Graham, instead following Richo in the hope of getting a kick,  just floated free instead. No rocket science just smart footy.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2005, 02:21:32 PM »
Oh and I forgot to mention... there's an old saying and Gene Simmons of Kiss sings the line in song on the album "Music from The Elder" ...

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

:banghead :rollin :banghead :rollin :banghead :rollin

:help

;D :'( ;D

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2005, 03:36:54 PM »
Im glad I wasnt the only one who saw that incident. I almost chucked up when I saw that. And the fact that Judas got his first goal from it........wheres the bucket?
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

letsgetiton!

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2005, 07:26:54 AM »
Oh and I forgot to mention... there's an old saying and Gene Simmons of Kiss sings the line in song on the album "Music from The Elder" ...

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

:banghead :rollin :banghead :rollin :banghead :rollin

:help

wp! did not know u were a kiss fan! i have met gene 3 times, now thare is a smart man! the elder is tghe most underrated album of all time imo ! tell ya what , if the tigers want to be inspired all they have to do is listen and read about genes life story!

;D :'( ;D

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2005, 09:49:43 AM »
Not sure what I was expecting from this game, or the season.  I even tried not to expect anything.  Actually, I could’ve been happy with nothing.  Woulda been better than the uncompetitive rabble we got to see.

For Richmond supporters, that second quarter could easily be referred to as “welcome to my nightmare”.  Anything that could go wrong did.  After that it didn’t get much better.  Even though we kicked 15 goals, it didn’t really feel like it.  Felt more like being kicked in the guts 25 times or more.

Probably should’ve listened to the warning signs going off in my head after what Brisbane did to the Saints the other night.  If I wasn’t listening then, I was way before the end of the game on Sunday.

I already knew it, but just brought home how long-term this project really is.  It’s going to take a lot of time, patience and a couple more clean outs before we start to get things heading in the right direction.

At least Deledio gave us something to cheer about and look forward to, early in the game.

After that it gets a bit tough to find anything good to come out of the game.

Hopefully TW will lose patience with selfish players quicker than me.  Maybe he already has.

Only problem with that is that I saw the second half of the Coburg game and there really didn’t seem to be much there that could come into the seniors and make any real difference to the team, short-term.

Staff, Hartigan, Tambling and maybe Moore, Raines and Meyer could come in for a few games, without thinking about it too much.  After that they’re all pretty much project players and will take time.

So, unless TW is Merlin the Magician then we’re going to have to play a similar line up for the majority of the season.  Not because we want to, but because we probably have to.  Unless of course TW decides to throw the baby out with the bath water, at some stage of the season, and play a team of Tiger cubs.  Probably not.

The midfield rotations kept coming, especially late in the game.  Not sure whether that was to keep players’ minds on the job (there’s a thought) or what, but in the last quarter it seemed that just about after every goal there was a new midfield set up.  We did outscore the opposition in the last quarter, probably coz the opposition got bored, and there wasn’t much to play for by that stage, apart from percentage and pride.  Hardly worth worrying about really and not like we’ve worried about in the past.

Couldn’t really find any 4 quarter players.  Believe me, I tried.  Even sat through the replay.  For anyone with a weak stomach, don’t bother and if you do, turn the volume off.  At least if you’re watching the nightmare unfold you don’t have to hear how bad it really is.  That way, you could even pretend you’re watching the Keystone Cops vs the Harlem Globetrotters.  How funny could that be?

S’pose it could be funny, in a bent and twisted kinda way, but I just don’t feel like laughing right now.  No sense of humour some people. :P

If Ottens was a player coming to Richmond, under similar circumstances, he would have crumbled under the pressure.  The difference being that he was treated like a long lost brother by the Geelong players and made to feel part of the team.  Not only that, they really supported him to the hilt and shared the burden of the pressure he had been under through the week.  Something he couldn’t have expected at Richmond.  He would’ve been a lone figure, trying to do it himself.  Which is the biggest slap in the face and indication that we’re a million miles from being anywhere near a good team.  As if we didn’t already know.

Their team work, team spirit, camaraderie and whatever else they’ve developed is in another stratosphere to where we’re at.  Let’s not forget that Thompson has been there more than five years and that it has taken that long for them to get to this point and they haven’t won anything of any significance just yet.  It hasn’t been all plain sailing over those years, so let’s not get too disheartened just yet.  Says me.  :help

The really galling part is that it wouldn’t surprise me if Ottens feels more part of Geelong after that one game than he felt part of Richmond in 7 years here.  Whose fault that is, who knows, but I doubt we helped the situation any.  Says something about our team environment and is something that has bugged me for a number of years.  Even way before Danny got to RFC.  Why don’t they see it?

Hopefully TW, and anyone else who can do something about the situation, will cotton on, sooner rather than later, to what players coming to RFC are up against.

Being in a group/team environment is supposed to help people learn and grow quicker than in an individual situation.  There’s something seriously wrong when it just sends our players backwards.

Is it just that we don’t have the right mix of players, so you don’t get that team work/spirit working until you get that right?  Or is there some individual mentality ingrained into our players that continues to work against them?

If selfish players don’t get it then the sooner we turn over the playing list the better, because the past is like a cross to bear.  No matter what changes and what happens, the old habits and traits are always there.  Under pressure, we just go to pieces.  What chance have the younger players got when senior/experienced blokes just don’t stand up?  And the inexperienced players are supposed to follow their example?  Am I the only one that thinks there’s something wrong with that?

I’m sure TW always knew he had a tough job ahead of him, but if he can get any semblance of team work/spirit happening by the end of this or the next season then that’ll be a miracle in itself.

Eventually it will happen and the difference will be significant.  But at the moment, it’s like we have no idea about teamwork and working together, you know, for the good of the team.  And like putting on a Richmond jumper means “every man for himself”.  :banghead :banghead :banghead

What sort of habits and traits can players coming into the side be picking up?  Nothing they should remember, especially the bit about being selfish.  There may be a few who could do with a good dose of amnesia after that effort.  I know I go on about this, but the sooner some of the up and comers are ready to start showing the way for others the better off we’ll be.  Because the concern is that, in the meantime, the example being shown to them cannot be helping their development.

How basic and simple is it to “man up”.  Obviously not basic and simple enough for some of our players.  So how long do you give players until they’re beyond persevering with?  Ok, it was the first ‘real’ game and there was a lot of difference for players in different roles, etc. to take in first up, against a better drilled team.  Anyway, we don’t have much choice at the moment, other than to persist, purely because others aren’t ready to take their spot.  Otherwise, you could be tolerant for only so long, especially when you see the same ordinary efforts time after time.

It is only one game and at least we have had things well and truly put into perspective, if they weren’t already.  Unlike other seasons where we have come away from games thinking we were on the improve, when a win only distorted the truth.

At least this way we know what needs to happen and how far we have to go.  Just hope the patience and tolerance levels can survive the journey.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2005, 10:18:43 AM »
Great post TS....I actually enjoyed reading that. At least I know I aint the only other w$nk who watched the replay (as painful as it was). Just quickly, after watching the replay I was convinced that:

+ This is definately a long-term project.....
+ I would rather see Moore/Archibald (if ready) to be tried in Chubba's position....I cant stand to see Chubba anymore
+ Whilst there was no 4-quarter performers, Hyde continued to try hard and attempted to break lines and run hard and support where possible....one-man band
+ Our leaders are tip rats. Ill excuse Richo because we lost because of the midfield, the other 3....my god
+ Campo has to be a permanent forward. He attracts the ball and is our smartest user of the ball. He can be dangerous in setting up attacks
+ Our body language at half-time was the writing on the wall. Its got to the stage where I dont think they beleive in their abilities to do the job...and that is a sad state of affairs.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2005, 10:24:21 AM »
It was always going to happen.  I rate Geelong very highly and think they are the best Victorian team.  Thought this at the end of last year, not coz they thumped us.  

I was quite disappointed.  Wasn't disappointed because we lost and even thumped, but I was disappointed with the dropping of the head of the senior players and the going back to old habots.  I was expecting a loss and even a thumping didn't surprise me because we are off scratch and Geelong are 10m off scratch.  I just wanted them to persist with the game plan of running in numbers, linking up and carrying the ball through the middle.  We did this in the first quarter and looked very dangerous.  But then the usual suspects came through with their predictable turnovers and we went into our shells.  Why?  Scorboard pressure?  This will be Terry's toughest task.  To make the players stick to their task despite what the scoreboard is telling them.  In saying this however we still have too many unskilled players, and the sooner they are replaced with talented kids the better.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

froars

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2005, 11:05:38 AM »
Great article, TS - i really enjoy reading your stuff, as it's pretty much straight from the heart and describes our emotions (which i'm unable to put into words at the moment lol), pretty spot on.

Geelong had pretty good motivation courtesy of TW, and the way they played as a team, as against a few individual efforts from our guys, we didn't have a chance.

I'm just writing off this week - refuse to get too down about it and absolutely refuse to watch the replay.  Good on those who felt they needed a double dose of wrist slashing by watching it again lol.  We played a good team and it showed.  Next week is a really different matter, and if we play the same way against the Hawks, you could say we're in deep trouble and morale amongst supporters and the club will be low.

But i never expected much this year - still don't.  But i need to see competitive efforts, and a lot more leadership from the seniors, not the kids showing them how it's done, which is what happened on the weekend, yet again.

Cheer up ppls  :)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2005, 02:24:46 PM »
+ Campo has to be a permanent forward. He attracts the ball and is our smartest user of the ball. He can be dangerous in setting up attacks

Yeah he is the smartest when it comes to using the ball. It's just a pity that he has lost so much leg speed as he comes to the end of his career because if he had some speed you could throw him in the centre to at least direct the traffic because there didn't seem to be any directing around the ruck contests. 

It just proves how important footy "smarts" are - you can have all the skill in the world but you've also got to have something between the ears to utilise that skill.

How basic and simple is it to “man up”.  Obviously not basic and simple enough for some of our players.  So how long do you give players until they’re beyond persevering with? 

How long? Good question. IF you are talking in years - well some have to be on their last chance (but we've been saying that for a couple of years now).

If you are talking this season as in weeks - I'd reckon a couple will play for Coburg this weekend in Bendigo and some of the others will be given this week to play team footy or they'll be at Coburg as well. If this week against Hawthorn goes pear shaped perhaps we may just have to bite the bullet and play the likes of Archibald, Raines and Pattison etc. rather than persisting with those who just let us down time and time again

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2005, 02:29:09 PM »
Here is a suggestion WP.....why dont we just throw them in this week.

My suggestions would be:
Raines for Roach;
Moore for Chubba;
Staff for ???? (depends on team structure).

We shouldn't waste our time because beating Hawthorn will only buy half the crap an extra week.

:'( @ Campbo getting struck down with an injury that has ruined him while chumps continue without a scratch.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2005, 02:39:35 PM »
Here is a suggestion WP.....why dont we just throw them in this week.

My suggestions would be:
Raines for Roach;

I've gotta say I was staggered that Roach played on Sunday ahead of Raines. Raines' pre-season has been excellent

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2005, 03:39:38 PM »
It was always going to happen.  I rate Geelong very highly and think they are the best Victorian team.  Thought this at the end of last year, not coz they thumped us. 

I was quite disappointed.  Wasn't disappointed because we lost and even thumped, but I was disappointed with the dropping of the head of the senior players and the going back to old habots.  I was expecting a loss and even a thumping didn't surprise me because we are off scratch and Geelong are 10m off scratch.  I just wanted them to persist with the game plan of running in numbers, linking up and carrying the ball through the middle.  We did this in the first quarter and looked very dangerous.  But then the usual suspects came through with their predictable turnovers and we went into our shells.  Why?  Scorboard pressure?  This will be Terry's toughest task.  To make the players stick to their task despite what the scoreboard is telling them.  In saying this however we still have too many unskilled players, and the sooner they are replaced with talented kids the better.

Getting skillful players into the team is the key in my opinion. You can have the best game plan in the world but if you can't execute basic skills you will be found wanting.   

It's only natural to revert to safe chip kicking when you see that your efforts to move the ball on quickly result in the ball coming back over your head even quicker.

Guys like Gaspar, Kellaway, Chaffey, Hall and Richardson lack fundamental skills and we will continue to be a rabble for as long as we persist with unco-ordinated players like these.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2005, 03:43:08 PM »
:'( @ Campbo getting struck down with an injury that has ruined him while chumps continue without a scratch.

It's an indictment on our team that a washed up player who can hardly move and only plays 3 quarters of the game can still be our top posession earner.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2005, 03:55:20 PM »

It's an indictment on our team that a washed up player who can hardly move and only plays 3 quarters of the game can still be our top posession earner.

Its also an inditement on the clowns who continually slur him......I still predict a fist-fight before his career is out.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2005, 04:01:49 PM »
wallace wont waste time in getting rid of the usual suspects, he would rather watch us lose with kids ahaving a dip than what he saw on sunday, he just had to try out the same blokes and give them a chance.

my crystal ball says sooner rather than later (not in specific order)
hall will be out ..morro in
tiv out hartigan in
kellaway out gilmore in
chaffey out ....raines in
roach is young and could develop into a good winger but time will tell
polo , meyer, mguane etc

we will develop with time