Author Topic: New coach, new year... same old schit  (Read 9321 times)

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: New coach, new year... same old schit
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2005, 04:03:19 PM »
:'( @ Campbo getting struck down with an injury that has ruined him while chumps continue without a scratch.

It's an indictment on our team that a washed up player who can hardly move and only plays 3 quarters of the game can still be our top posession earner.

Its also an inditement on the clowns who continually slur him......I still predict a fist-fight before his career is out.

lol om. I'll probably be the one starting it if someone slurs him on his last match.

Campbell's always been more a man of substance than appearance. He does many great sublte things on the footy field that the average numb skull in the stands neither percieves or understands.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2005, 04:48:57 PM »
We might need to sit together for his last game. I have a feeling tis going to be a wild one.....Im even considering taping up my fists for this one....

@ X-Cited....Morro?  :scream
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2005, 05:00:51 PM »
We might need to sit together for his last game. I have a feeling tis going to be a wild one.....Im even considering taping up my fists for this one....

lmfaoooo@wearing a mouth guard to the footy.

lmfaoooo@bashing your fellow supporters. ahhh stuff, what have we come to....

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2005, 05:53:10 PM »
Geelong had pretty good motivation courtesy of TW, and the way they played as a team, as against a few individual efforts from our guys, we didn't have a chance.

I know people disagreed with TW’s comments through last week and I didn’t think it was necessary either, but TW’s approach is a bit different to most other coaches.  It backfired this time and probably has many times before too and may in the future.

It’s probably not in his nature to be backward in coming forward.  Which is probably a good thing for us, because, in the past, we've probably tried to minimise the damage, hide and cover up any deficiencies and not give the opposition any ammunition against us.  What good did it ultimately do?  Had TW said nothing and we scraped a narrow loss, or even an unlikely win, that would probably have done more harm than good, in the long-term.  This way, we all know how big a task this is.

I agree about the competitive efforts.  That’s what I was most disappointed about too.

Thanks for bothering to read through all that OM and Moi.  :thumbsup
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2005, 06:25:08 PM »
I just wanted them to persist with the game plan of running in numbers, linking up and carrying the ball through the middle.  We did this in the first quarter and looked very dangerous.  But then the usual suspects came through with their predictable turnovers and we went into our shells.

This was my concern with this style of play through the pre season.  Not that it would probably make too much difference what game plan we adopted.  I don’t know whether this is correct or not, but to me this style seems more likely to expose players for a lack of footy smarts and skill.  I wasn’t really sure that we had enough players that could carry it out, in the short-term at least and secretly feared a few shellackings, especially early on.

Had we improved enough and done enough skills work to make it work, to any noticeable degree?  We didn’t have to wait long to find out.  Under less pressure there will be times when we look good, but it’s under pressure that counts and that’s where we get found out, every time.  And if you don’t have enough players who can handle the pressure and do the team things then looking good when minimal pressure is applied means absolutely nothing.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2005, 06:53:44 PM »
apparaently morro played really well at chb for coburg on sunday! lets wait n c

tw today said in a press conference he has given all his experienced players and leadership group 1 months notice, "play to my plan and my rules or ur out" they hve been told, its just a matter of time cos he said he wont hesitate to play all the young kids if they dont do as they are instructed!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2005, 07:07:51 PM »
But then the usual suspects came through with their predictable turnovers and we went into our shells.  Why?  Scorboard pressure?  This will be Terry's toughest task.  To make the players stick to their task despite what the scoreboard is telling them.  In saying this however we still have too many unskilled players, and the sooner they are replaced with talented kids the better.

Well said Harry.

Sticking to the coach's gameplan no matter the circumstances is called discipline. Sadly most our long-term senior players severely lack it when the pressure is turned on.

Guys like Gaspar, Kellaway, Chaffey, Hall and Richardson lack fundamental skills and we will continue to be a rabble for as long as we persist with unco-ordinated players like these.

And at least 3 of these are our KP defenders  :help.

Three of those named in John's list each made successive turnovers resulting in Cats goals in the first quarter that got Geelong on their merry way and we didn't fire a shot after that. To be a cohesive unit you need faith in your and your teammates' abilities. Pretty hard to have faith in each other's abilites when you play for the turnover kings of the AFL.

It's also hard to man up when you run off your direct opponent to receive the footy and your teammate then passes straight to the opposition who then passes it to your man who's now free  :scream. It all comes down to skills and brains and our list is the worst for that reason.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2005, 07:22:17 PM »

Guys like Gaspar, Kellaway, Chaffey, Hall and Richardson lack fundamental skills and we will continue to be a rabble for as long as we persist with unco-ordinated players like these.

And at least 3 of these are our KP defenders  :help.

Three of those named in John's list each made successive turnovers resulting in Cats goals in the first quarter that got Geelong on their merry way and we didn't fire a shot after that. To be a cohesive unit you need faith in your and your teammates' abilities. Pretty hard to have faith in each other's abilites when you play for the turnover kings of the AFL.

It's also hard to man up when you run off your direct opponent to receive the footy and your teammate then passes straight to the opposition who then passes it to your man who's now free  :scream. It all comes down to skills and brains and our list is the worst for that reason.

Hell yeah MT.

It's a catch-22. Do you play to the game plan, try and be creative by offering some run and leaving your opponent behind, only to turn the ball over or have one of your team mates turn the ball over, resulting in your opponent scoring a goal by being left unmanned? Or do you stick to your man, and thereby not leave him free but by so doing not play according to the game plan and not provide any run which can stimmulate attack, whihc in turn places more pressure on the defence?

Skill and footy smarts are the only things that break this catch 22. And at the moment there is a paucity of both.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2005, 09:49:02 PM »
wp! did not know u were a kiss fan! i have met gene 3 times, now thare is a smart man! the elder is tghe most underrated album of all time imo ! tell ya what , if the tigers want to be inspired all they have to do is listen and read about genes life story!

;D :'( ;D

Yes a big Kiss fan X - It could be argued that The Elder is the best movie soundtrack ever made! It's just a pity there aint no movie to go with it :help

Actually I thought they could of done a song or 2 off that album when they did the show with the MSO - would of worked a treat IMO
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2005, 10:40:59 PM »

It's a catch-22. Do you play to the game plan, try and be creative by offering some run and leaving your opponent behind, only to turn the ball over or have one of your team mates turn the ball over, resulting in your opponent scoring a goal by being left unmanned? Or do you stick to your man, and thereby not leave him free but by so doing not play according to the game plan and not provide any run which can stimmulate attack, whihc in turn places more pressure on the defence?

Skill and footy smarts are the only things that break this catch 22. And at the moment there is a paucity of both.

Bloody good point JF, and well made.

As you say, skill and footy smarts are the only things that will break the catch 22 and unfortunately we don't have enough players who possess this.  A player who can quickly assess the situation and take off leaving his man having the confidence in his ability to receive the ball and not turn it over.  Yes, a Chaffey might follow Terry's game plan of run create, attack, but if doesn't have the awareness of when to run, nor the skill level to deliver, it's a pretty pointless excercise at the end of the day.  Aaaaah, Chaffey, as recipient of the Golden Turnip award, you will constantly be mentioned in such examples.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2005, 03:07:02 AM »

Spot on John.

This is where Wallace just needs to show lots of confidence in the guys who do the right thing and are able to follow and more importantly execute his run and carry gameplan under pressure to break that catch 22 situation. Tell them to keep it up despite what the scoreboard shows nor how many possessions and goals result to their direct opponent from turnovers via their dud teammates. Be self-less and as the list improves year by year you'll be rewarded with winning the footy. 

It's an education process (there's that p word again  ;)) for Terry as much as it's for the players. Over time those capable in Wallace's eyes of playing in a premiership side will remain while those who don't or can't follow the gameplan either through lack of skill, brains and/or inability to follow instructions under little or alot of pressure will be weeded out. Hence Wallace reading out the riot act yesterday  :thumbsup.

Given the contractual arrangements of the regular senior suspects it's going to take until the end of 2006  :( before we get an opportunity to give them all the heave-ho. Until then we either persist with the usual suspects or play more kids. Terry's given the team (and I use that word loosely) until round 8 or whatever to decide their own fate. Either way until the talented kids gain strength and experience at AFL level we just need to make the most of the high draft picks coming our way (and hope the AFL maintains the priority pick system for a little while yet).     

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2005, 04:20:21 AM »
apparaently morro played really well at chb for coburg on sunday! lets wait n c

David Flood on club corner said Morrison has played well the last few games at CHB for Coburg. Stafford was ready to be promoted. Said after an indifferent preseason Hartigan gathered 25 possies or thereabouts so looked like he had regained the form he had last year. Gave a good rapt on Raines' game.

It'll be intereting what Wallace does this week in terms on selections? Too punish as a sign he won't put up with crap like on Sunday or persist with the "best" 22 we went into the season with and not make any knee-jerk reactions. Going by what he said in that article yesterday I'd reckon there'll be only minor changes - Staff and either Raines or Hartigan in and possibly Graham and Techno back to Coburg.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2005, 07:12:39 AM »
wp! did not know u were a kiss fan! i have met gene 3 times, now thare is a smart man! the elder is tghe most underrated album of all time imo ! tell ya what , if the tigers want to be inspired all they have to do is listen and read about genes life story!

;D :'( ;D

Yes a big Kiss fan X - It could be argued that The Elder is the best movie soundtrack ever made! It's just a pity there aint no movie to go with it :help

Actually I thought they could of done a song or 2 off that album when they did the show with the MSO - would of worked a treat IMO

still waiting 4 gene to make a movie "the elder", he has his finger , tongue and d--- in every pie!

wp, maybe we should send terry wallace a copy of the song "I" from the elder. u know it, its all about self belief , its a gr8 motivational anthem!! what do u think?

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2005, 10:39:07 AM »
Lets put it this way:

If you play on and miss kick it and you turn the ball over continually then your time is up.

If you dont play on and your not playing to team rules then your time is up.

Terry only wants players who have some skill and more often then not can play on and hit targets consistently. Ofcourse your not going to be perfect 100% of the time and do mistakes happen but what we saw on the weekend was just garbage.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2005, 01:21:06 PM »

Hell yeah MT.

Well IMO if we had a few defenders who stuck to their opponent and just tried to shut them down (which Gaspar used to do well), we would be a lot better off.

Kellaway, Chaffey and Hall are absolutely useless with the ball, what is the use of them leaving their opponent to provide run?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 01:26:25 PM by H Tiger »