Author Topic: Small forwards  (Read 15918 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Small forwards
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 01:26:53 PM »
Connors cannot be any worse than king :huh

For our small forward situation - I would continue to try and develop Turner, Helbig can also be developed in this role, but I reckon we should go for someone with great skills and football nouse in the draft and thats Ben Kennedy, he is only 174cm and about 74kg but if he can get to say 180 and 80-83kg then he will be fine and he will also be able to take a turn in a midfield rotation. Very good player.

Unless kennedy is 16 i cant see him growing another 6 cm ramps.

in saying that i dont follow this mantra about players being too small, they are either good enough or they arn't. sure larger bodied players can overcome skill deficiencies to a certain degree, but there will always be a place in the game for those small highly skilled players that the enemy have trouble getting their hands on.

Yeah well Nahas was swung around like a rag doll the other night and King wasn't much better when tackled, so there is some mantra for you.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 01:35:46 PM »

For our small forward situation - I would continue to try and develop Turner, Helbig can also be developed in this role, but I reckon we should go for someone with great skills and football nouse in the draft and thats Ben Kennedy, he is only 174cm and about 74kg but if he can get to say 180 and 80-83kg then he will be fine and he will also be able to take a turn in a midfield rotation. Very good player.

in saying that i dont follow this mantra about players being too small, they are either good enough or they arn't. sure larger bodied players can overcome skill deficiencies to a certain degree, but there will always be a place in the game for those small highly skilled players that the enemy have trouble getting their hands on.

Agree. Kennedy is same size as Eddie Betts and can play midfield as well. The key to it is that he would be upgrading King or Nahas so it's not like we are adding another midget to our best 22 but instead replacing one.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 01:45:03 PM »
Maric must come in this week for King

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 01:56:15 PM »

Yeah well Nahas was swung around like a rag doll the other night and King wasn't much better when tackled, so there is some mantra for you.
you dont find it frustrating to see players like betts and garlett run around our more solid blokes and make them look silly?

The will get ragdolled if they get caught, but you have to catch them.

As long as they evade the tackler and use the ball more than they get caught, they earn their spot. It comes down to ability, not size.

would you swap jackson for betts?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 02:00:44 PM »

you dont find it frustrating to see players like betts and garlett run around our more solid blokes and make them look silly?

The will get ragdolled if they get caught, but you have to catch them.

As long as they evade the tackler and use the ball more than they get caught, they earn their spot. It comes down to ability, not size.

would you swap jackson for betts?

Betts doesn't always come out on top, he gets caught out a lot because of his size, so it's not just about ability, it's about both. Our small players don't have the ability not to get caught, neither does Betts some times.

No iw wouldn't swap him.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 02:06:48 PM »
Nahas has not been rubbish! He had a filthy one against West Coast.  He had some blinders earlier though dunno why you are all crapping on him, last week no one could get hold of him.  This week he was worn like a glove, probably because they saw how he played the week prior.

With you Owl, Robbie is one of our quicker players, I think he is gr8 and has more heart than Jack at the mo, plus look at his tackling and defensive work

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 02:59:33 PM »
Nahas has been playing well. Small forwards are opportunists so so weeks the opportunities are there to capitalise on and some there not. It's their tackling, pressure and team work that should be used as a measure and what they do with the chances they are given. Nahas has been good in this area. King, for whatever reason this year, has not. Perhaps he is been given a more defensive role?

Either way our small forwards will perform better when Vickery returns and our tall timber can bring the ball to ground for them to utilize.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 03:09:33 PM »
I disagree Stripes. Nahas has been patchy this year and Kingy, who i dont think is 100%, has done nothing. The ball has actually been hitting the ground a lot in our forward line. Think about it. We had more inside 50's than the bummers and its not likely Jack and Miller are taking many marks inside 50. We need more out of all our forwards, including the midget brigade.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 03:19:55 PM »
I disagree Stripes. Nahas has been patchy this year and Kingy, who i dont think is 100%, has done nothing. The ball has actually been hitting the ground a lot in our forward line. Think about it. We had more inside 50's than the bummers and its not likely Jack and Miller are taking many marks inside 50. We need more out of all our forwards, including the midget brigade.

Yes King may need a rest.

I agree that the ball was getting into our forward 50 more than enough times on Saturday night but it was not landing in predictable places. By this I mean the defenders were punching it away or controlling the spill so it wouldn't come down front and center. We just weren't kicking it to an even contest were Jack could at the very least get his hands cleanly on the ball. Without Vickery, we became too predictable enabling the Essendon defenders to much control on our forward half. They conjested the F50 and gave us no room to move. Makes it tough for our small crumbers when they never get space.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 03:38:40 PM »
It is pretty obvious that when our tall forwards don't perform more pressure is put on our small forwards to perform. Contested marking is not a strength of either King or Nahas. Both are good at applying defensive pressure and are okay as lead up forwards but when your tall forwards are strugging you need a small forward who can provide a marking target. This is why Martin, lids and Cotchin are very good as they can provide a marking option up forward when they play there. I believe we need a small forward who can take a contested grab. Such a player would compliment King and Nahs and would not unbalance our forward line

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 07:36:50 PM »
Maric must come in this week for King

No because

1/ he was average for Coburg yesterday

&

2/ is he still promoted? Seeing Astbury is back and playing he may no longer be elevated
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 07:54:56 PM »
Average? Had close to 40 touches and got BOG. Was everyone else poohouse then?

TigerTimeII

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 08:12:58 PM »
value wp's insight and opinion over coach dimwit any day!!!!

go back and take ur meds!!!

Gigantor

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 08:16:49 PM »
i think mini maric really lets him down with his lack of chase .i;m no expert but i reckon his opponenst would probably have a field day running off him

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 08:37:03 PM »
value wp's insight and opinion over coach dimwit any day!!!!

go back and take ur meds!!!

Maric can play but he's no Tambling. Heard a rumour Dimma is going to pick him up in the PSD when the Crows delist him. We've got a role set out for him   :shh