Author Topic: 2012 All-Australian side - Congrats to Cotch & Lids  (Read 16901 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: All-Australian side - any Tigers?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 03:17:05 PM »
I call bulldust.

Sure rance can inprove but hes been huge this year.

Not as if the like of ted richards is michael jordan :o

Rance doesn't even rate a me :screamntion in the apologies? And how the hell does Squirrel Rioli get there, he's been mediocre this season.
he doesnt deserve a mention he has not been good enough in several areas.   
its only really us richmond people who rate him.
imo we should have 3 in contention atm.
 maric imo has been the best ruckman in the comp to date.
deledio has been superb.
cotchin has been consistent and eye catching not sure about weight of possesins though.
honorable mention to grigg woulkd say his season has been every bit as good as stantons to date.

the claw

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 04:59:53 PM »
I call bulldust.

Sure rance can inprove but hes been huge this year.

Not as if the like of ted richards is michael jordan :o

Rance doesn't even rate a me :screamntion in the apologies? And how the hell does Squirrel Rioli get there, he's been mediocre this season.
he doesnt deserve a mention he has not been good enough in several areas.   
its only really us richmond people who rate him.
imo we should have 3 in contention atm.
 maric imo has been the best ruckman in the comp to date.
deledio has been superb.
cotchin has been consistent and eye catching not sure about weight of possesins though.
honorable mention to grigg woulkd say his season has been every bit as good as stantons to date.
your entitled to your opinion mine is i dont believe hes been as good as most richmond people portray him.  and in no way am i saying hes been poor  hes been very good at times but ordinary at times in a few areas.
my oinion is hes a chb and he would be a damn good one. imo we are chasing a big bodied fb my preference would be for a player type like merret for example.id take him in free agency any day.

a back half with
b/ morris - merrett - grimes.
hb batchelor - rance - dea

now that backline could cater to any situation it could cope with injury thru a game. its big, its quick, its strong, hard at it, with lots of run and decent skills, with rance the worst in disposal between them.
of all the areas at the club i think the backline the closest to finals ready but it lacks tall depth and that big gorilla if you like.

back on rance im not bagging him i just acknowledge his weaknesses. and yes hes been good this yr most of the time. i just differ on how good hes been. he was very ordinary against essendon imo and despite good numbers has been average in a few other games.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 05:17:01 PM »
Griffiths or astbury are both tall enough for this role.

And i hope the other goes to overtake miller at the other end.

the claw

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 05:48:15 PM »

griffiths and astbury are key forwards plain and simple. id say only griffiths would have all the neccesary tools to play fb. hes quick hes tall and hes a good mark. he should be playing ff of this i am 100%certain.he is easily the best forward prospect we have on the entire list.

have you ever watched astbury play footy other than the few senior games for us. may play chb but i doubt it. unlike griffiths is not quick enough and not good enough in the air. hes a hit up player and a good one. happy to give him another crack at chb who knows.

even if we allow that both will become good defenders we will still lack for enough tall defenders especially if as is likely mcguane is cut and moore retires.the need for someone  like merret or his type as cover for a player like griffiths if he ever becomes a fb would still be there.

the simple fact is atm going forward we have just 3 tall defenders who are up to standard proven, and none of them are big enough.
 its the one type we do not have on the list, that is a dour big strong defensively rarely beaten 195/100 kg kpd ffs lets go and get one or at least try and develop one what harm is there in doing it. actually getting atype, if possible a proven type we have none of.
the worst that can happen is we end up with one or two kpds too many and we trade the worst of them out for good picks and repeat the process or use the picks on some other need.
i would be doing everything i can to shore up fb with this  type if in charge.
as i said we have real good chb but dont play him there in rance. astbury may play there who else is likely in the long term.

dwaino

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 06:10:11 PM »

its the one type we do not have on the list, that is a dour big strong defensively rarely beaten 195/100 kg kpd ffs lets go and get one or at least try and develop one what harm is there in doing it.

You always carry on like the club is not aware of this and is not looking for one.

Just sit tight.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 08:22:09 PM »
I'm with you on this claw, except I have more confidence in Rance holding down full back. So I think we should go after Josh Hunt who is a free agent and have him at CHB, we still get the big body but you get his bullet-like passes coming off half back where they break the field open. Rance just can't kick like that. The call of softness by Matty Lloyd (which is nonsense) might shave a few dollars off the asking price too.
You could end up with a mass exodus at Geelong if they scrape into the 8 and get knocked out in the first week. This could make players like Hunt very gettable.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 08:27:12 PM »
Hunt at CHB? he's barely 6 foot

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 09:04:05 PM »
Hunt at CHB? he's barely 6 foot

Well OK he's not a traditional KPD height wise but just thinking back to Sat night, no one could bring Michael Hurley down in a tackle, CHF are more mid sized and mobile these days, having said that Hunt is 30yo and not the quickest defender going round. I'm obviously a big fan of his kicking, our defenders kicking has improved heaps but there is still a bit of 'loop' or hang time in the kicks, I wanna see some more low bullet punts to help open up our gun mids.

the claw

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 09:05:28 PM »

its the one type we do not have on the list, that is a dour big strong defensively rarely beaten 195/100 kg kpd ffs lets go and get one or at least try and develop one what harm is there in doing it.

You always carry on like the club is not aware of this and is not looking for one.

Just sit tight.
just voicing an opinion on what we need and dont have. unlike probably 95% of supporters i dont rate rance at fb but think him a perfect fit for chb. i made no mention of what the club thinks or what they are doing about it.people post as if we dont need one well thats my perception and i disagree. we dont currently have that big strong kpd they may well try and do something about it lets hope so.

not me who needs to sit tight or chill out.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 09:11:08 PM »
Claw.

80-90% of afl key backs as forward as juniors.

griffiths and astbury are key forwards plain and simple. id say only griffiths would have all the neccesary tools to play fb. hes quick hes tall and hes a good mark. he should be playing ff of this i am 100%certain.he is easily the best forward prospect we have on the entire list.

have you ever watched astbury play footy other than the few senior games for us. may play chb but i doubt it. unlike griffiths is not quick enough and not good enough in the air. hes a hit up player and a good one. happy to give him another crack at chb who knows.

even if we allow that both will become good defenders we will still lack for enough tall defenders especially if as is likely mcguane is cut and moore retires.the need for someone  like merret or his type as cover for a player like griffiths if he ever becomes a fb would still be there.

the simple fact is atm going forward we have just 3 tall defenders who are up to standard proven, and none of them are big enough.
 its the one type we do not have on the list, that is a dour big strong defensively rarely beaten 195/100 kg kpd ffs lets go and get one or at least try and develop one what harm is there in doing it. actually getting atype, if possible a proven type we have none of.
the worst that can happen is we end up with one or two kpds too many and we trade the worst of them out for good picks and repeat the process or use the picks on some other need.
as i said we have real good chb but dont play him there in rance. astbury may play there who else is likely in the long term.

the claw

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 01:11:31 AM »
Claw.

80-90% of afl key backs as forward as juniors.

just one question and i will leave it be. would you have any objections to the club going out and getting say for example daniel merrett from brisbane when free agency comes in.
regardless of other tall defenders on the list i would be over the moon if we could do this.
we would have a proven ready made player filling a hole we currently have.
if griffiths astbury or any other young player can develkop into the role the more the merrier thats all im saying.

i will finish by saying  ben griffiths is our best chance to play ff and for the life of me i do not understand what the hell they are doing with this bloke.
they do get things wrong have got heaps right and wrong thus far and imo they are wrong on this.
b/  morris 185/84  - merrett 195/103  - grimes 193/87
hb/ dea 187/84  - rance 194/93  - batchelor 188/78?
is potentially a premiership backline. it can go man on man with every single type of player thrown at it. if a tall goes down on match day say rance you still keep your structure.merret can play on the 196/100kg clokes of this world or brown or roughhead and many others. he goes with them pound for pound one on one and keeps them quiet without having to rely on too much help from teammates.
why would any tiger supporter be adverse to getting a player of this type is beyond me. we need to get a few kpds anyway just to balance up the list.its not as if we would be taking a kpd at the expense of say a mid.
unless one of astbury post or griffiths can step up there is no long term backup for any sort of injury to our talls in defense.we can do with another ready made tall defender  and he may as well be what we dont have,  that being a 195/100kg type like merrett.

dwaino

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 06:32:38 AM »
Re: Griffiths. He hasn't exactly demanded selection through form in the seconds. He has only played out a handful of games since he appears to need wrapping in cotton wool and given a hug every second week.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 08:42:39 AM »
i find the thought of a mobile 200cm back man quite appealing, particularly one who can reach the centre square from a kick in, or roost it into our forward 50 if he takes the ball at CHB. I hope they pick him to replace grimes this week

As for Merritt, he will be 28 next year, combine that with the cost he would demand = would be nice, but pass
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

gerkin greg

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 09:13:26 AM »
Claw, you're preaching to the converted on Merrett
Would get 4 years out of him give or take

Would have thought Grimes' injury opened some of the nuff nuffs eyes, guess not

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 09:30:21 AM »
if you didnt have to win a bidding war id take him, but it would take a lot of dollars thrown his way to get him, too much for my liiking.

you may get 3-4 years out of him, but he is approaching the age where his best footy is probably behind him.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI