Author Topic: No round 1 games at the 'G next year? / Opener with carlton could be moved.  (Read 8006 times)

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
the solution is quite simple.
give the players their two byes for the season.

All teams get their first bye round 1 ;D
:lol
It would be great to finish round 1 on a positive note for a change!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
At first I was peeed off then I thought about it

Who cares where we play them as long as we beat them

If you get your ticket early then you will get a seat

Another thing I like its Carlton's home game so stuff em

Rd 1 2013 maybe a Carlton home game but we share the gate daniel. So on top of the fact the majority of supporters wont be able to get in we lose some very important coin as well
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

gerkin greg

Vic really needs an alternative state cricket ground to the G

Apart from BBL, there is always 95,000 empty seats

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond

Dopey Damien Barrett on triple M asked Vlad would the AFL consider offering Vic cricket Etihad so they could get the MCG?

Vlad said " that's a very good idea hadn't thought of that"

Sad when Barrett is coming up with decent ideas ;D

Hellenic Tiger

How about move the game to Etihad if the Vics play the final.

I am sure the AFL and MCC would pay for it given they could have blockbusters given Round 1 falls on the Easter weekend.

Carlton v Richmond Thursday night
Geelong v Hawthorn Easter Monday

Two 80000 crowds will pay for the cost of the drop in pitch at Etihad to appease the 50 Sheffield Shield fans who'll rock up daily to the final and you get two of Etihad's other tenants to play at the G on Sunday lets say Collingwood v St Kilda

AFL have an Easter Thursday deal with the Gabba maybe have Brisbane v Western Bulldogs

Easter Saturday twilight
Gold Coast v Nought
GWS v Melbourne Sat night

Sunday

Sydney v Essendon  SCG
Adelaide v Port Sunday arvo
West Coast v Freo Sunday twilight

Just maximise revenue anticipation and crowds for round 1 and let things settle from there.

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Honestly, who goes to the Shieis final, 3 men ,a dog & 2 sets of support staff

I loves me cricket ! But play the final @ a suburban ground,

Final next 5 years will be @ Bellerive anyway :)

Hellenic Tiger

Sorry WP didn't read your ratboy post before I ranted. :thumbsup

Didn't know ratboy spoke with Vlad.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Dopey Damien Barrett on triple M asked Vlad would the AFL consider offering Vic cricket Etihad so they could get the MCG?

Vlad said " that's a very good idea hadn't thought of that"

Sad when Barrett is coming up with decent ideas ;D
Hadnt thought of it?
Good to see he is earning his money ::)
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Political football over game shift

Jon Ralph
    June 12, 2012

ETIHAD Stadium chief Ian Collins says the AFL is playing politics by suggesting the Round 1 Carlton-Richmond game could be shifted from the MCG.

Collins weighed into the debate over where the game could be staged, after AFL boss Andrew Demetriou last week threatened to move it to Etihad.

The league is intent on starting a 24-week, two-bye fixture a week before Easter, but Cricket Victoria will not relent on its contractual right to the MCG.

Demetriou suggested playing the game at Etihad or moving a potential Sheffield Shield final to Etihad using drop-in wickets.

Collins felt a more likely resolution is Cricket Victoria accepting compensation to allow football at the MCG a week early, on Thursday, March 21.

"Isn't this a matter for the AFL to sort out with cricket?" he said.

"It's early days. I think football is testing the water to see if cricket will relent. The (AFL) have got until October to do the draw. (Whether) the AFL can entice (cricket) to play in a park and take some money? That would be the answer."

Etihad's contract with the AFL states the league must fixture 30 games that could be expected to draw 40,000 supporters or more.

But hosting a game which would potentially draw up to 30,000 more fans if played at the MCG could also shape as a public relations disaster for Etihad.

Collins said the stadium staged four Melbourne Renegades cricket games each summer but was not optimistic about the prospect of hosting the Sheffield Shield final there.

AFL chief operating officer Gillon McLachlan said the league was still considering its options.

"Ideally, we would like to start with the big games at the MCG but it's just not where we are at, right at the moment," he said.

Carlton and Richmond feel playing their traditional season opener at Etihad Stadium is untenable.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/political-football-over-game-shift/story-e6frf9jf-1226391655364

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers-Blues blockbuster faces axe (Age)
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 03:49:27 AM »
Blockbuster faces axe
Jared Lynch
The Age
June 13, 2012

Fans may have to wait for the annual Richmond-Carlton clash.

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou has put forward the possibility of scrapping the traditional Melbourne season-opener between Richmond and Carlton in the face of the clubs' opposition to moving it to Etihad Stadium in an earlier start to the 2013 season.

Demetriou is working towards starting the 2013 season a week earlier because the regular start falls at Easter, which would mean handing the opener to the Lions given their contract with the Gabba to host the Easter Thursday game. An earlier start would also allow two byes to be accommodated in the fixture, as requested by the players.

The AFL is unable to strike a deal with Cricket Victoria to free the MCG of the Sheffield Shield final before the end of March, with Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland reaffirming that a shield final could not be held at Etihad Stadium.

''We respect agreements and we understand why that agreement [between Cricket Victoria and the MCG] is there, so we will just have to work around it,'' Demetriou said yesterday. ''A very simple solution is just not have it [the Blues and Tigers match] as an opening game. Richmond-Carlton is a better game at the MCG because more people will go, and maybe that game will be a round two or a round three game.

''I think it's a nice thing they open the season with that game. It's got a tradition of its own … but if it has to be, it has to be.''

The Tigers and the Blues rejected the initial offer, saying that thousands of their fans would be locked out, with Etihad Stadium's capacity just over 53,000.

Sutherland said yesterday that cricket was happy to work with the AFL if there was another suitable ground for a Victorian Sheffield Shield final. But he reiterated that Etihad Stadium was not a viable venue for the game or training.

''There is a preparedness to work through issues if there are viable alternatives,'' he said. ''But right now there is no viable alternative in terms of a place to host a Sheffield Shield final if Victoria were to finish on top of the ladder.

''Cricket Victoria is ultimately the body that is the hirer of the ground at the MCG, and if they were the ones to host a Sheffield Shield final would have to deliver a Sheffield Shield final, so that's their call.

''But certainly we are very supportive of Cricket Victoria and their position and we understand the need to develop a facility, a cricket training facility as well as a playing facility that creates more flexibility and more options for them.''

A Cricket Victoria spokesman said the MCG was the only suitable ground in Victoria for first-class cricket.

''We have been working with successive state governments to try to find an alternate venue outside of the MCG that would provide us with that flexibility to stage selected first-class and domestic one-day matches to be held outside the MCG, but at present we are yet to get a solution on that,'' he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blockbuster-faces-axe-20120612-2088i.html#ixzz1xbPP8HR0
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/cricket/cricketers-wont-walk-away-from-mcg/story-e6frfg8o-1226393527455

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
lol better for us.

GWS in round 1 at the mcg ?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
It's the "MCG" part that's the problem, Mrakov...

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
It's the "MCG" part that's the problem, Mrakov...

good work
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
I tend to agree with cricket we desperately need a 2nd first class cricket venue for Sheffield Shield to free up the MCG for footy  ;D

Surely there is a suburban ground out there somewhere where they could add a stand that will hold say a 1000 people, that would do the trick wouldn't it?   :thumbsup  ;D

Tigermonk

why do we have to play Carlton 1st up every year, l wanna see a different draw & us playing the skunks twice next year so l will have 3 weeks in the year to torment them.  ;D