Author Topic: No round 1 games at the 'G next year? / Opener with carlton could be moved.  (Read 8002 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
I tend to agree with cricket we desperately need a 2nd first class cricket venue for Sheffield Shield to free up the MCG for footy  ;D

Surely there is a suburban ground out there somewhere where they could add a stand that will hold say a 1000 people, that would do the trick wouldn't it?   :thumbsup  ;D

yep look no further than Craigieburn

done deal

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Hellenic Tiger

I tend to agree with cricket we desperately need a 2nd first class cricket venue for Sheffield Shield to free up the MCG for footy  ;D

Surely there is a suburban ground out there somewhere where they could add a stand that will hold say a 1000 people, that would do the trick wouldn't it?   :thumbsup  ;D

Victoria Park?

Pies don't use it. Still has one of the stands up on the Northern Part of the ground.

Eddie can stick his nose in that.

Or Arden St.

Pay Nought 5 bucks for the pleasure and they can pay 100% of their salary cap. :lol :rollin :lol

gerkin greg

Ballarat

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Lalor footy ground
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Ballarat

Don't laugh State Minister for Sport was on 3AW last night and said that Vic Cricket is doing a feasibility study on creating a centre of excellence at either the Junction Oval (a very good ground for Cricket BTW) or Eureka Stadium Ballarat  ;D

Healy asked him if it is true that if they chose the Junction Oval the govt would need to put in %6mil to make it happen Delahunty said yes but theyhadn't asked yet

He also said that as it stands the MCG impasse between the AFL & Cricket is out of his hands and he can't do anything

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
who cares - Round 2 will do - Maybe we can play our yearly game at Geelong round 1  :o ::) :banghead

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame

Victoria Park?

Pies don't use it. Still has one of the stands up on the Northern Part of the ground.

Eddie can stick his nose in that.

Or Arden St.

Pay Nought 5 bucks for the pleasure and they can pay 100% of their salary cap. :lol :rollin :lol

how funny was it last night Archer defending Brayshaw by saying if it weren't for him they would be on the Gold Coast.

Instead they are gypsying around the Country in places like Ballarat and now Hobart.

Is there are more irrelevant club in the AFL?  Negative
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Ruanaidh

Scrap it....and BTW AFL give us a Nth Melb-like draw next year.........and Benny G, you are a fantastic CEO....but.....zip it!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Blues-Tigers opener in doubt as Etihad locked in (afl site)
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 02:55:47 PM »
Blues-Tigers opener in doubt as Etihad locked in
By Paul Daffey
afl.com.au
Fri 15 Jun, 2012

ETIHAD Stadium will host the 2013 season opener with or without Richmond and Carlton, the AFL has confirmed.

The Blues and Tigers had hoped to continue their agreement to play the first match of the season at the MCG.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said the League would not force the two clubs to transfer their game to Etihad Stadium. 

"Make no mistake, we're going to play the opening game of the season at Etihad Stadium," Demetriou said.

"If Richmond and Carlton are adamant that they'd rather wait and play at the MCG, we'd respect that."

The announcement follows a dispute with Cricket Victoria, triggered when the AFL flagged its intention to bring forward the start of the season to the second-last weekend in March.

Cricket Victoria has a contract with the Melbourne Cricket Club which states that the MCG must be available to host the Sheffield Shield on the second-last weekend in March.

Cricket Victoria has been unwilling to break that contract despite the AFL's entreaties.

By starting the AFL season a week earlier, the league can schedule 22 games and two byes for each club, supporting a move by players to include two byes in the 2013 fixture.

Demetriou said the season would consist of 18 rounds of nine games and six rounds of six games.

The announcement is likely to start a rush by Victorian clubs to host the first game of the season.

"I think it's important to start the season with three big games in Melbourne — and that's what we expect to do," Demetriou said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/138673/default.aspx

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
Not a big thing if we have to wait to play them at the G.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
I would prefer it to be honest. Starting the year off with a debilitating loss is becoming old  :help If we could play the Saints first up the AFL would be happy.... :cheers

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
I would prefer it to be honest. Starting the year off with a debilitating loss is becoming old  :help If we could play the Saints first up the AFL would be happy.... :cheers

Bulldogs, Saints, Geelong or North at Etihad would be the go.

Then Carlton in Round 2 at the G.

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
Brisbane :)

Then play them again up in QLD later in the year

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
Brisbane :)

Then play them again up in QLD later in the year

I got no issues with that.

Seriously with the draw we had this year you would think that the afl would give us something better next year.

They probably won't though. lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Key point in this is the fact that cricket will only need the MCG if Victoria makes the final

There is a fair chance they won't  :cheers I mean what happens by the end of January we know Vic won't play the final

So why can't the AFL just schedule Tiges -v- blues and when the ground isn't needed move it to the MCG
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)