Author Topic: Spear Tackle on Morris  (Read 8513 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Spear Tackle on Morris
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2012, 04:55:09 AM »
Crow to face music
Sam Lienert and Matt Murnane
The Age
July 2, 2012

A PREVIOUS sling-tackle suspension this season could come back to haunt Adelaide's Taylor Walker as the AFL match review panel assesses a similar incident involving the Crows' rising star, who sits third in this year's Coleman Medal race.

Walker faces a potential ban for Saturday night's showdown against Port Adelaide after dumping the head of Richmond's Steven Morris into the AAMI Stadium turf in a tackle on Saturday.

The Crows forward, who kicked five goals against the Tigers to move his season tally to 37, was banned for two matches after a similar tackle on Geelong defender Harry Taylor in round seven.

While Taylor was concussed in that incident, Morris was seemingly unhurt by the tackle on Saturday, which may work in Walker's favour.

But the two-match ban for the round-seven incident means Walker faces a 20 per cent penalty loading, plus carryover demerit points.

That means that even the lowest level rough conduct charge would carry a one-match suspension, even with a reduction for an early guilty plea.

If Walker was found to have acted recklessly rather than negligently, he would face at least a two-match ban.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/crow-to-face-music-20120701-21aza.html#ixzz1zOmEBUaM

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Spear Tackle on Morris -Walker gets 3
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2012, 04:29:18 PM »
St Kilda's Brendon Goddard stung two weeks by the match review panel

by: Sam Landsberger From: Herald Sun July 02, 2012 4:01PM

THE match review panel has come out swinging, slugging Taylor Walker, Brendon Goddard, Stewart Crameri and Brent Guerra with heavy penalties.

Goddard was stung two matches for the strike that floored North Melbourne's Sam Wright, while Walker must serve three weeks for his dangerous lift-and-spear tackle applied to Richmond defender Steven Morris.

Morris, clearly angered by the action, remonstrated with Walker but the star Adelaide forward was incorrectly awarded a free kick for holding the ball and shot at goal.

Walker will miss Saturday night's showdown as well as the crucial Round 17 clash with West Coast if he accepts the ban.

Full article:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/st-kildas-brendon-goddard-stung-two-weeks-by-the-match-review-panel/story-e6frf9jf-1226414802752

NB: it is 3 games with an early plea - well done MRP finally got one right

And Dan Jackson's been hit with 2 weeks (see new thread)

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2012, 06:06:29 PM »
Should have got more especially because got a recent prior but glad the panel viewed it seriously. A complaint should made to JG regarding that disgraceful umpiring decision

Ox

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2012, 06:10:30 PM »
Geischen=failure as a man

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2012, 06:13:51 PM »
more like a failure as a human
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

dwaino

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2012, 06:23:15 PM »
Was just reading the dobber's board on dumbfooty. Apparently Porplyza was on Adelaide radio this morning and they might look at appealing the decision. I hope they do, because he'll cop all 4 weeks.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2012, 06:46:26 PM »
Dobbers as well as sooks :yep. It was a clear spear tackle and deserved 3 weeks at least.

Btw may we have our free kick back please!
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

gerkin greg

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2012, 06:50:13 PM »
Think of the time had retelling the tale of that glorious spear tackle at Sizzler's all across South Australia on Saturday night

The salad bars would have been going off

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
Was just reading the dobber's board on dumbfooty. Apparently Porplyza was on Adelaide radio this morning and they might look at appealing the decision. I hope they do, because he'll cop all 4 weeks.

I dont think theyre that thick, then again :lol
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »

I dont think theyre that thick, then again :lol
This is the club that is so parochial that it once sacked all their Victorian-based staff because they didn't live in South Australia :wallywink.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2012, 07:21:40 PM »
Rules unclear: van Berlo
By Harry Thring
5:28 PM Mon 02 Jul, 2012

ADELAIDE skipper Nathan van Berlo has questioned whether players and umpires sit on the same page after teammate Taylor Walker's three-game suspension.

The in-form Walker was offered a three-game sanction with an early guilty plea on Tuesday for a reckless tackle on Richmond's Steven Morris.

Morris was dumped on his head in the tackle but Walker won a free kick from umpire Shane McInerney, who penalised Morris for holding the ball.

Van Berlo said the incident highlighted the uncertainty of the rules and interpretation.

"The weekend is the perfect example of players and maybe even umpires not too sure on where the line is," van Berlo said.

"He (Walker) gets awarded a free kick and gets a shot at goal for what seemed to be a fairly aggressive tackle, but one that was deemed at the time to be within the rules.

"I daresay the AFL's going to keep looking at ways to try and make the rule there clearer but, at the moment, players just have to be aware that tackles are going to be heavily scrutinised."

Walker has long been urged to change his tackling technique, with his tendency to 'dump' players into the turf catching him out on several occasions in the past few seasons.

He was suspended for two games for a tackle on Geelong's Harry Taylor in round 12 and was suspended for a game in the SANFL last season for another sling tackle.

However, Walker's captain said in the high-octane environment of a match, instinct takes over.

"You go out there in an aggressive frame of mind, every player does, to make sure they hit the contest hard," van Berlo said.

"They tackle aggressively and, I guess, when you get someone gripped in a tackle your natural instinct is to wrap them up and make the tackle stick.

"Probably Taylor doesn't realise how strong he is sometimes."

Meanwhile, former Crows captain Chris McDermott took to Twitter to urge his former club to appeal the match review panel's verdict.

Chris McDermott @ChrisSMcDermott

"Appeal! Appeal! Appeal @Adelaide_FC what a shambles this game has become. If Taylor gets 3 how many does the umpire get?
    2 Jul 12"

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/140211/default.aspx

Only in Adelaide  :wallywink

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2012, 07:34:37 PM »
uncertainty about interpetation?
is this stupidity due to a small gene pool in SA?

it's pretty simple really, if you lift someone off the ground and smash them head first into the ground, it's dangerous and illegal.
 :wallywink

perhaps they should practice this type of tackle on each other at training to gain a better understanding of how dangerous it is.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2012, 07:37:59 PM »
Robbo getting stuck into Taylor for the tackle on 360.
Stephen Rowe 5AA thinks Taylor should of only got a week(360 is playing his clip from the radio).

dwaino

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2012, 07:40:56 PM »
All those snippets of radio calls 360 just played it's clear how plain as day the dangerous tackle was. If Morris punched Walker and broke his jaw and copped the season I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. The more I see the tackle the more dog it looks.

gerkin greg

« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2012, 07:46:47 PM »
Crows fans livid, RFC provided medical report saying Morris has a sore neck and needs scans

Total square-up for the King incident  :thumbsup