Author Topic: Science thread [merged]  (Read 80256 times)

dwaino

Re: Science thread [merged]
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2014, 10:18:08 AM »
Meanwhile in Japan while Australia is throwing back to medieval Europe:

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/japan-wants-put-giant-solar-farm-space

Getting closer to the Dyson sphere  :clapping

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2014, 05:48:53 PM »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2014, 08:17:15 PM »

Meanwhile in Japan while Australia is throwing back to medieval Europe:

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/japan-wants-put-giant-solar-farm-space

Getting closer to the Dyson sphere  :clapping

Medieval Europe is underrated.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

dwaino

« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2014, 11:11:17 PM »
Minus the abrahamic mythology.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2014, 05:10:50 PM »
Europey without the church in the middle ages would have turn into dark age chaos

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2014, 05:31:54 PM »
for sure. Such great civilised acts such as the the crusades and the spanish inquisition.

The dedication of large areas in the building of castles and fortresses for the sole purpose of torture, not to mention the planning and engineering efforts designing implements to inflict as much pain and suffering as possible.

Such a proud time in human history with the church largely calling the shots.

It's just as well the church was able to rise to power and bring their civilised practices to the barbarians, because eventually they (the church) became custodians and protectors of vulnerable children and the last thing a civilised society wants is such people inflicting barbaric practices on those that need protection.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2014, 06:01:04 PM »
the church was the only remaining pillar of centralized society in the west after rome

without the church Europe would have been shambolic and overrun by Mongolians or Arabs and the world would be a far different place today

if you look closely enough i think you will find major faiths will have their hand in the cake today

The dedication of large areas in the building of castles and fortresses for the sole purpose of torture, not to mention the planning and engineering efforts designing implements to inflict as much pain and suffering as possible.

Such a proud time in human history with the church largely calling the shots.

It's just as well the church was able to rise to power and bring their civilised practices to the barbarians, because eventually they (the church) became custodians and protectors of vulnerable children and the last thing a civilised society wants is such people inflicting barbaric practices on those that need protection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guantanamo_Bay_detention_camp :whistle

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2014, 06:17:52 PM »
 :lol
The only thing the church did was drag the world from chaotic barbarism into organised barbarism.

I'm not sure how modern detention and torture of mainly Muslims by Christians somehow justifies or denies the horrors inflicted by the church, in the middle ages, or any time since, in particular the physical, mental and sexual abuse of children under their care.

dwaino

« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2014, 12:07:34 AM »
If it weren't for the arabs in the middle ages, and not the church or the Europeans, then all the great Greek and Roman works that we still have today would have been lost forever. The church, and the entire judeo-christian faith is nothing but a stain on human history. It has been the single most destructive and stagnating influence in human history and without it and its arrogance, lies and corruption mankind wouldn't be in the same poo hole it is in today. Mythology should have died in the middle ages. It is an out dated hypothesis that has absolutely no place in a modern, rational thinking society.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2014, 06:54:49 AM »
in a way you are all right imo.

Found this which i liked though:

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

dwaino

« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2014, 07:42:29 AM »
Haven't seen the graphic before but been saying that for years. The dark ages should have instead filled with blokes like Galileo being able to freely continue the work of others like Eratosthenes instead of oppression and indoctrination.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2014, 10:24:59 AM »
While the civilised Christians of Britain believed that disease was a punishment from Yahweh for sins, and happily filled the streets and rivers with their excrement, the uncivilised non believers of Asia, China in particular, had people collect their bodily waste in the cities and transport it into the country where it was used to fertilise their crops.

In 18th century Japan, such use made it so valuable it was a tradable commodity and a crime to steal it.

Primitive heathens

In the middle east, the cradle of civilisation, the arabs were so far advanced from Christian Europe in terms of science, medicine, literature, architecture, the arts. They had observatories, libraries, universities. Their cities not only had mosques, but synagogues and Christian churches.

Thank Yahweh that the Christian church  realised what a threat this all was to their religious (fear) based power and started the crusades in an attempt to destroy all this.

You can only applaud such religious zealotry that when you have run out of men to die for your cause, you start sending armies of children off to die in a foreign land in god's name.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2014, 10:58:26 AM »
We speaking of the current western oil invasion of the middle east or the crusades?  :whistle. In find it a bit funny yo bag the church forn2000 years ofnshyteness and praise how switched on we are in the modern day. Whilst george bushbsays the hail Mary as his finger is above the atomic bomb button

If you look at events like the rape of Nanking - making white war crimes look like a tea party in comparison - inwoukdnhardly hold up Japan as the historic benchmark in ethical and moral righteousness

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »
who's applauding how switched on we are in the modern age?
The discussion is about the influence of Christianity in the middle ages.

In fact it was you that stated we are now better off due to this influence, so if anyone is applauding how switched on we are now it your good self.

Why do you keep bring up modern day shyte in an effort to justify shyte from days gone by? Isnt wrong, wrong?

Beside which, it hasnt been said that Japan was more ethical or righteous, just smarter, at the time.

dwaino