Author Topic: Aaron Edwards a Tiger [official]  (Read 86508 times)

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
Re: Aaron Edwards a Tiger [official]
« Reply #555 on: June 23, 2013, 01:10:30 AM »
T-bag surely this 3rd tall spot should be filled by a developmental KPF prospect rather than a 29y-o, <6ft, low possession, 3rd club hack, that has kicked 1 goal in his RFC career.

Not much upside there, really need a young tall to be played for 3 - 4 game stint, leavi ng Edwards as the 5th just in case the barrel is completely empty option.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #556 on: June 23, 2013, 01:27:40 AM »
T-bag surely this 3rd tall spot should be filled by a developmental KPF prospect rather than a 29y-o, <6ft, low possession, 3rd club hack, that has kicked 1 goal in his RFC career.

Not much upside there, really need a young tall to be played for 3 - 4 game stint, leavi ng Edwards as the 5th just in case the barrel is completely empty option.

I totally concur Darth, I would rather see McBean in or Griff in at CHF with Vickery as the third tall but right now reality is Aaron is our third tall and IMHO he is a flat track bully.
I want to see those speccys and then some against the decent teams not the strugglers.
He is more polished and a more reliable kick than Luke but he is not the future and the sooner we get a kid in the better.
In six weeks time after we have played Sydney and Hawthorn if he has failed and knowing the Luke in the forward line option has been exhausted do we pull a surprise and promote McBean or anyone else or do we take the conservative and negative approach of McGuane based on his body size given we may be in finals contention.
In so many words McBean would have been perfect now given the quality of the opposition and may have an extra dose of confidence given the way the side is playing. :thumbsup

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #557 on: June 23, 2013, 01:31:37 AM »
McG would've kicked 3 tonight. Play Mcbean or Griff ImO
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

TigerTimeII

« Reply #558 on: June 23, 2013, 06:08:03 AM »
BS Edwards played a good game as a third tall.. And is hard physical  and tough
Good game will keep his spot

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #559 on: June 23, 2013, 01:47:10 PM »
Yes he was good tonight but I have always suspected Aaron is a flat track bully.
At North he could kick his bags of 3 or 4 against the strugglers but seemed to go missing against the big boys. I want to see him play like that against the Cats , Hawks, Pies, Swans.

That whole club goes missing against "the big boys". Bit hard for a hit up forward to get on the score sheet when the ball doesn't go down there.

Few armchair experts getting rowdy. He's going alright

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #560 on: July 01, 2013, 08:30:54 AM »
Aaron Edwards could be a huge bonus for Richmond's forward line as Tigers head towards September

Mark Hayes
    Herald Sun
    July 1, 2013

IT will be six years in September since Aaron Edwards took the mighty mark that might have ignited the career of an enormous talent.

Then 23 and with North Melbourne, the world - and on that semi-final night a pack full of Hawks - were at his feet.

But, on a path trodden by so many unfulfilled talents, Edwards drifted, just as he had from West Coast after 2005.

And when he spent a night in a police cell after a drunken celebration last October after switching to his third club, what was almost certainly going to be his last AFL chance threatened to be a short one.

So his transformation eight months later is nothing short of remarkable.

Gone is the player who won the Liston Trophy and VFL goalkicking award in 2006.

Gone are the days when he'll be expected to fully shoulder the expectations of a team's forward line.

But in their place is a dedicated soul who has clearly taken on the urgency of his situation.

And alongside the once overused Jack Riewoldt as a forward line foil, he last night showed exactly how valuable he could be to the Tigers.

It wasn't just Edwards' nine marks - just two off his personal best in his 86th career match despite no longer being the chief target.

Nor was it his precision field kicking, his goal or his bullocking nature in contests and shepherds that have greater effect than his 184cm frame would suggest.

It was his ability - in just his fourth senior game in the yellow and black - to orchestrate the space in which his fellow forwards could best operate.

He led to contests when he was the best alternative. He led away - taking his backman - from the dangerous zone when Riewoldt and the Tigers' marauding midfielders were hot to trot.

He ran hard to block spaces in the Tiger backline when the Saints made rare co-ordinated assaults, taking three marks in the defensive half and effecting eight pressure acts in the attacking end.

But perhaps most tellingly, he appeared to have won the respect of his teammates who listened as he barked instructions as to where they'd be best placed.

Eight of his 19 possessions were contested, the bulk of them when the heat was still in the game - almost as if he was fulfilling the promise of earning respect that he made to his new Tiger mates after his inauspicious arrival at Punt Rd.

Edwards has too much ink and testosterone to ever be described in a floral sense, but it seems - finally - that his footy career is about to blossom.

And in what easily could have been the autumn of his career, he looks like being a huge, unexpected bonus for Richmond.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/aaron-edwards-could-be-a-huge-bonus-for-richmonds-forward-line-as-tigers-head-towards-september/story-fni5f9jb-1226672202700

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #561 on: July 01, 2013, 09:19:44 AM »
Yes he was good tonight but I have always suspected Aaron is a flat track bully.
At North he could kick his bags of 3 or 4 against the strugglers but seemed to go missing against the big boys. I want to see him play like that against the Cats , Hawks, Pies, Swans.

That whole club goes missing against "the big boys". Bit hard for a hit up forward to get on the score sheet when the ball doesn't go down there.

Few armchair experts getting rowdy. He's going alright

Unless u r Benny Griffiths

Then u expectes to win the ball and kick it to yourself in the forward line

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Edwards discovers his Tiger niche
« Reply #562 on: July 01, 2013, 04:42:03 PM »
Edwards discovers his Tiger niche
Exclusive to richmondfc.com.au
4:09pm AEST Monday, July 1, 2013

Richmond recruit Aaron Edwards attributes his recent strong form to an acclimatisation period in the Tigers’ forward line.

The former North Melbourne key forward has played four straight games alongside Jack Riewoldt and Ty Vickery in the Richmond forward half, and the trio is starting to click together.

“I’m playing in a new team with new structures…I’m getting used to it,” Edwards said.

“It’s my fourth game now, and I’m feeling more comfortable in my role.  It’s going really well.

“I’m just playing my role in the three keys (forwards).  We try to bring each other into the game…we’ve talked about that over the last few weeks, just us three really working for each other, and isolating each other, and it’s working really well.

Full article:
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-07-01/edwards-discovers-his-tiger-niche-
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #563 on: July 01, 2013, 04:58:28 PM »
Been really good. Adds a new dimension to his
Seems more skilled and agile than i remember, or perhaps he's just playing with greater intensity at the new club.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Aaron Edwards proves just how valuable he can be to Richmond (Australian)
« Reply #564 on: July 06, 2013, 04:22:55 AM »
Aaron Edwards proves just how valuable he can be to Richmond

by: Courtney Walsh
    July 06, 2013

FOR two months, Richmond fans nervous about its prospects of finally ending a decade-long finals drought must have pondered the wisdom of the decision to recruit Aaron Edwards.

While Edwards cost virtually nothing - he was traded from the Kangaroos for the lowly pick 74 in last year's draft - the serial offender was in trouble before he had even arrived at Punt Road when arrested for being drunk following the Cox Plate.

Then, despite ripping sides apart at VFL level, he was unable to break into the Tigers team as Richmond lurched to the mid-year bye breaking barely above even.

But with the Tigers to play Edwards' old club North Melbourne today, the 29-year-old has proved just how valuable he can be to a Richmond side on the verge of reaching its first finals series since 2001, according to coach Damien Hardwick.

"He certainly provides a different target to Jack (Riewoldt) and Ty (Vickery). With all three of those players, we've certainly got a different attacking force," he said.

"He's been outstanding. He's certainly had to earn his game. He'd been in terrific form at VFL level but he's got an aspect we don't have in our forward structure we certainly enjoy."

It is an assessment North Melbourne coach Brad Scott agrees with, though he has no regrets with the decision to trade the forward who still lives with Kangaroo Levi Greenwood.

"It was disappointing to lose Azza, but we had to keep moving forward. I hope he doesn't hurt us," Scott said. "I'm really pleased to see him get another opportunity at AFL level. I think he deserves it.

"But if you look at our side now - we'd have loved to have kept him - but we really felt if Aaron Edwards stayed on our list, then Aaron Black would have been playing the VFL.

"Majak Daw wouldn't have had his opportunity this year. We're fortunate in terms of the number of key position forwards we've had on our list."

It is not that Edwards is peppering the goals. He has kicked only three goals in his four outings in the yellow and black.

But others are revelling in the space provided by the hard-working forward, who is proving a critical sidekick to Coleman Medallist Riewoldt and emerging tall Vickery.

Exclude his effort against Adelaide in round 11 from the equation and Edwards has proved particularly valuable in a roaming role, having taken six marks in his first match for Richmond and nine marks in both his last two matches.

The Tigers have scored more than 16 goals in all four outings he has played. Only against the Bulldogs and Port Adelaide have they been more potent.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/aaron-edwards-proves-just-how-valuable-he-can-be-to-richmond/story-fnca0u4y-1226675086361

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #565 on: July 06, 2013, 09:01:23 AM »
some of that article is a direct lift from the roo's website.

there is also an interesting article about how our forward setup has evolved
http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-07-03/scouting-report-forward-setup
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #566 on: July 06, 2013, 09:48:56 AM »
Great article, that dude must have a lot of time on his hands
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Aaron Edwards proves just how valuable he can be to Richmond

by: Courtney Walsh
    July 06, 2013

It is an assessment North Melbourne coach Brad Scott agrees with, though he has no regrets with the decision to trade the forward who still lives with Kangaroo Levi Greenwood.

"It was disappointing to lose Azza, but we had to keep moving forward. I hope he doesn't hurt us," Scott said. "I'm really pleased to see him get another opportunity at AFL level. I think he deserves it.

"But if you look at our side now - we'd have loved to have kept him - but we really felt if Aaron Edwards stayed on our list, then Aaron Black would have been playing the VFL.

"Majak Daw wouldn't have had his opportunity this year. We're fortunate in terms of the number of key position forwards we've had on our list."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/aaron-edwards-proves-just-how-valuable-he-can-be-to-richmond/story-fnca0u4y-1226675086361
Enough said.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #568 on: July 06, 2013, 05:21:08 PM »
Who's our Aaron black?

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #569 on: July 06, 2013, 07:59:14 PM »