Author Topic: Movies  (Read 55444 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Movies
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 07:16:24 PM »
Not 100% but I could have a good guess, however may tell part of the story. Probably wrong anyhow.

Thought it was one of the best movies i've seen in a few years

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 08:09:46 PM »
in the movie a reporter was hassling the "producer" with the same question. he ended up saying "argo and get stuffed"  ;D which became a running joke.

the movie is very loosely based on what is known as the canadian caper in which some american diplomats, who escaped from the american embassy in Iran when the mentals stormed it and took a heap of hostages in 1979, were smuggled out of iran.

typical hollywood liberties are taken with the facts to make the yanks feel good about themselves, but as daniel says, it is a pretty enjoyable film.

if you watch it you will find out why the name argo, but it has nothing directly to do with jason and his boat.

visit the pirate bay if you know how to use torrents :cheers

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Gigantor

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 12:32:17 AM »
Went and saw Argo this evening..Must agree top movie..

Gigantor

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »
Went to the classic cinema in Elsternwick yesterday and saw the new ken loach movie the"angels share".The term angels share i think refers to the scotch that evaporates after you have poured a glass.The movie is set in scotland and the main characters are 4 down and outs who have led a life of petty crime and violence.Without spoiling the movie which i thought was excellent with some isolated but very good laughs also,it shows how these 4 try to escape this vicious cycle that exists in their lives...well worth a look

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 01:21:10 PM »
Went to the classic cinema in Elsternwick yesterday and saw the new ken loach movie the"angels share".The term angels share i think refers to the scotch that evaporates after you have poured a glass.The movie is set in scotland and the main characters are 4 down and outs who have led a life of petty crime and violence.Without spoiling the movie which i thought was excellent with some isolated but very good laughs also,it shows how these 4 try to escape this vicious cycle that exists in their lives...well worth a look

Sounds a bit like another classic British film and one of my all-time favorites "Withnail and I".

Gigantor

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 06:08:19 PM »
Withnail and I was certainly a classic..gotta love the Brits they know how to produce gritty classics

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 05:14:17 PM »
Withnail and I was certainly a classic..gotta love the Brits they know how to produce gritty classics
So many classic quotes came from this film  :lol

"Because if you do, I'll have to give you a dose of medicine. And if I spike you, you'll know you've been spoken to."

"Right here's the plan; we go in there, and get wrecked. We eat a pork pie, then lay down a couple of Surmontil 750s. It means we'll miss out on Monday but come out smiling Tuesday morning"

"How can it be so cold in here? It's like Greenland in here. We've got to get some booze. It's the only solution to this intense cold. Something's got to be done. We can't go on like this. I'm a trained actor reduced to the status of a bum. I mean look at us! Nothing that reasonable members of society demand as their rights! No fridges, no televisions, no phones. Much more of this and I'm going to apply for meals on wheels."

"I'm in a park and I'm practically dead; what good's the countryside gonna do?"

Gigantor

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 11:01:38 AM »
Trundled off to the Palace cinema in Balwyn and saw the new Clint Eastwood movie "Trouble with the curve".It also stars Amy adams and justin timberlake.
The movie is about an ageing baseball scout for the Atlanta braves who is going blind and trying to hide it from his bosses and daughter.The interesting thing about this movie is that it takes the opposite view to the brad Pitt movie early this year"money ball".instead of computers and endless statistics these guys use years of experience and gut feel to determine whether a recruit will make it or not.One gun recruit who everyone was after and certain to go number one in their draft was not liked by the Clint character as his technique was floored .So when asked how does he know his technique is floored he responds and i paraphrase here "I can tell by the sound  the ball makes when it hits the bat"
I also liked the Amy adams character as well,always a big fan of Amy and think shes a cutey to boot.Ha ha you girls can lust after the justin timberlake character
Overall well worth a look .however rather predictable ending

Gigantor

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 10:35:55 AM »
Off the classic cinema in Elsternwick last night to see the Dustin Hoffman directed movie..Quartet.
It stars Billy Connelly,Maggie smith,Pauline Collins and countless other legendary british actors.
The movie set in stunning british countryside is about an old peoples home for retired musicians,and the various personal relationships amongst this talented group.For me  Billy Connelly made the movie, as a quick witted ,randy ,former opera singer.
It was a slow paced movie which was ok for this time of year when everything around  you is going at 100 km an hour

Gigantor

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 05:39:17 PM »
Last night was being flicking through the Tv channels and came across the start of a western.it was called the "Horse soldiers" with John wayne and william holden..it was a civil war epic with a love twist for the duke.Must admit i had forgot how good a good old fashion western can be.pity they dont do many these days

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 09:34:12 PM »
Geez the old Bond girls are horny as !

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 11:40:08 PM »
Last night was being flicking through the Tv channels and came across the start of a western.it was called the "Horse soldiers" with John wayne and william holden..it was a civil war epic with a love twist for the duke.Must admit i had forgot how good a good old fashion western can be.pity they dont do many these days
downloaded and had a look and it's not too bad of a film. Soldier Blue is an old western that i enjoyed when i saw it years ago - that's downloading now.

Gigantor

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 02:46:24 PM »
is it showing on fox movies Al?

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 04:39:21 PM »
dunno. i just download them as torrents.

Gigantor

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 01:02:54 PM »
Off to the pics again last night.wasnt a whole lot to see.Sky fall was playing and was chockers as usual so gave that a miss.instead saw the danish/english movie "love is all you need".This movie was made by the same people who made "a better world" which was released last year and was quite a harrowing film of revenge and society expectations.Any way this particular movie starred Pierce brosnan and a host of danish actors who i dont know .The movie centres around a wedding on the stunning Italian coast (i think its the amalfi coast).Pierce plays a widower of many years who attending his sons wedding falls for a Danish woman who has has just undergone chemo for breast cancer ,and came home one day from chemo to also find her husband shagging his secretary.Anyway the movie is quite entertaining and has a few interesting twists as well.One being that the groom on the eve of the wedding realises that he bats for the other team and thus throws the wedding into turmoil..well worth a look if your scratching around for something to do during this holiday period.Take the misses too as I'm sure she would enjoy it judging from the reaction of most of the ladies in the cinema