Author Topic: Where Will Hardwick Play Griffiths???  (Read 3611 times)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Re: Where Will Hardwick Play Griffiths???
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2012, 01:14:46 PM »
It's probablu not going to happen. Riewoldt doesn't have a big enough tank to play CHF and he doesn't work hard enough anyway. He needs to play closer to goal where we can use his strengths. He's a very good kick for goal but not a great field kick. No use playing him CHF where he would get 10 touches and one or two goals. Need him deep where he can have those massive games where he bags 6+
jack certainly has the capacity to run all day. as junior his workrate was phenomenal. imo the injuries hes had and managed to carry has limited his work in this area certainly the last couple of yrs.
i reckon you would still get 40 plus goals a game out of him at chf.
as a chf he would be getting far more than 10 possies a game and as for firld kicking its decent besides  his decision making is spot on and more than makes up for this.

everyone keeps on saying we need a chf well imo we have a good one we just dont play him there. everyone worries if we move jack where will the goals come from well we have a 200cm ff who was touted to be the next lockett andinstead of showing faith and patience in him as a forward we choose to develop him as a so so defender instead.
the key is development i get critical with those in charge because i feel far too often we play blokes out of their natural positions never to go back to what they had shown they do best.

Your certainly an optimist Claw but if you think we can get 40 goals a game out of him you really need to call the club and let them in on your theory!! ;D

:lol

tony_montana

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2012, 03:51:16 PM »
It's probablu not going to happen. Riewoldt doesn't have a big enough tank to play CHF and he doesn't work hard enough anyway. He needs to play closer to goal where we can use his strengths. He's a very good kick for goal but not a great field kick. No use playing him CHF where he would get 10 touches and one or two goals. Need him deep where he can have those massive games where he bags 6+

Agree, FF and sometimes a roaming fwd between FF and CHF, hes a smart player and knows where the right spots are. He is not quick enough for a CHF, a good CHF needs to go on big 40-50 metre repeat runs up the wings to give our runners out of defence an option, if people think his lack of pace is a liability at FF, get ready for some heartache when he loses the contest to a more nimble opponent on the wing. Nah, leave him in the fwd 50 where his footy nous and goal kicking ability can create goals out of nothing

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2012, 07:42:06 PM »
+ Jack can't kick over 50m. If he had a big kick then maybe 40 goals from CHF but he doesn't so he won't unless he drops into the 50 a lot, which makes him playing CHF redundant.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2012, 08:53:52 PM »
CHF is the obvious choice for super boot. he has the tricks to dominate this posi and really make his mark

Whoa, would. Love to see him kick a goal from the centre square
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

the claw

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2012, 09:17:44 PM »
gotta say i disagree. but just to keep the conversation going if pace is all important to play chf can someone tell me the super quick chf at each team. aside from franklin id say there arent really any.  plus most of the two key forwards at each club especially the established ones  are right up there for kicking goals.
i reiterate for me chf is all about smarts and workrate. imo jack has work rate or he used to i see no reason why he cant have it again.he certainly survives on footy smarts.

how often were all of us peeed of this yr with jack trying to one on one body opponents and fail. how peeed off were we that he would not lead it was a regular occurance imo far too many of his goals came from being opportunistic if you like.
how much better to have a 200cm and when fully developed powerhouse going one on one and clunking marks. . or just to change it up super quick on the lead where most cant go with him. these are the keys to your ff along with being a good kick. if griffiths is being beaten he can get on the bike and get outside 50 and still be dangerous.

in different circumstances a hypothetical,  what should hawthorn do struggling down back play franklin back in a similar cirumstance to  griffiths at richmond or continue to develop him as a forward. buddy may well have  if developed there made a good chb but as a forward hes sensational.  we need to allow griffiths to be sensational hes a natural full forward who needs to be develped as such.
play him at ff and get jack on his bike and at chf id take 40 goals from jack and 60 80  from griffiths anyday.

one final question anyone have the stats on the number of goals kicked outside 50 by all chf i bet my bottom dollar it is a low as. of course you will have blokes like cloke and buddy who can really thump it and kick more than their fair share outside 50 but even with them id bet its a small percentage besides ive seen jack kick outside 50 people make it sound like he cant kick over a jam tin.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2012, 11:22:06 PM »
any chf worth their salt can play chb, and visa versa.

Not true.

Its more easy for a chf to move back, than vice versa.

This is why Wayne Carey.  Joni.brown etc. Are payed the big bucks.

I'm not sure how to word it, buts its easier to play with ones back to the goal. As opposed to facing the play and led etc. As a chf. Chb u will will be led to the ball. And don't have to make the play.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:37:51 AM by Bentleigh-esque »

tony_montana

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2012, 12:12:03 AM »
gotta say i disagree. but just to keep the conversation going if pace is all important to play chf can someone tell me the super quick chf at each team. aside from franklin id say there arent really any.  plus most of the two key forwards at each club especially the established ones  are right up there for kicking goals.
i reiterate for me chf is all about smarts and workrate. imo jack has work rate or he used to i see no reason why he cant have it again.he certainly survives on footy smarts.

how often were all of us peeed of this yr with jack trying to one on one body opponents and fail. how peeed off were we that he would not lead it was a regular occurance imo far too many of his goals came from being opportunistic if you like.
how much better to have a 200cm and when fully developed powerhouse going one on one and clunking marks. . or just to change it up super quick on the lead where most cant go with him. these are the keys to your ff along with being a good kick. if griffiths is being beaten he can get on the bike and get outside 50 and still be dangerous.

in different circumstances a hypothetical,  what should hawthorn do struggling down back play franklin back in a similar cirumstance to  griffiths at richmond or continue to develop him as a forward. buddy may well have  if developed there made a good chb but as a forward hes sensational.  we need to allow griffiths to be sensational hes a natural full forward who needs to be develped as such.
play him at ff and get jack on his bike and at chf id take 40 goals from jack and 60 80  from griffiths anyday.

one final question anyone have the stats on the number of goals kicked outside 50 by all chf i bet my bottom dollar it is a low as. of course you will have blokes like cloke and buddy who can really thump it and kick more than their fair share outside 50 but even with them id bet its a small percentage besides ive seen jack kick outside 50 people make it sound like he cant kick over a jam tin.

its not just speed BUT ABILITY TO GO ON LONG DAMAGING LEADS UP THE GROUND at full pelt. cloke is not quick but does this really well, taylor Walker does it in spurts, Josh Kennedy and Darling do it too. J.Brown used to do it in his prime. Jack cant go full pelt for more than 15-20metres max the last few years.   We need someone who can go on long searching leads to give us a chop out by taking strong marks on the wings under pressure. Our biggest weakness last season was never having a big fwd do that. That's what type of CHF richmond needs. Really its quite obvious JR is not a CHF, hes a quality FF and can also play in that slot between FF and CHF and lose his opponent with guile in traffic.

Offline jordie2tivendale

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2012, 01:30:58 AM »
Would love to see Griff at CHF . Imagine marking it from the kick in and sending it straight back over the sticks ..
We could have  have Ivan , Vicks and Griff all 60m from goal waiting for the bomb out  of defense and midgets like King and co all applying the pressure inside 50 would be a hard zone to get out of for opposition defenders..

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2012, 01:38:38 AM »
Would love to see Griff at CHF . Imagine marking it from the kick in and sending it straight back over the sticks ..
We could have  have Ivan , Vicks and Griff all 60m from goal waiting for the bomb out  of defense and midgets like King and co all applying the pressure inside 50 would be a hard zone to get out of for opposition defenders..

Riewoldts paddock  8)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2012, 08:11:20 AM »
any chf worth their salt can play chb, and visa versa.

Not true.

Its more easy for a chf to move back, than vice versa.

This is why Wayne Carey.  Joni.brown etc. Are payed the big bucks.

I'm not sure how to word it, buts its easier to play with ones back to the goal. As opposed to facing the play and led etc. As a chf. Chb u will will be led to the ball. And don't have to make the play.
I take it you've never played in the backline?

as a backman if you are constantly led to the ball you will get a bath from a good forward.

as for not having to make the play. what about when the ball is coming out of the last line of defense. It is the CHB you should be making the play.

To play both CHB and CHF you need to be a smart footballer with a big tank and the most important thing is to be able to take a contested mark.

The players you mentioned could all have played CHB, but they were so good that they more value to their clubs at CHF.

The only thing "easier" about playing in the backline is you can hit the losse ball running and not bother having to stop and turn around, but considering a KPP strength should be in the air and particularly contested marking, that s not that relevant.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2012, 08:24:54 AM »
They are both hard positions to play but not all who play in one of those spots can play in both. Richo was incapable of playing any position where he couldn't chase after the footy. Not sure Adelaide have tried big gun Rutten up forward very often ;D

But forget about these blokes. We have the best swingman in football today...

McG

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2012, 10:06:32 AM »
They are both hard positions to play but not all who play in one of those spots can play in both. Richo was incapable of playing any position where he couldn't chase after the footy. Not sure Adelaide have tried big gun Rutten up forward very often ;D

But forget about these blokes. We have the best swingman in football today...

McG

Yesssssss the Big G

Offline Bird Man

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2012, 11:26:47 AM »
he will play back which will push newman or Vlas into the mid easy as that  :thumbsup

the claw

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2012, 11:40:30 AM »

its not just speed BUT ABILITY TO GO ON LONG DAMAGING LEADS UP THE GROUND at full pelt. cloke is not quick but does this really well, taylor Walker does it in spurts, Josh Kennedy and Darling do it too. J.Brown used to do it in his prime. Jack cant go full pelt for more than 15-20metres max the last few years.   We need someone who can go on long searching leads to give us a chop out by taking strong marks on the wings under pressure. Our biggest weakness last season was never having a big fwd do that. That's what type of CHF richmond needs. Really its quite obvious JR is not a CHF, hes a quality FF and can also play in that slot between FF and CHF and lose his opponent with guile in traffic.
i agree jack has not gone on those spurts the last few yrs but that does not mean hes not capable of it in fact his early history says hes more than capable.

hes had a lot of injuries the last few yrs that wouldnt be a major reason why why he doesnt do it would it.  play a game spend the week recovering basically. as i said chf is  bout work rate as you yourself implied  to say jack is incapable of lifting his work rate when fully fit is just plain wrong.
his footy  attributes are definately more suited to chf  the only thing missing is the work rate he had it once there is no reason to believe he cant have it again.

anyway we disagree i think the main problem is people are loath to remove a 60 goal a yr player out of ff.
me i think long term it would be to our benefit and actually allow us to try a very promising ff who has all the attributes for the role to play ff. it would also allow us to play vickery in the role we desperately need him to perform that of a ruck/forward without the need to rob peter to pay paul on game days.

i really would like to hear from the club about exactly what role they think vickery will play.  after 4 yrs they must have a damn good idea.
is he to be developed as a ruckman to take over from maric or is he to be nothing more than a kpp.
 if hes to be a kpp there is no way in hell he should be playing ruck.especially if they insist on playing him as a chf look at the work load. for starters. this would mean we need to find a third tall option to also  play in the ruck.

to me we have the round pegs to fit in the round holes but we are trying to fit square ones in instead.
if hes to be a 60% forward  40% ruck he should play out of a pocket as the third tall option. i would have thought these are simple basic structures to go thru.

Offline Big Papa Bear

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2012, 11:42:33 AM »
If Griffiths can stay fit - then he will easily overtake TV as the preferred CHF. The Backline should not need him as the have the key posts covered i.e. Chaplain & Rance - with others to support - Grimes (once fit), Batchelor, Dea, Houli etc