Author Topic: Essendon face AFL probe/Players found Guilty by CAS  (Read 564891 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Essendon face AFL probe
« Reply #735 on: June 28, 2013, 05:46:15 PM »
It works by mimicking the way natural Growth Hormone regulates fat metabolism
and
Like Growth Hormone, AOD9604 stimulates lipolysis (the breakdown or destruction of fat) and inhibits lipogenesis

pretty much answer that.

cheers bents.

i wonder what happens when someone is eating more energy than they burn but this is preventing the body from storing that excess energy as fat?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #736 on: June 28, 2013, 11:14:30 PM »
3AW Football ‏twitter:

"ASADA denying giving Dank a letter of approval for AOD 9604. Which is what the Bombers were shown. They need the document released."

"Doc Larkins re the confidence from Essendon that it will be okay. We do not know where the confidence is coming from. ASADA denying it."

https://twitter.com/3AWisfootball

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #737 on: June 28, 2013, 11:27:08 PM »
Double blow for Essendon with drugs charges to trigger immediate bans for culprits

By Eliza Sewell
    Herald Sun
    June 28, 2013

Any Essendon player cited for an alleged doping offence would be barred from playing until his case was determined by an AFL tribunal.

The AFL Anti-Doping Code states the only way a player could compete before a tribunal decision was reached would be by the intervention of the AFL Commission.

It is possible charges could be laid in the Essendon case in the final month of the home-and-away season.

While the doping code does not stipulate when the tribunal must be held, it's expected it could take one or two weeks to be convened.

The code allows for appeals.

The stand-down provision in the AFL code has particular significance for Essendon, fourth on the ladder and poised to play finals.

The AFL has confirmed it expected the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority-AFL investigation into Essendon players' supplements use in 2012 to be finished in August.

Former ASADA boss Richard Ings this week said he expected doping charges to be laid against Essendon captain Jobe Watson and possibly other Bombers following Watson's admission on Monday he believed he took the banned peptide AOD-9604.

Watson said he understood AOD-9604 was an approved substance based on information contained in a club consent form that he had signed.

Under the AFL Anti-Doping Code, ASADA would notify the AFL of an alleged doping violation, after which the league "as soon as possible" must issue an infraction notice to the player.

Section 12.4 of the code says once an infraction notice is issued, the player "will be ineligible to participate in any match" until "the determination of the tribunal".

The code describes this as a "provisional suspension". But it gives the games's highest body the power to intervene, stating the player will be ineligible "unless otherwise determined by the AFL Commission".

AFL deputy chief executive Gillon McLachlan responded to the scenario of Essendon winning the premiership last weekend, then facing sanctions.

"I think ... this issue has to be brought to a head before the finals," he said.

"I believe that and I have sort of some line of sight on it.

"I'm hopeful and optimistic that it will be somewhere in the first half of August."

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/double-blow-for-essendon-with-drugs-charges-to-trigger-immediate-bans-for-culprits/story-e6frf3e3-1226671229771#ixzz2XW7f6h6W

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #738 on: June 28, 2013, 11:50:24 PM »
Quote from: LongBomb, post: 28899945, member: 10464
The mail is:
$2m fine
Essendon loses all points for 2013
no draft picks for 2 years
guilty players receive two years suspended sentence
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/fri-june-28th-2013-9-10-pm-tim-watson-states-there-is-no-doubt-there-will-be-sanctions.1015522/#post-28899687

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #739 on: June 29, 2013, 12:01:31 AM »
Playing theoretical devils advocate, let's talk about a guy named dank.....lets say wanted to win really bad.......

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #740 on: June 29, 2013, 12:18:01 AM »
If Jobe were to be banned and lose his brownlow it would absolutely shatter a lot of us bombers fans, especially me. Imagine this happening to any of your favourite players. This is one of the reasons us fans still deny we are in trouble and defend the club - we don't want to lose our captain and champion.

This is an emotional situation and it really is a massive downer considering we expected a great era of dominance from Watson/Club.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #741 on: June 29, 2013, 12:25:12 AM »
stuff em all
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #742 on: June 29, 2013, 12:26:31 AM »
Quote from: LongBomb, post: 28899945, member: 10464
The mail is:
$2m fine
Essendon loses all points for 2013
no draft picks for 2 years
guilty players receive two years suspended sentence
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/fri-june-28th-2013-9-10-pm-tim-watson-states-there-is-no-doubt-there-will-be-sanctions.1015522/#post-28899687

As of when?
Better be before September
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #743 on: June 29, 2013, 12:27:38 AM »
I'm going to take that drug if it's not illegal. Brilliant

It's an anti-obesity drug.

How much weight have you put on since your playing days?

:cheers

All round super-drug. Thinking of getting onto some myself

It also has other benefits including increasing muscle mass, increasing IGF-1 (insulin growth factor) in a positive way to metabolise fat, and increase the amount of energy burned for the same amount of activity.

Other benefits which have been shown include an improvement in osteoarthritis. It does this by increasing cartilage and collagen production in the joints to increase the thickness and repair some of the damage. It has been shown to improve muscle, tendon and ligament repair, improve bone density

Nice work, Tiger! :thumbsup
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #744 on: June 29, 2013, 01:23:11 AM »
Tim Watson has admitted that he has thought about the possibility of his son being stripped of his Brownlow Medal, following Jobe Watson's stunning public admission on Monday that he believed he had been injected with a banned drug.
"It's something I have thought about during the week for the first time, because obviously it was something people were discussing," Watson said in an emotional interview on Channel Seven during the half-time break of the Sydney v Carlton clash on Friday night.
"This is a serious matter and obviously there are going to be serious sanctions that are handed down at some stage."
Watson appeared to be close to tears after he watched footage detailing the events of the week, that included his son being booed thoughout Thursday night's game between Essendon and West Coast in Perth.
Advertisement 
"To me the Brownlow doesn't define Jobe, and I'm talking as a father now," said Watson. "We didn't love him any more because he won the Brownlow and we wouldn't love him any less if he lost the Brownlow.
"If that happens, we have two choices: he goes and wins another one, or Rob Harvey's got two and I know where Rob lives and maybe we can take one of Rob's.
"We are in unknown territory here. There's a lot of possibilities.
"This is something that every family associated with the Essendon football club has been living with for the past five months."
Tim Watson has been on holiday with wife, Susie, this week and said he had not read newspapers or watched television since his son's public revelation that he had believed he had taken AOD-9604.
"I mowed a lot of grass that wasn't even growing," Watson said. He said he did, however, watch the game against the Eagles, in which his son produced a best-on-ground performance to drag the Bombers over the line for an extraordinary seven-point win.
"As far as booing goes, it was great booing - not that I particularly enjoyed it. I had to turn the TV down at one stage," said Watson.
He was not critical of the Eagles fans, however. "They have a right to barrack and boo. As long as they are not vilifying anyone, I think they have a right to say whatever they like and I don't think we should take that away from anyone.
"I think it might have been counter-productive in a way," he said, referring to the Bombers' stirring come-from-behind victory.
Watson said he learned nothing new from Jobe's interview on Fox Sports on Monday night and he denied his faith had been shaken in either coach James Hird or the Essendon football club in the past week.
"My friendship goes back with some of these people for 30 years and I know deep in my heart that none of these people would do anything deliberately to harm or put these players in the scrutiny they are now under," he said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tim-watson-fearful-over-sons-brownlow-20130628-2p37f.html#ixzz2XWbEPTfj

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #745 on: June 29, 2013, 02:07:15 AM »
"As far as booing goes, it was great booing - not that I particularly enjoyed it. I had to turn the TV down at one stage," said Watson.
He was not critical of the Eagles fans, however. "They have a right to barrack and boo. As long as they are not vilifying anyone, I think they have a right to say whatever they like and I don't think we should take that away from anyone."

:clapping :clapping :clapping

He won me with that.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #746 on: June 29, 2013, 02:27:15 AM »
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/history-shows-it-doesnt-bode-well-20130626-2oxli.html#ixzz2XWpVygOU

Old article but pertinent.

In a recent, and relevant, precedent to the Essendon supplements scandal, a VFL footballer was last year banned from playing months before his doping case was even heard by an AFL tribunal.

Wade Lees was playing for the Casey Scorpions when, in 2010, he purchased a fat-burning product online that contained a steroid on the World Anti-Doping Agency's banned list.

Lees did not ever use the product. In fact, he never even possessed it, because his order was intercepted by Australian Customs after it was sent from the US.

Naturally this was of interest to the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority, which promptly launched an investigation into the young, Victorian-based, second-tier footballer.

It was not until last year, after he had featured in the opening five rounds of the VFL season, that Lees received a letter informing him that he was prohibited from playing football until further notice.

The letter said that the by now 24-year-old could continue training with Casey, which was by now aware that one of its players was the subject of an ASADA probe.

Hopeful that he could still argue he had made an innocent mistake, Lees did this until his case culminated in a tribunal hearing that ultimately saw him receive an 18-month ban from all sport.

The relevance of the Lees case now is that it is the only example of an Australian rules footballer receiving a ban from ASADA without returning a positive test.

Lees was sanctioned according to the same anti-doping code that will apply to Essendon players and officials, and in the same setting - a specially convened AFL anti-doping tribunal that can have any findings challenged by ASADA.

The length of Lees' ban from all competitive sport is also noteworthy in light of the forecasting this week by ex-ASADA boss Richard Ings that it will be impossible for Essendon's Jobe Watson to avoid a doping violation charge following the club skipper's stunning admission that he knowingly took AOD-9604.

There is a school of thought, among well-informed anti-doping experts, that co-operative Essendon players will most likely receive the most lenient sanction - a six-month ban - from an AFL anti-doping tribunal if doping rule violations are found.

But when pondering the recent case of Lees, who never even touched the banned substance he ordered, apparently oblivious to the product's banned status, some of the same experts say in the next breath that a six-month ban for anyone who has actually admitted to taking a prohibited substance would be generous.

Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #747 on: June 29, 2013, 09:04:38 AM »
I've always had a lot of respect for Tim Watson especially knowing that he was a made tiger supporter before he went to essendon.
Great player and a funny guy.
His son is a class act too. I like the way he goes about it and he's becomming a genuine match winner and a great leader.

It's unfortunate for them that their team and their "golden boy" coach has failed them because of greed, selfishness and incompetence.
If Hird comes out of this squeeky clean and his reputation intact I'll be very very suprised indeed.

P. S. Tim was correct everyone is allowed to boo at the footy and Richo was incorrect to be critical of it. It's footy!
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #748 on: June 29, 2013, 09:58:21 AM »
I think it was more of a channel 7 support your mate thing

BT the bloke who makes fun of guys walking onto the ground with their kids all of a sudden cares about a crowd who boo's

All a load of BS. Well done Tim and jobe well done for having the gutz to be confess

That's more than I can say for your colleagues namely your stupid coach and flogs like spike
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 05:27:46 PM by daniel161 »
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #749 on: June 29, 2013, 01:24:36 PM »
ASADA has confirmed that banned drug AOD-9604 is prohibited under any circumstances

Mark Robinson and Michael Warner
    Herald Sun
    June 29, 2013 11:53AM

ESSENDON'S hopes of emerging unscathed after its players allegedly used banned drug AOD-9604 have been shot down.

The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority last night maintained the substance was prohibited under any circumstances.

As recently as Wednesday, the club said it was privy to "facts" it believed would clear players of doping breaches.

The Herald Sun understands its confidence stems from a briefing by a senior ASADA investigator earlier this year on the status of AOD-9604. Asked about the alleged briefing yesterday, ASADA said: "ASADA is unable to discuss an ongoing investigation or operational matters associated with an investigation until such time as its legislation permits."

AOD-9604 is banned under section S. 0 of the World Anti-Doping Prohibited List because it has not been passed fit for human consumption.

The drug is not banned under section S. 2 of the WADA code because its performance-enhancing benefits are in question - a key plank of Essendon's defence.

WADA can ban substances under section S. 0 if they are a potential health risk to the athlete or if their use or method violates the spirit of sport.

"ASADA's primary role is to apply the World Anti-Doping Code and the World Anti-Doping Agency's (WADA) Prohibited List in Australia," an ASADA spokesman said yesterday.

"Since 2011, AOD-9604 has come under section S. 0 of the World Anti-Doping Prohibited List."

Player consent forms seen by the Herald Sun show some Essendon players were prescribed weekly injections of AOD-9604 during the 2012 season by Essendon's former sports scientist Stephen Dank.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/asada-has-confirmed-that-banned-drug-aod9604-is-prohibited-under-any-circumstances/story-fni5f6kw-1226671797587