Author Topic: Essendon face AFL probe/Players found Guilty by CAS  (Read 558955 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Essendon face AFL probe
« Reply #1740 on: August 22, 2013, 01:16:39 AM »

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1741 on: August 22, 2013, 03:43:21 AM »
AFL claims substances players may have taken in 2012 could still be aiding performance this year

Jon Ralph
    Herald Sun
    August 21, 2013 11:06PM

THE AFL claims substances Essendon players may have taken could aid performance for longer than a year, raising questions about the club's fast start to the 2013 season.

The Bombers have denied substances taken last year under its supplements program would have given an on-field advantage this year.

But the AFL yesterday released circumstantial evidence alleging some Essendon players were given Thymosin Beta-4. The summary of charges against Essendon for bringing the game into disrepute said potential effects could last "many months or even up to a year or longer".

Thymosin Beta-4 is listed as banned for use by all athletes under the strict S2 provisions of the WADA code.

The charges makes it clear substances like Thymosin Beta-4 can have long-lasting effects. It makes the same claim of Hexarelin, a substance allegedly brought into Essendon's Windy Hill headquarters by sports scientist Stephen Dank.

The AFL charge sheet said: "The club failed to reasonably satisfy itself Hexarelin ... was not being administered to players."

Dank has previously denied any wrongdoing at Essendon.

"If Hexarelin is administered in sufficient doses or in repeated doses to cause sustained growth hormone release, the effects (including recovery from post-treatment withdrawal effects) may last many months or even up to a year or longer, depending on dose and duration of use," the charges state.

"Thymosin Beta-4 is even less well understood, and while not a growth hormone releaser, it could well have equally sustained effects, again depending on dose and duration of use."

Essendon and Dank have denied that players were given either substance.

Leading athletics coach Nic Bideau told the Herald Sun in May that any advantage from performance-enhancing drugs would have a lingering beneficial effect.

"If you have a really good training year, it helps you forever or until you start to decline," Bideau said.

"It is foundation you are trying to build. It takes people two or three years to become a fit league footballer, and if you add another layer on, it has to help."

Essendon chairman Paul Little was adamant yesterday players had taken no prohibited substances and said that should never have been alleged by the AFL.

"We maintain our belief that no player was administered either harmful or prohibited substances, and assert there is insufficient evidence upon which any such allegation should have been made," he said.

The Bombers were 13-3 this year, winning a number of games on the back of late-game revivals, but have lost the last four games.

While the status of AOD-9604 continues to be contested, there is no debate about Thymosin Beta-4 being restricted.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/afl-claims-substances-players-may-have-taken-in-2012-could-still-be-aiding-performance-this-year/story-e6frf3e3-1226701654701#ixzz2ccunZ1se

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #1742 on: August 22, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »
How they handle the players is very tricky.

They clearly should get banned, however, if i was a player at the EFC, I would trust that the club wouldnt be dosing me up with a banned substance.

But as they always say, the players should know what they are putting in their body. The buck stops with them.

HOW CAN THEY HANG AHMED SAAD OUT TO DRY FOR DRINKING AN ENERGY DRINK ON GAME DAY, BUT LET THE ESSENDON PLAYERS OFF.

If he goes, the Essendon players must go. Or its so unfair on Saad.

The problem is this. If there was only 5 players, they would already be rubbed out. But in this instance if they rub out the players, they are killing a football club. Poor Zaharakis will be playing on his own.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1743 on: August 22, 2013, 08:50:02 AM »
How they handle the players is very tricky.

They clearly should get banned, however, if i was a player at the EFC, I would trust that the club wouldnt be dosing me up with a banned substance.

But as they always say, the players should know what they are putting in their body. The buck stops with them.

HOW CAN THEY HANG AHMED SAAD OUT TO DRY FOR DRINKING AN ENERGY DRINK ON GAME DAY, BUT LET THE ESSENDON PLAYERS OFF.

If he goes, the Essendon players must go. Or its so unfair on Saad.

The problem is this. If there was only 5 players, they would already be rubbed out. But in this instance if they rub out the players, they are killing a football club. Poor Zaharakis will be playing on his own.

I reckon in part the reason the players haven't been served with infraction notices is the fact that the EFC have no records of who was given what substances.

Yes players signed consent forms that listed what they would be given and therefore agreeing to take substances. However because of what appears to be the EFC's incompetance in record keeping no records exist as to who was given what. The consent form may soay  one thing but blokes could have been given some thing completely different. In a marcabre sort of way Essendons incompetance may have in fact helped the players.

My view is and has always been (and I know people don't agree with me) is that as it stands right now the Bombers players cannot and shouldn't be banned simply because there isn't enough proof to issue them with infraction notices. Apart from not knowing for sure who took what there is also the issue (as yesterday's doc fromthe AFL highlights) of ASADA right at the moment not having absolute proof over what a couple of the subtances were.

Issue players with notices now and  penalties and they are likely to be thrown out on appeal by the Int'l Sport Arbitration Appeals Board (or whatever it is called). Don't think ASADA or big Brother WADA would want that, I know I don't

The thing with the Saad case he has failed a drug test, where as the Bomber players haven't. That's why Saad will cop a suspension. Not saying it is fair but the fact is Saad has failed a drug test so there is the absolute proof about what he took.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1744 on: August 22, 2013, 08:53:32 AM »
Listen to MMM right now: Parent of Essendon player claims child used as Guinee Pig - go Sarah

"Been muzzled... Told not to talk to anyone"

"Son is considering walking away from sport"

"Players still dont know what they have been given"

"The meeting was centred from Essendons point of view. Not players"

"James Hird only worried about himself"

"Said parents have not been given a voice"

"My son has no enthusiasm for the game"

"Wants club to admit they did something wrong"

"To get young men to sign waiver was a huge flag - we found out about the waiver after the fact"

"Son said he signed the waiver because everyone else did"

"Believes they have brought game into disrepute and morally wrong"

"Its all about Hird and not the players health concerns"

:clapping :clapping

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1745 on: August 22, 2013, 09:00:22 AM »
Where's the link Bents  :huh Your first post which looks like you've removed you had the link to Bigfooty

If that's where you got it from please post it

Thanks  :thumbsup

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1746 on: August 22, 2013, 09:01:50 AM »
gotta start listening to mmm  8)

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/listen-to-mmm-right-now-parent-of-essendon-player-claims-child-used-as-guinee-pig.1026961/page-2

caller saying she was in tears. i hope it was worth it jimmy

How is Ian Hanke allowing this kind of thing? spin doctor needs to look at himself

they are saying there is a link to the interview on triple m website. - http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1747 on: August 22, 2013, 09:11:35 AM »
http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/afl/news/2013/8/aod-9604-not-prohibited-says-gerard-whateley-on-fox-footy-afl-360/

:o :o

Essendon Player's Mother On Triple M
On Thursday morning a mother of an Essendon player called in anonymously to Triple M's Hot Breakfast to vent her frustration with the Essendon supplement saga.

mother on one i the following:

Steinberg, Ariel
Davis, Luke   
Merrett, Jackson   
Kavanagh, Elliott

poor fecking women!!

"i challenge them to inject their own children with the same substance"

Rampstar

« Reply #1748 on: August 22, 2013, 09:27:09 AM »
I just heard that poor mum. Essendon is nothing more than a shameful rabble. They are in total disgrace. Thats all.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1749 on: August 22, 2013, 09:43:03 AM »
gotta start listening to mmm  8)

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/listen-to-mmm-right-now-parent-of-essendon-player-claims-child-used-as-guinee-pig.1026961/page-2

caller saying she was in tears. i hope it was worth it jimmy

How is Ian Hanke allowing this kind of thing? spin doctor needs to look at himself

they are saying there is a link to the interview on triple m website. - http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/

Thanks

BTW Can't listen to MMM when I am monitoring SEN  ;D

gerkin greg

« Reply #1750 on: August 22, 2013, 11:29:38 AM »
No way WP, players have to go

Otherwise you will have the situation where sporting clubs dope their players on purpose and just don't document it and they can get off

There is enough circumstantial evidence and some admissions on what they took

Have to ban them and can guarantee CAS will uphold any penalty if they appeal

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1751 on: August 22, 2013, 11:33:06 AM »
No way WP, players have to go

Otherwise you will have the situation where sporting clubs dope their players on purpose and just don't document it and they can get off

There is enough circumstantial evidence and some admissions on what they took

Have to ban them and can guarantee CAS will uphold any penalty if they appeal

:clapping :clapping

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1752 on: August 22, 2013, 11:41:38 AM »
'Bombers have used my son as a guinea pig'

Stathi Paxinos
    The Age
    August 22, 2013 - 11:21AM

A woman claiming to be the mother of a 20-year-old Essendon player says the club treated her son like 'a guinea pig' and says the ongoing supplement scandal is 'intolerable'.

The families of Essendon players have been muzzled and the welfare of players forgotten by the club and coach James Hird, a woman claiming to be a player's mother has told a Melbourne radio station.

The woman, who did not use her real name and was referred to only as "Sarah", rang Triple M on Thursday morning to voice her anger after the AFL upped the ante on the Bombers by releasing details that formed the basis of the charges laid against the club, Hird and three other officials for bringing the game into disrepute.

The woman said she had lost faith in the club, particularly after watching the defiant responses of Hird, who is taking legal action against the AFL in the Victorian Supreme Court, and chairman Paul Little on Wednesday.
Bombers coach James Hird and club president Paul Little arrive to speak to the media during an Essendon press conference on Wednesday.

Bombers coach James Hird and club president Paul Little at an Essendon press conference in Melbourne on Wednesday. Photo: Scott Barbour

She broke down several times while describing the pressures she felt.

"This whole debacle has created... my worse nightmare as a parent," she said. "My son who plays for Essendon and who I entrusted to be taken care off has basically been used as a guinea pig."

She accused Hird and other senior staff of being more concerned with saving their own reputations than the welfare of their players.

"It's all right for James and the board of Essendon to say they have not cheated, the whole question is not about cheating it's about morals, it's about ethics and it's about the trust that parents put on their club for the club to take care of their kids," she said.

"My child is in his early 20s, he'll be 21 shortly, and for him to be used and to be injected with substances that may not be illegal but could be banned, for substances to be labelled not for human consumption, or not for human use and for the club to completely disregard it, to disregard those warnings, and to inject my son I find appalling.

"To watch James Hird yesterday, and James Hird is a man who I've always respected, but to watch his press conference it was all about him. It was all about 'me, me, me, how to protect me.'

"Who's going to protect my kid and who's going to protect all the other players ? Let's not forget the harm was done to the players not to James Hird and let's not forget that any health repercussion the players will have to deal with not James Hird, not [club chairman] Mr [Paul] Little, and it frustrates me and it angers me as a parent we've basically been muzzled and we've been told not to talk to people.

The stress at home, the stress with my son, is intolerable. He is actually contemplating walking away from the sport."

The club has been holding information sessions with players' families, but "Sarah", whose husband attended the session held earlier this week, said Essendon staff were more concerned with the fate of the club than the welfare of the players.

"The parents haven't been given a voice. We go to meetings, we get told this is what's happening but we haven't been given a voice," she said.

"When my husband went to the meeting the other night the whole meeting was centred from Essendon's point of view and a lot of it was in legal speak.

"People have to remember there are kids involved. James Hird can say what he likes and Mr Little can say what he likes and Mr [Stephen] Dank can say what he likes. I challenge them to inject their own children with the same substances and see if they will do it willingly."

She said she wanted an acknowledgement from Essendon that it had been in the wrong.

"I would like for Essendon, or ASADA or whoever, to disclose everything that the players were given and for Essendon or Mr Little or whoever to admit that they did something wrong," she said.

"It's not about cheating. I actually don't think the club went into this with cheating in mind... I actually think they did it thinking they could improve the health and the fitness of their players, but it's the way they went about it. To get young men... to sign documents, a waiver, that in itself was a huge flag to me because if the club didn't think they had any issue why get them to do it?'

"They've done things that are unethical. From a moral aspect they're wrong and that is bringing the game into disrepute whether they chose to believe it or not."

She said her son had signed the waiver because "everyone else signed it" and he did not know what substances he had been injected with.

She said morale at the club had been destroyed and that was being seen in the club's sudden form slump.

"My son, come game day, there's no enthusiasm there," she said. "He used to jump out of bed... and it's the unknown. There's fear because he thinks 'I may be rubbed out for three months, I may be rubbed out for a year'. You don't know, plus the morale, regardless of whatever is put to the media, is just awful."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/bombers-have-used-my-son-as-a-guinea-pig-20130822-2scu8.html#ixzz2cer4D1hu

Rampstar

« Reply #1753 on: August 22, 2013, 11:43:03 AM »
ESSENDON faithful claiming that the phone call was a fake on their forums. These people are seriously challenged individuals IMHO. Lets hope they dont vote coz Ruddy could get back and thats no good to anyone except 65.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1754 on: August 22, 2013, 11:49:38 AM »
Bulldogs president Peter Gordon said today that he supports the AFL's right to protect the game.

You'd expect Collingwood, West Coast and Hawthorn to be anti-Essendon after what was alleged Hird said about them was leaked out to the public.

Little is totally deluded once again if he thinks he will get any support from the other club presidents at this arvo's AFL/presidents' meeting.