Author Topic: Cotchin/Mitchell get Brownlow [merged]  (Read 34244 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Cotchin, Mitchell awarded 2012 Brownlow [update]
« Reply #255 on: November 16, 2016, 11:32:32 AM »
I am not sure if I am right but before Trent was awarded the medal were we the club with the longest drought regarding winning the medal. Congratulations to Trent but a strange way to win the medal.
Think that's correct, with the exception of Freo and GWS who have never had a brownlow winner?

Correct Eliminator, last one before Cotchin was Ian Stewart in 1971 which was the longest drought which has now gone to North Melbourne.

However Doufey, Freo had Nat Fyfe win only last year ;D. Think Port is yet to have a winner

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #256 on: November 16, 2016, 11:37:40 AM »
I am not sure if I am right but before Trent was awarded the medal were we the club with the longest drought regarding winning the medal. Congratulations to Trent but a strange way to win the medal.
Think that's correct, with the exception of Freo and GWS who have never had a brownlow winner?

Correct Eliminator, last one before Cotchin was Ian Stewart in 1971 which was the longest drought which has now gone to North Melbourne.

However Doufey, Freo had Nat Fyfe win only last year ;D. Think Port is yet to have a winner
Genuine DUH moment. I think I was thinking Port when I typed Freo  :whistle

Offline Ivan

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Cotchin, Mitchell to receive Watson's Brownlow??
« Reply #257 on: November 16, 2016, 02:23:20 PM »
I don't see why the title of the thread refers to "Watson's Brownlow". Clearly it isn't.

It is until its taken away, have some respect

Trump is in power now

Hence I feel I am allowed to say this is quite dumb

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #259 on: November 21, 2016, 09:54:35 PM »
Dank has said he's going to get Jobe Watson his Brownlow back  :lol.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #260 on: November 21, 2016, 09:59:10 PM »
They should strike him a new one, that one has tear stains on it and the salt will corrode the medal
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL in a muddle over Brownlow presentation (Age)
« Reply #261 on: November 23, 2016, 03:24:01 AM »
AFL in a muddle over Brownlow presentation

Caroline Wilson
The Age
23 November 2016

Even allowing for the appropriate sensitivity afforded Essendon's devastated Jobe Watson, the inescapable impression is that the AFL has danced around the practical details of how to manage the handover to Sam Mitchell and Trent Cotchin.

Having negotiated the most palatable outcome for the player and the competition in what has clearly been everything but; too much of the accompanying fall-out feels uncomfortable where the new winners are concerned.

While Brownlow Medallists are usually honoured at the glamorous awards ceremony, it was a bit different when Trent Cotchin and Sam Mitchell received news of their joint win four years later. Courtesy Seven News Melbourne.

The AFL is expected to outline details of the retrospective Brownlow presentation on Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. It will take place next month and will prove a low key but, according to the game's commissioners, respectful presentation in which both players will be attending with hand-picked friends, relatives and supporters.

But you can't help but conclude such decisions should have been made at least a week ago and not placed the players concerned in such a difficult position.

First Cotchin and Mitchell were given the chance to put forward to AFL Commission their own thoughts on the eventual outcome of the 2012 Brownlow result. League bosses defended that ridiculous move saying they felt forced to do so for legal reasons. The pair was told those submissions would be shown to Watson.

Either way neither player had any intention of putting forward their thoughts and neither should they have.

Once Watson handed back the medal, the joint runners-up from the 2012 count had to endure four days of speculation before the final decision that could have been handled by telephone hook-up.

This is not to compare their discomfort to Watson's heartbreak but for the AFL the rules were clear after all. Instead Mitchell in particular, having landed at his new club, was repeatedly interrogated while former Brownlow winners were publicly canvassed and some former champions even suggested the pair should not accept the medals given the heartbreaking circumstances.

Even their joint press conference felt like an afterthought. If it is correct that it was partly held up due to Cotchin being interstate surely the AFL could have flown him home to end the speculation media doorstops.

Then the negotiations continued. The accepted version is that the AFL have designed a ceremony for Mitchell and Cotchin in the first half of December. Again the ball landed back in the players' court with the competition's governors asking them what shape they would like that occasion should take.

Asking two retrospective Brownlow medallists how they would like to receive what is a momentous honour for them is not the way to go about it. Both clearly would have been happy to have the AFL draw up the details.

The situation was made even trickier for Mitchell because he has become a Hawthorn Brownlow medallist at a time when he is moving to West Coast and therefore the Hawks have not thrown themselves into supporting or assisting him.

Where Cotchin is concerned he could not lean upon his manager Craig Kelly for advice nor practical support because Kelly is clearly conflicted and trying support his heartbroken other client Watson.

Nobody wants to inflict more pain on Watson than he has already suffered. Gillon McLachlan refused to even entertain the topic of when and if his Brownlow was returned to the AFL and appears shattered by the turn of events.

But it is one thing for Watson's teammates and other greats of the game to say they will always consider him the Brownlow winner. It is another for the AFL to continue to show such hesitance in completing what clearly was a difficult task but a task that swiftly required closure.

Rules are rules and having reached the only decision open to them it was incumbent upon the game's governors to act decisively. No one is suggesting the retrospective Brownlow Medal presentation should in anyway be flaunted in front of Watson or that the celebrations be over the top.

But neither should Cotchin nor Mitchell be made to feel guilty about winning it when all they have done was finished second to a player ultimately deemed ineligible. The worst of what took place at Essendon was clearly done without the unfortunate Watson's knowledge but it was done.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-in-a-muddle-over-brownlow-presentation-20161122-gsv8fd.html

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #262 on: November 23, 2016, 04:36:10 PM »
Yes, lets tip toe around the drug cheats, we don't want to upset their royal household after their ill gotten accolades and disruption of the entire competition.
See I think the ceremony is easily done.  Have you seen the border ceremony between Pakistan and India?  Similar to that except Cotch and Mitchel gets to snatch the medal off of the drug cheats chest and slap his face for besmirching the good name and dignity of  the Brownlow.  Watson cops it on the chin and then gets on with trying to win one legit.  Nothing but dignity and grace for all involved.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #263 on: November 23, 2016, 05:05:55 PM »
 :clapping :clapping Owl is never wrong when it comes to this stuff

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #264 on: November 25, 2016, 04:01:18 AM »
Brownlow date confirmed for Mitchell, Cotchin

AFL.com.au
25 November 2016

SAM MITCHELL and Trent Cotchin will be awarded their retrospective Brownlow Medals at a function in Melbourne on Tuesday, December 13.

They were declared winners of the game's most prestigious individual honour after Essendon's Jobe Watson chose to hand his medal back earlier this month. Watson saved the AFL Commission from having to decide whether to strip the midfielder of the prize after he was found guilty of doping by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The ceremony will be part of the AFL Commission's meeting that day, when the hearing into Greater Western Sydney's charge of conduct unbecoming over the club's role in the Lachie Whitfield affair will also take place.

The presentation will start at noon, with proceedings expected to take an hour. Later in the afternoon, Mitchell and Cotchin will have a private gathering.

Mitchell was at Hawthorn in 2012 but was traded to West Coast at the end of the 2016 season, while Cotchin was named Richmond captain in 2013 after his breakout season the previous year.

Former Essendon sports scientist Stephen Dank, who was handed a lifetime ban by the AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal that prevents him from working in any sport, declared on Monday that Bombers skipper Watson "will have his Brownlow back" after a hearing to the AFL Appeals Board.

The hearing was due to take place on Monday but Dank did not show up after claiming a life-threatening condition to a family member prevented him from attending.

It will take place on December 1 as long as he provides proof of the illness to the Appeals Board by 5pm on Friday.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-24/brownlow-date-confirmed-for-mitchell-cotchin

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #265 on: December 08, 2016, 03:25:45 AM »
Ian Stewart and Shane Crawford to bestow Trent Mitchell and Sam Mitchell with 2012 Brownlow Medals

JON RALPH,
Herald Sun
December 8, 2016

CHAMPIONS Ian Stewart and Shane Crawford will crown Trent Cotchin and Sam Mitchell as joint 2012 Brownlow medallists on Tuesday.

Triple Brownlow medallist Stewart confirmed to the Herald Sun that he had been asked by Richmond to bestow the medal on Cotchin.

He is the Tigers most recent Brownlow winner (1971). Former Hawk Crawford won his Brownlow in 1999.

St Kilda and Richmond star Stewart said he has not been to a Brownlow ceremony since Barry Round’s victory in 1981.

He rarely attends AFL functions, although he was at the AFL Hall of Fame night when late Saint Darrel Baldock became an AFL legend in 2006.

The AFL Commission will announce Cotchin and Mitchell as 2012 Brownlow medallists at an hour-long ceremony at AFL House.

The players will then have a private function with invited guests.

The occasion is unprecedented and follows Jobe Watson handing back his Brownlow last month after being banned for his role in the 2012 Essendon supplements scandal.

The AFL later ruled Watson ineligible.

Stewart said he was thrilled to be involved in the ceremony because of the high regard in which he held Cotchin.

“I was asked about 10 days ago — (Richmond chief executive) Brendon Gale called me,” he said.

“I am really looking forward to it. I am a Trent Cotchin admirer. He is courageous, team-orientated. I think he’s a good leader and he’s a very, very good player.”

Stewart, 73, said that while he has moved on from his brilliant career, he was not a recluse.

“I am not anti-social but I try to keep it in balance,” he said.

“I don’t want to live in the past. You can get sucked into reminiscing and nostalgia.

“Every day is a new challenge. If you tend to live in your past life too much it stops you from developing.

“Trent is a part of present-day Richmond and a deserving winner and it’s an honour to be there.”

Crawford, who played 305 games for Hawthorn, told the Herald Sun last month that Mitchell was a worthy winner.

“It’s a bit awkward, and I’m sure the guys would feel a bit awkward about it,” he said.

“But when they look back in 20-30 years’ time they’ll be proud to be Brownlow medallists.

“You can’t rewind the clock, but I’d love the AFL to have a ceremony where we don’t talk much about why we’re in this situation.”

Mitchell and Cotchin have spoken about the awkwardness of celebrating the moment under the circumstances of Watson losing his Brownlow.

Mitchell has always polled well in the Brownlow count and Cotchin’s 2012 season was the best of his career.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/ian-stewart-and-shane-crawford-to-bestow-trent-mitchell-and-sam-mitchell-with-2012-brownlow-medals/news-story/02111a729555182cc2b4f5b17e44a6f6

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brownlow medal day for Cotch [update]
« Reply #266 on: December 13, 2016, 03:38:33 AM »
Cotch receives his Brownlow medal today  :thumbsup.

2012 Brownlow Medal presentation running sheet

12.15 - Welcome and opening to ceremony.

12.20 - Trent Cotchin highlights package.

12.23 - AFL Commission Chairman Mike Fitzpatrick toast to Trent Cotchin, introduction of Ian Stewart to present medal.

12.26 - Trent Cotchin QA and speech.

12.38 - Sam Mitchell highlights package.

12.41 - Mike Fitzpatrick toast to Sam Mitchell, introduction of Shane Crawford to present medal.

12.44 - Sam Mitchell QA and speech.

12.56 - Trent Cotchin / Sam Mitchell joint vision / photograph opportunities.

1pm (approx.) - Trent Cotchin / Sam Mitchell interview opportunities.

1.20pm (approx.) – Media wrap up at end of interviews.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-12-12/revealed-cotchins-brownlow-medal-presentation

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Brownlow medal ceremony day for Cotchin [update]
« Reply #267 on: December 13, 2016, 12:01:00 PM »
You can watch the ceremony live here (starts 12:15pm):

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-12-13/watch-cotchins-brownlow-live

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #268 on: December 13, 2016, 12:35:07 PM »
Congrats Cotch  :clapping  :thumbsup.

https://twitter.com/AFL

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #269 on: December 13, 2016, 12:37:59 PM »
Here's a video clip:

The moment Richmond star Trent Cotchin was awarded the 2012 #Brownlow Medal moments ago.

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/808485285709238272

https://twitter.com/AFL