Author Topic: Our low tackling stats  (Read 4067 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Our low tackling stats
« on: April 08, 2013, 04:29:18 PM »
The only club that had less tackles than us on the weekend was bruise free footy Melbourne. We averaged under 2 tackles per player for the whole game against the Saints. About the only main criticism you can make so far is tackling stats are low.

Plenty has been said and written, but we'll concentrate on one aspect: Tackling. The Demons had just 35. The rest of the comp went as follows: Hawthorn 65, West Coast 52, Collingwood 62, Carlton 64, Geelong 72, North Melbourne 72, Port Adelaide 55, GWS 53, Essendon 61, Brisbane 65, Adelaide 59, Sydney 73, Gold Coast 63, Western Bulldogs 61, Fremantle 63, St Kilda 55 and Richmond a lowly 41. Out of all that, only Richmond was the surprise.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/the-tackle-collingwood-is-everything-the-hapless-dees-are-not/story-fnelctok-1226614439926

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Our low tackling stats
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 04:33:02 PM »
What was the possession count? We seemed to dominate general play outside of centre clearances. If we had more of the ball that would explain it a bit. You can't tackle guys without the ball unless you're Jones and you're tackling Cotchin.  >:(

Ruanaidh

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 04:55:54 PM »
Matters not if we are winning ;)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 05:11:14 PM »
Grigg.
Houli.

:whistle

tony_montana

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 07:10:15 PM »
What was the possession count? We seemed to dominate general play outside of centre clearances. If we had more of the ball that would explain it a bit. You can't tackle guys without the ball unless you're Jones and you're tackling Cotchin.  >:(

Essendon had about 5000 more possessions than the dee's and still managed 61 tackles.

Article is right, we need to lift our tackle count... no matter what spin you put on it, it is too low. Houli is a player I have backed the whole time hes been here but 0 tackles over the first 2 weeks is just disgusting and needs addressing

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 07:20:03 PM »
Matters not if we are winning ;)

Yeh sort of agree
Grigg.
Houli.

:whistle

Definitely agree

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 08:41:23 PM »
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

TigerTimeII

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 08:50:06 PM »
first to the ball means u have less tackles

means nothing tackle count if u are first to the ball and win clearances and contested footy

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 08:57:02 PM »

means nothing tackle count if u are first to the ball and win clearances and contested footy

True but on Friday we didn't win the clearances and that is bigger concern than our tackle count IMHO
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

tony_montana

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 09:06:43 PM »

it means something when its that low

TigerTimeII

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 09:07:21 PM »

True but on Friday we didn't win the clearances and that is bigger concern than our tackle count IMHO

centre clearances we were smashed but thats not because we didnt tackle its because our mids were roving to maric  and maric was owned, they  were very stupid on friday night

TigerTimeII

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 09:12:32 PM »

means jack poo just like inside 50 stat
we often won inside 50 stats and got smashed in the past

get to the ball first and maintain possession u will never have high tackle counts

its tackling when it matters that counts

holding the ball inside fwd 50 for example

if we get to the ball first and make the play how the stuff will we have higher tackle counts

teams the play from behind and get to the ball second have high counts

quality not quantity just like inside 50s

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 09:14:41 PM »

Agree Wiiliam and furthermore X Bombers were first to the ball all night and got 61 tackles. Whilst I love our endeavour need to get our tackle count higher. May not cost us this weekend against the Dogs but it may cost us savagely against the Pies Dockers and Cats in subsequent weeksafter that if not addressed properly.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 09:20:58 PM »
if they tackled so much it means the dees got to ball first then shat themselves

cant judge the bombers on that game

tony_montana

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 09:27:48 PM »

means jack poo just like inside 50 stat
we often won inside 50 stats and got smashed in the past

get to the ball first and maintain possession u will never have high tackle counts

its tackling when it matters that counts

holding the ball inside fwd 50 for example

if we get to the ball first and make the play how the stuff will we have higher tackle counts

teams the play from behind and get to the ball second have high counts

quality not quantity just like inside 50s

Its 40 stuffing tackles X, stop defending the undefendable, its too low and we need to lift. Window dress it all you want, but end of the day its not good enough.
and your having a laff re melbourne getting to the ball first against the bombers.