Author Topic: 9 wins and 5 losses  (Read 4034 times)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 9 wins and 5 losses
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 12:17:34 PM »
One thing that we can't seem to do yet is that when the game is not getting played our way, is shut it right down and crank the defensive pressure right up. A bit like what the pies did to the blues. It got a bit free flowing so they stopped it.

Yep, I went to the Carl/Coll game too.

Carl dominated the first qtr but somehow the Pies were only 10-15 points down, whatever it was.

Mate of mine made a great call. The biggest difference between a top 4 side (Still think Coll are top 4 quality, they are better than Essendon) is that when the heat is on and the tempo is against them, they are able to weather the storm and not let the margin blow out. They will eventually have the tempo swing there way and thats where they really put the opposition to the sword.

We've been criticised for a while for not being able to really kill off an opponent. Today was a good example of failing to weather a storm. Its the next step we need to take if we are legit.

Agree. Need to be able to stem the flow when things not going well and also need to be able to lift in a game when things not going well. We do not want to be known as a side of downhill skiers. Need to develop a culture of never say die. Also need to improve on our kicking for goal. In today's game there will be always an opportunity to get back in the game you just have to grab it when it arises. 

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 12:44:52 PM »
Club defensive programs are well short of elite clubs hence our losses this season have been heavier than last. We are like Geelong in Gf's in the 1990's get ting to the big dance and falling horribly short.
It may be finals or bust for us this season and there may be some truth in that but until our defensive structure stands up and is at a level to make us competitive and keep us in games when the game is played on the opposition terms the parallel with Geelong's failures in the 90's.

Personally I think we will play finals this year but lamentably results such as yesterday's may be the norm until the side develops further and some players of quality develop or are brought to the club by other means.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 01:28:47 PM »
Club defensive programs are well short of elite clubs hence our losses this season have been heavier than last. We are like Geelong in Gf's in the 1990's get ting to the big dance and falling horribly short.
It may be finals or bust for us this season and there may be some truth in that but until our defensive structure stands up and is at a level to make us competitive and keep us in games when the game is played on the opposition terms the parallel with Geelong's failures in the 90's.

Personally I think we will play finals this year but lamentably results such as yesterday's may be the norm until the side develops further and some players of quality develop or are brought to the club by other means.
Geelong was a bit stiff in the 90's.
Probably can include '89 with that too.

'89. Played one the best teams ever assembled.
'92. Played a WA state team.
'94. Played a WA state team.
'95. Played the Cheating Scum who was found to be cheating. AGAIN! 

Great team but a bit unlucky as well IMO.
The club that keeps giving.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 01:51:18 PM »

Geelong was a bit stiff in the 90's.
Probably can include '89 with that too.

'89. Played one the best teams ever assembled.
'92. Played a WA state team.
'94. Played a WA state team.
'95. Played the Cheating Scum who was found to be cheating. AGAIN! 

Great team but a bit unlucky as well IMO.

Unlucky in 89 but Hawthorn finished with 14 fit men despite Gazza's heroics.
In 92 they were five goals up just before half time and lost by 5 goals choke choke choke.
Played their GF in 94 denying Nought and Carey their rightful place and lost by 80 points.
In 1995 downhill skied the Dogs and us in the finals by about 180 points combined and by quarter time had already played their hand and were nowhere. Choke choke choke.

That's us if we don't get our defensive structures right. Attacking we are great when the game is on others terms we fold like a pack of cards. Defence wins flags look at West Coast in that era, Carlton, Sydney, Geelong, Collingwood more recently. We are for the most part competitive now, we need to up the ante and ensure we stay there and forge on making our defensive structures more solid, accountable and more difficult to penetrate.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 02:42:45 PM »
Nafan Thompson made a reasonably good point.

North and Tigers are pretty similar (I agree), Tigers had won for a month straight. Thats about our limit. We aren't a Hawthorn that can go on with a 8-10 winning streak yet. 4 games in a row is a good return. Roos were just better on the day and clearly wanted it more.

Shouldn't be ashamed losing to North as they about par with us, its just the manner of the way we lost, cause those losses were long behind us.
Go Tigers!

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 09:26:06 PM »
Should be 14-0. No excuses.

:clapping exactly we are in a no excuses season so wtf are we doing losing games

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 09:41:58 PM »
Need to come out and respond next week. I think we will.
lose to the suns, however, and I will flip my t@s.

There is still opportunities to beat some good sides this season.

gerkin greg

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 10:38:07 AM »
Let's face it, you can't do much for the rest of the season from 6th and 9-5

time to put the cue in the rack and start planning for next year and hopefully finish as low as we can, with any luck we can turn it around and get that win-loss to 9-13

Rampstar

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 11:10:05 AM »
Let's face it, you can't do much for the rest of the season from 6th and 9-5

time to put the cue in the rack and start planning for next year and hopefully finish as low as we can, with any luck we can turn it around and get that win-loss to 9-13

theres nuffin like early picks gerks. its time to go the tank  ;D

gerkin greg

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 11:27:46 AM »
get Esso back on board  :cheers

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 12:46:01 PM »

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 12:48:30 PM »
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 01:20:38 PM »
I miss the Esso servos

I miss the Leyland P76 but we move on
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 03:42:27 PM »
get Esso back on board  :cheers

They're still paying off the Valdez spill.   :whistle

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 09:00:13 PM »
Back on topic please, enough talk of cars, that's a warning for the lot of you