Author Topic: Richmond footballer Jake King snubs club bikie ban on Toby Mitchell (H-Sun)  (Read 16148 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond star Jake King gave bandidos boss Toby Mitchell VIP entry into MCG rooms

Jon Ralph
    September 13, 2013

RICHMOND has told firebrand forward Jake King to end an association with Bandidos boss Toby Mitchell.

King invited Mitchell into the Richmond rooms at the MCG while sidelined with injury after the Round 20 win over Brisbane.

The club was quickly made aware of the bikie enforcer's presence on the day and later told King the association was totally unacceptable.

Richmond has also told its entire playing list how important it is that they do not associate with criminals in any way.

Club officials have played down the link between Mitchell and King, saying they are casual acquaintances rather than close friends.

But given the AFL's determination to crack down on organised crime in sport, Richmond has acted swiftly.

Mitchell has twice survived attempts on his life.

He was shot in March and also five times in November 2011 outside a Brunswick gym.

A Tigers spokesman said yesterday King now knew his responsibilities.

"Jake has been counselled specifically on that issue and our playing group are counselled more broadly about off-field issues, as would be the case at all clubs,'' he said.

The AFL is particularly sensitive about any links to criminals given the Australian Crime Commission's February report warning of the potential danger of criminals consorting with elite athletes given "relationships … can be exploited by criminals to corrupt the athlete''.

"Overseas experience has also demonstrated that criminal identities and groups will invest years developing such relationships, with the ultimate aim of having the athlete participate in activities such as match-fixing,'' it stated.

There is no accusation of any links of any criminal nature between Mitchell and King, but it illustrates why Richmond was proactive in warning its players.

Richmond says there is no connection between Mitchell and midfielder Dustin Martin's handcuffs salute in the loss to Carlton.

He received a suspended $2000 fine from the AFL, which is cracking down on those gestures given the sensitivities involved.

King, affectionately dubbed "The Pushup King'', has a reputation as one of footy's more colourful characters.

In August 2011 he was warned not to breach an intervention order after allegedly threatening a man, but was not charged with any offence.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-star-jake-king-gave-bandidos-boss-toby-mitchell-vip-entry-into-mcg-rooms/story-fnelctok-1226718073333

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Should've got him to threaten the Carltank players before the game
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Dick move by King, gotta be smarter. Thought he was more grown up than that.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
There are thousands of kids who would to love to get into the rooms after the game , many of whom may be disadvantaged. Invite them in instead.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
 :facepalm

:booboo

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Does Toby even barrack for Richmond?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
People wonder why good players don't wanna play AFL football,  Because they have a right to control their life outside of football. fans think its all great being a high profile footballer in fact to some its hell.
l'm totally against any employer trying to control ones life outside of work. l see it no different than someone controlling another person in a relationship. just wrong, if Kingy wants to be a Bandido or a RockStar its his choice.
l would walk away from any job trying to control my life outside of work. They have rights

sorry must go wife wants me  ;D

Dougeytherichmondfan

People wonder why good players don't wanna play AFL football,  Because they have a right to control their life outside of football. fans think its all great being a high profile footballer in fact to some its hell.
l'm totally against any employer trying to control ones life outside of work. l see it no different than someone controlling another person in a relationship. just wrong, if Kingy wants to be a Bandido or a RockStar its his choice.
l would walk away from any job trying to control my life outside of work. They have rights

Sorry mate, that's absolute crap. Jake King represents Richmond - a club and a brand. Players know this, that's just the way it is. I'm pretty peeed off with him over this. No judgement towards the bandidos or anyone involved, but they're a known criminal organisation. Any association with Richmond hurts everything about the club, INCLUDING those nerdish supporters who spend hours a day on football forum websites. If you want to be involved in something like that, don't do it whilst playing for the club. Being an AFL footballer isn't a job, its a lifestyle. Perhaps players need to be further drilled with this idea in mind before they put pen to paper. I'm really peeed off here.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame

True to some extent but Richmond does have the right to control who does and who does not enter the rooms.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
l don't see anything wrong with Kingy who is always bringing the 1% into his game  ;D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
RICHMOND star forward Jack Riewoldt says Bandidos boss Toby Mitchell is a "pretty good fella" after he met him in the club's rooms at the MCG.

Firebrand forward Jake King invited Mitchell into the rooms while he was sidelined with injury after the Round 20 win over Brisbane.

Richmond was quickly made aware of the bikie enforcer's presence on the day and later told King the association was totally unacceptable.

Riewoldt told Gold FM today: "I did see him in there, he was in there with his mum who's a mad Richmond supporter.

"I had a couple of words with him ... I think Jake's friends with him and he just came in."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-star-jake-king-gave-bandidos-boss-toby-mitchell-vip-entry-into-mcg-rooms/story-fnelctok-1226718073333

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger's invite to Bandido bikie 'pretty stupid'

By Matt Thompson
afl.com.au
11:00am AEST Friday, September 13, 2013

AFL CHIEF executive Andrew Demetriou says a Richmond player's decision to invite a senior bikie figure into the club's dressing rooms was "pretty stupid".

Demetriou said he would personally contact Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale club on Friday, after it emerged Bandidos leader Toby Mitchell had visited the rooms with an injured Jake King after the side's round 20 win over the Brisbane Lions.

He said the League was concerned people of certain backgrounds had the potential to "infiltrate" the code.

"We know after the past 12 months, from our code's perspective, it's not what we want," Demetriou told reporters in Melbourne. 

"I'm surprised given the level of awareness, the efforts we've gone to with each club, to explain the importance of this particular issue … in fact I think it's pretty stupid."

Richmond has reportedly warned King he should cut ties with Mitchell.

It comes as the AFL ramps up efforts to protect the integrity of the code.

The League is set to seek greater powers from the Federal and State Governments to allow access to information collected by police and other authorities.

"People want to watch a game that's pure, and the potential or the threat of any match fixing or information sharing has the potential to erode people's confidence in the game," Demetriou said.

"We've taken every measure possible to mitigate that risk.

"At this point in time, both we and the police are frustrated by that inability to do that."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-13/no-deal-on-reid-demetriou

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
RICHMOND star forward Jack Riewoldt says Bandidos boss Toby Mitchell is a "pretty good fella" after he met him in the club's rooms at the MCG.

Firebrand forward Jake King invited Mitchell into the rooms while he was sidelined with injury after the Round 20 win over Brisbane.

Richmond was quickly made aware of the bikie enforcer's presence on the day and later told King the association was totally unacceptable.

Riewoldt told Gold FM today: "I did see him in there, he was in there with his mum who's a mad Richmond supporter.

"I had a couple of words with him ... I think Jake's friends with him and he just came in."

Jack shut up, club says they aint friends you say they are  ::)

:booboo

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
WGAF. Not wanting him in the rooms is fine but telling someone to cut ties with a bloke is a disgrace. Kingy doesn't tell you duds how to run the club.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Martin & Connors ::)