Author Topic: 2013 NAB AFL Draft  (Read 14708 times)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 2013 NAB AFL Draft
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2013, 03:04:38 PM »
@Claw

I like all the guys you have first except Bonts. I like Dunstan and Salem there too.

32. I'm happy with Hampson there. The only ones I'll be annoyed if they're there are Templeton and Impey.

50. Bourke/Conlon/Karpany

68. I like Sokol as well. Hewett from SA another.

Wilson is looking like being gone before 32 from what I've heard. Otherwise I like him at pick 50.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2013, 04:40:44 PM »
Acres & Garlett would be a top result.  Former a real chance, latter next to none though.

Fill needs with State Leaguers like Shane Nelson. Hell, even Willie Wheeler would be an upgrade on Nahas.

More dual-sided players too please.

Surprises me that for a club that supposedly worships at the altar of the "moneyball" fad we don't look at proven performers who constantly get overlooked on the basis of non-skills related things like being "too short" or having an allegedly dangerous hobby with later picks. Far less risky than the "good player but injury-prone" philosophy that, IMO, translates poorly from Baseball to Australian Rules.

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2013, 04:58:26 PM »
Good chance garlett will be around by our 2nd pick, I reckon

Then iagain I reckon there is a good chance we'd overlook him

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
Good chance garlett will be around by our 2nd pick, I reckon

Then iagain I reckon there is a good chance we'd overlook him

Could go anywhere from round one to the rookie draft but there's next to no chance we'll take him.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2013, 08:57:05 PM »
Draft experts Jay Clark and Sam Landsberger give their thoughts ahead of the AFL national draft

Sam Landsberger, Jay Clark
    October 27, 2013 7:30PM

How good is the draft?
Recruiters wanting run-and-carry midfielders would be licking their chops at the top 20. There's plenty of pocket rockets at the top end who confidently tuck the ball under their arm and use it well, such as Kelly, Billings, Hartung and Taylor. But it's light on for genuine key position players, leaving clubs looking to next year to nab one of the many available big forwards.
Overall, the depth this year is only average, thinning the talent pool after about pick 30. Maybe it will produce 10-15 200-game players.

Will Dayle Garlett get drafted?
Earlier in the year, it was a resounding yes, but clubs remain nervous about drafting the silky midfield-forward from WA. On talent, he might be top-15. A smooth-moving outside runner who has shades of Harley Bennell, kicking almost 50 goals in the WAFL seniors this year.
But defensively he can be poor and many clubs, such as West Coast, have again put a line through his name. In our view, he is worth taking the chance, at a strong club, with a late pick.
There will be lots of busts from this year's draft. His best chance might be at Geelong or Hawthorn.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/draft-experts-jay-clark-and-sam-landsberger-gives-their-predictions-ahead-of-the-afl-national-draft/story-fnelctok-1226747756197

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »
Only 55-60 live picks expected to be used in this year's draft.

Draft numbers set to fall in shallow pool

Callum Twomey 
afl.com.au
October 28, 2013 5:34 PM

THERE is set to be fewer than 50 players from the country's Under-18 competitions join the AFL via next month's draft.

Clubs are expecting a total of approximately 55 live picks at the NAB AFL Draft, with a handful of those likely to be mature-aged players from state level when names are read out at the Gold Coast.

It is unlikely the draft will exceed many more than 60 live selections.

This year's pool is considered strong at the top but most recruiters believe it thins quickly, leaving a majority of clubs to take only the required three live picks.

Up to 14 clubs will go down that path, with Adelaide a club to take only two live selections, while the Brisbane Lions have acquired six selections within the first two rounds.

The total does not include rookie elevations, which are confirmed on draft night.

Clubs will have a greater idea of how many picks will be used on Thursday, when the first list lodgements are due.

The number will also be impacted by the amount of delisted free agents signed before the draft. The first delisted free agency window opens on Friday, November 1.

Last year there was 70 live picks used, and in 2011 there was 75.

While this year's draft does drop away, clubs are also mindful of the talent available at next year's draft, which at this stage looks advanced on the 2013 crop.

Therefore, many clubs are focused on using next year's draft to add more fresh faces to their club, with the expectation of a deeper talent base.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-28/draft-numbers-set-to-fall?utm_medium=RSS

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2013, 11:41:11 PM »
Gysberts just delisted by North. Worth a rookie spot? Have to wonder how a kid who gets 26 possessions on debut - against Geelong no less- and two Rising star nominations in two years, becomes a two-time reject two years later. Apparently just couldn't put on any weight at all - too bad for him he never got drafted by Richmond - he & Shane Edwards could've spotted for each other.

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2013, 09:30:53 AM »
No

gerkin greg

« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2013, 12:57:42 PM »
Willie Fat Boy Rioli Jnr worth a rookie spot?

A lot to work with  ;D

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2013, 01:07:46 PM »
We gave Relton a crack. Why not?

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2013, 01:15:03 PM »
Willie Fat Boy Rioli Jnr worth a rookie spot?

A lot to work with  ;D

McDonalds already on his shorts  :clapping
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2013, 03:16:26 PM »
It will be a pleasant change. The club will be trying to make him lose weight while they try to get everyone else to put weight on!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2013, 03:24:58 PM »
We gave Relton a crack. Why not?

Looks like he might have eaten Relton.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2013, 04:04:20 PM »
He likes a sausage roll or five.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2013, 04:13:43 PM »
Recruiters expecting 'unpredictable' draft

Callum Twomey 
October 29, 2013

ONE OF the most "unpredictable" drafts in recent years is expected next month, with clubs unable to put a line through who will feature in the first 30 picks.

While the first batch of 12-14 selections at the NAB AFL Draft are unlikely to feature any major shocks, many recruiters believe there will be some surprises in the next group as clubs reach for the players they want.

Such is the evenness of the pool from picks 15 to 30, clubs think there will be a group of players in that bracket who some rate as possible first-round selections, and who some wouldn't draft at all.

"It will be very unpredictable from about pick 15 onwards," one recruiter told AFL.com.au.

Another recruiter spoke of a large "variance" in that draft range, meaning the rankings of those players was widely mixed according to each club.

In essence, the group of 'certain' draftees is smaller and the batch of 'possibles' is a lot bigger than most years, making it more difficult for each club to forecast how the cards will fall on draft night at the Gold Coast.

A consistent view is that clubs will start to draft on a needs basis earlier than before, meaning a number of taller prospects could be taken in the 20s and early 30s, even though they may not be the best available player.

This could have a ripple effect, a reason why some clubs believe they will be able to get the player they want if they hold a later pick in the third or early in the fourth round, despite the shallowness of the draft.   

Talls pushing into the earlier stages would push back some other midfielders, who at this stage may be more accomplished players.

It has been spoken of regularly throughout the year that it is a midfielders' draft, with the talented smalls outnumbering the talls by some way.

But if clubs need to add a key position type to their list others believe a quality midfielder could be available later than they might have expected.

Four clubs – Greater Western Sydney, the Brisbane Lions, St Kilda and Gold Coast – hold three or more picks inside the top 30.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-29/unpredictable-draft-expected