Author Topic: Shaun Hampson / Hammertime [merged]  (Read 320276 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers show interest in Carlton ruckman Shaun Hampson (Age)
« Reply #165 on: October 07, 2013, 02:30:56 PM »
2.17pm: The latest on Carlton ruckman Shaun Hampson via Trade Radio.

Hampson's manager Michael Quinlan says Hampson is keen to get to Richmond if a good deal can be done.

There is no animosity between Hampson and Carlton.

He's still contracted for another year but according to Quinlan Richmond are very interested in Hampson, he is open to moving to the Tigers and the Blues are compliant in the process at present.

Sounds like it's becoming unlikely he'll head to Hawthorn - which is also in need of a ruckman - if he leaves Carlton at all.

http://www.afl.com.au/trade-period/trade-radio

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2013, 02:47:35 PM »
Latest from the HUN (ED: seems like it's a slow day at HQ down at Docklands  ;D)
=========================================================

Carlton ruckman Shaun Hampson wants to be traded to Richmond
by: Al Paton
•October 07, 2013 2:29PM

A DEAL to send Carlton ruckman Shaun Hampson to Richmond could be completed within days.

The 201cm ruck-forward is set to provide badly needed back-up for Tigers big man Ivan Maric.

Hampson, 25, has played 63 matches at the Blues but failed to crack the senior team after playing in six of the first seven games this year.

He is behind Matthew Kreuzer and Matthew Warnock in the Blues' ruck pecking order and manager Michael Quinlan said today Hampson is keen for greater opportunities.

"We have been in discussions with the Richmond Football Club," Quinlan told Trade Radio.

"He is contracted for another year at Carlton but if he was to be traded that's the destination he would choose and I'm hopeful something will be completed sooner rather than later.

"Carlton are fairly open minded about it too which suggests maybe it's a good move for him.

"If he was able to secure a longer-term deal at Richmond with a bigger role to play then that's maybe something he should do."

Quinlan said Carlton was working to get the best deal for Hampson.

"I want to make it clear there is no negativity coming from Shaun or Carlton towards each other.

"How many ruckmen have they got at Carlton? They've got three established and two coming through - there's a number of ruck options there and Richmond is the one saying they would like him."

The Tigers may have to part with their second-round draft pick (currently No.28) to get the deal done.

Quinlan said he wasn't talking to any other clubs about Hampson.

Hawthorn, which has been mentioned as a possible suitor, has its sights firmly set on young Brisbane ruckman Billy Longer.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-ruckman-shaun-hampson-wants-to-be-traded-to-richmond/story-fn69a32t-1226734180597
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #167 on: October 07, 2013, 03:00:18 PM »
Quinlan: We've been in discussions with Richmond. He's (Hampson) contracted but if he was to leave that would be the destination.

Hampson: Carlton are fairly open minded which suggests it could be a good move for him to make.

Quinlan: If he was able to secure a longer term deal with a bigger role, maybe that's the way he should go. A bit of both (ruck/fwd role)

Quinlan: The development at Richmond is fantastic. Mark Williams, Brendan Lade and Damien (Hardwick).

Appears Hawthorn is out of the race for Shaun Hampson. His manager Michael Quinlan has told us it's Richmond if he's to leave Carlton

https://twitter.com/traderadio

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2013, 03:01:50 PM »
I'm starting to form the opinion that draft picks in general are over rated, and am convinced that when it comes to trading, the value draft picks after the first round are overrated by most people.

There is very little difference in the success rate between 2nd and 3rd rounders, although that is not a good way to look at picks, as there is a spread of 18 picks for one round. better of to look at what number pick it is, rather than what round.

This year our 2nd and 3rd picks are 28 and 46.
In the 6 years to 2005, the success rate in getting a 100 game player from picks 20-30  was 25% and for for picks 40-50 was 35%.

These figures are slightly twisted due to an anomaly in 2003 where no players in the 20-30 group went on to forge a half decent career, and 7 in the other group did. allowing for that, the success rate is very similar.

I'm a no sure of the value of comparing the average number of games played, but for these groups up to 2005 it was 30 and 24 respectively.

Either way, you are not giving up much to trade these picks.

On another note, If hampson comes then its curtains for the big O
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #169 on: October 07, 2013, 03:05:22 PM »
Say hello to your soon-to-be recruit, Richmond Fans. Shaun Hampson is set to land at the Tigers today as the trade period kicks off for Richmond's second round selection.

Terry Wallace believes that if Richmond had to chose between Shaun Hampson and Paul Chapman, Wallace believes that structure-wise, the Tigers must go with Hampson given he is young, fit and could benefit hugely from the development coaches who have turned the likes of Grigg and Maric into consistent players.

Richmond fans - who would you rather; Chapman or Hampson?

https://www.facebook.com/AFLSeasonAndOffSeasonNews

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #170 on: October 07, 2013, 03:23:35 PM »
Stench of "locked and loaded" all over this.

Carlton bend us over three times in two months.

Disgusted.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #171 on: October 07, 2013, 03:23:42 PM »
Issue for mine with him coming is its looking like it'll have to be pick 28 that gets him across. We got McBean at 33 last year?? So we may be giving up a decent pick for a spare parts ruckman. Will they be looking to play Vickery, Maric AND Hampson. Well, interesting to see. Capped interchange may force us to, but I don't like the sound of it.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #172 on: October 07, 2013, 03:27:05 PM »
I did a little vomit in my mouth but there you go. At least it isn't another player from SA.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #173 on: October 07, 2013, 03:32:59 PM »
The fact that the deal isn't done yet makes me think we're playing hard ball with our second pick.
Our compensation pick yes but pick 28 is a big no for me!!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #174 on: October 07, 2013, 03:40:46 PM »
Can someone please explain to me how Carlton could've possibly been playing "hardball" with a third string ruckman, one year out from free agency, that no other club wanted?

Miller-esque panic buying at it's finest.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #175 on: October 07, 2013, 03:41:05 PM »
The fact that the deal isn't done yet makes me think we're playing hard ball with our second pick.
Our compensation pick yes but pick 28 is a big no for me!!

But what number is the comp pick? It may be lower.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

the claw

« Reply #176 on: October 07, 2013, 03:55:37 PM »
why dont we target a kid like darcy cameron with pick 28 and offer wce our third rounder for  23yo callum sinclair who lets face it has shown probably more as a ruckman than hampson ever has.
we get two longer term ruckmen one who can cover for maric  and we get probably the best rated junior  genuine ruckman in the nd if he falls to us.
we can make room for  these two just by chopping stephenson or has reportedly retired  and derickx.

i dont get why we have to take a for/ruck. what we really need is one of a genuine key forward and one of a  genuine #1 ruckman. we have mcbean and vickery who can give what hampson does.

failing any of the above id be more than happy to offer up pick 11 for billy longer hes worth that pick and he comes with two yrs of development.

bloody hell pick 28 for hampson what are they thinking. im all for trading for players but ffs not at any cost.

and for those who will bring maric up. i see no comparison except in their age. ivan had showed he was a more than competetive ruckman hampson has shown what exactly.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #177 on: October 07, 2013, 04:02:56 PM »
Per AFL web-site done
================

Hampson to join Tigers
Nick Bowen  October 7, 2013 3:56 PM

SHAUN Hampson's move from Carlton to Richmond is a done deal with the official paperwork set to be lodged on Monday evening.

Hampson will join the Tigers in exchange for Richmond's second-round pick, currently No. 28 overall.

Carlton football manager Andrew McKay confirmed the deal had been done after emerging from trade talks at Etihad Stadium on Monday afternoon.

"That paperwork will hopefully be put in over the next couple of hours," McKay said.

"I think Shauny's about the only one that's been done today.

"Just for the record, Shaun's had a fantastic career for us – a tremendous fella, and valuable for our footy club."

"But he'll get great opportunity at Richmond and we wish him all the best."

Richmond football chief Dan Richardson said Hampson would support No.1 ruckman Ivan Maric and allow Tyrone Vickery to spend more time in attack.

"Tyrone's been playing mostly forward anyway. If Hampson is to come in we're certainly looking for him to complement our ruck stocks and share the load with Ivan," Richardson said.

Richardson said Hampson was Richmond's "main focus" for the Gillette AFL Trade Period, dismissing reports linking the Tigers with delisted Geelong veteran Paul Chapman.

"I don't know where that comes from actually. We haven't really had any discussion at all about Chappy," Richardson said.

"So best of luck to him, but not for us at this stage."

Richardson said Chapman, 32, was not a good fit for Richmond's young list.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-07/tigers-talking-with-hampson
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #178 on: October 07, 2013, 04:03:17 PM »
In all honest everyone, lets wait and see, he is only 25, probably the biggest ruckman we have had for a long time, he is a goal kicker....

If he can maintain his body and fitness, well hell, he could be worth more than pick 28...

Lets wait before we lynch him, he hasn't even signed yet.

Yes pick 28 is a gamble, but it could go either way.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #179 on: October 07, 2013, 04:05:27 PM »
I can't type........I'm typless!!!