Author Topic: Who should we choose with our first draft pick?  (Read 37632 times)

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Who should we choose with our first draft pick?
« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2013, 10:36:03 PM »
Saw about 5 seconds of sharenburg, he won't slip past top 5 , bugger me we d be unstoppable with him on the list :shh

We'd be unstoppable with Godzilla on the list too bojo  :shh
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 07:10:05 AM by Eat_em_Alive »
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2013, 10:56:53 PM »
Scharenberg looks a class above Salem to me - he & Aish are clearly the two best kids in this draft IMO. Acres really should be rated alongside them too and I suspect quite a few clubs are going to regret overlooking him.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:43:02 PM by Nihilistic Tiger »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2013, 03:34:19 AM »
Brett Anderson's top 20 from the Inside Football draft edition. He has us taking Lennon at pick 12 with Salem gone at 6 to the Pies.

1. GWS Giants
Tom Boyd | Eastern Ranges
Described as a once in a generation player, Boyd will quickly make the Giants forget about missing out on Lance Franklin to their crosstown rivals. His is a great complement to Jeremy Cameron.

2. GWS Giants
Josh Kelly l Sandringham Dragons
Kelly could well have gone in last year's mini-draft but he will add same class on the outside for the Giants and his superb running capabilities will rival that of Tom Scully.

3. St Kilda
Jack Billings | Oakleigh Chargers
Of all the midfielders in this draft, Billings is clearly a potential match winner. He will move from half-forward into the onball rotation as his tank improves, but he is a fine talent.

4. Western Bulldogs
James Aish | Norwood
Aish could well fall to Gold Coast at pick No.5, or even the Pies, but talk is that tha Dogs will be hard pressed to pass up a classy outside ball user of his impeccable bloodlines.

5. Gold Coast Suns
Kade Kolodjashnij | Launceston
The man known as KK has shot up draft boards recently and could even be taken by the Dogs at pick No. 4. If he becomes a Sun, look for them to also take twin brother Jake at pick 27.

6. Collingwood
Christian Salem | Sandringham Dragons
The Pies traded up to this pick to ensure they got their man. Salem is more likely to be taken before pick 10, so they pull the trigger early and add some class to their midfield.

7. Brisbane
Cameron McCarthy | South Fremantle
 The first major curve ball of the draft with Brisbane adding to its key forward stocks despite the addition of Jackson Paine. It may be a slight reach, but with so many picks  later on, they can bolster their midfield there.

8. North Melbourne
Luke McDonald | Werribee
The son of former Roo and football boss Donald has honed his game in the VFL this year and should be ready to step in at half-back from Round 1, 2014. Pick No.8 is the right value for a player of his talents.

9. Melbourne
Matthew Scharenberg | Glenelg
Considered a top five lock mid year, the rangy utility slips to Melbourne due to the rise of Kolodjashnij and the Lions' punt on McCarthy. Scharenberg has raised a few "go home" concerns with clubs but he is amazing value here for the Dees.

10. Collingwood
Marcus Bontempelli | Northern Knights
The Pies may take the punt that Brisbane and Melbourne pass on the bodied midfielder leaving them with both their main draft targets. His height at the stoppages will be a great asset.

11. West Coast
Dom Sheed | Subiaco
West Coast traded back safe in the knowtedge that its main target would still be available. This is as close to a lock as there can be this far out unless they fall in love with Blake Acres.

12. Richmond
Ben Lennon | Northern Knights
Richmond will be targeting a midfielder and can get another elite kick in Lennon. He is good overhead and having played mostly forward adds a point of difierence to the Tiger mix.

13.Carlton
Nathan Freeman | Sandringham Dragons
Carlton has said it will be looking to add run to its midfield and Freeman has the perfect mix of power and speed to give the Blues a point of difference in the middle.

14. GWS Giants
Torn Cutler | Oakleigh Chargers
The Giants are keen to add to their defense back six and while Cutler didn't play much in 2013 due to injuries, his form in 2012 was as good as any. His rebound and run will be vital when GWS starts to contend.

15. Sydney Swans
Zac Merrett | Sandringham Dragons
Another left-field selection and possibly a slight reach but Merrett has a huge upside. With the recent additions of Kurt Tippetl and Lance Franklin, the Swans need a smart ground-level player to clean up the crumbs.

16. Geelong
Blake Acres | West Perth
The Cats love their big-bodied midfielders and with the loss of Joel Corey can get another Western Australian to eventually take his place. Don't rule out Tom Langdon here as a bolter, however, or Zac Jones.

17. Fremantle
Trent Dumont | Norwood
The Dockers are said to want a key position player, but with McCarthy gone, add to their inside midfield stocks with Dumont. He is ready to play right away, which makes him perfect for a club in premiership mode.

18.St Kilda
Lewis Taylor | Geelong Falcons
If Taylor were 10cm taller, he would have been off the board in the top handful, but he is value here. He can play in the middle or across half forward and has enough tricks to make up for his size. Billy Hartung is also in the mix.

19. St Kilda
Matt Crouch | North Ballarat Rebels
St Kilda continues to revamp its mdfield by adding a clearance machine and genuine footballer in Crouch. He is not as athletic as some of his peers but is a ball-winning animal who can serve the Saints well.

20. Gold Coast Suns   
Zac Jones | Dandenong Stingrays
The brother of Demon Nathan could well be off the board by now with Geetong also an admirer, but the  Suns are looking for a running defender who can provide grunt.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #168 on: November 03, 2013, 05:14:19 AM »
Would've thought that Acres and Freeman would come right into the mix at pick 12 if still available.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #169 on: November 03, 2013, 02:48:31 PM »
Dunstan

Very slow and unskilled

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #170 on: November 03, 2013, 03:17:08 PM »
Best case scenario:

12 - Acres

50 - Garlett

68 - Cain

Worst case scenario:

12 - Lennon

50 - Thomas

68 - Pettard upgrade

(I fear the latter scenario is the most likely of the two.)

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #171 on: November 03, 2013, 03:47:50 PM »
Best case scenario:

12 - Acres

50 - Garlett

68 - Cain

Worst case scenario:

12 - Lennon

50 - Thomas

68 - Pettard upgrade

Pettard is already on the list.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #172 on: November 03, 2013, 04:39:28 PM »
Best case scenario:

12 - Acres

50 - Garlett

68 - Cain

Worst case scenario:

12 - Lennon

50 - Thomas

68 - Pettard upgrade

Pettard is already on the list.

Must've replaced Tuck. We'll probably upgrade Darrou then.

- Thomas Sowell

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #173 on: November 03, 2013, 07:29:07 PM »
I hope Lennon is there, hoping for Lennon, Salam or Freeman in that order under one of the highly fancied drops - I like Salam and Lennon but we look like getting a good one

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #174 on: November 03, 2013, 07:30:56 PM »
Seems like after the first five or so its all a bit up in the air for the top 15, which i think bodes well for us at 12.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #175 on: November 03, 2013, 11:30:59 PM »
Brett Anderson from Inside Footy ‏@BrettAndersonIF twitter:

"Don't think Salem gets past 9 or 10 but still a long way to go!"

dwaino

« Reply #176 on: November 04, 2013, 10:53:57 AM »
Sounds like there will be a slider. I'm cool with that as there are a few names there I don't mind.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #177 on: November 04, 2013, 11:45:26 AM »
Sounds like there will be a slider. I'm cool with that as there are a few names there I don't mind.
Should end up with Scharenberg or Lennon. Could start a Welcome to Tigerland thread for both and just lock one later.  :lol

dwaino

« Reply #178 on: November 04, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »
 :lol if we get Scharenberg I'll try and do a backlflip.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #179 on: November 04, 2013, 12:14:36 PM »
is lennon a mid first or HFF?..skinny or solid build ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled