Author Topic: Who should we choose with our first draft pick?  (Read 37614 times)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Who should we choose with our first draft pick?
« Reply #210 on: November 09, 2013, 10:49:22 AM »
They'll have to take him at 6 which is good for our chances to get Scharenberg I think.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #211 on: November 09, 2013, 11:46:53 AM »
Barracked for Carltoncheat. Pass
So did Lids  :whistle

That's why he has a pea heart

Fek man, your becoming like some of the other old cynics around these parts  :-\ I take it you still PO about the eliminate final?
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #212 on: November 09, 2013, 12:08:25 PM »
Salem will go top 10 maybe even top 5!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #213 on: November 09, 2013, 01:33:26 PM »
That would surprise me, my mail rates him from 6 onwards,
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #214 on: November 09, 2013, 07:52:41 PM »
That would surprise me, my mail rates him from 6 onwards,

He is really being talked up at the moment.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #215 on: November 09, 2013, 09:38:25 PM »
some one will slip to us

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #216 on: November 10, 2013, 03:53:16 AM »
Callum Twomey ‏@AFL_CalTwomey twitter:

"Tassie's Kade Kolodjashnij in the mix for St Kilda's pick three. Big riser this year. Top five picks yet to settle."

Also in contention for the Dogs is Marcus Bontempelli

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-09/kade-kolodjashnijs-rise?utm_medium=RSS

If any of this is true then Aish and Billings slip to picks 5 & 6 and if McCarthy goes to the Lions at 7, Freeman to the Dees at 9 and Sheed to WC at 11 then we would get a choice out of the two of Scharenberg, Salem and Lennon who get past Collingwood at 10.

The media have also in the past week been linking Jones as one of the names in contention at our pick 12.

Callum Twomey ‏@AFL_CalTwomey twitter:

"Fair few clubs like Zak Jones. Should be a top-20 pick. Geelong, Fremantle, Richmond among those who could consider the tough half-back."

"Ben Lennon probably fits into the pick 10-12 range (Coll, WC, Rich). Be a good fit at Tigers. Lewy Taylor could get a look at GWS' pick 14."

Offline Tiger-Harted

• Future Richmond star
  • got to try everyday to keep mediocrity at bay
« Reply #217 on: November 10, 2013, 11:40:20 AM »
I would be happy with either Salem or Lennon (both have skills they we need)...

I've got my eye on Dwayne Wilson for pick 50 (with his speed he would be a replacment for Matty White) and would love to see us use pick 68 on Willy Rioli (he won't be a starter for 2014 but he would make a wonderful investment for 2015)...

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #218 on: November 10, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »
it doesnt seem impossible a previously rated top 3 / 5 draft selection could slide to richmond given the talk of players 2-12 and attempts to rank them  :pray

the claw

« Reply #219 on: November 10, 2013, 08:14:03 PM »
its still scharenburg, acres or sheed in that order for me. will say though i do like both lennon and salem.
still cant believe people are thinking sharenburg will slip out of the top 5 yet alone top 10.

people saying this draft is poor are wrong. i still think any pick inside the top 40 will snare a real good player if you do your homework.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #220 on: November 10, 2013, 11:07:34 PM »
its still scharenburg, acres or sheed in that order for me. will say though i do like both lennon and salem.
still cant believe people are thinking sharenburg will slip out of the top 5 yet alone top 10.

people saying this draft is poor are wrong. i still think any pick inside the top 40 will snare a real good player if you do your homework.

Hi claw
Since you are a big fan of acres, could you please let us all know what the status of his injuries were this year and if he is likely to have them again. Do you have any idea about this ?

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #221 on: November 11, 2013, 01:45:31 AM »

Personally I think we will be lucky if we get a good player at 12 to slide. Lennon looking like the only one of the real top group to be there. Otherwise we will be picking from the next tier.

I think teams picking from say 15-40 will be disappointed with the quality on offer for those picks where you can usually get better players. But I think it runs deep with guys that have some elite attributes but big holes in their game that you;d be happy to take late national or rookie draft. Unfortunately for some teams they'll have to use a top 30 pick on a guy you could normally rookie.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #222 on: November 11, 2013, 10:20:45 PM »
Ben Lennon looms as draft steal

Callum Twomey 
afl.com.au
November 11, 2013 9:57 PM

BEN LENNON could be one of this year's NAB AFL Draft steals, with the Victorian in line to get through to Richmond's pick No.12. 

The talented half-forward, who impressed during his week training at Richmond in January as part of his AIS-AFL Academy scholarship, will also be in contention at Collingwood's pick 10 and West Coast's selection 11.

But both the Magpies and Eagles have been more strongly linked to other players in that bracket, which could see Lennon get through to Punt Road.

Matt Scharenberg, Marcus Bontempelli, Nathan Freeman and Christian Salem are believed to be on Collingwood's draft radar with their two selections (six and 10).

West Coast will see if any of the players in the top bracket fall through to them at their first choice, but view the group from pick six through to 12 as being relatively even.

The Eagles traded pick No.6 in the draft for Collingwood's pick 11, as part of a deal to secure homesick Brisbane Lions defender Elliot Yeo.

West Australian midfielder Dom Sheed has been heavily linked to the Eagles throughout the year, but Lennon is also in the mix for West Coast if available.

Lennon's kicking and marking make him one of the most highly rated players in the draft, and he had a consistent year at all levels he played.

He was one of the Academy's best players against Collingwood's VFL team in March, won All Australian honours as a forward after the under-18 championships, and then shifted into the midfield for the Northern Knights as they pushed into the TAC Cup finals.

A number of recruiters have him placed in the best six to eight players in the draft pool.

Midfielders Blake Acres and Matt Crouch and half-back Zak Jones may also come into consideration for the Tigers if Lennon and Salem are selected before their first pick. 

Richmond has enjoyed a run of successes with its first selections over the last seven seasons.

Jack Riewoldt (2006), Trent Cotchin (2007), Tyrone Vickery (2008), Dustin Martin (2009), Reece Conca (2010), Brandon Ellis (2011) and Nick Vlastuin (2012) were the club's first picks in the last seven respective drafts, with all playing important roles in the Tigers' return to the finals in 2013.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-11/lennon-looms-as-a-steal?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #223 on: November 11, 2013, 10:23:28 PM »
PICK ME: Ben Lennon can make things happen and has the Pies, Lions and Tigers keen

Jay Clark
    November 11, 2013 7:00PM

Ben Lennon is a little bit like Robert Murphy.

BEN Lennon needs only a ­moment to shape a game.

Whether taking a gutsy mark running back with the flight of the ball, or slicing the field open with a 50m pass, the 187cm utility's skills are dazzling.

The Northern Knight this year averaged the third most contested marks and score involvements in the national under-18 championships and registered the third best kicking efficiency in the top-20 ball ­winners in the TAC Cup, according to Champion Data.

"He just has the right technique in any situation and, if you have got right technique, you can make things look good, but he can make it look really good," former Knights coach Marco Bello said.

The problem, though, with being such a "show-stopper", as one recruiter put it, is proving you can also roll up your sleeves and whack away in and under to get the ball. Busting your gut doing the less glamorous work.

If there was a query over Lennon's ability in this area, the All-Australian dismissed it late this season, putting him on Richmond's draft radar at pick No.12 or higher at pick 7, which belongs to Brisbane Lions.

He spent time at Punt Rd this year as part of the AIS/AFL squad, where one message from straight-shooting development coach Mark Williams was "shave your beard off, you look like a d---head".

After dominating games with his penetrating right-foot kicking on a back and forward flank, Lennon moved onto the ball late in the season to show he could win contested possessions in the midfield, and averaged 28 touches in his last five games.

It rounded out his game, proving the Vic Metro star, like Brendon Goddard, shapes as the ultimate utility.

"I think I did prove that I can play midfield, which taught me a lot and helped my confidence," Lennon said. "I hope I answered a few critics if there were any, but I've still got lot of stuff I have to work on."

His brilliant overhead marking, which proves a constant threat especially when isolated in the forward 50m, has its roots in cricket, playing for Macleod in the northern suburbs.

"The boys always put me in the slips cordon because they thought I had a pretty good eye," Lennon said.

Likewise, his kicking was painstakingly crafted alongside his sister, Grace, who spent long hours honing her golf skills on the driving range.

She is an amateur, hoping to turn pro next year.

Lennon has been invited to the draft on the Gold Coast on November 21,is looking for a similar career breakthrough.

"Having that role model helped instil in me that dedication and work ethic," he said.

"That (kicking) is my trade and I knew I had to work at it.''

BEN LENNON

Northern Knights

Height: 187cm

Weight: 79kg

Position: Utility

SuperCoach avg: 124 pts (TAC Cup)

Draft range: 7-12

In the mix: Brisbane (7), Collingwood (10), Richmond (12)

Plays like: Brendon Goddard

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/pick-me-ben-lennon-can-make-things-happen-and-has-the-pies-lions-and-tigers-keen/story-fnelctok-1226757595829#mm-breached

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #224 on: November 12, 2013, 02:33:53 AM »
Haven't heard anything new ior different from what I was last told but as the big day gets closer I'm starting to get a bad feeling we're going to massively over reach for pick 12. FJ & Hartley have a tendency to be a bit too smart for their own good IMO. So bearing that in mind , I'm now worried we'll grab someone like Crouch which will be the equivalent of using our first round pick on Tuck or Jackson.  Not happy with all this recent talk of Jones either. Getting Lennon, who I'm not a huge fan of,  would actually be a relief over those two. Also gone off Taylor in a big way - that would be like using a first round pick on Shane Edwards.

Acres still the one for me. I maintain he's the player that clubs will regret overlooking the most and will come back to bite the hardest. Like Grundy will be from last year, Darling from 2010 or Fyfe (who Acres reminds me most of) from 2009. (though I personally regret us overlooking Carlisle more - which is why I find it amusingly ironic some Richmond people are hoping Scharenberg slides.)

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.